Start by marking “The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass 0.1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  10,573 ratings  ·  828 reviews
A Throne of Glass novella.

On a remote island in a tropical sea, Celaena Sardothien, feared assassin, has come for retribution. She’s been sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect on a debt they are owed by the Lord of the Pirates. But when Celaena learns that the agreed payment is not in money, but in slaves, her mission suddenly changes—and she will risk everything to righ
Published February 16th 2012 by Bloomsbury (first published January 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, please sign up.

SERIESous Book Reviews You don't have to, though it provides insight into Celaena's character. She's quite jaded in Throne of Glass and some people find that off putting…moreYou don't have to, though it provides insight into Celaena's character. She's quite jaded in Throne of Glass and some people find that off putting because they don't know her backstory. I found that reading the novellas first let me understand Celaena's outlook on life and her personality, allowing me to enjoy Throne of Glass a lot more since I wasn't becoming frustrated with her nonchalant attitude. (less)

Grace (LovingDemBooks)
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

4 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below. LOVE, LOVE, LOVED THIS ONE! I WISH SAM WAS ACTUALLY IN THE SERIES NOW.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting through it. (A 4 star rating is the highest rating
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3 stars

I admit that I did not enjoy this book as much as I wanted. I decided to try the first novella because of all the hype with the series so I expected much more than I got. I will continue the series at some point but I'm not in the mood for it right now.

My main issue was with the heroine. I found her way too arrogant, spoiled and self-righteous. How can a 16 year-old girl believe that she is so much better than other people with twice her age and training? Maybe my issue is that the book i
Erika
Apr 13, 2012 Erika rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of YA genre and adventure books.
I had waited quite a long time to read a good story about an assassin heroine. Sarah J. Mass certainly didn't disappoint me.
“Why?” Sam stepped close enough that she needed to tilt her head back to see his face. “We’re assassins. We kill people. We destroy lives every day.”

“We have a choice,” she breathed.

The assassin is Celaena Sardothien, a sixteen years old teenage girl. Her age was the only thing that cute about her. Celaena is the best assassin that Assassin’s Guild have. She's beautiful
Kim
So I remember vaguely remember reading Queen of Glass (now Throne of Glass) on fictionpress years ago, like when I was in high school, and I remembered being extremely impressed with the idea of Cinderella as an assassin. I only read the first part of the story, so I can only give my opinion of the first part. The story and idea was wonderful and creative, but the writing definitely needed some improvement.

I was rather excited for this novella because I was interested in the story, but I also h
Robin (Bridge Four)
Celaena was a little bit of a brat in the beginning. However her drive to protect her friends is still there and you can see that she really is a strong woman even from someone so young.

The cute interactions with Sam are fun. She almost flirts by threatening and it is so her. Even now she has such a strong sense of morality for an assassin and I find that refreshing.

This is a really good look into her beginnings and her relationship with the Assassin Lord.
F.J.
It has been two years since I first read The Assassin and the Pirate Lord and encountered Ardalan's greatest assassin Celaena Sardothien. In these two years I read Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight - which turned my opinion about the author and the series around by 180.

If you'd like to take a look at my old review, click on the spoiler. (view spoiler)

Lisa
After hearing so many positive things (prior to publication) about Throne of Glass, I was expecting a lot from the first prequel, The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, and boy was I disappointed. I typically have little to say about short stories and novellas—just read my embarrassing attempts at writing a review for the various short-story collections I've read—but there is a lot to say about this one and none of it is positive.

This story was a miss in terms of writing and characterization. The no
Amie Kaufman
I started reading on the train platform heading home from work, and I ended up finishing this novella sitting in my car at the station at the other end of my commute--I couldn't deal with stopping long enough to drive home.

As we follow Celaena into the territory of the Pirate Lord, we end up in the middle of a tale that's part fantasy, part adventure and part Pirates of the Caribbean (with an awesome assassin as our leading lady). I was drawn immediately into the action, and this was a fascinati
Melissa
This was such a fun, quick novella. I read the first 3 Throne of Glass books back in January, and I left the novellas to read until now so that the wait for book 4 was more bearable, with these to read half way through. And I really enjoyed this, so much that I just want to jump in and read the rest of the novellas.

