Start by marking “Life of the Party” as Want to Read:
Life of the Party
Read Book

Life of the Party

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  386 ratings  ·  121 reviews
This novel contains mature themes and graphic content.

Seventeen-year-old Mackenzie Taylor can't wait to be free; free from high school, the shadow of her perfect older sister, and her disapproving parents. The rebellious party girl has a perfect accomplice in best friend Riley, a boy from the wrong side of the tracks who scores them drugs, booze and under-age entry into th
ebook
Published May 21st 2012 by Smashwords (first published November 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Life of the Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life of the Party

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireThoughtless by S.C. StephensEffortless by S.C. StephensEasy by Tammara WebberThe Mighty Storm by Samantha Towle
The Ultimate Bad Boy/ Rock Star List
114th out of 386 books — 994 voters
Some Are Sicker Than Others by Andrew SeawardGo Ask Alice by Beatrice SparksCrank by Ellen HopkinsEvery Silver Lining Has a Cloud by Scott StevensA Million Little Pieces by James Frey
Substance Abuse & Addiction
63rd out of 490 books — 1,122 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Kyle
Addiction, Love, Loss and Spiritual Rebirth

Warning: This is a hard but so real of a read. Tears will be shed!

The prospect of turning eighteen only means one word to Mackenzie...freedom.

”I was seventeen, and invincible, and ready for a good time, eager and willing to experience everything life had to offer.”

”This was freedom. Sheer, complete, irresponsibility.”

Mackenzie isn’t prepared for life. Well she’s young and partying is just easier than trying or coping. Drugs are her only coping mechan
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Sep 10, 2012 Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) by: ARR
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
With a heavy heart and tears in my eyes, I say this book was amazing. No disrespect, but this book was like a drug and I was hopelessly addicted. I read through the night. Over 700 iBook pages and I read just to get my next fix of each and every word. There were highs and lows, and none of it mattered as long as there was another page to read. I dont know what more to say but thank you to the author for this amazing read. I'll be thinking about it for days to come. GREY!

Review to come.....

UPDAT
Lucy
WOW... LOVED THIS! ...tissues at the ready if you're going to read this. It just plain old hurts...but still amazing!

Didn't expect to love this book as much as I did, when I read about it I wasn't sure it was the kind of thing I'd like so I sampled it first and as soon as I did I bought it straight away and continued to read because I was hooked!

Such a deep and dark read, you see Mackenzie going further and further and down a dark path, sometimes being lead down that path by those you feel
Rosie
Life of the Party is one of the best books I have ever read and I've read a lot of books;)
I love how it didn't try and preach to you about how bad drugs are for you it let you make your own decision. I was so addicted (no pun intended) to this book I couldn't put it down untill 2am! Mackenzie just gripped me right from the start I can honestly say I fell inlove with her I bought it on itunes but I'm going to order it just so it can go on my bookshelf thats how crazy I am about Life of the Party
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
I received this book for free from The Nexus ARR (Authors Requesting Reviews) program in exchange for a free review.

Wow. I almost gave it 5's, but there were times in the middle that dragged a little for me. I found myself rooting for Mac to finally hit her rock bottom (I was getting sick of her being the life of the party.) I nearly reached a point of just wanting to smack her and physically prevent her from her downward spiral and just hurry up and get it over with. But then she reach that low
Sheri
Life of the Party is one of those books. You know the type…it makes you think, and I mean really think; it sticks with you long after you have finished because you have become invested in the characters; it makes you cry. I hate it when books make me cry.

Mac and Riley are best friends. Their favorite pastime is to get drunk and high. Hey, they're young, why not? Everything is great until Riley decided he needs to get clean. Mac, feeling abandoned by her best friend, delves deeper into the world
Mollie
I feel blessed to have read it.
It's such a powerful story.
So beautifully written.
For 2 days, it was my drug…
...and I loved it.

This author has somehow put me deeply in the characters shoes as if I was struggling with addiction myself. It's amazing, the power her words have over you. I'm getting jittery just thinking about finishing it and nervous about the end. I can honestly say this book feels like my drug. It's sadly beautiful.

Not many have read it.
But I want you to know it.
So here it is in g
Monica
This book....the story....it took me to such a dark place. There were times i had to put it down because it made my stomach turn. And all i can say is, Christine Anderson is one hell of a writer.

This book honestly had me in tears. It raised so many emotions in me, some that i felt in my own life, and some that the writer was able to invoke in me.

