Start by marking “The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass 0.1)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,287 Ratings  ·  965 Reviews
A Throne of Glass novella.

On a remote island in a tropical sea, Celaena Sardothien, feared assassin, has come for retribution. She’s been sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect on a debt they are owed by the Lord of the Pirates. But when Celaena learns that the agreed payment is not in money, but in slaves, her mission suddenly changes—and she will risk everything to righ
Published February 16th 2012 by Bloomsbury (first published January 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, please sign up.

SERIESous Book Reviews You don't have to, though it provides insight into Celaena's character. She's quite jaded in Throne of Glass and some people find that off putting…moreYou don't have to, though it provides insight into Celaena's character. She's quite jaded in Throne of Glass and some people find that off putting because they don't know her backstory. I found that reading the novellas first let me understand Celaena's outlook on life and her personality, allowing me to enjoy Throne of Glass a lot more since I wasn't becoming frustrated with her nonchalant attitude. (less)

Pearl Angeli
Sep 15, 2015 Pearl Angeli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
What an incredible start of The Assassin’s Blade!

This novella made me admire the notorious assassin Celaena Sardothien more. Her character here is far more well-developed compared to her character in Throne of Glass. In this novella, her bad-assery can easily be perceived. She’s braver, more dangerous, and a lot more ferocious than I’ve ever thought. Sarah J. Maas has really given us a firecracker of a female main character!

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord is the first novella of The Assassin’s
Skyscraper
For an assassin, Celeana sure didn't lose her morals. Killing is a fast end. Slavery is endless torture. She couldn't stand by and and watch her master destroy lives, so she had to interfere.

I loved the first scene where she did what no one could, and I kept thinking "SLAY SLAY SLAY". Celeana's character sure is refreshing, although I'd prefer a little less time people talking about her beauty and more time her kicking ass.

Although Sam annoyed me in the beginning with his whining he kinda grew
Grace (LovingDemBooks)
Feb 23, 2015 Grace (LovingDemBooks) rated it really liked it
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

4 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below. LOVE, LOVE, LOVED THIS ONE! I WISH SAM WAS ACTUALLY IN THE SERIES NOW.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting through it. (A 4 star rating is the highest rating
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3 stars

I admit that I did not enjoy this book as much as I wanted. I decided to try the first novella because of all the hype with the series so I expected much more than I got. I will continue the series at some point but I'm not in the mood for it right now.

My main issue was with the heroine. I found her way too arrogant, spoiled and self-righteous. How can a 16 year-old girl believe that she is so much better than other people with twice her age and training? Maybe my issue is that the book i
Erika
Apr 13, 2012 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of YA genre and adventure books.
I had waited quite a long time to read a good story about an assassin heroine. Sarah J. Mass certainly didn't disappoint me.
“Why?” Sam stepped close enough that she needed to tilt her head back to see his face. “We’re assassins. We kill people. We destroy lives every day.”

“We have a choice,” she breathed.

The assassin is Celaena Sardothien, a sixteen years old teenage girl. Her age was the only thing that cute about her. Celaena is the best assassin that Assassin’s Guild have. She's beautiful
✔Jasmine✔
**Re-read on September 22nd-23rd, 2015:
Actual rating: 3.5/5 stars
I personally think the novella wasn't as good as the first three books from the series. Celaena Sardothien was 16 years old in this book and at that time, Sam Cortland was still alive, but I couldn't tolerate her gargantuan arrogance at all! Although I did better understand the story plot after reading the sequels first this time, her impossibly terrible attitude was the most dislike part for me.
“One day,” Rolfe said, too quietly
Chantal
Jan 28, 2016 Chantal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amo Sam anche se avendo già letto TOG so cosa accadrà T.T
Kim
Feb 14, 2012 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So I remember vaguely remember reading Queen of Glass (now Throne of Glass) on fictionpress years ago, like when I was in high school, and I remembered being extremely impressed with the idea of Cinderella as an assassin. I only read the first part of the story, so I can only give my opinion of the first part. The story and idea was wonderful and creative, but the writing definitely needed some improvement.

I was rather excited for this novella because I was interested in the story, but I also h
Robin (Bridge Four)
Celaena was a little bit of a brat in the beginning. However her drive to protect her friends is still there and you can see that she really is a strong woman even from someone so young.

The cute interactions with Sam are fun. She almost flirts by threatening and it is so her. Even now she has such a strong sense of morality for an assassin and I find that refreshing.

