Start by marking “The Nell Sweeney Historical Mysteries (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #1-6)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Nell Sweeney Histo...

P.B. Ryan

The Nell Sweeney Historical Mysteries (Nell Sweeney Mysteries #1-6)

This bargain-priced “boxed set” contains all six of P.B. Ryan’s popular historical mysteries, originally published by Berkley Prime Crime. Set in post-Civil War Boston, the series features Irish-born governess Nell Sweeney and opium-smoking former battle surgeon Will Hewitt. For complete reader reviews, editorial reviews, etc., see the individual titles in the series:

Book
Unknown Binding
Published July 5th 2011 (first published June 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Nell Sweeney Historical Mysteries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nell Sweeney Historical Mysteries

Marik Berghs
Dec 29, 2012 Marik Berghs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the whole series, one at a time, didn't get the collection. Couldn't quit, I was always ready to dive into the next title in the series. What I really liked was the way the stories were episodic in terms of one mystery could have been replaced with another, though they were all engaging, the real pay off was the integration of the story archs for the characters' relationship from the beginning of the series until the end.

I loved the rich texture and local color of the period (post civil
Irina
Jun 18, 2012 Irina rated it really liked it
Shelves: irka-s-books
I absolutely love all of them - it is chips, but very tasty ones. Great for the in-between serious reads. The language is sophisticated; the characters and the city setting are all well defined and developed.
Kelsey
Feb 08, 2012 Kelsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute set of books (read on my nook). Each book is an episode (new murder/mystery), but the characters develop through all six. I give it four stars because I had to see what happened next, and I couldn't put a few of the books down (namely #1). I did not necessarily connect with the story lines/mystery, but with the characters. I enjoyed Nell Sweeney as a heroine, and the fact that the main characters all have flaws. Nell isn't perfect and has a past, Will Hewitt definitely has a past, and even ...more
Linda
Jun 21, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, 2012-read
I really enjoyed this series...so much that once I started it, I spent the last two days reading all six volumes. The interaction between the two main characters, Nell and Will, was great and the extra historical tidbits were very interesting. This series is slightly reminiscent of Rhys Bowen's Molly Murphy series, but Nell and Will are definitely not as innocent and the settings are more jaded than those in Molly's world. However, that being said, the individual volume murder mysteries were wel ...more
Kelly
Oct 25, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I bought this set because I had the flu and needed a good read. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it! PB Ryan is a romance writer in her other life. These books did have a romance angle, but it wasn't eye-rolling stupid like most romances, and the romance didn't completely overwhelm the mystery plots. It just added some additional interest, as a romance should. I wouldn't describe these books as great literature, but they are well written and edited. A fun read and the set is a good value for t ...more
Francine
Feb 26, 2012 Francine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began the Nell Sweeney series because the first book was only 99 cents on my Kindle app. The stories remind me of the Maisie Dobbs series that I like so much. Nell is poor, smart, mentored by a dr. and then becomes a governess for a baby she helps deliver. She gets involved in various mysteries involving the family she works for. I would have liked to keep reading Nell's stories, but the series is 5 or 6 books and wraps up the various characters' stories by the end. It doesn't seem that there ...more
Cindy
Jul 29, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this series and just lapped it up. Read book #1 and had to get the rest in the series. I read it as a 2700 page book from start to finish instead of installments. I was in love with Will from the first book. Sometimes it was slow moving and unrealistic but still worth the time and effort to read. I was entertained from start to finish which is why I read. So worth the $16 investment! Only complaint is that there are no more!!!!
Alice Blanco
Apr 21, 2013 Alice Blanco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This six-book series took place in the mid-1800's in Boston. A good historical mystery and a fast "fun to read" series. However, by the last book I was anxious to finish the series. It was written in a time when our country was still very concerned about class-warfare. This was a highlight of the series, but was shown how the Hewitt family that Nell Sweeney came to live with dealt with this along with their own internal struggles. Good Read.
Kt.
Mar 07, 2012 Kt. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As historical fiction/mysteries go, these are very engaging and fun to read. The characters are wonderful. These fall into the "cozy mysteries" genre and, as such, have relatively happy endings and the boy always gets the girl... eventually. Everything's nicely wrapped up, just the way I like it.
Deb
Jan 28, 2013 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story involves a young woman with the knack for solving a murder through attention to details and connecting the dots. I liked it enough to want to read others in the series. Usually, I read mysteries set in historical England, and a trip back to historical Boston did not disappoint me. Ryan appears to have done sufficient research to create believable and interesting scenes and characters.
Julia
Jan 04, 2013 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I have read 1, 3,4,5 and I really like this series. It's not amazing literature, but it's good fun and they are quick reads. I am looking forward to reading the last one whenever it arrives. (Stupid library only having 3 of a 6 book series...) :)
LMM
Jul 11, 2014 LMM rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read all the books in the series, they were well written with good character development and were well plotted.
Highly recommend to anyone who loves a good mystery with a little romance as a secondary story.
Misty
Aug 21, 2013 Misty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in a series. The protagonist has a mysterious past which is not fully revealed throughout the entire first volume. I thought I had come in later in the series because of this. Perhaps we will find out Nell's history later in the series.
Laura Lundy
Oct 02, 2012 Laura Lundy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved these! They were great, easy, interesting, PG reads (which was needed after my 50 Shades experience).
Krista Wells
I thought the stories were good. However, I think P.B. Ryan either should fix the spell check on her computer or fire her proofreader.
Carhy
Dec 04, 2013 Carhy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved these! Covered a period of American history I was unfamiliar with and featured characters I fell in love with.
Carla
Jan 08, 2015 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my new favorite series! Wonderfully compelling historical mysteries! Flawed but lovable characters. Love, Love, Love this series!
SaraEliza
Apr 12, 2016 SaraEliza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed these very much. Nice detail and charecters. I whooshed through all 6 one after another. Good easy and absorbing read.
Lorraine
Jul 20, 2012 Lorraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mysteries, set in post-Civil war era Boston. The stories are compelling and the treatment of the Irish immigrants in that time period is an eye-opener.
Lacy Conway
Lacy Conway rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2013
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2012
Crystal Mcdow
Crystal Mcdow rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2013
Alison
Alison rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2013
Marjie
Marjie rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Emmesulis
Emmesulis rated it really liked it
May 26, 2014
Carlene
Carlene rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Larissa Hale
Larissa Hale rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
Kristin Vakey
Kristin Vakey rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2012
Casey
Casey rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Trouble Under the Tree (Nina Quinn, #6)
  • Earth to Emily (What Doesn't Kill You #6)
  • A Violet March (Samantha Rialto #3)
  • Scandal on Rincon Hill (Sarah Woolson, #4)
  • Hasta la Vista, Lola!
  • Dutch Me Deadly (Passport to Peril, #7)
  • Run Rabbit Run (Sophie Green Mystery, #5)
  • Double Knot (Davis Way Crime Caper, #5)
  • Petty Treason (Sarah Tolerance, #2)
  • December Dread
  • India Black and the Gentleman Thief (Madame of Espionage, #4)
  • The Paris Affair (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #6)
  • The Flesh Tailor (Wesley Peterson, #14)
  • The Lady Julia Grey Bundle (Lady Julia Grey, #1-3)

Nell Sweeney Mysteries (6 books)
  • Still Life with Murder  (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #1)
  • Murder in a Mill Town (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #2)
  • Death on Beacon Hill (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #3)
  • Murder on Black Friday (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #4)
  • Murder In the North End (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #5)
  • A Bucket of Ashes (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #6)