It was great to see how Celaena was before the first book. I love her character so much, so to see she was even more badass originally, was super cool. Sam was an interesting charact
Erin Bowman
This is one of four novellas to be published in the coming months, each of which precede the events in ToG. In this novella, a younger (but still stubborn and brave) Celaena is sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect a debt owed by the Pirate Lord. What she finds is a payment not of money, but of slaves, throwing her into a moral dilemma. Though it is a quick and easy read, this novella is packed with action and intrigue. It is impossible to not root for Celaena and her partner-in-crime, Sam. Yo ...more
Ruth
Fue corto pero sin embargo me encanto. Me gusto conocer a una Celaena de 16 años, estaba muriéndome por conocer a Arobynn y a Sam y aunque Arobynn solo sale al principio se puede decir que me gusto. Creo que ame a Celaena y a Sam, el equipo que hacían sobretodo, y mas aun porque ninguno de los dos se soportaba el uno al otro bueno en realidad Sam no soportaba el ego e impulsividad de Celaena. Por otro lado Sam me encanto, es una pena saber que se muere porque era bastante gracioso aunque con un ...more
Susan
Celaena is tough, stubborn, and impulsive--we all know that from THRONE OF GLASS...but she wasn't always AS tough (though she was certainly MORE stubborn and MORE impulsive).

In this novella preceding the events of Sarah J. Maas's famed THRONE OF GLASS, we get to see that young, untried Celaena. Don't get me wrong--when I say "untried", I don't mean "weak". She can still kick your butt (with her hands tied behind her back and her eyes blindfolded), but her edges haven't yet reached the sharp, ven
Veronica Morfi
This is the first of a series of prequel novellas for the Throne of Glass. In this story we are intoduced to Celaena, a 16 year old assassin. She is the best and most feared assassin of her Guild after her master. In this novella she is send to a remote island to claim something for her master without realizing that what she is there to collect is slaves. With the help of the assassin she despises the most in her Guild, Celaena will try to find a way to free the slaves and get away with it too.

I
Steph Su
Well... I'm glad that there was a novella that I could peruse before deciding whether or not I want to read Throne of Glass later this year. My worst fears for Throne of Glass came true in THE ASSASSIN AND THE PIRATE LORD: that, far from being a YA fantasy worthy of Game of Throne fans' attention, it features amateurish writing, an underdeveloped fantasy world, and an unlikable main character with unexplained motivations.

Let's start with Celaena. Now, I have nothing against assassins as main cha
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
This was such the perfect start because you get to see Celaena doing her thing being badass but you can also see some redeeming qualities coming to the surface which Sam is starting to realise too. The love-hate relationship between the two is just perfect!

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/ as part of my full review for Assassin's Blade
Marga
3.5/5 stars

"Sam?"
"Hmm?"
"If you ever tell anyone about me embracing you... I'll gut you."

It's nice to see the Celaena before she was captured.. And I think I'm going to love Sam. And I'm going to get my heart broken. And why do I think I'm sort of not loyal to Chaol? Hmm.
Jean Pearl
OMG!!!!! You didn't disappoint me, Ms. Sarah!!! I've expected so much and I'm so happy that I actually enjoy and love The Assassin and the Pirate Lord!!! Mwah!! I.Love.You! I can't waaaaaiiiittttt for the next novella and of course for your epic and legendary, Queen of Glass, now the Throne of Glass to come out this August!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!

ps: ive finally met the formidable, infamous and kick-ass Celaena Sardothien that i kept on hearing about in fictionpress, since a couple of years prior, and
Jasmine
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord is a novella of the Throne of Glass series and I initially thought it'd be a great book. After a few pages of reading, I started to get bored by the main character, Celaena Sardothien's attitude and behavior. I mean, she was just a 16-year-old girl and she acted way too mature. Just because she was trained to be a professional assassin or protégée doesn't mean she had to be that mature. I don't like the arrogance in her tone whenever she talked to the Pirate or t ...more
Awwww I absolutely adored this story! I missed this world so much and this was exactly what I needed after finishing Champion. I can't wait to read the other stories. It's crazy how much I love Celaena and this fantastic world Sarah Maas created.
I couldn't recommend this series high enough.
Bel
“Embracing Sam was different, somehow. Like she wanted to curl into his warmth, like for one moment, she didn't have to worry about anything or anybody.”

Pues por fin leyendo la famosa saga de la que espero no arrepentirme jajaja pero de principios me gusta Celaena que haya mas fondo que una simple asesina porque para tener 16 años y ser ya la asesina más temida como habrá sido su vida? en fin con ganas de seguir con los siguientes y Sam me ha encantado <333333333333
This was a good short story in which Celaena takes on a bunch of pirates in an attempt to free 200 slaves. Celaena was smart and feisty, and I liked the way she went out of her way to free people who she believed to be innocent.
Overall; good short story.
7 out of 10
Jessica
Admito que quería que pasara algo entre Celaena y Rolfe, idk. Algo así super random, sexo de una noche, quién sabe.