Mackenzie is in a dark place, and it only gets darker for her. Sometimes, even your best friend can't do or say anything to bring you out of it. And th
Nikki  Peterson
OK, deep breath. Otherwise I’m gonna just gush all over and make completely no sense at all. That sounded gross and I never do anyway…. Anywho, OMG! I LOVE this frickin’ book!!! It had to be done, sorry. Seriously, now….

Have you ever read a book where it was so good, you got so caught up in it you couldn’t put it down? You hit a part that leaves an ache in your chest? (And it’s not gas, despite what Granny-ma said.) You know what’s coming, but have to read as furiously fast as you can. You jus
Vicki
This book was given to me by the author for in exchange for an honest review.

This book hit me HARD because I have loved ones in my life who have been and one who still is involved in the use of illicit drugs. It destroys lives, which this book illustrates so well.

The read is not an easy one in that it's a very emotional ride. I didn't think this book would hit me like that for some reason, but I cried buckets of tears! Of course, this book took me to places it might not take reader who hasn't or
Tracey (YA Book Addict)
Have you ever read a book that made you feel like you had a knot in your stomach? Have you ever read a book that each time you put it down you had to take some time to ease the ache and tension out of your shoulders? Have you ever read a book, barely able to see the words through your tears? That is exactly how I was with Life of the Party. Be warned, this is not a quick, light and fluffy read. This is intense and gripping and hard hitting and powerful and heartbreaking and real!!!

Mackenzie Tayl
Airah ♔
I should warn you -- this book is NOT by any means a light YA read. And this isn't your average teen angst novel. This one is so well written -- beautifully dark and emotionally intense. I loved it!

As most of you already know, I don't rave about books which couldn't even hold my attention for the first 100 pages or so. Well, this book is quite long.. but please don't get intimidated. It had me captivated at the very beginning, and ended up being a winner. IMHO, what this book needs is a devoted
Dee Montoya
*****5 Stars*****

Life of The Party is very intense book about friendship, self discovery and faith. This is one of those novels that while it's heart wrenching it delivers a very important message that will make you feel renewed and appreciative for the love in your life.

Mackenzie is a seventeen year old girl who's lost and is desperately searching for something to make her feel complete. She loves her family but they are always busy and have been very absent from her life giving her too much f
Brandi
I will have something to say about this one, I just cannot find the words right now. I am a bit heartbroken :(

Mackenzie and Grey...Their love is both beautiful and tragic. The dangerous path they embark on is heartbreaking and the sacrifices Grey makes for her...

"I'm going to make this right"

"If I have the strength to leave, It'd be the greatest gift that I could give. The greatest gift that I can give, I want you to truly live. I love you, Forgive Me"

How quickly life can change and we can spi
Stephanie
This book is a must read. It will break your heart, shatter your heart into a million pieces and you will be sad right till the end, but is totally worth it. You will love all the characters in the book and fall in love w/some of them.

This book was beautifully written and I thank you Christine Anderson for writing this amazing book.

Quotes that just stopped me from breathing

"What have you done to her"

Leigh
WOW! JUST WOW!!! This book was not an easy read. It gives you an in-depth look into the life of an addict. How that life can quickly and painfully spiral out of control. Even though this story is heartbreaking, it is also inspirational. There is always hope if we are willing to acknowledge we need help and willing to receive it. God is always there even in our darkest moments. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is dealing with addiction in their own life or have family members that are.
Ms ADD
Ok I was not expecting this book at all. I feel like I just read part of my life story, minus H and add a plethora of other drugs. Much like Mackenzie I was blind to the severity of my addiction until reality came crashing in. I'm in shock a little.... the ending blew me away. The sweet love of God called to me in my greatest moments of despair.
I recommend this book to everyone and I want to meet the author now.
Stacey
At this moment I have not finished the book yet- I'm at 96%, but I can tell you without finishing that this is one of the most powerfully haunting books I have read in a long while and I have NO IDEA why more people are not reading it and loving it.This is without question a 5 star read-I knew that at 50%.

Is this an easy read? No. Not at all. Reading about someone spiraling out of control in a drugged out haze is never pleasant-its gritty, raw and pretty gruesome. But its not all bad. The inspi
Lauren
Note: I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I thought I would like this book with all of the other fab reviews. I was also intrigued by the summary description but it just wasn't for me. The cover just did nothing for me.

