Start by marking “Knives and Feathers” as Want to Read:
Knives and Feathers

Knives and Feathers

They say that love can heal all wounds - even the ones that are self-inflicted? When best-selling author Chester Banning requires inside information on the life of a forensic pathologist, he comes across an enticing yet rather unwilling study subject in the shape of sinfully attractive Dr Nicolas Sheridan. After a hot and slightly unsettling one night stand, Sheridan turns ...more
Published July 30th 2012 by Total-E-Bound

To ask other readers questions about Knives and Feathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knives and Feathers

Emma Sea
The plot's pretty standard: emotionally damaged doctor rescued from himself by compassionate writer. Chester is researching for his new book, and has arranged to job-shadow Sheridan in his role as a forensic and clinical pathologist. In a Grey's Anatomy moment, they realise they've just had a one-night stand. Love and angst ensue.

This could have been sweet, and god knows there's the material in there to have had me sobbing myself to sleep, but the writing didn't have what it took to lift this st
K
Aug 12, 2014 K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roses & Thorns by Sage Marlowe is another example of this author's amazing writing style and talent when it comes to storytelling. He takes real life problems and issues that have a tendency to be overlooked, at times, and brings them to life and to the forefront of this story. Domestic abuse can be found in many homes. It doesn't matter if you are female or male, it does not discriminate. Sage has put a light on this topic, brought it out in the open to be seen by those not afraid to look a ...more
Shannon
Apr 28, 2014 Shannon rated it liked it
I was all on board with this sumbitch until our fine doctor seemed suddenly all better after Chester tells him what he found out. What? That guy was seriously messed up. Yes, it was wrapped up in a pretty HEA bow but still, that guy still needed some serious therapy. This one did get some strong emotions going for me though. I was sad, angry, disbelieving, happy, frustrated...what a roller coaster. Pretty good book if you can suspend belief for the last 30% or so.
Seraph
Jun 25, 2012 Seraph rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, emotional, must-read
Knives & Feathers is the proof that Sage Marlowe is an author worth watching. Some scenes in here were painful in their emotional depth.

As in most of her books, Marlowe enhances an interesting plot with a beautiful, clever writing style but above all, amazing characters.
Portraying people with all their facets and quirks is where this author's true talent lies. Marlowe's characters are anything but stereotypes. They are like real people, they could be living beyond the books and, just like r
Kristen Karwan
Aug 11, 2014 Kristen Karwan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone that suffered from an abusive relationship, I know what it's like to live in your own personal hell. Thinking that, since you are at your lowest, this is the best that you deserve. That this is the best that you can get. While you are going through the motions, When things are going good they are AMAZING but the slightest eye shift, the littlest change in tone and you are now back inside your nightmare. At the time you think this is as good as it's going to get. Than by some god send ...more
Meggie
Aug 11, 2012 Meggie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drama, romance
This is an emotionally deeply moving storyline. I have to admit to having hard time trying to figure out what kind of secret did Sheridan hide. Sure, partly I figured it out myself, but not as much I thought. And I was totally amazed by the whole written story. At the start I had so many questions, I really wanted answered, but with each page it got better and better. I was really deeply engrossed in this story. Actually I couldn't put it down till the end. Chester is amazing character.
Kade Boehme
Well..... We almost made it. It was a bit OTT and it's not like we didn't see THAT plot twist coming from ten miles away. But. God. Damn. Was that cheeeeesy. It's something I fear, because it's quite easy to do when writing romance and HEA. And this was avoiding it well to a point. But fuck me. The last few chapters ... Oi.

Liked Sheridan and the first 70% of this book. But yeah. Cheese factor: 8 out of 10.
Page Crusherz
Aug 05, 2012 Page Crusherz rated it liked it
I agree with most of the last review, but what bothered me the worst was the quick wrap up and the unhealthy/unrealistic of some of the major issues the MC had. I didn't get why the "big reveal" changed the messed up way the MC thought, and he needed a LOT more than a few days of therapy to start getting well.

Overall, just too superficial of a treatment for such an angsty situation.
Sassenach79
Aug 11, 2014 Sassenach79 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by Sage Marlowe and it definitely won't be the last! Beautifully written and the characters weren't overly perfect - they had depth and seemed real and lovable. I love finding a new (to me) author that has so many books already available! Will keep me busy for a while!
Kristy Maitz
Aug 12, 2012 Kristy Maitz rated it liked it
Story plot is very simple. A guy lost his boyfriend when he was young and couldn't forget himself for being a life. So he let himself being abuse and also hurt himself on daily basis. I just have to say main character Sheridan is an idiot and we need one more guy Chester to show him the right way out of his shit.
Silkeeeeee
A very different story with two very different characters. One walking the line of self destruction and the other trying to save him. It's a beautiful story with a nice HEA. I enjoyed it.
Alex Clarke
A bit of the story first...
Take a writer, Chester. A writer makes research before or during the writing process. Here is one who needs to make research in a morgue. Ok, so, I've made funnier research than that BUT he meets there Sheridan. Actually, he met him the night before, shagging him like crazy but shush... no need to tell anyone ! At first, Sheridan is really mad at him because he doesn't want anyone alive in his morgue. Yes, he has some... temper, to say the least.
But Sheridan is not th
Skye Blue
May 03, 2013 Skye Blue rated it liked it
Okay, There are a lot of things I liked, and a few I didn't.
I liked Sheridan and Chester. Sheridan was a mess. At first I thought it was very interesting. I kept reading because of it. I thought the background cause of his issues was a little weak. Ya, it would'a been traumatizing, but I just can't see Sheridan letting it get to that point. Also, the wrap up was was weak. But, it was still worth the read. You just have to suspend belief a tad bit. And hey...that's what fiction is for.

