Start by marking “Ironskin (Ironskin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ironskin (Ironskin, #1)

Ironskin (Ironskin #1)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  2,233 ratings  ·  507 reviews
Jane Eliot wears an iron mask.

It’s the only way to contain the fey curse that scars her cheek. The Great War is five years gone, but its scattered victims remain—the ironskin.

When a carefully worded listing appears for a governess to assist with a "delicate situation"—a child born during the Great War—Jane is certain the child is fey-cursed, and that she can help.

Teachi
Published October 2nd 2012 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Ironskin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ironskin

Ann Aguirre
This was arc I got from editor whose taste aligns with mine.

I'm a little speechless right now. This is Jane Eyre, re-imagined steampunk style. It's just amazing. Confident, clever prose. A ferocious heroine. A broken, tragic hero, who needs her.

The worldbuilding is just fascinating. The writing is fabulous. I devoured this book and now I'm hungry for the sequel. When it comes out, get it.
Wendy Darling
Jane Eyre in an iron mask?! *faints* SO looking forward to this one.
Keertana
Rating: 2.5 Stars

I’ll be the first to admit that I had expectations for this book - high expectations. Yet, the reason they weren’t met doesn’t lie with the fault of this book entirely. I feel as if many other readers will truly love Ironskin, and they should. It has a lot to love, but somehow, it wasn’t the right book for me. For one, Ironskin is a based quite loosely off of the story of Jane Eyre, a classic by Charlotte Bronte that happens to be one of my favorite novels ever. Thus,
Jill

Jane Eliot has lost her teaching position and applied for the position of governess in the country at Silver Birch Hall. She wears an iron mask, covering the injury on one side of her face where she was hit by fey shrapnel during the war. The ironskin serves to keep the curse that comes with the injury, contained within her body and stops it from leaking out and affecting others.

Edward Rochart's daughter, Dorie was born during the war and although she bears no scar or injury she is fey
Regina
err im not sure what was going on. this was such an odd book. i know it was based off the original Jane Eyre and there was a lot of parallels with that novel but this retelling just fell short of good. For one the romance was extremely forced. They fell in love despite having the most minimal interactions with each other? what? i feel like Tina Connolly forced them together for the sake of the plot and i found myself rolling my eyes at every "romantic" scene they had together. I found Jane's int ...more
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

It's easily apparent from the very start of this deceptively good novel that Ironskin is a story loosely based on Charlotte Brontë's beloved classic Jane Eyre. Fortunately for me, I have never read the original, and that's one of the reasons I think I was free to enjoy this supernaturalized version as much as I did. I had no predispositions or favorites or even opinions going in - Connolly was free to do whatever she wanted with any of the character
Misty
"a steampunk retelling of Jane Eyre with fairies."
What? I.Am.IN.
;P
Anne
On the book jacket it describes Ironskin as being a retelling of both Jane Eyre and Beauty and the Beast. Personally, I thought it seemed a little more Eyreish than B & B.
Doesn't matter.
It's also touted as steampunk.
Ok, so I'm a little confused as to what elements a book needs to be classified as steampunk. As far as I can tell, if one person shows up wearing goggles, and another turns on a gas lamp...ta-da! It's steampunk!
Soooo. By that definition, yes. This was a steampunk retelling of Jan
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Ironskin is a clever re-telling of Jane Eyre with a delicious heaping tablespoon of faerie thrown in. Since Jane Eyre is tied for my favorite book of all time, I definitely loved that about this book. I appreciated catching the references to the original novel and reading the author's original story with her own ideas based on this beloved classic. In other words, this is not a word for word redux of Jane Eyre. Instead it's a "what if?" sort of take on the novel by Charlotte Brontë.

I am captivat
Renu
Bronte's Jane Eyre is a book that I will forever treasure. I haven't read all that many classics, but out of the ones I have read it's my favourite. This is the third re-telling of Jane Eyre I've read, but unfortunately unlike the other two I was hugely let down.

I think that if you go into this with fresh eyes you may end up liking it, but as an avid fan of the classic I couldn't help but make comparisons, and to me, this didn't quite have the spark Jane Eyre did.

However, I'll give credit where
Shortlatte
I’ve said it before, and I’ll reiterate: I do not take authors messing with my Jane Eyre lightly. If you are going to attempt to paint a new gloss over something that has already been perfected to my eyes, you’re going to have to bring something completely new to the table. In this regard, I applaud Connolly’s efforts to entwine a fey glamour over the well known Bronte tale, but I can’t say that she pulled off all she hoped to achieve.

