Start by marking “Blood & Tacos #1” as Want to Read:
Blood & Tacos #1

Blood & Tacos #1

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  15 reviews
There was a time when paperback racks were full of men’s adventure series. Next to the Louis L’Amours, one could find the adventures of The Executioner, the Destroyer, the Death Merchant, and many more action heroes that were hell-bent on bringing America back from the brink. That time was the 1970s & ’80s. A bygone era filled with wide-eyed innocence and mustaches.

Tho...more
Published February 27th 2012 by Creative Guy Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blood & Tacos #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood & Tacos #1

Dan Schwent
The inaugural entry in what I hope is a long series, Blood & Tacos # 1 is bursting with manly pulpy goodness straight from the 1970's. Five cheesily awesome stories are barely contained between its formidable virtual covers.

Much like Black Dynamite, the tales within are true to the source material, intentionally cheezy but played almost deadly serious.

The five stories are drawn from the full spectrum of men's adventure novels. You've got the Russian dominated WWIII future Battleground USSA,...more
Kemper
Full disclosure: I contributed an unpaid review to Blood & Tacos #3.

It took a title as awesome as Blood & Tacos to get me to finally read an e-book. As soon as Jim Thane pointed this out to me, I borrowed the wife’s Kindle Fire and spent a whopping 99 cents for it.

Author Johnny Shaw came up with a very fun idea. He and his friends would write stories under fake names in the style of the men’s adventure stories that were big in the ‘70s and ‘80s like The Executioner series, and e-publish...more
Melki
I never read any of the "men's adventure" books this series pays homage to, though I spent many happy childhood hours sneaking into my parents' bedroom to read my dad's issues of "True Crime" and "True Detective" magazine, hidden not-so-very-carefully in his nightstand.
Every cover featured a scantily clad woman being held at gunpoint by a bad guy (or in some cases, the good guy.) The characters talked tough.
The stories were violent, and most likely as true as a letter to Penthouse.
I can't real...more
James Thane
This is the first installment of a quarterly magazine that is the brainchild of Johnny Shaw, author of the excellent Dove Season. The concept involves getting a number of authors together to write stories reminiscent of the pulpy men's action adventure series of the 1970s and '80s, when people like Nick Carter, Mack Bolan and others ruled the paperback book racks--or at least took up a considerable amount of space there.

Shaw has recruited a number of very good authors, including Gary Phillips, C...more
Josh
'Blood and Tacos #1' is one hell of a good read. For pulp enthusiasts looking for something reminiscent of the 1970-mid 1980's era, look no further. Johnny Shaw has put together a highly talented roster to contribute to the first installment of the quarterly men's magazine loaded with politically incorrect and over the top characters that will make you cringe and laugh at the same time. There are no sensitive or tree hugging happy-go lucky characters within these stories - rather the anti warm f...more
Robert
Jan 29, 2013 Robert rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: Dan Schwent
I’d like to thank Dan and Kemper for turning my attention to BLOOD & TACOS #1. I can’t compete with their awesome reviewing skills, so I won’t even try. But I did have a few thoughts of my own as I finished this collection of amusing stories with intentionally bad writing. It’s not easy to mimic style, but these writers have all pulled it off, taking us through a time warp back to the 1970s, and they’ve gone a step further and made it look easy. My Kindle was loaded with dames and broads, mu...more
Tim Mayer
The age of the Paperback Action Hero series lasted from 1970 to 1984. These dates are arbitrary, but they do represent a high and low. From Don Pendelton’s War Against the Mafia, which began the Executioner series, to Michael Stackpole’s Gold Eagle books. Along the way, many a writer honed their craft knocking out rivers of bullets and junkyards of wrecked vehicles. Since nothing worthwhile in America is appreciated until it’s gone, these books have started developing their own cult.

The first co...more
Oliver Clarke
Blood & Tacos is a collection of short stories and reviews written in celebration of the Men's Adventure pulp paperbacks of the 70s and 80s. If you don't know what they are you may well not enjoy Blood & Tacos but if you do then I urge you to grab it for you Kindle, it's only 77p for crying out loud.
It's not perfect, some of the stories are better than others (the title story was my personal favourite) but it is a whole heap of fun that made me laugh out loud a number of times and kept m...more
Matt
I picked this up on a recommendation. The stories were all pretty good. Easy, fast and full of action and bravado. CHINGÓN, THE WORLD’S DEADLIEST MEXICAN has got to be one of the best tongue in check stories I have ever read. You should check out the podcast for the audio version, which is amazing. I have recommended the podcast to numerous people already.
Robert W Talbott
Like a B-movie showing at a 1970's drive-in.

Rude, crude, and raunchy. It's what I miss about low budget flicks from the drive-in. In each of these short stories, the hero is out to get "the man". Think Superfly, Shaft, Pam Greer, Chuck Norris, or Charles Bronson. Blood and Tacos is short on plot, but heavy on action. Good reading.
Alex Mackenzie
A hilarious fun read

Genre specific mayhem and character is..A fun read. Not for the faint of heart. Don't miss this collection of earlier stories.
Carl
Great stuff! Took me back always to the times when Mack Bolan waged war on the Mafia and the Penetrator, well penetrated.
And all the others that followed. Good fun. Favourites were The Albino Wino and The Deadliest Mexican in the World.
Matt Sears
The idea was fun, but the first story was so clunky that I was worried I'd misspent my 2 bucks. But they got better and the last one, Blood & Tacos was great obnoxious fun.
Matthew
Loving homage to all those Men's Adventure paperbacks that used to be on the spin-racks of many a 5 & 10, this e-book is worth the .99 for the over-the-top Albino Wino story.
JD
My new favorite magazine.
Art
Art marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Shayne
Shayne marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Samuel
Samuel marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Sarah added it
Jul 10, 2014
Dr. Detroit
Dr. Detroit marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Kira
Kira is currently reading it
Jun 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Johnny Shaw was born and raised on the Calexico/Mexicali border, the setting for his award-winning Jimmy Veeder Fiasco series, which includes the novels DOVE SEASON and PLASTER CITY. He is also the author of the Anthony Award-winning adventure novel, BIG MARIA.

His shorter work has appeared in Thuglit, Crime Factory, Shotgun Honey, Plots with Guns, and numerous anthologies. He is the creator and ed...more
More about Johnny Shaw...
Plaster City Dove Season Big Maria THUGLIT Issue 1 Blood & Tacos #2