But I reall
Marinieves Cordero
Author Chester Banning is researching the life of a forensic pathologist for his next book.

He meets Dr Nicolas Sheridan who is a bit serious and closed to making friends with Chester.

Chester is intrigued by Nicolas ... he tries to do everything possible to get to know Nicolas but he is not counting that Nicolas is an relationship ... Relationship in which Chester has many doubts how Nicolas is being treated.

When the truth starts to come out and Chester sees for himself what is truly going on
Louisa Mae
Jan 02, 2015 Louisa Mae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where do I start? This is the first (and it won't be the last) book I have read by Sage Marlowe and it came highly recommended from a firend who loaned me her paperback copy.

I was HOOKED from the first page and it takes alot to grab hold of my attention much less keep it. The characters were wonderfully written and believable, in fact I would love to meet both these two for a drink and a natter. There is a dynamic between them that just works, perfet strangers who soon become so much more. Nicho
Lisa Cullinan
Jan 18, 2015 Lisa Cullinan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-read
love heals all ...

This story sent my emotions flying all over the place ... This is a love story that is hard to take at times. The two main characters, Chester, an author, and Nicholas, a forensic pathologist, cross paths, twice ~ first, because they had a quick hook up and second, because the very next day Chester is doing research for his next book at (a very surprised) Nicolas's lab. This is fate ~ there are no coincidences in life, we are put into others lives whether we realize it or not.
Nicole Colville
Aug 13, 2014 Nicole Colville rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sage
Roses & Thorns is so beautifully written. Amusing, emotional, engaging. Sheridan & Chester are two well thought out, deep characters, who pull you into their lives so quickly and powerfully. Sheridan is a mystery to Chester, a man he’s deeply attracted to from the moment they meet. Chester needs to discover what lies in Sheridan’s heart to understand him, but Sheridan is closed up, cold and unwilling to open up to anyone, let alone the nosy new man who just entered his life. Chester’s cu ...more
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
This is definitely a darker story than some I have read recently. Roses and Thorns tells the story of Chester, a writer who shadows a forensic pathologist, Sheridan. They have a one night stand before they know who each other is, and the sparks continue to fly at work. However, there is one fly in the mix - that of Jake, Sheridan's partner. Now, they do not have a 'loving' relationship and the scenes with them in it are justifiably 'wrong'.

This is a well written story, showing the actions of a
Sue bowdley
May 16, 2015 Sue bowdley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: male-male, favourites
Wow...what can I say....I love Sage and I think this is one of my favourites...It's not an easy read but it is an amazing read....Chester meets Sheridan at a bar and they have a one night stand..well they sleep together then Sheridan leaves....Chester meets him the next day as part of him getting information for his book and the story just takes off.....Sheridan is not in a good place and he really needs someone to look out for him and care for him and Chester is that man...only problem is...She ...more
Dani
Aug 17, 2014 Dani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was a beautiful story! I loved reading Chester and Nicolas's journey together. If you want a beautiful yet raw love story then this is the book for you! The characters and the story were beautifully written. Nicolas's story is one of abuse and it broke my heart, but I am glad things turned around for him. He was a brilliant character! If you are a fan of m/m novels and you have not read this book, then you need to! Sage Marlowe is amazing!
Pamela Su
Wow. Nicolas is one really damaged and broken soul.

The story was fascinating and quite disturbing to read. Honestly, I couldn't quite see why Chester was so drawn to Nicolas but I admired his tenacity in trying to help Nicolas.

While I enjoyed reading this story, the only thing that bothered me about this was Nicolas' recover in the end. I found it hard to believe that he could make that much progress in so short a time.
Natalija
Nov 02, 2014 Natalija rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
I really liked the premise of this book, therefore I thought I'd give it a try. I'm so glad I did. It was a good way to spend a few hours, and I will definitely try more books by this author.

On the negative side, there is a repetitive term of endearment, sunshine, that was used 42 times and eventually became an annoyance. However, it didn't detract from my enjoyment. Definitely recommended!
jules0623
Andrea M
Apr 13, 2013 Andrea M rated it liked it
I am not sure how I feel about this book...it was good but I didn't love it. There's one thing I know for sure is that I hate Jake.
Mihaela
Jun 16, 2015 Mihaela rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Review coming soon.
Caro
Called Roses and Thorns when I bought this - aug 2014
Adrianamae, Marco's fan
3.5

3 points for the story and 1/2 point more because I liked the characters and I definetely wasnt bored.
Katy-Jay
Katy-Jay rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2012
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Aloes
  • No Good Deed
  • Voice For The Silent
  • Fade to Black (Clear Water Creek Chronicles #3)
  • Fettered
  • Reaching the Edge (Tales from the Edge, #1)
  • Anchored (Belonging, #1)
  • A Little Too Broken
  • Stolen Dreams
  • Rentboy
  • High Concept
  • Salad on the Side (Real Werewolves Don't Eat Meat, #1)
  • The Last Rebellion
  • The Thunder in His Head
  • Knight of Pleasure (Smuggler's Cove, #1)
  • Exodus (The House of Silence, #1)
  • Counterpunch (Belonging, #2)
  • Gamble Everything (Gamble Everything #1-7)
Sage is a multi-published author of MM erotic romance novels and novellas and loves exploring the flavours of gay erotic fiction.

A willing slave to all the fascinating guys who keep queuing up and want their stories told, Sage can almost always be found cooking up the next hot story or daydreaming about new ways of rubbing sexy male bodies together to make the sparks fly.
More about Sage Marlowe...