Start by marking “Underneath” as Want to Read:
Underneath

Underneath

Look at the person sitting just across from you. It doesn't matter whether they’re a loved one, a friend, or a complete stranger.

Now look at their face. Are they happy? Are they sad? Or are they angry? Can you even tell?

How well do you actually know the people closest to you?

Have you ever seen the real person that lies just underneath what you see...?
ebook, Fourth Edition, 188 pages
Published June 17th 2012 by Smashwords (first published June 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Underneath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underneath

Midu Hadi
Nov 30, 2012 Midu Hadi rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people looking for something different
Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic)
Jun 17, 2012 Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 16+ fans of crude humour + thrillers
description
This review was originally published on Blogs of a Bookaholic.

Gripping, hilarious, disturbing. The story of a psychologically unstable individual.
The story Underneath follows a disturbed man named Hugh with a love for squirrels and garlic flavouring. He is antisocial, violent and a complete and utter sociopath with no regard for those around him. In the past he has made attempts to take part in society with regular office jobs and participating in clubs, but it is never long before the cracks in
Erin  Dove
Jul 13, 2012 Erin Dove rated it really liked it
Review now up on Bookluvrs Haven!

**GIVEAWAY ALERT**

Come sign up for your chance to win one of TEN e-copies of Michael Cargill's new novel 'Underneath'

Dont miss out on this one!!
Lucinda
Sep 18, 2012 Lucinda rated it really liked it
Another breathtaking story by an incredible author who has once again exceeded all expectations, by producing something that is truly remarkable and memorable. Grabbing my attention instantly I was drawn into the most original storyline, which like his previous work ‘Shades of Grey’ combines intense action and drama with distinctive characters. Candid, strait to the point the author combines an openness in his style of writing that is honest when revealing to all the harsh realities of life and ...more
Sarah - Six Blue Marbles
(This book was sent to me by the author and does not bias my review in any way)

I’ve been excited to read Underneath since I discovered it’s existence in a Goodreads giveaway. When I found out I’d won, I quickly went on Goodreads to see what the book was about. The back of the book however gave little detail as to what the story was about, though it hinted to something sinister, mysterious, and suspenseful. I enjoy reading about all these things so I was happy to have the book coming my way! Than
Jo Michaels
Feb 08, 2013 Jo Michaels rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who love suspense
Recommended to Jo by: Michael Cargill
Underneath won a review on my December 12 Days of Christmas indie author contest. The author hooked me right in with his pitch and I promptly bought the book which I read in just a few days. I give you my review.

From a reader's perspective:
To be frank, Underneath's main character, Hugh, scared the bejesus out of me. But he was so compelling I just had to keep reading. His odd thought process oftentimes gave me chills and made me wonder how many people like Hugh I'd passed by in my lifetime and n
Think
Jun 22, 2012 Think rated it it was amazing
Twisted. Demented. Bizarre. These are just a few words that pop into my head when trying to write a review for Underneath. Yes, that's right. My cup runneth over with adjectives to describe this novel. And yes, those words are a little scary. But there are also positive adjectives I could use. Mind-blowing. Thrilling. Brilliant. And if I could only pick 3 words to describe Underneath they would be: Timed to perfection.

Ok, so let's talk characters in this novel. Of course, the star of the show is
Hock Tjoa
Aug 13, 2012 Hock Tjoa rated it liked it
This light read takes us firstly into the point of view of a mentally ill young man who is alternately clever and charming and then vicious and violent; this may or may not have been made worse by a family tragedy. In any case, he actually kills a teenager who had made the mistake of breaking into his apartment building; then he wraps the body all neatly in plastic and forgets completely about it as he goes about his dinner.

Secondly, a companionable pair of police, a man and a woman, run into hi
PepperP0t
3.75stars actually

This short debut novel details people-watcher Hugh opens with his favorite past-time in the park and him concocting lives and scenarios for the people that he sees. But as the story goes on and you become more involved you begin to suspect that all is not right in Hugh-world. Hugh proves the adage that you can’t judge a book by its cover.

The originality of the story is what got to me first, followed quickly by the flowing prose as we find that while Hugh may walk like everyone
Eyehavenofilter
Jun 18, 2012 Eyehavenofilter rated it really liked it
I am having a devil of a time getting this review done.I've tried 3 times and technology wasn't cooperating.... Pray for me! This is another awesome book from M. Cargill!
What a great premise. An anger management failure, with what seems to be memory loss. He can't remember why he walks from one room to anther let alone what triggerd his rage 5 seconds ago. It took awhile to get into this but it is SO worth the read. As soon as we are introduced to the 2 " coppers" who investigate the grim leavin
Pragya
Alright, this is a very different kind of a book and the blurb sums it up so well.

