Start by marking “The Girl's Guide to Being a Boss (Without Being a Bitch): Valuable Lessons, Smart Suggestions, and True Stories for Succeeding as the Chick-in-Charge” as Want to Read:

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Forget what you’ve heard. Nice girls can get the corner office.

As women, we haven’t always had the best role models at work. We’ve either worked for men or we’ve had female bosses who are, well, big bitches. Woman still don’t have much of a road map right now when it comes to taking charge at the office, so the team who brought you the national bestseller The Girl’s Guide
Published May 1st 2007 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl's Guide to Being a Boss (Without Being a Bitch)

Cinnamon
Jan 28, 2008 Cinnamon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women who are managers or who want to be managers
I've struggled with becomign a manager and this book provided some great points and some great points of view. I read it quickly hoping for advice in dealing with some touch situations that I have been dealing with at work and I have to say it helped me. If nothing else, it reminded me to think that I need to remember to be the manager I want to have. Which isn't easy, but its a lot easier to live with myself.
Jessica
A good reference book for women who want to be great individual contributors or women moving into a supervisory role. I enjoyed the 'girl talk' chats with female managers to gain their perspective on various leadership topics.
Oliver Urban
Sep 06, 2014 Oliver Urban marked it as lost-interest
Contrary to popular belief, a woman who is assertive and cares about her job is not a bitch.

I'm sick of seeing women called bitches or bossy just for being assertive.

I'm also really sick of seeing a certain group of people trying to repackage girl power by glamorizing the 'nice girl' or 'good girl' while slut shaming and name calling other women, demoralizing them to make themselves seem better or above it all.

This is not feminism. It's just misogyny wrapped in a pink ribbon.

TLDR; your boss isn'
Val Williams
I had to reread this book, as it had been a while since I'd seen it. While many of the skills and tips in this book are good advice for either gender in the workplace, the authors (who run their own public relations company, celebrity chef Jamie Oliver among their clients) include some information of specific relevance to women. For example, they remind women that being the boss means that you can't be "buddies" anymore with everyone, and that at times it's not personal but indeed just business. ...more
pri
Apr 16, 2009 pri rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
i can not say that it wasn't worth the time it took to skim through mainly for a few good kernels. a lot of honest reflection on how you are no longer everybody's friend when you become the boss. and how to sort through that oddness of not only no longer hearing the gossip but now being gossiped about. :) i also did like the Q&A with women leaders. getting a chance to think about more women in power and what their touchstones and lessons are.

the rest of it - sometimes vapid, often conflictin
Jill
My dad bought me this book. I love my dad, he's been the most ardent supporter of my career, really.
The title was a little off-putting, but once I got over it, and just read it, I realized this short little guide is a gem. A lot of the information seems really fundamental, but it made me realize that I had a problem NOT falling back on them. Good book for people who are entering the supervisor/management field. For those managers who think they know it all, its a good touch-stone book to remind
Christine
I just inherited a new team and was feeling a bit lost on what to do. How long do you give existing employees "space"? How do I bring on new people and keep the team happy? How do I build my team's culture and attitude? This book answered all of those questions.

A lot of the information is common sense, particularly if you've been in the business world for as long as I have. I am a big fan of all the testimonials and bits of advice from women who have been there and succeeded. I love how these l
Liz DeCoster
Some good and practical advice, but really geared towards large corporations, and doesn't work as well for women at smaller organizations, non-profits, and so on.
Mary
I hated to buy this book because it's so bloody pink. I want to believe that managing is managing, no matter what your gender. But I know that's not true. And this was the only book I saw, while browsing, that talked about going from staff to management and how awkward that can be, how much it can affect you socially, how your need to be taken seriously can change the way you are with people. In short, it addressed my concerns pretty head on. The book itself isn't quite as patronizing as it look ...more
Carrie Rundhaug
Overall this book looked interesting when I was wandering around Barnes and Noble the other day so I decided to pick it up and give it a shot. While this book has some helpful information in it I can't help but think that I wasted my time reading this book.

In my opinion the majority of information included in this book was common sense. I think what would have been more helpful would have been to outline pointers to help solve the actual problems addressed in the book.

Overall I don' think I got
Julz
I read this book just before starting my current job last August, since it would be the first time I'd be not just leading/facilitating, but actually having someone report to me and giving directives to others who are not direct reports.

I've noticed that often female bosses tend to be inconsistent, as in, "You never know which one is coming to the party."

I don't want to be that way, yet I don't want to fall into the trap of being everyone's buddy, either. This book had some excellent suggestions
Shannon
a very conversational book, with stories of good and bad management. It's a very general book, with things you would think would be obvious, but sometimes aren't.
Martas
I enjoyed the book and found some aspects of it to be very helpful. I also found it affirming to see many of my previous bosses behaviors being addressed as negative. Something's seemed very obvious (communication!) but one topic I wish they had delved into more is what to do when you're a new manager managing someone whose been at the company for many years and is older than you. This is something personally I would have found of interest.
Cindy
I'm rereading this book because it's so good. Since I'm new to managing staff, I find myself in situations that make me wonder if I'm doing right. This handy little guide gives advice on how to deal with staff who question your authority, how to seperate business/friendship relationships, and much more. There are interviews with female managers and tips throughout this guide. This is a must-read for all female managers.
Jojo A
This book is totally right. The title explains it all, either you were a normal employee or a boss, this is how you treat people around you at work without acting bitchy, nor rude or moody.

