Start by marking “A New Leash on Life” as Want to Read:
A New Leash on Life

A New Leash on Life

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  16 reviews
When a hurricane blows through town and threatens the future of Olivia Clark's animal shelter, she publicizes her desperate plea for help to the masses. Aid comes from a surprising source: Chloe Homestead, Olivia's ex-girlfriend from thirteen years ago and the only girl Olivia has ever loved.

Chloe, a self-made millionaire, offers to finance and manage the shelter’s repair
Published June 15th 2012 by Sunny Bee Books, LLC (first published June 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A New Leash on Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A New Leash on Life

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
201st out of 1,228 books — 1,454 voters
Taking Chances by Molly McAdamsThoughtless by S.C. StephensAmy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan MatsonBetween the Lines by Tammara WebberLeaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles
Holding Hands
168th out of 259 books — 344 voters

More lists with this book...

J.L. Whitehead
The first thought that comes to mind after reading Suzie Carr’s A New Leash on Life is not the storyline in and of itself. It is the author’s writing style. As I read Suzie Carr’s work, I couldn’t contain the smile that continually crept upon my face. I thought to myself that this must be my time for reading lighthearted, whimsically written fiction as opposed to some of the darker subjects that I’ve become accustomed to reading.

Maybe I needed a break from some of the subjects that I’ve read in
Judy Stacklin
I won this book from the goodreads giveaways. This was a wonderful story about love in all it's different forms. When it's love, it doesn't care about gender. that line was from the story and it is very true. She is a writer who weaves the characters into the reader's hearts.
Female Person
I'm really shocked by those other reviews. This book is really horrible. It reads like a long drawn out summary & it had the most ridiculous metaphors. Actually it was packed with poorly written & unnecessary metaphors. It was just....absolutely horrible.
Christy Keller
Amazing book from an amazing author. Thanks for making me feel wealth of emotions. I love your books. They should come with a warning though: highly addictive and hard to put down.
I liked the idea of the animal shelter and enjoyed the use of the animals as characters in the book. I really liked Olivia, the main character and owner of the shelter, who had kind of withdrawn from life and thrown herself into taking care of animals after a bad relationship breakup and the later death of her parents. The shelter is badly damaged in a storm which is not described and is in financial difficulty.

I was a little less keen on Chloe, who was Olivia's first love and the ongoing love i
Terry Baker
Veterinarian, Olivia Clark, owns and runs a no kill animal shelter. After a hurricane causes substantial damage, Olivia is at a loss to know how to fund the repairs. Although she does everything in her power, including public appeals, the whole town is hurting from the devastation the hurricane brought and no one has much to spare.

At last there is hope. Chloe Homestead is Olivia’s ex girlfriend from thirteen years previously. Chloe is now a millionaire. She’s also the only girl Olivia has ever l
Jen Marie
Where does one begin with this book? WOW! So I felt for Olivia the whole time. Chloe did her wrong doings in life did some stuff to make her life better but then Olivia needed help. Chloe just about throws Olivia off the deep end making her unhappy and ever so happy. Just so many new plot stickers and amazing writing in this book. Yes, this book is one I would recommend to anyone! This book is a 5 in my book!

As of this posting Suzie was having a sale on this book via Amazon! So check it out to s
A hurricane devastates Olivia Clark’s animal shelter. Chloe Homestead comes to Olivia’s aid. Chloe was Olivia’s ex-girlfriend. Olivia can’t refuse Chloe's help if she wants to save her shelter and she ends up working closely with Chloe with the rebuild plans and care of the animals.

A New Leash on Life is a lesbian love story and even though this is not my typical read, I found the animal shelter aspect and the rebuilding of this shelter heart warming. A good beach read :D 4 stars.

This copy of A
If you know anything about veterinary medicine, shelter medicine, or animal shelters in general, don't read this.
A sweet and easy to read story, a summary-like writing style that sometimes leaves you wanting a little more.
I loved the building of the story - their teenage years - as it hooked me from the beggining. However, the plot semed to lose its interest as it went along, and i wished that the womens feelings as they were reuniting would be a little more addressed. It felt too easy (despite the final moment of angst) for me.
But all in all I enjoyed reading it and its nice for an uncomplicated, breezy r
Almost half through and keeping my interest which is always a good thing!

Ok done! So it a lesbian love story and I guess I did not realize that when I got it as the underlining animal shelter story was of interest to me! It is ok though love is love and the story seemed honest and the characters were believeable! And the animal shelter is saved!!! A very nice story and happy to have brought it to read!
I don't have a pet, but I found the touching parts of book revolving what Oliver has done for the abandoned pets. I had a great time reading the book.
Kate Ennis
Wow this one hit close to home and had me in tears several times. I love Suzie's books, because they are always very well written and very fulfilling.
Lisa Mcdaniel
I always like Susie's books. I have not read a single one I don't like. She develops very likable, yet very human and flawed characters.
Danielle Joy
I received this as a first reads book and all I can say is that it was very surprising
Sweet story

First reads winner
Randy marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Beiza added it
Sep 15, 2015
Holly marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
  • Calling the Dead
  • Indelible
  • 143
  • Broken Star
Suzie Carr is a prolific novelist, publishing company owner, philanthropist and avid blogger. Occasionally she sleeps, but not often.

Whether it’s writing about women in love, inspiring new authors, advocating for lgbt equality and animal welfare or blogging about community awareness, positive living, taking action and inspiration... Suzie remains passionate in her beliefs!

She believes in the power
More about Suzie Carr...