The book made me shudder and think. It's a bit creepy, thought-provoking and disturbing all at the same time.

It sort of has a psychological angle to it which makes it interesting. It is neither a mystery nor a thriller but has that surprise element to it.

What I didn't like

A couple of things and scenes just kept repeating, can do with a bit of editing. Though the background was solid, plot could have used more more
Julie Rainey
Jun 17, 2012 Julie Rainey rated it it was amazing
The lives of Hugh, Clare and Robert become entwined in a roller coaster ride of suspense.

I liked how Hugh was portrayed as a normal everyday person until something, just the slightest glitch, set him off. The way he interacted with the world around him made me fearful to ever meet a man such as him in my life.

I liked the relationship between Robert and Clare. They were so in sync with each other and were able to work together to figure out the mystery.

A very good read. I found it hard to put d
Sydney Culver
Aug 07, 2012 Sydney Culver rated it really liked it
See my review on Amazon.com. Thanks, Michael, I enjoyed it!
Melissa ownsbey
Jan 06, 2015 Melissa ownsbey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
well told well written
and differnt
hugh has a prombem with anger for sure
i did enjoy this book
thanks for letting me review
Alexandra  Harris
Jun 22, 2012 Alexandra Harris rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2review
I just finished, it was good. Kinda weird but good, great job Michael!!
Emily V
Jun 17, 2012 Emily V rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, for-review
Review posted at: http://emily-confessionsofabookaholic...

Cover Rating: 3/5 Stars
Overall Rating: 4/5 Stars
Synopsis: Look at the person sitting just across from you.
Now look at their face.
Are they happy? Are they sad? Or are they angry?
Can you even tell?
How well do you actually know the people closest to you?
Have you ever seen the real person that lies just underneath what you see…?

A copy of Underneath was kindl
Sherry Fundin
Jul 28, 2012 Sherry Fundin rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, humor
Not only don't you know what people are thinking or feeling, they don't know what's going through your mind. I have thought before, as I was looking in someone's eyes not really listening to what they are saying, I wonder what they would think if they could read my mind right now.

As he wandered the city, one minute happy, the next so pissed off he wanted to kick someone's ass, he came upon a car with an expensive coat in it. When he broke the window to steal the coat, he saw it was a cheap knock
Martin
Aug 08, 2012 Martin rated it really liked it
I was given this book for free by the author with the promise that I would review it when done, so here goes;

This book was amazing. One of the more interesting books I have ever read.
The author has explored a insane mind in such a way that you sort of end up connecting with it; after all who hasn't got annoyed with self service checkouts, or people getting in your way or the million other things that seems to annoy our main character, Hugh.

This idea of everyone is explored nicely throughout the
Jill Swanson-Diaz
Look for my full review and an interview with the author,
as Adult Fiction Review Week continues on my blog!

Underneath is one of the more unique and compelling books of it's kind that I have read. Michael Cargill is definitely an author to look out for. His writing style really captivates the reader and immerses them in the characters and story line. Cargill masterfully builds the tension through out the entire story, keeping the reader on the edge of their seat.
H
Elizabeth
Jul 22, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Underneath is a thriller meaning we know who the killer is and the tension comes from it being a race between the cops and the killer before he kills again. Cargill keeps the tension up masterfully from the first page up until the end.

A major city in modern Britain is a compelling setting. Matter of fact, it made me remember my trip to the United Kingdom when he was describing the parks, the ticket machines, etc. I could visualize everything. Also by not naming the city, he gives the "this could
Melanie Cusick-Jones
Jun 17, 2012 Melanie Cusick-Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Sounds creepy? Well, it should because the main character we follow throughout the book – Hugh – is a scary chap!

Underneath is a relatively short book – more a novella I’d say at circa 50k words – and flits between two worlds: Hugh-land and Copsville. Hugh’s world is an interesting one, as you see a lot of his life from his own confused and skewed perspective: one minute he’s happily shopping and buying garlic, the next he’s freaking out at the automated till and then forgotten where he is or wh
Beza
Jul 15, 2012 Beza rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-me, indie
This book is more like a novella than a novel, only having 16 chapters.You have three main characters: Hugo, and two "coppers" Robert and Clare all told in third person. Hugo is...well...how do I explain Hugo? Crazy, deranged, psycho?I'm sure there are a bunch of scientific disorders for Hugo, but let's just leave it at this: you won't get bored reading about him. It's very interesting to go through Hugo's world: one minute he is happy go-lucky and in a split second he is in a murderous rage, yo ...more
Katy
Jul 30, 2014 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review at - http://wp.me/p4Dssh-gg

[Warning - This book contains swearing. If you are uncomfortable with that, I would suggest not reading it. However, I would stress that I thought it fit well within the story and wasn't overbearing.]

