Start by marking “When First They Met (Rose Harbor #0.5)” as Want to Read:
When First They Met (Rose Harbor #0.5)

When First They Met (Rose Harbor 0.5)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  2,511 ratings  ·  130 reviews
Debbie Macomber’s Blossom Street and Cedar Cove series have won thousands of fans, thanks to her signature blend of heartfelt romance, delightful humor, and warm wisdom. Now, in this original short story available exclusively as an eBook, Macomber shares a sneak peek into her new series set in Cedar Cove, which features Jo Marie, before she becomes the owner of the beloved ...more
Published June 18th 2012 by Ballantine Books (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about When First They Met, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Sheree
I actually picked up When First They Met after reading The Inn At Rose Harbor, the first book in a new series set in Cedar Cove. This short ebook story shares how Jo Marie and Paul of the striking blue eyes first meet at a football game, their mutual attraction and Paul's Thanksgiving marriage proposal. It also includes the first chapter of The Inn At Rose Harbor and a yummy recipe for the biscotti Jo Marie serves to guests at Rose Harbor Inn. Not much to this one but still a sweet treat.
Yvonne
Love and romance can happen anywhere, but Jo Marie never expects to discover it at a Seattle Seahawks’ game. When she meets Paul, it’s love at first sight as they get to know each other and continue getting to know each other once they leave the stadium.

However, Jo Marie isn’t ready to give her heart completely to Paul. He’s in the military and will be shipping out soon. She’s not sure a long distance relationship can survive.

This is a short story which introduces characters in Debbie Macomber’s
Jonel Boyko (Pure Jonel)
Absolutely priceless! I loved getting to know more about Jo Marie. This is the perfect introduction to Rose Harbor.
Jackie Lane
I find it very dificult to rate prequels and short stories because there just never seems to be enough detail. I am giving this one a 4 star rating because of uniqueness.

This was such a quaint story of how Jo Marie and Paul met and fell in love. I am anxious to get on with the story. I love the football connection and Paul's connection to the Military (as it hits close to home) together with Paul's love and immediate connection with Jo's family. What made it even a bit better was that it wasn't
Emma
Very short story on how Jo Marie and Paul met. Very sweet. I would've liked it to be longer, but I'm thinking that some of the questions and wonders I have errol be answered in The Inn at Rose Harbor. Can't wait tio get my hands on it.
Angie
Synopsis: "From the moment Jo Marie sits next to Paul inside the Seattle Seahawks’ stadium, she feels a spark. Paul’s striking blue eyes and kind smile tell her that he’s someone special—different from any man she’s met before. When they strike up a conversation, Jo Marie and Paul realize how much they have in common, yet there’s one thing keeping them from a fairy-tale ending: Paul is in the military and will ship out of Seattle within the next six weeks. As Jo Marie wonders if she should once ...more
Marie
This started as a cute little story, a prequel to another series that the author was handing out for free. I liked the beginning and the style, it was sweet and easy and nice. What I didn't like was that there was nothing but sweetness. No single little drama or trouble. Made the whole thing a little pointless (to me) but nonetheless, if you're into the happy, sappy stuff, you're going to love this one.
Judy Collins
An original short story available exclusively as an eBook, Macomber shares a sneak peek into her new series set in Cedar Cove, which features Jo Marie, before she becomes the owner of the beloved Rose Harbor Inn. (read this prior to the Rose Harbor Inn) - great to learn of the couple's past, prior to his death.

Rosalie Cochran
Okay

It's a good follow-up to a mention about River's being "lost." I guess that I am interested in reading the book about Mark and Jo Marie's relationship. It won't end the series MaComber can continue this series for a good while. Cedar Grove and Rose Harbor are a great read. I won't be satisfied until Mark and Jo Marie get together. Okay?
Margaret
It amazes me how Debbie Macomber can write something that makes the characters so real. This is a very short eBook eShort and really I think it should have been free to give a taste (like I had with Gentleman of Her Dreams) but in borrowing it from the Overdrive Library as an eBook it was definitely worth the wait. I read it split between falling asleep last night and finished it in a short span this afternoon. It is like a letter describing how Jo Marie met her Paul and it's just heart squeezin ...more
shirley boone
How does she do it

How does she do it

Just as always, Debbie Macomber has written another great story. She hasn't failed to do as far as I am concerned. I wish all authors could be this consistent. I look forward to reading more of her work.
Lynn
This story is only available in E-Book format. When it first came out, I remember being outraged (along with many other of Debbie's fans), that she had not released a hard-copy version as well, seeing as many people don't own E-Readers. Luckily, that situation has now changed for me, so I was able to read this cute book.

The book is a short story (and I mean SHORT - I read the whole thing in less time then it would take to read a magazine article). For those who were introduced to Jo Marie in the
Suzanne
Jo Marie and her husband meet at a baseball game. After many hours of getting to know each other, each figure out they have a lot in common.

She works in a bank and he's in the military. She invites Paul to her family's Thanksgiving where he is bombarded by the many siblings and cousins in her family.

They soon are wed and military orders send him off to Afghanistan. Unfortunately, Paul is killed in the war within their first year of marriage.