This is a really good look into her beginnings and her relationship with the Assassin Lord.
F.J.
It has been two years since I first read The Assassin and the Pirate Lord and encountered Ardalan's greatest assassin Celaena Sardothien. In these two years I read Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight - which turned my opinion about the author and the series around by 180.

If you'd like to take a look at my old review, click on the spoiler. (view spoiler)

Lisa
Aug 15, 2012 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
After hearing so many positive things (prior to publication) about Throne of Glass, I was expecting a lot from the first prequel, The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, and boy was I disappointed. I typically have little to say about short stories and novellas—just read my embarrassing attempts at writing a review for the various short-story collections I've read—but there is a lot to say about this one and none of it is positive.

This story was a miss in terms of writing and characterization. The no
Christina (Christina's Book Corner)
Amie Kaufman
Jan 21, 2012 Amie Kaufman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy
I started reading on the train platform heading home from work, and I ended up finishing this novella sitting in my car at the station at the other end of my commute--I couldn't deal with stopping long enough to drive home.

As we follow Celaena into the territory of the Pirate Lord, we end up in the middle of a tale that's part fantasy, part adventure and part Pirates of the Caribbean (with an awesome assassin as our leading lady). I was drawn immediately into the action, and this was a fascinati
Melissa
May 16, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
This was such a fun, quick novella. I read the first 3 Throne of Glass books back in January, and I left the novellas to read until now so that the wait for book 4 was more bearable, with these to read half way through. And I really enjoyed this, so much that I just want to jump in and read the rest of the novellas.

It was great to see how Celaena was before the first book. I love her character so much, so to see she was even more badass originally, was super cool. Sam was an interesting charact
Erin Bowman
This is one of four novellas to be published in the coming months, each of which precede the events in ToG. In this novella, a younger (but still stubborn and brave) Celaena is sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect a debt owed by the Pirate Lord. What she finds is a payment not of money, but of slaves, throwing her into a moral dilemma. Though it is a quick and easy read, this novella is packed with action and intrigue. It is impossible to not root for Celaena and her partner-in-crime, Sam. Yo ...more
Miss Book
Dec 26, 2015 Miss Book rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
*4.5*
This was very fun and action-packed and I'm glad we finally got to meet Sam!
Courtnie
Jan 07, 2016 Courtnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2016
I looked around to see if I should read this before embarking on "Throne of Glass". It seemed like a good jumping off point, being a prequel and all, but you never know with prequels as sometimes they make less sense without knowing the future story. Go figure.

And a prequel is a good test run for writing style.

I really, really liked this and can't wait to read the prequel sequel (there are three prequels?). Calaena, though she comes off as spoiled, judgmental and arrogant, feels like she's goi
Ruth
Jan 03, 2015 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, assassins, best-otp-s, 2014
Fue corto pero sin embargo me encanto. Me gusto conocer a una Celaena de 16 años, estaba muriéndome por conocer a Arobynn y a Sam y aunque Arobynn solo sale al principio se puede decir que me gusto. Creo que ame a Celaena y a Sam, el equipo que hacían sobretodo, y mas aun porque ninguno de los dos se soportaba el uno al otro bueno en realidad Sam no soportaba el ego e impulsividad de Celaena. Por otro lado Sam me encanto, es una pena saber que se muere porque era bastante gracioso aunque con un ...more
Susan
Jan 20, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Celaena is tough, stubborn, and impulsive--we all know that from THRONE OF GLASS...but she wasn't always AS tough (though she was certainly MORE stubborn and MORE impulsive).

In this novella preceding the events of Sarah J. Maas's famed THRONE OF GLASS, we get to see that young, untried Celaena. Don't get me wrong--when I say "untried", I don't mean "weak". She can still kick your butt (with her hands tied behind her back and her eyes blindfolded), but her edges haven't yet reached the sharp, ven
Veronica Morfi
Apr 21, 2012 Veronica Morfi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of a series of prequel novellas for the Throne of Glass. In this story we are intoduced to Celaena, a 16 year old assassin. She is the best and most feared assassin of her Guild after her master. In this novella she is send to a remote island to claim something for her master without realizing that what she is there to collect is slaves. With the help of the assassin she despises the most in her Guild, Celaena will try to find a way to free the slaves and get away with it too.

