Start by marking “A New Leash on Life” as Want to Read:
A New Leash on Life

A New Leash on Life

When a hurricane blows through town and threatens the future of Olivia Clark's animal shelter, she publicizes her desperate plea for help to the masses. Aid comes from a surprising source: Chloe Homestead, Olivia's ex-girlfriend from thirteen years ago and the only girl Olivia has ever loved.

Chloe, a self-made millionaire, offers to finance and manage the shelter’s repair
Published June 15th 2012 by Sunny Bee Books, LLC (first published June 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A New Leash on Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A New Leash on Life

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne Peters
Best Lesbian Fiction
1,357 books — 1,708 voters
Taking Chances by Molly McAdamsThoughtless by S.C. StephensAmy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan MatsonLeaving Paradise by Simone ElkelesBetween the Lines by Tammara Webber
Holding Hands
267 books — 349 voters

More lists with this book...

Les Read
Mar 11, 2016 Les Read rated it it was amazing
I can’t get enough of these novels featuring lesbians who work in animal shelters. Just! Can’t! Get! Enough! Almost immediately after reading Rescued Heart, I came across A New Leash on Life by Suzie Carr. You can tell almost immediately that this author is a die-hard animal-lover. If I was working for the HR department at ASPCA, you’d bet I’d be dialing her number. It’s heart-warming and gratifying to read and review well-written works of fiction that are not only great stories, but that also h ...more
Christie
Dec 31, 2016 Christie rated it it was ok
Annoying.... that is the best word to sum up this story. The veterinary medical information was wrong. I know this is a romance story but the amount of time spent explaining the veterinary treatments and such, made it a larger focus of the story than it needed to be, on top of that the information was not accurate. Then there were the pages and pages about Reiki. It took me 10 days to finish this story when normally I would have finished a story this length in one evenings read but I would get t ...more
J.L. Whitehead
Nov 26, 2012 J.L. Whitehead rated it really liked it
The first thought that comes to mind after reading Suzie Carr’s A New Leash on Life is not the storyline in and of itself. It is the author’s writing style. As I read Suzie Carr’s work, I couldn’t contain the smile that continually crept upon my face. I thought to myself that this must be my time for reading lighthearted, whimsically written fiction as opposed to some of the darker subjects that I’ve become accustomed to reading.

Maybe I needed a break from some of the subjects that I’ve read in
Female Person
Feb 16, 2013 Female Person rated it did not like it
Shelves: lgbt
I'm really shocked by those other reviews. This book is really horrible. It reads like a long drawn out summary & it had the most ridiculous metaphors. Actually it was packed with poorly written & unnecessary metaphors. It was just....absolutely horrible.
Judy Stacklin
Aug 17, 2012 Judy Stacklin rated it really liked it
I won this book from the goodreads giveaways. This was a wonderful story about love in all it's different forms. When it's love, it doesn't care about gender. that line was from the story and it is very true. She is a writer who weaves the characters into the reader's hearts.
Bib
Jun 17, 2012 Bib rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't have a pet, but I found the touching parts of book revolving what Oliver has done for the abandoned pets. I had a great time reading the book.
Christy Keller
Jan 28, 2013 Christy Keller rated it it was amazing
Amazing book from an amazing author. Thanks for making me feel wealth of emotions. I love your books. They should come with a warning though: highly addictive and hard to put down.
Alex
Dec 03, 2016 Alex rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
It had potential but never came through. The concept intrigued me and I was hopeful but the reality was just disappointing. It wasn't the worst book I've read but it wasn't my kind of writing
Terry Baker
Oct 01, 2013 Terry Baker rated it it was amazing
Veterinarian, Olivia Clark, owns and runs a no kill animal shelter. After a hurricane causes substantial damage, Olivia is at a loss to know how to fund the repairs. Although she does everything in her power, including public appeals, the whole town is hurting from the devastation the hurricane brought and no one has much to spare.

At last there is hope. Chloe Homestead is Olivia’s ex girlfriend from thirteen years previously. Chloe is now a millionaire. She’s also the only girl Olivia has ever l
C
Dec 20, 2015 C rated it it was ok
I liked the idea of the animal shelter and enjoyed the use of the animals as characters in the book. I really liked Olivia, the main character and owner of the shelter, who had kind of withdrawn from life and thrown herself into taking care of animals after a bad relationship breakup and the later death of her parents. The shelter is badly damaged in a storm which is not described and is in financial difficulty.