Ironskin suffers from a dissonance between Connolly’s desire
Angie
Originally reviewed here.

The moment I heard about a steampunk retelling of Jane Eyre, I geared up for its release. I am always up for a retelling of this book. And I've had spectacular success in the past. This one is not YA, or even New Adult, and I could tell it relied more heavily on the rich fantasy aspects of the world and story, all of which I was eager to fall into. I love the cover, particularly the iron mask, and everything about it just had the ring of excellence to it. This is not to
Charlene
What a beautifully layered story! For what seemed like a Jane Eyre retelling with supernatural elements, I was expecting something more straightforward and recognizably similar to the plot structure of Jane Eyre, but this novel was full of the unexpected! It does not directly follow the arc of Jane Eyre, but infuses the spirit and romance of the original novel into a new story. I found the relationship between Jane and her pupil, Dorie, unexpectedly complex, as Jane struggles to get through to h ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
I'm EXTREMELY wary of retellings of classic tales, and I admit that at first, the obvious similarities to Jane Eyre had me very hesitant.

That said, there was more than enough originality to the story to keep me on my toes, and with several unexpected plot twists as well as just enough of a cliffhanger to have me dying for the next installment (without making me want to scream in frustration), I stayed up all night reading this because I couldn't stand the thought of putting it down.

A very soli
Booknut
"When what you hope for appears on your doorstep, there is every reason to doubt its reality."

A re-telling of the classic tale of Jane Eyre interwoven with cool metals and threads of fae mythology and magic, Ironskin is an unforgettable story exploring the beauty behind the mask.

Whether that mask be one of iron, or the facade one shows to the world.
Andrea
Back before I became obsessed with YA and hot rock stars, I was in love with broody English men. Seriously, I could not get enough of men like Maxim de Winter, the Mr. Darcy and Heathcliff. I loved that these men seemed cold and indifferent, until a pivotal moment would loosen their control and each declared his mad love to the sweet, young woman (Not Catherine, she was awful.) who stole his heart. Something about a repressed English man really gets to me, I guess. Then you have the heroine, a g ...more
Rinn
I received a copy of this book for free from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review. Also posted on my blog, Rinn Reads.

I recently re-read Jane Eyre for the first time since school, and it was like reading a completely new book. Without the need to analyse every scene, I was completely and utterly wrapped up in this world, following Jane’s story and heartbreak. I couldn’t get enough of it: I read the book in two days, I watched the Mia Wasikowska/Michael Fassbender film adaptation twice in
Galla
I was intrigued by the concept behind this take on Jane Eyre, and I'm open to new spins on old tales. Unfortunately, writers have a tough task ahead of them when they take on projects like these, because comparisons to the original are inevitable. Readers don't expect the same story, but we expect many of the elements that we loved so much in the source--and unfortunately, Ironskin's charms fall short of Jane Eyre's in every respect.

The world in this novel doesn't feel fully realized; we're giv
Kara-karina
Egalley thanks to Tor Books
This is another book I would hesitate to even call steampunk-ish. This is more of a Gothic novel in alternative reality.

Really atmospheric and strangely beautiful like most of Gothic novels I've had pleasure to read. The plot is ever so familiar that anyone who've read Jane Eyre or watched the movie would recognise it straight away.

And yet, Blanche for example is a passing character, there is no mad wife, and Jane has a younger sister, so even if you know that this is
Steph Su
IRONSKIN took an…interesting approach to retelling Jane Eyre with fantastical elements. Inconsistent with everything from its plot to its characterization, IRONSKIN will probably be a temporarily intriguing but ultimately forgettable entry in the category of classic retellings.

Readers who love Jane Eyre will probably find fewer things objectionable in IRONSKIN. I, however, was never a fan of the bland heroine, brooding, self-deprecating hero, and the melodramatic secrets unveiled at the end of t
Chantaal
Originally posted at The Wandering Fangirl.

I have to confess I've never read Jane Eyre. Really. It's on my list of classics to eventually read, though my goal of reading forty classics in 2013 fell by the wayside. (Damn you, comics! But not really, I love you.) As a result, I went into Ironskin completely unaware of what was a retelling and what was original story (well, obviously the fey stuff is original), which led to a pretty interesting reading experience.