The book is light-written, straight, funny, precise, will make you think and reconsider your attitude, will trigger your errors and trust me this book will change you and it will work.
Sal Goeldner
Aug 23, 2008 Sal Goeldner rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women bosses
This should be compulsory reading for every female who is a boss - "Congratulations on your promotion and here's a book to read before you do anything !". Warns women against being control freaks and the pitfalls of micromanaging.Lots of sensible advice about managing.
Molly
This was really good- got me all pumped up about being a boss (of sorts) without feeling bad about it. The segments that had interviews with female managers were either hit or miss- some were good to hear, others made me squeamish. I would recommend it to any woman newly put in a position of supervising others.
This book did have some good points, but it felt overly focused on jobs where there was a lot of client interaction and the advice seemed to have a lot to do with that. It also felt too casual sometimes in a way that was off-putting, but I can't describe how. Overall, good advice, but somewhat limited.
Meridith Pushnik
Overall, I thought it had some useful information for being a productive and thoughtful manager, regardless of gender. I especially enjoyed reading the real-world examples, and am thankful for the overarching tone of making sure you celebrate the successes of other women.
Taylor
Jan 07, 2008 Taylor added it
Although I did not care for the title it was a great book on a woman in a management position on houw to deal with people in business without being soft, or .... Women this was helpful if you are in a leadership position, just turn the cover over and read it.
WR
Mar 13, 2008 WR rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone (male or female) who's just become a boss
Recommended to WR by: Zitch
This isn't really my kind of book, but Zitch spotted it at the library, and I figured, no harm! To be honest, it's not the most "enlightening" of books (the ideas are generally quite common-sensical), but it's an easy read with some good reminders of what (not) to do.
Sonya Madden
I found parts of this book really helpful. At the time I bought it I was struggling with people discussing me behind my back at work after a new promotion. This book helped me move beyond focusing on that and getting back to doing my job well.
Faith
This was a pretty good book. I loved the insights it gave from other female managers, CEOs and other senior executives.
Puts in perspective what I do everyday and how I can affect the lives of my employees.
Tracy Ballot
I really liked this book. I found at my local B&N and got a lot out of it in spite of the silly title. Lots of good advice that I found really helpful especially as a first time manager.
Kimberly
"Act as you would like your best employee to act. Jump in to help, don't talk about others behind their backs, be honest, work hard, respect others, and most of all . . . enjoy the job."
Lindsay
the book had some pretty helpful tips but a lot of it was just common sense. nothing really stood out as different or great ideas. the little side stories were pretty interesting.
Cindy Halstead
I was becoming a manager (managing 2 people) and I needed all the help I could get. It is very light reading and makes you laugh a little with each chapter. Enjoy!
Liz
This book rules! It outlines how women manage differently than men and how to weed out our emotions and confront problems without being afraid.
Kathy
well written, great examples from famous female bosses and great positive advice on working with people when you are in a leadership role.
Emily
A lot of well-articulated reminders and tips in this book. However, the section about dress and grooming was excessive and antiquated.
  • Working With You is Killing Me: Freeing Yourself from Emotional Traps at Work
  • Ask For It: How Women Can Use the Power of Negotiation to Get What They Really Want
  • People Styles at Work: Making Bad Relationships Good & Good Relationships Better
  • Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman: What Men Know About Success that Women Need to Learn
  • Signals: How To Use Body Language For Power, Success, And Love
  • Love Signals: A Practical Field Guide to the Body Language of Courtship
  • How To Say It for Women
  • Transparency: How Leaders Create a Culture of Candor
  • The Girl's Guide to Absolutely Everything: Advice on Absolutely Everything
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • Basic Black: The Essential Guide for Getting Ahead at Work (and in Life)
  • The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women
  • The Hamster Revolution: How to Manage Your Email Before It Manages You
  • The Hard Truth About Soft Skills: Workplace Lessons Smart People Wish They'd Learned Sooner
  • Co-active Coaching: New Skills for Coaching People Toward Success in Work and Life
  • Seducing the Boys Club: Uncensored Tactics from a Woman at the Top
  • Beauty Confidential: The No Preaching, No Lies, Advice-You'll- Actually-Use Guide to Looking Your Best
  • Taking On the System: Rules for Radical Change in a Digital Era
The Girl's Guide to Starting Your Own Business: Candid Advice, Frank Talk, and True Stories for the Successful Entrepreneur The Girl's Guide to Kicking Your Career Into Gear: Valuable Lessons, True Stories, and Tips For Using What You've Got (A Brain!) to Make Your Worklife Work for You Happy at Work, Happy at Home: The Girl's Guide to Being a Working Mom How Do You Feed a Hungry Giant?: A Munch-and-Sip Pop-Up Book The Girl's Guide to the Big Bold Moves for Career Success: How to Build Confidence, Conquer Fear, Manage Up, Navigate Change and Much, Much More