Start by marking “The Treble Wore Trouble” as Want to Read:
The Treble Wore Trouble

The Treble Wore Trouble (The Liturgical Mystery #11)

Police Chief Hayden Konig is right at home in his little mountain town of St. Germaine, North Carolina. As a detective, he’s first rate. As the organist and choir director at St. Barnabas Church, he is par excellence. But, as a crime writer, he’s a far cry from his hard-boiled hero, Raymond Chandler. Still, he is not deterred. Why should he be? He owns Mr. Chandler’s typew ...more
Published June 16th 2012 by SJMP Books (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Treble Wore Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treble Wore Trouble

Liz
Mar 01, 2015 Liz rated it liked it
all Schweizer's books are fun. This one is no exception. Parts are laugh out loud, tears running down my cheeks funny. Others you just need to breeze through.
Julia Walker
Dec 29, 2015 Julia Walker rated it it was amazing
As always, great fun!
Catherine Leggitt
Aug 24, 2015 Catherine Leggitt rated it really liked it
Another fun journey to St. Germaine, North Carolina. Always a pleasure to visit Police Chief Hayden Konig, detective, choir director and organist at St. Barnabas Church, and author of Raymond-Chandleresque crime novels. In this episode, Konig investigates the odd murder of a diminutive Native American along with a kidnapping. Although they don't appear to be connected, from the beginning, Konig is convinced they are. And once again, his skill as a detective leads him to a satisfactory conclusion ...more
Margaret
Oct 02, 2016 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Happy Lent

Thumping good read. Humorous as all get out. Who knew truffles and pigs and leprechauns were so funny. Raymond Chandler
Judy
Mar 04, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it
This is the eleventh book in the Liturgical Mystery series and it is just as much fun as the others. Police Chief Hayden Konig is also the organist and the choir director of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church in St. Germaine, North Carolina. He is less than thrilled with the new priest, the Rev. Rosemary Pepperpot-Cohosh, who was a Lutheran minister before becoming an Episcopal priest. It seems that Mother P. wants to change the service and the approach to worship at St. Barnabas and it is causing mu ...more
C is for **censored**
Sep 29, 2012 C is for **censored** rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
The star rating given reflects my opinion within ‘the official goodreads rating system’.

1 star: Didn’t Like it
2 stars: It’s Okay
3 stars: Liked it
4 stars: Really Liked it
5 stars: It Was Amazing

I don’t really give a rat-fuck that there are some who think I ‘owe’ an explanation for my opinion. Nope, nada, and not sorry about it.

Sometimes I may add notes to explain what my opinions are based on, and sometimes I don’t. I do this for me, on my books, in my library and I don’t ‘owe’ any special snowfla
Kilian Metcalf
Sep 23, 2012 Kilian Metcalf rated it really liked it
Another liturgical mystery bites the dust with an air of satisfaction. Long may Mark write these silly, funny, and sardonic books. Portia, the truffle-sniffing pig is a character worthy of her own series. 1/15/2013

So it's three years later, and I'm rereading the series. They are just as much fun the second time around. I don't know how Mark Schweizer can continue to produce these frothy, light-hearted stories filled with puns and piffle, but I'll keep buying and rereading them as long as he does
Sara
Oct 11, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, 2012
Another fun story in St. Germaine, NC! I love these books, though this one made me sad because one of my favorite non-essential characters met her untimely end. :(

This is full of the same things we expect from these cozies--really bad (but funny!) Raymond Chandler writing impressions by the main character, politics of the church, small-town fun, and this time kidnapping and murder. I love these books!

I saw that Schweizer has a new series, I went ahead and purchased it for my Kindle. I'll give it
Bill Kuhlman
Mar 14, 2013 Bill Kuhlman rated it it was amazing
The Liturgical Mysteries are great fun. Mr. Schweizer does a very accurate job of purveying the work of a liturgical musician in an Episcopal church setting. But beyond that, the protagonist of his pieces is a detective/chief of police in a small town in the southeast and goes about solving various mysteries in somewhat unorthodox ways. Along the journeys there is lots of fun to be had, and a lot of "satire" regarding church choirs, parish pastors and so forth. Good reads.
Jessie Verino
Jul 09, 2012 Jessie Verino rated it really liked it
Love this series! This book reminds me of his earlier books. The truffle pig was great and not as out there as the gorilla of an earlier work. Looks like Mother P may be staying awhile, as it seems that she learned her lessons with the children's moment and the "ill-eagle." Or at least some lessons. (Hayden's Kyrie).

