Start by marking “Die Hölle ist die Abwesenheit Gottes” as Want to Read:
Die Hölle ist die Abwesenheit Gottes

Die Hölle ist die Abwesenheit Gottes

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Aus dem Amerikanischen von molosovsky.

Geschichten, die ein ganzes Universum enthalten: Die Wahrheit über den Turmbau zu Babel; der folgenreiche Erstkontakt mit einer außerirdischen Spezies; die Verzweiflung angesichts des Verlusts eines unersetzlichen Menschen; ein Zeitreiseabenteuer der anderen Art; und ein bestürzender Ausflug an die Grenzen des wissenschaftlich Machbare
Published January 1st 2012 by Golkonda Verlag (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Die Hölle ist die Abwesenheit Gottes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Hölle ist die Abwesenheit Gottes

Stephen
6.0 stars. One of my all time favorite short stories. I had not read any of Ted Chiang's work before readign this story and now I am trying to get everything he has ever written. This is a powerful, emotional story that will stay with you long after you finish reading it. Winner of both the Hugo and Nebula Award for Best Novelette. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION.
Valerie Baber
This is a fantastic, thoughtful exploration of religion, it's purpose and possibilities. It's also a message about society, psychology and unconditional love. At first, it appeared to be a cynical view, but as I read, I detected more neutrality and it actually revealed itself to me as a diplomatic and moving story that motivates people from all beliefs to reexamine the meaning of their practices.
Nick
Ted Chiang is great at crafting worlds which function by different fundamental rules. This adheres wonderfully to that expectation. This is like as if an atheist had written C S Lewis' "The Great Divorce". Religion is objectively and obviously real. God is omnipotent, demands love, is not just or merciful, but is benevolent sometimes. Hell exists, but is not much different from Earth in most respects. The story follows the actions of a non-devout man who was married to a devout woman. She was (s ...more
Rufus
Wow. It's certainly a new literary experience for me. If all those religious magic-realism stuff in Garcia Marquez's 'Hundred Years...' were to be compiled into one story universe and its logic followed to their conclusion, it would be the setting of this story.

I liked the very personal tone. You feel the conflicts and motivations of the characters immediately. In the face of assured eternity, where there's no longer doubt that heaven and hell exists, all that matters is the attitude one has. T
Charles Loelius
Hell is the Absence of God is, in my opinion, Ted Chiang's best work and one of the best science fiction stories I have ever read. On second thought, calling it science fiction is wrong on two counts, not only is it not quite science fiction, it is also one of the best stories I have read without qualification.

In short, he creates a world in which God exists, and then thoroughly takes it apart. In some sense an attack on God in both raising questions about why God doesn't show up and what might
Erik
For some reason Ted Chiang's "Hell is the absence of" reminded me of Stanislaf Lem's Non Serviam. Why? They are totally different stories which raise the same point: if God actually existed would it really make any difference at all, or would the same people believe and the same people get along without him? Would the same questions about the meaning of the universe still be raised. Chiang does that here in a particularly vivid way by letting angels visit earth in violent events causing much col ...more
Electric Funeral
Science Fiction bei der vor allem der Science-Aspekt groß geschrieben wird. Man merkt Chiang seine Faszination für Technik, Physik und Wissenschaft allgemein sehr stark an aber trotzdem sind die Konzepte in den Stories auch für Ahnungslose wie mich gut verständlich. "Der Turmbau zu Babel" und "Geschichte deines Lebens" haben mich weder inhaltlich noch formal überzeugt, hier fehlt mir der finale Twist der nochmal eine andere Perspektive reinbringt. Ebenso wie bei "Ausatmung" hatte ich oft das Gef ...more
ABHOLFACH
I think it was good. Ich schätze ein Roman steckt nicht in ihm. Aber bei den Ideen und dem Stil, braucht er auch nie einen schreiben.
Mommalibrarian
I listened to the podcast. I am still mystified by all sides of the argument. I have no idea what Ted Chiang feels based on this story.
Melanti
The premise of this book is that of a world in which God, heaven, hell, and angels all incontrovertibly exist. Visions into hell, sightings of angels and miracles are commonplace.

However, hell is not truly hell as Christians think of it -- it is simply a place in which God does not exist. Angels cause as much miraculous harm as they do miraculous healing. Fallen angels' only message is "think for yourselves."