I
Steph Su
Jun 27, 2012 Steph Su rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debs12, e-book
Well... I'm glad that there was a novella that I could peruse before deciding whether or not I want to read Throne of Glass later this year. My worst fears for Throne of Glass came true in THE ASSASSIN AND THE PIRATE LORD: that, far from being a YA fantasy worthy of Game of Throne fans' attention, it features amateurish writing, an underdeveloped fantasy world, and an unlikable main character with unexplained motivations.

Let's start with Celaena. Now, I have nothing against assassins as main cha
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
This was such the perfect start because you get to see Celaena doing her thing being badass but you can also see some redeeming qualities coming to the surface which Sam is starting to realise too. The love-hate relationship between the two is just perfect!

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/ as part of my full review for Assassin's Blade
Marga
3.5/5 stars

"Sam?"
"Hmm?"
"If you ever tell anyone about me embracing you... I'll gut you."

It's nice to see the Celaena before she was captured.. And I think I'm going to love Sam. And I'm going to get my heart broken. And why do I think I'm sort of not loyal to Chaol? Hmm.
Jean Pearl
OMG!!!!! You didn't disappoint me, Ms. Sarah!!! I've expected so much and I'm so happy that I actually enjoy and love The Assassin and the Pirate Lord!!! Mwah!! I.Love.You! I can't waaaaaiiiittttt for the next novella and of course for your epic and legendary, Queen of Glass, now the Throne of Glass to come out this August!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!

ps: ive finally met the formidable, infamous and kick-ass Celaena Sardothien that i kept on hearing about in fictionpress, since a couple of years prior, and
Sabrina Baker
Jan 07, 2016 Sabrina Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as I expected, it was packed with action and fierceness.
Rache
Nov 22, 2015 Rache rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novellas
I already know I'm going to suffer when the time comes and he dies. But let me enjoy this, please. I may ship this more than the other ships.
Dec 07, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, novella, 2014
Awwww I absolutely adored this story! I missed this world so much and this was exactly what I needed after finishing Champion. I can't wait to read the other stories. It's crazy how much I love Celaena and this fantastic world Sarah Maas created.
I couldn't recommend this series high enough.
Bel
Jul 20, 2015 Bel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Embracing Sam was different, somehow. Like she wanted to curl into his warmth, like for one moment, she didn't have to worry about anything or anybody.”

Pues por fin leyendo la famosa saga de la que espero no arrepentirme jajaja pero de principios me gusta Celaena que haya mas fondo que una simple asesina porque para tener 16 años y ser ya la asesina más temida como habrá sido su vida? en fin con ganas de seguir con los siguientes y Sam me ha encantado <333333333333
Rosemarie Short
There's a lot of good to this novella. For fans of Throne of Glass you will get a fascinating glimpse into Sam - Celaena's mysterious first love. You also get to see Celaena at her best; stalking her prey, being underwhelmed by pompous men and parading her arrogance to all the world.

However for me this lacks characterization. There's plenty I would miss out for the sake of seeing Sam or the titular Pirate Lord - it would have been really satisfying to see more of the reasoning behind his machin
Jun 07, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014, fantasy
This was a good short story in which Celaena takes on a bunch of pirates in an attempt to free 200 slaves. Celaena was smart and feisty, and I liked the way she went out of her way to free people who she believed to be innocent.
Overall; good short story.
7 out of 10
Queen Maas' Assas...: Sam Cortland 62 550 Nov 28, 2015 01:15PM
Queen Maas' Assas...: The Prequels 22 154 Jun 03, 2015 07:56AM
Queen Maas' Assas...: The Assassin and the Pirate Lord 4 55 Oct 02, 2014 09:03PM
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • Seraphina: The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The First Kiss (The Iron Fey, #1.25)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse, 0.5)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • Thistle & Thorne
  • Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Volcrian's Hunt (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3)
  • Assassin Study (Study, #1.5)
  • The Glowing Knight (The Orphan Queen, #0.2)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too
More about Sarah J. Maas...

Throne of Glass (6 books)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Untitled (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Untitled (Throne of Glass, #6)

“He couldn't be dead. Not from the dagger, or those dozen pirates, or from the catapult. No, Sam couldn't be so stupid that he'd get himself killed. She'd... she'd... Well she'd kill him if he was dead.” 77 likes
“Sam smiled, his brown eyes turning golden in the dawn. It was such a Sam look, the twinkle of mischief, the hint of exasperation, the kindness that would always, always make him a better person than she was.” 57 likes