Como loca yo XD, qué es.

En fin... Celaena y Sam OTP.
Heidi
May 29, 2012 Heidi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those waiting on Throne of Glass.
3.5 stars.

Like many of you, I have been incredibly excited about the upcoming Throne of Glass. I know some of you have already read and loved it, but I, in true masochistic fashion, am forcing myself to hold off. Why? Well friends, if there’s something that will override temptation for me, it’s O.C.D., and part of my book O.C.D. involves reading things in order. That’s where these lovely novellas come in. I love getting the chance at a sneak peak into this series. I like the idea that I’ll know
Franci Karou Cat
Recensione completa qui: http://leggendariamente.blogspot.it/2...

Dire che questo piccolo racconto mi abbia conquistata è dire poco! Si tratta di un fantasy ambientato in una terra immensa , variegata, costituita da diversi popoli, culture e realtà. Quella di Celeana Sardothien è una delle più pericolose, perchè lei appartiene alla gilda degli Assassini. E' la più temibile e anche la più brava, nonostante la giovane età. Infatti, a sedici anni rischia di non essere abbastanza credibile come assas
Amy
That was definitely an enjoyable read. In just a few short chapters, Sarah J. Maas succeeded in letting us readers who have never read QueenThrone of Glass back in its Fictionpress days come to understand Celaena with all her formidable strengths and her many glaring faults. The two star rating does not in any way mean that I disliked the story—no love or hate here, just a kind of non-feeling state of mind resulted when I finished. It was truly just "okay"—although I definitely got a Pirates of ...more
Kierra
Celaena is a b*tch!
Yeah, you are the scariest assassin in the world, we know. That doesn't mean you have to be so arrogant!

Other than that, the story is written for 12 year olds. Nothing good.
Nikki
When I saw the novellas on sale leading up to the publication of the novel Throne of Glass, I thought I'd buy it and see what I thought. It's a competent enough little adventure story, but all of it is done with a broad brush and I found it rather obvious. I'm already having trouble thinking of the main female character's name -- Calaena -- and I can't help but think of Scott Lynch's Sabetha as I read about her, somehow...

I don't think it particularly stands out from the crowd, and I don't think
Sharon Mariampillai
This is the first novella of the five novellas for The Throne of Glass series. This novella is a quick and easy read. It was full of action. This follows the story of the Throne of Glass character, Celaena. In this novella, she collects debt from the Pirate Lord. She faces some difficulty when she finds out that the payment is not money, but a number of slaves. Sam is interesting because he acts like he doesn't love Celaena when he really does. Really enjoyed this novella.
Kelli Spear
I wasn't sure how relevant these would be to the rest of Celaena's story. I often find these novellas written after the success of a book are lacking and just added to give the reader more while they wait for the next installment. I quickly learned this was going to be different.

Celaena's background in Throne of Glass was vague. We knew she'd been an assassin, and the best, but we only heard hints of what she'd done.

This first story introduced us to Sam who had been alluded to in book one. I d
Katy
At first, I was a little disappointed because I felt a lot of it just glossed over just how awesome Celaena was, and I remember thinking if I had read this novella first, I don't know if I would read the book or not. But the second part of it was just full of action and really showed just how badass she can be. Of course, I'm already psyched about this series because I liked the first one so much. Can't wait for the next installment.
Throne of Glass F...: The Prequels 22 140 Jun 03, 2015 07:56AM
Throne of Glass F...: Sam Cortland 40 406 Apr 07, 2015 07:11PM
Throne of Glass F...: The Assassin and the Pirate Lord 4 47 Oct 02, 2014 09:03PM
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Seraphina: The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • The First Kiss (The Iron Fey, #1.25)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse, 0.5)
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
  • Crushed (Soul Eater, #2)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Volcrian's Hunt (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3)
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus War, #0.5)
  • Ice Study (Study, #3.6)
  • Thistle & Thorne
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too
More about Sarah J. Maas...

Throne of Glass (6 books)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Untitled (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Untitled (Throne of Glass, #6)
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)

“He couldn't be dead. Not from the dagger, or those dozen pirates, or from the catapult. No, Sam couldn't be so stupid that he'd get himself killed. She'd... she'd... Well she'd kill him if he was dead.” 66 likes
“Sam smiled, his brown eyes turning golden in the dawn. It was such a Sam look, the twinkle of mischief, the hint of exasperation, the kindness that would always, always make him a better person than she was.” 51 likes