Underneath asks the question 'How well do you actually know the people closest to you?' in the most striking way. Hugh, the main character, appears perfectly normal on the outside, even charming at times. However, underneath, he is clearly a raving lunatic! It
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ A review copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

From Goodreads:

How well do you actually know the people closest to you?

Have you ever seen the real person that lies just underneath what you see...?

This is a pretty strange story. Hugh, the main dude, is t
Erin
Aug 28, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I enjoyed this book. As a psychology major I often wonder what people are like underneath. Are first impressions always correct? Can you tell if someone is a psychopath just by looking at them??

Hugh is an emotionally and psychologically damaged man. On the surface he may appear to be normal, but underneath he certainly is not. He suffers from rage episodes, and he also seems to forget things quite often. I don't think Hugh is evil, but definitely in need of a good psychologist.

The story follows
Irene
Aug 01, 2012 Irene rated it really liked it
People need to read this book, it gives you great insight to the mind of a lunatic. To think there are people actually walking around like that. Hugh is disturbing on so many levels. From the first chapter you hear what kind of inappropriate and downright disturbing thoughts he has, and I found myself having to read more to see what he would do or say next. He has a love interest named Abigail, which really adds to the 'ick' vibe and level of suspense.
Throughout the novel, we also follow the sto
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Hugh seems like your average hardworking man that is polite, takes care of himself, and goes to the gym to workout. Hugh seems to blend into the crowd unnoticed which suits him just fine. Constables Clare and Robert are hardworking police officers that are working on seemingly unrelated cases at the grocery store,local college, and missing teenage boy. Abigal meets Hugh on the train and the two meet up for drinks. Abigal briefly sees something lurking behind Hugh's eyes then thinks she imagined ...more
Amy (BW)
Sep 06, 2012 Amy (BW) rated it liked it
I'd give this book a solid 3.5!

It was creepy for a psychological thriller, but it started out too slow for me. I felt like it didn't really pick up for me until the last 35% of the book. But I stuck it out.

Hugh is an emotionally disturbed man. Throughout much of the book, he wanders through the streets and at times doesn't even remember why he is here he is, what he is doing or how he has the food he has in his fridge. WEIRD! He meets a girl on the train and likes her. Gives her his number and i
Emma (Queen of the weirdo's)
Jun 24, 2012 Emma (Queen of the weirdo's) rated it really liked it
Another great read from this Author. Having read various short stories from Michael Cargill I was keen to read his new work. I found Underneath to be compelling reading and was eager to find out how it would all end. The tension builds up throughout the story to a great finish! I love how Michael can get in to the heads of his characters, even the sociopaths! I look forward to the next offering from Mr Cargill.
Stephanie
This is a short read that I would put in the "okay" category. For the 1st half I had to push myself to continue reading so I could accurately review it. Closer to the end it flowed a bit better but it was predictable and more at a reading level of a smart middle school student or perhaps a high schooler. The idea of the book is a good one though and I have seen many short novels that are written poorer.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Justice (Deck of Lies, #1)
  • The Zombie Playground; A Creature Compilation
  • Out of the Darkness
  • The Twenty (Barronlands Trilogy, #1)
  • The 5 Moons of Tiiana (The Chronicles of Rez Cantor, #1)
  • After Ever (After, #1)
  • Divergent Bloodline
  • The Dragonslayer's Sword (Dragonslayer, #1)
  • Hearts Under Siege
  • A Human Element (The Element Trilogy, #1)
  • Enemy Mine (Base Branch #1)
  • Hope's Daughter (The Ambrosia Sequence, #1)
  • Love Lies Bleeding
  • Christmas Lites II
  • Amethyst Eyes
  • Within
  • A Kiss for Emily (The Emily Stokes Series, #1)
  • Däm'um: Song Of The Vam Pyr's Blood Junky
I'm an author who lives in the sunny, green hills of England. As you can see in the photo to the left, I'm mostly bald.

Over the years people had often said that I should write a book so, in mid 2011, I did just that! Anyone wondering which book of mine to read first should start with Shelter from Thunder; 'tis short and available for free.

Feedback of any kind is always welcome.

www.facebook.com/Mic
More about Michael Cargill...