I was a little less keen on Chloe, who was Olivia's first love and the ongoing love i
Tammy
Apr 22, 2016 Tammy rated it did not like it
This is easily one of the worst books I've ever read. The writing is terrible. It's littered with excessive adjectives, cliches, and overwrought metaphors. The story lacks fluidity because the author frequently drops in previously unknown information from the past lives of the characters in order to support something currently happening in the plot. The best written stories, in my opinion, are ones where we are shown, not told, what is happening. That is absolutely not the case here. We are told ...more
Jen Marie
Dec 30, 2013 Jen Marie rated it it was amazing
Where does one begin with this book? WOW! So I felt for Olivia the whole time. Chloe did her wrong doings in life did some stuff to make her life better but then Olivia needed help. Chloe just about throws Olivia off the deep end making her unhappy and ever so happy. Just so many new plot stickers and amazing writing in this book. Yes, this book is one I would recommend to anyone! This book is a 5 in my book!

As of this posting Suzie was having a sale on this book via Amazon! So check it out to s
Beth
Aug 23, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A hurricane devastates Olivia Clark’s animal shelter. Chloe Homestead comes to Olivia’s aid. Chloe was Olivia’s ex-girlfriend. Olivia can’t refuse Chloe's help if she wants to save her shelter and she ends up working closely with Chloe with the rebuild plans and care of the animals.

A New Leash on Life is a lesbian love story and even though this is not my typical read, I found the animal shelter aspect and the rebuilding of this shelter heart warming. A good beach read :D 4 stars.

This copy of A
Clark
Sep 07, 2013 Clark rated it really liked it
A sweet and easy to read story, a summary-like writing style that sometimes leaves you wanting a little more.
I loved the building of the story - their teenage years - as it hooked me from the beggining. However, the plot semed to lose its interest as it went along, and i wished that the womens feelings as they were reuniting would be a little more addressed. It felt too easy (despite the final moment of angst) for me.
But all in all I enjoyed reading it and its nice for an uncomplicated, breezy r
Lesley
Oct 23, 2014 Lesley rated it really liked it
Almost half through and keeping my interest which is always a good thing!

Ok done! So it a lesbian love story and I guess I did not realize that when I got it as the underlining animal shelter story was of interest to me! It is ok though love is love and the story seemed honest and the characters were believeable! And the animal shelter is saved!!! A very nice story and happy to have brought it to read!
Hannah
Sep 06, 2016 Hannah rated it did not like it
If you know anything about veterinary medicine, shelter medicine, or animal shelters in general, don't read this.
Margaret L. Hedman
I loved this book.

Wow. What tear jerker. I loved the strong female characters. Add the great characters to a no kill animal shelter setting and you have a winner.
Heather Henkel
May 02, 2016 Heather Henkel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

If you love animals and good stories then I recommend you buy this book. A very good read and a heartfelt story.
Kate Ennis
Jun 29, 2012 Kate Ennis rated it it was amazing
Wow this one hit close to home and had me in tears several times. I love Suzie's books, because they are always very well written and very fulfilling.
Lesbian Reader
Jul 20, 2012 Lesbian Reader rated it it was amazing
I always like Susie's books. I have not read a single one I don't like. She develops very likable, yet very human and flawed characters.
Ivanka K.
Ivanka K. rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Miriamiele
Miriamiele rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2012
Jade
Jade rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Kirby
Kirby rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Dawn Haley
Dawn Haley rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Sasha
Sasha rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2016
graymoon8
graymoon8 rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
A.be
A.be rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2016
Terry Marks
Terry Marks rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2014
Wendy Adams
Wendy Adams rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
  • Indelible
  • Fallen Elements
  • Legacy of Love
  • Calling the Dead
Suzie Carr is a contemporary novelist, philanthropist and avid blogger. When she's not writing, conducting hands-on research, exercising, or blending a green smoothie concoction, she's likely snuggling with her beloved white Boxer, Bumblebee.

Whether it’s writing fiction books about love and life, inspiring new authors, advocating for LGBT equality and animal welfare or blogging about community aw
More about Suzie Carr...