The question then becomes can you or should you love God, knowing for certain that he ex
Ania
Oct 07, 2012 Ania rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: angry atheists hehe
Shelves: short-stories
God is not just, God is not kind, God is not merciful, and understanding that is essential to true devotion.- Ted Chiang, Hell is the absence of God

If you agree with this quote, you will love this short story. For me personally, it was utter and complete drivel, and I regret having ever read it. (Note: I am not religious, nor even Christian, but this story is bleak and devoid of all hope. It aspires to be philosophical about the nature of reality and it's relationship to God, and fails miserabl
Shafaet Ashraf
টেড চিয়াং এর " The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate " বইটা দারুণ লাগার পর এটা পড়ার চেষ্টা করলাম। হুগো আর নেবুলা পুরস্কার পেলেও এটাকে ২তারার বেশি দিতে পারলাম না। হতে পারে আমারই ব‍্যার্থতা যে বইটা মাথার উপর দিয়ে গিয়েছে, হয়তো স্রষ্টায় বিশ্বাসী হলে ভালো লাগতো। ৫০পাতার বইটাতে "গড" শব্দটা আছে সম্ভবত ৫০০বারের বেশি।
Michael Sy A Foek
Amazing story that approaches religion from a scientific angle in a world in which angels, heaven, hell, and God are real. Very original and creative. It is paced well and is also quite humorous, albeit darkly.
Anne Francia Chavez
Boring . . . but I just kept reading it anyway because it is an award-winning piece of work and I had read "Story of Your Life" earlier today.
Katie
Wow oh wow, do I ever love this concept. Will be looking for more by this author.
Rainer
Why only four stars? One reason - the story "The Story of Your Life". It's actually a good narrative yet IMO only someone with some linguistic knowledge can really dive into it. But if this is the case it's exciting. But even then - the mixing of a mother's recollection with the linguistic adventures here does make some sense yet can not convince. I felt bored by these parts of the story and distracted from the interesting linguistic part. The rest: a wonderful collection.
M0rningstar
Wow, what a fantastic story. While the writing is very straightforward and economical, the story and characters are full of subtle insight. Belief is a difficult subject, both due to its inherent controversies and the bromidic manner in which it is frequent handled. This story's take on it, happily, is at once imaginative and cogent. But it's not all cerebral. An undeniably visceral horror permeates the ending, and the very last sentence sends creepy shivers down the spine.
Me
The thinking behind this story is probably the most original and challenging that I've encountered in the last 10 years. At the level of Orwell's "1984." This is art. Won the Hugo, Nebula and Locus awards, deservedly. And, the author is from Port Jefferson, NY. I was born in Port Jefferson. Maybe we're related [joke alert].
Ben
When the angels appear, people are disfigured or killed; pregnant women suffer birth defects. God is neither benevolent nor malevolent, at least not by our pitiful understanding, but to get into heaven you must love him unconditionally. And Hell is visible, right below our feet.
Simeon
A thought experiment regarding religion, faith, and justice from one of the greatest science-fiction short-story writers.

It can be found here.

Manuel
Durch die Bank weg gute Ideen, anspruchsvolle Sprache, und genau meine Themen....
...aber in meinen Augen völlig langweilig geschrieben.
Verstehe den Hype nicht.
Aber das muss ja nichts heißen! :D
molosovsky
The five stories in this collection where my first job as a translator for a professional publisher. I am very pleased and honoured about the opportunity to work with such fine material.
Eija
Jan 22, 2013 Eija marked it as to-read-short  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x_novellit
Taivaan ja helvetin avoliitto - Portti 4/2002
Kardamom
I really recommend reading this book!
Mishka
Mishka marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
All
All marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • Seven Views of Olduvai Gorge
  • The Best of Michael Swanwick
  • The Persistence of Vision
  • Selections from Fragile Things, Volume One
  • The Dragon Masters
  • The Last of the Winnebagos
  • Think Like a Dinosaur and Other Stories
  • Two Hearts (The Last Unicorn, #1.5)
  • Silently and Very Fast
  • Purple and Black
  • The Hugo Winners Vol 1 and 2 1955-1972
  • Harmony
  • Ponies
Ted Chiang (born 1967) is an American speculative fiction writer. His Chinese name is Chiang Feng-nan. He was born in Port Jefferson, New York and graduated from Brown University with a Computer Science degree. He currently works as a technical writer in the software industry and resides in Bellevue, near Seattle, Washington. He is a graduate of the noted Clarion Writers Workshop (1989).

Although n
More about Ted Chiang...
Stories of Your Life and Others The Lifecycle of Software Objects The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate Exhalation Understand