Mackenzie got to me right away, she seemed extremely spoiled and self absorbed. She never got better for me through the whole entire story, I just really didn't like her. Grey seemed horrible, I didn't get the appeal at all. I do have to say that
Jessica Alderette
Melissa
Sex Drugs and Rock N Roll, what's not to like?

I really enjoyed this book that was until the last few chapters. The amounting suspense built up and built up and then in my opinion fizzled out. I felt as If the author was trying to be inspirational but I was left feeling as if the religious aspect to the story was to forced and overbearing. I was expecting the ending to just complete the book and yet I was really annoyed at the 'fakeness' to it. I feel as if the author could have been inspirationa
Kristy B.
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING. One of the best books i ever read.
I am speachless. I absolutely dont know what to say. Just that this book is amazing and emotional. Its beatiful written.
After i read this book i just lie on my bed and cried. I cried for Gray, for Charlie,for Zack and Alex, for Riley and Mac. Because i love them.
This book is absolutelly perfect. Yes it broke my heart, and i was so sad and i cried so much, but it was worth it.I couldnt put this book away. I read it through the nifht.
This bo
Natalia Maldonado-little
I'm not usually one to comment but this book truly touched me and made me think about things in my own life. I know that as much as we would love for everyone to be saved its not the reality of life and my heart broke for Grey! I loved Riley and knew from early on in the story that the choice he made would affect Mackenzie in a great way! I loved this story!
★Emilia★
let me start this off by saying, READ THIS FUCKING AMAZING,absolutely remarkable, heart wrenching,gut wrenching book!This book deserves every goddamn star I gave it!
Tara
Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* .
Sep 15, 2012 Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* by: The Nexus!
Life of the Party is a YA Drama written by Christine Anderson. I read this as a R2R with The Nexus! As always, a special thank you to the mods and author for allowing me to participate.

4.5 stars!!
A Powerful, Tragic, Emotionally Driven Read!!!

The Review:
This was an amazing read but I think this book has left me traumatized! And not in a bad, “oh my, I need to take a valium and forget the world” kind of way, but in a “I will never forget Mac’s story no matter how much time passes!” way.

This st
books junkie

DRUGS. They are everywhere. Adults do them. Teenagers do them. Kids do them. They are so accessible, it is depressing and frightening. There are no boundaries, none! Not from the dealers nor from the users. And that is plainly sad. You can see 14 years-old children doing them and reach the utmost bottom when their life hasn't even begun yet. Those teenagers can do anything so as to find their next fix. They neglect everything else, all their other needs as long as they can get high. They destroy

Elsa Carrion
Title: Life of the Party
Author: Christine Anderson
Genre: YA - drug addiction
Series: No

This book opened my eyes to addiction from the other side of the coin. Working in a jail I see, hear and deal with different types of law breaking individuals and have come across those with drug additions and still could not understand why. I finally see how one person can go from having everything to nothing and be ok with that. I didn’t understand why some one would put them-selves through that and after re
Nathan Zalf
Through the current span of my life, I as well as others have come across and experienced the assemblies, discussions and even one on one meetings about the topic of drug abuse in high school and even further like college, university or even the workplace. Some can be utterly boring and a waste of your time while others can be intriguing and very helpful to some. For me, I went to many of these assemblies with an open mind and learnt a lot about the consequences and such of drugs but was never t ...more
  • My Only (Versions, #1)
  • Fix by Force
  • Messed up
  • Stained (Carpetbaggers, Rebels, & Yankees, #1)
  • Risk (Risk, #1)
  • A Note of Madness (Flynn Laukonen, #1)
  • Harkham's Case (Harkham's, #1)
  • Wake
  • In Spades (Mirrored, #1)
  • Shattered Edge (Edge, #2)
  • Saving Rain (Rain Trilogy, #1)
  • Ruin Series Boxed Set (Ruin, #1-2.5)
  • The Final Piece
  • Toxic (Better Than You, #1)
  • When Ravens Fall
  • Tested (New World, #3)
  • Everything Changes
  • Dusty (Dusty, #1)
I’ve had a love affair with writing for as long as I can remember. Growing up on the farm left me ample time for imagining, and having the longest school bus ride in history really helped me hone my craft. I spent countless hours listening to Everclear on my tape-deck, staring out at the prairie fields season after season and happily writing stories in my head.

Having a license changed all that. Ac
More about Christine Anderson...

“If I have the strength to leave,
It'd be the greatest gift that I could give.
The greatest gift that I can give,
I want you to truly live."
[...]
"I love you. Forgive me.”
0 likes