The only complaint I have is that it takes too long to get through all the who's who's at the beginning of the book (30%) and the first murder.
Bob Olson
Jul 01, 2012 Bob Olson rated it it was amazing
The latest story in Schweizer's Liturgical Mysteries is perhaps his best yet. Once again, our hero Police Captain/Organist-Choir Director of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church finds himself in a murder involving a parishioner as well as a kidnapping, a second murder and a Federal Investigation regarding a stuffed American Eagle. All the while, he is again struggling to imitate Raymond Chandler as a mystery author with his own style of Chandleresque metaphors. Highly recommended for lovers of satire.
Deb
Jul 09, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing
Mix Hayden Konig, a truffle pig, a Baby Evangelist, and Rev. Rosemary Pepperpot-Cohosh, season with a murder or two, and sprinkle with a new mass written by St. Barnabas' organist, and you have a hilarious new offering in The Treble Wore Trouble. I feel for the St. Barnabas congegration as they suffer through Mother P's experiments with blended worship! Hayden's Kyrie has become an earworm too!
Stuart
Aug 01, 2015 Stuart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The mystery element was more substantial in this installment, which I liked. But having read eleven books in the series one after the other, I find the detailed repetition of every ccharacter's back story to be wearing thin. I'm fairly sure that few readers would start with the penultimate book in the series, so by this book, a lot of the filler could've been dropped.
Ann Busbey
Oct 09, 2012 Ann Busbey rated it really liked it
I found this book on the "Recommended" shelf at the library and since I'm always looking for new authors, I decided to pick it up. Although the plot wasn't spectacular, the writing was witty and made me laugh. I especially related to the liturgical choir aspect of the story. I will definitely read other books in the series.
Beth Wood
Jul 05, 2013 Beth Wood rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, funny, fiction
If you haven't read any of the liturgical mysteries by Mark Schweizer, you are in for a treat. They are really funny, and contain wonderful portrayals of both the Episcopal church and small-town North Carolina. As an added layer, the main character, Hayden Konig, writes really, really bad noir detective stories, bits of which are included in the larger story.
David R.
Jun 20, 2012 David R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This 11th in the series of "liturgical mysteries" in the hamlet of St Germaine, NC is a fine romp. The mystery (actually a set of multiple crimes) is tight and plausible), the characters are vivid and entertaining, and the side stories are a hoot, including one about a truffle-sniffing pig and another about a stuffed Bald Eagle. This is definitely one of Schweizer's best!
Janet Keeten
Jul 03, 2012 Janet Keeten rated it it was amazing

As expected, this book delivered its usual joy. I laughed out loud several times and had to seriously refrain from reading the whole book aloud to my husband. I wish I lived in St. Germaine, and small towns are not my cup of tea. Highly recommended to anyone who needs an escape and a laugh.
Minor F. Avery
Jan 28, 2014 Minor F. Avery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read for winter

Another delightful book by Mark Schweizer. His characters, locale and storyline are just perfect for some light reading. Once you begin this series you will be hooked.
Becky Swanson
Jul 06, 2012 Becky Swanson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny
The depiction of the Children's Moment based on Psalm 91 should be required reading for every pastor, cantor and especially CYF or minister of Faith Formation EVER. It ranks right up there with the Christmas pageant scene in "Prayer for Owen Meaney". Even without Bernadette and Moosey.
Laurie Devereaux
INITIATED OR NOT

If you are degreed in some aspect of music, you will be in danger of falling out of your chair with hilarity, but a degree or two is not required to share the delights of this or others in the series. Can't wait for more!
Josh Hamacher
Aug 01, 2012 Josh Hamacher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny
It's no secret I love the Liturgical Mysteries - I find them to be laugh-out-loud funny. This book was no exception. As a bonus, the mystery portion of the story was better than in some of the other entries in the series.
Nancy
Feb 16, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
As a member of a liturgical church, reading this between Ash Wednesday and the first Sunday of Lent made for some interesting comparisons, since that is the time period of this story....I was especially amused when we sang 'On Eagles Wings' for the first Sunday after Lent!!
Jane
Jun 21, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-myst
Up to his usual standard - silly, zany, hysterical. Lots of references to the earlier books, so read 'em in order for full humor value.
Aug 11, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Love this series. Fun, tongue-in-cheek, light reading.
Karen
Aug 04, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
Mark's books always make me laugh! Loved this one!!!
Marty
Aug 01, 2012 Marty rated it really liked it
Great fun. Mark's books are always good for a laugh.
Kate
Sep 25, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
It is nice to have something completely silly to read now and then. Thank you Mark Schweizer.
Paula
Nov 15, 2012 Paula added it
So happy to see there is another entry in this hilarious mystery series. Can't wait to read it. In the meantime I'll reread the Christmas Cantata.
Ellen
Oct 23, 2012 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There are parts in this book that are so funny I end up coughing up a storm. Book should come with a free bottle of cough syrup! I have read all of these books and I hope there are more coming.
Sarah Brock
Sarah Brock rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Tale of Two Elmos (Elmo Jenkins #4)
  • Laugh Your Way to Grace: Reclaiming the Spiritual Power of Humor
  • St. Nick
  • From Survival to Recovery: Growing Up in an Alcoholic Home
  • Memoirs of a Widowed Mistress: A Love Story
  • Dear White America: Letter to a New Minority
  • The Art of Purring (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #2)
  • Wolf Hunt 2
  • Are the Dinosaurs Dead, Dad?
  • Bully.com
  • The Beatitudes: From Slavery to Civil Rights
  • Dorothea Benton Frank Collection: Sullivan's Island \ Plantation \ Isle of Palms \ Shem Creek
  • Being Frank
420648
In 1974, Mark Schweizer, a brand-new high-school graduate decided to eschew the family architectural business and become an opera singer. Against all prevailing wisdom and despite jokes from his peers such as "What does the music major say after his first job interview?" (answer: You want fries with that?), he enrolled in the Music School at Stetson University. To his father, the rationale was obv ...more
More about Mark Schweizer...

The Liturgical Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Alto Wore Tweed (The Liturgical Mystery #1)
  • The Baritone Wore Chiffon (The Liturgical Mystery #2)
  • The Tenor Wore Tapshoes (The Liturgical Mystery #3)
  • The Soprano Wore Falsettos (The Liturgical Mystery #4)
  • The Bass Wore Scales (The Liturgical Mystery #5)
  • The Mezzo Wore Mink (The Liturgical Mystery #6)
  • The Diva Wore Diamonds (The Liturgical Mystery #7)
  • The Organist Wore Pumps (The Liturgical Mystery #8)
  • The Countertenor Wore Garlic (The Liturgical Mystery #9)
  • The Christmas Cantata (The Liturgical Mysteries)

“Holy crap, it's the end of the world," Pedro said, missing yet another chance to demonstrate that he could differentiate between scatology and eschatology.” 0 likes