The first two thirds of the novel u
Nikki
I wasn't sure about Ironskin at all when I initially picked it up. I'd seen the comparisons to Beauty and the Beast, and I knew it was based somewhat on Jane Eyre. I don't generally like stories based on classic novels, and Jane Eyre is one of my favourites, but as I got into this, I rather liked it. It doesn't follow the novel too closely, doesn't break its own logic to fit the novel's plotline; it makes and sustains a world of its own. There are parallels, more than similarities, if that disti ...more
Felicia
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
I have to admit im a little bit leery of these retellings of wellknown books.Sometimes I wish authors could come up with original ideas that are only based on their own ideas.

Everyone remembers the Brontës because of their original characters and stories.Who is going to remember an author who based her whole book on another persons work?

Ill read this though...because it could be good.Perhaps.Maybe
J.A. Souders
Loved, loved, loved this book. Couldn't put it down.
Merrie Haskell
Nikki
Oct 01, 2012 Nikki rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bronte fans
ARC from NetGalley. Thanks!

Well I'm done with this book, what now? I read every single word and I understood them all, but somehow this book got muddled. I'm stuck with this feeling that I read a bunch of flowery crap that amounted to almost nothing. Man, that sounds so harsh, but its true. The cover is so unbelievably gorgeous, I think I let it hype me up a bit too much. I should've also remembered I'm not exactly a Bronte type girl.

The world that Jane lives in is a post-war mess. This wasn't j
Kristen
GENRE: Fantasy
THEME: Fae/ Romance
RECEIVED: Tor for honest review
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
When I saw that one of my favorite authors quotes that Ironskin was “A steampunk Beauty and The Beast tale but reversed” I couldn’t wait to start reading. It’s a very dark and twisted tale; a unique take on fae was what really pulled me into the story that made it very original.

Ironskin follows a young Jane Eliot who is known for be an excellent teacher, but since the war against
Nafiza
The trick to enjoying this novel is to completely disregard the publicity that states this is a retelling and go into it with the mindset that though it may have some similarities to the Bronte masterpiece, it is very much its own novel and deals with themes that are not at all similar (somewhat) to the original. I started this book quite a while ago and then, due to lack of interest, closed it and read something else. Google Calendar told me I had better read it soon as its release date is fast ...more
Angelc
This book has received some lukewarm reviews, but I felt differently. Yes, there are flaws, but overall, I enjoyed this retelling of Jane Eyre. Honestly, I have not read the original, but I do know the basic story. For that reason, I could see similarities, but I can't comment on how closely this tale follows the original.

The author sets up a real fantasy world filled with fey, and people with extraordinary abilities as well. The gloomy, gothic house feels like it's own character, it's just so s
  • Innocent Darkness (The Aether Chronicles, #1)
  • Incarnation
  • The Unnaturalists (The Unnaturalists, #1)
  • Silver (Bandia, #1)
  • The Seduction of Phaeton Black (Paranormal Investigator, #1)
  • Dust Girl (The American Fairy, #1)
  • Luminosity (The Raven Chronicles, #1)
  • A Conspiracy of Alchemists (The Chronicle of Light and Shadow, #1)
  • The Iron Wyrm Affair (Bannon & Clare, #1)
  • Velveteen
  • Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1)
  • Wicked as They Come (Blud, #1)
  • The Peculiars
  • The Torn Wing (The Faerie Ring, #2)
  • Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)
  • Valkyrie Rising (Valkyrie, #1)
  • Dark Star (Dark Star, #1)
  • Vessel
Tina Connolly lives in Portland, Oregon, in a house that came with a dragon in the basement and blackberry vines in the attic. Her stories have appeared in Lightspeed, Tor.com, Strange Horizons, and Beneath Ceaseless Skies. Her first fantasy novel, IRONSKIN (Tor 2012), was nominated for a Nebula, and the sequel COPPERHEAD is now out from Tor. She narrates for Podcastle and Beneath Ceaseless Skies ...more
More about Tina Connolly...
Copperhead (Ironskin, #2) Silverblind (Ironskin #3) Old Dead Futures: A Tor.Com Original A Million Little Paper Airplane Stories, (Writing Prompts: The Paper Airplane, #2) A Buildup of Days

“Perhaps I have too much anger of my own to tell. If a
man is steeped in bitter anger every day of his life, how then
would he notice a small additional fi re? Particularly when the
fi re comes in the presence of . . .”
3 likes