Though her friends qnd family have advised her to wait
Adella Cortes
Nice addition..

To enhance the Rose Harbor Series, this has been a nice little novella to add to the rest of the story. Debbie Macomber has some really great series. I highly recommend them. I've read most of her books.
Pamela
blurb says:
Now, in this original short story available exclusively as an eBook, Macomber shares a sneak peek into her new series set in Cedar Cove, which features Jo Marie, before she becomes the owner of the beloved Rose Harbor Inn.

When the book description says "short", it is totally not kidding. Yes, I read very fast, but I think it was under 10 minutes.

Good, maybe great story, but better imo combined as part of another book in the Rose Harbor series.

Still, I look forward to reading the rest
Christy Farmer
Jo Marie Rose is a woman who knows herself and what she wants. This is the prequel to the Rose Harbor series as Jo recalls meeting Paul Rose and their first dates. At twenty-seven pages this is a very fast read with likable characters.
THOMAS CLARK
A very Very good read

A very Very good read

something you can go to bed
with and be able to dream and sleep sound
my wjth also. love d it.
d f v gnome n k k zxvhjukdgnk gnome
.ight
Lisa Beckelhimer
This story was too short for my liking, but I had to read it because I've already read a couple of the Rose Harbor Inn books. Jo Marie is one of my favorite of Macomber's characters. I just wish there had been more of this story of Jo Marie and Paul!
JoAnne
This is an ebook only novella that introduces us to Jo Marie and Paul and how they first met. Jo Marie's story is told in the full length novel, The Rose Harbor Inn set in Cove Harbor.
I liked the storyline but was disappointed that this story is only available to those with ereaders and that it was not the prologue to The Rose Harbor Inn.
I'm disappointed when my favorite authors do this since it costs us more money if we don't want to miss out on the story and it can't reach all their fans. It w
Maureen Quinn
Maybe the beginning of a good new series

Just enough introduction to new characters to make you want Mr more. I know it was only a short story but it ended too soon.
Arjaye Nitro
short and sweet! beautifully written, heartwarmingly good. It is a prequel to the novel "the Inn at Rose Harbor" which i am currently reading right now. back to feel-good reads, then! :)
Gloria Smith
Good read

I enjoy good reads. Debbie mccomber tells a meaningful story. She brings you I to their world.
Thank you again Debbie.
Rhonda
Great intro

Makes you definitely want more of the story!! I was consumed immediately and can't wait to start The Inn at Rose Harbor
Lori Henrich
Was short, very short, but it makes me want to read the first novel to see what happened. Not that I wouldn't have anyway, but if I hadn't liked the author previously this would have made me want to check it out.
Katie
I know this was a "short" story, but this was ridiculously short! You don't HAVE to have read this book to understand the next in the series.
Kathryn Parry
Okay this story did show promise then I blinked and missed the ending, or was that it? A good sweet story but it felt like the author was trying to squeeze it under so many words and just cut off...
Carla Johnson-Hicks
A very short story that quickly let us in on how the main character of the Rose Harbor Inn series and her husband met and married.
Paulette
Short story. This story tells of the meeting of Jo Marie Rose (owner of the Rose Harbor Inn) and how she meet her husband.
Susie Marino
This is a prequel to the Inn at Rose Harbor. Short and sweet, gives you a brief history how she acquired the inn. This was the first book I have read by this author, so far I like her style
Linda  Van Wert
From the moment Jo Marie sits next to Paul inside the Seattle Seahawks’ stadium, she feels a spark. Paul’s striking blue eyes and kind smile tell her that he’s someone special—different from any man she’s met before. When they strike up a conversation, Jo Marie and Paul realize how much they have in common, yet there’s one thing keeping them from a fairy-tale ending: Paul is in the military and will ship out of Seattle within the next six weeks. As Jo Marie wonders if she should once again open ...more
  • Innocence (A Forbidden Love, Book 1)
  • Summer in a Small Town: Welcome to Icicle Falls/Treasure Beach (Life in Icicle Falls, #0.5)
  • Where Azaleas Bloom (The Sweet Magnolias, #10)
  • The Beginning: An eShort prequel to The Bridge
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)
  • Better Than Chocolate (Life in Icicle Falls, #1)
  • Unter dem Weihnachtsbaum in Virgin River (Virgin River #8)
  • A Christmas Wish
  • Here Come the Boys
  • Tuesdays at the Teacup Club
  • From the Heart
  • A Secret Wish (Wish, #1)
  • Only Us (Fool's Gold, #6.1)
  • No One But You
  • A Winter Wonderland
  • I'll Be There (Angel Ridge, #4)
  • Passing Through Paradise
  • Goodbye Blues, Hello Love

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #
More about Debbie Macomber...

Rose Harbor (4 books)
  • The Inn at Rose Harbor (Rose Harbor #1)
  • Rose Harbor in Bloom (Rose Harbor, #2)
  • Love Letters (Rose Harbor, #3)
  • Silver Linings  (Rose Harbor #4)
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5) Back on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #4)

“Your favorite author? This was an important question. I'd dated men who had never read a book. Reading was a passion of mine and I couldn't imagine being involved with someone who didn't understand the importance of books and stories.” 4 likes