Start by marking “Sacrifices (Shadow Grail, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sacrifices (Shadow Grail, #3)

Sacrifices (Shadow Grail #3)

The third book in the Shadow Grail series by the New York Times and USA Today bestselling authors Mercedes Lackey and Rosemary Edghill

Kindle Edition, 1st Edition
Published April 2nd 2013 by Tor

To ask other readers questions about Sacrifices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacrifices

Anna
Just as a general hint, if every time your main character explains what is going on to the other characters she has to pause to tell them not to complain that what she is telling them is nuts because she knows it is nuts, maybe the plot of your book is nuts. This book is so outrageously silly that even its own characters are sitting around marvelling at all the lunacy. Mind you, I knew going in that this book would be about an American Hogwarts run by evil technocrats where most of the ...more
Kathy Davie
Third in the Shadow Grail urban fantasy series for Young Adults and revolving around a very small cadre of school kids attempting to survive a curse in which all involved with Arthur's kingdom are "doomed to be reborn over and over until either the Shadow or the Grail triumphs".

My Take
Ohhh, Spirit's memories of the accident that claimed her family are starting to come back. Probably triggered by what Spirit learned in Conspiracies , 2!

Heck, Spirit and her friends thought life at Oakhurst was ba
Kathy Davie
May 14, 2013 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing

My Take

Heck, Spirit and her friends thought life at Oakhurst was ba
Dania
Aug 17, 2012 Dania rated it it was amazing
this shadow grail series book was awesome.. it gives me more interest and excitement in reading them.
Stacy Koster
Jun 27, 2013 Stacy Koster rated it liked it
I enjoyed Sacrifices more than Conspiracies, but the ending felt forced. I also did not like how characters were introduced and then dropped.
Kristin Taggart
I don't use star ratings, so please read my review!

(Description nicked from B&N.com.)

“The students of Oakhurst Academy believe they have triumphed over the Shadow Knights. But Spirit, Burke, Muirin, Loch, and Addie know better. Under the guise of a company called Breakthrough Adventure Systems, the Shadow Knights have actually taken over the campus. The new regime is brutal, designed to turn the students into soldiers wielding both weapons and magic. Anyone who protests disappears.

Desperate
annapi
Jan 31, 2016 annapi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Blech. Follows in the same vein as book 2, which was cliche, campy & corny. Add crappy. I thought this was the last book so I skimmed through it just to find out how the series ends, and was frustrated to realize there's more to come. We are treated to a whole book of Spirit's misery, fear & tension as they give the reader dribs and drabs of a pretty obvious revelation of characters being reincarnations of Arthurian legends, and also build to a climax of another showdown with Mordred's ...more
Natasha
Jul 08, 2016 Natasha rated it liked it
William Bentrim
Jul 09, 2014 William Bentrim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is most definitely a YA book. That is not to disparage it but a caution that it may be a bit juvenile and if that turns you off , you should be aware of that fact. Spirit White finds herself thrust into horrific circumstances. Losing her entire family in a mysterious auto accident, she ends up in a pseudo Hogwarts Academy. This volume in the four book series has the Shadow Knights taking over Oakhurst.

This story is centered on a group of kids who have all ended up as wards of a school of m
Teresa
4 Stars

*** Spoiler Alert ***

Okay, first off let me admit, I cried pretty much through the whole last chapter. Yep, tears running down my face, red blotchy nose,it was not pretty. After 3 books I am pretty much invested in the five MC's, Spirit, Burke, Muirin, Loch, and Addie know better. So when one dies I get emotional. While Murin is not my favorite, I still feel her loss. She is snarky, sarcastic and has a cruel streak. But she is also lonely, clever and extremely loyal. So I am hoping on a
Sandra Pulliam
Jul 26, 2013 Sandra Pulliam rated it really liked it
Well, I am a little torn by this third book. Once again I was left wanting to read on after the last page! However, getting to the last page this time took some serious forcing of my focus! The bulk of the story was lacking. I feel like I just had to keep forcing myself to read on but once I got 1/2 way through it was better. Once I got 3/4 through I was up late turning pages. The ending was the best part and who knows when the next one will come out! I love the characters and I love the history ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Book #3 ends with a much bigger cliffhanger than any of the others. The story definitely feels unsettled/unresolved at the end.

Most of the conflict in this one is internal. Is this girl still on "our side" or has she succumbed to what the "bad guys" are offering? Will my other friends switch sides? Will anyone believe me?

There's much greater use of the King Arthur tie-ins and that gives more info on both the bad guys and why the kids are at this school.

It feels like an episode in a TV series.

A
Danielle
Jun 05, 2014 Danielle rated it it was ok
I am so glad this book is finally done. I feel like I have been reading it to forever. I do not understand why these two authors spend so much time making storylines and so little time on the characters and their relationships. It is hard to care about characters that do not show emotion or have real friendships. I remember when Spirit said in the first book that she could be in love with Loch, up until then she had shown no inclination that she even liked him. When her and Burke started dating ...more
Jane Irish Nelson
Jun 28, 2016 Jane Irish Nelson rated it really liked it
Warning — don't read this if you haven't read the previous volumes in this series!

(view spoiler)
Furrawn
Feb 04, 2015 Furrawn rated it it was amazing
Towards the middle of the book, I thought this was going to end up being a three star book. Four stars at best.

There IS messiness in the middle. It needed some editing and rewrites. Too many new characters introduced and dropped.

However, the last third of the novel is amazing enough that the rest is forgivable. It's a five star book.

Prepare for Arthur & Guinivere... Arthurian legend. The story revs up and deepens. Who can be trusted? Muiran? Dylan? Dr A? Doc Mac?

Students are disappearing a
Alison (Lady Coffin) S
In this Urban Fantasy tale about a young magic user and her friends from school, and know it isn't Harry Potter, because they are starting to think that they are the continuation of the Arthurian legend where some people are on the side of Author, Gwenevere and Merlin while others are on the side of Mordred. Will the war between the sides spill out and threaten the whole world? That is what Spirit and here friends are trying to keep from happening.
Looking forward to the next book to see where Me
Michelle Graf
May 01, 2013 Michelle Graf rated it it was amazing
This is far better than the previous two books. There was still a sudden ending, but I could overlook that. Without giving anything away,(I hope!) by the end of this book, you'll know who is the villain, what the villain wants, and kind of who's on Spirit's side. It gets a little predictable, too, but it's not so predictable that you already know the end, just maybe a page or two ahead every once in a while. Also, the ending may crush you in grief and guilt. Just a warning.

I was starting to lose
Kat
Jan 13, 2015 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great series for Young Adults and young at heart adults, too!

This series, based on Arthurian mythos, is a great blinding of old values and modern day technology which is searching for its morality and values even as I write this. The plot is quick and has unusual and some predictable twists. The technology vs. magick / magick is technology argument is played out in interesting ways. A great story that can be simply fun to read, and yet can also spark contemplation and discussion. Fun, regardle
Courtney Phillipson
Apr 22, 2014 Courtney Phillipson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Katy
Dec 29, 2014 Katy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Enjoyed the book - exactly what I'd come to expect from the series (which means, yes, there's a formula... but sometimes that's what you want to read).

What I didn't realize until I got close to the end is that this book isn't actually the last book of a trilogy. It's the middle book of one of those new and popular five- or seven- book series. So I'm a little peeved that I didn't get the satisfying ending I was hoping for, but instead got a temporary respite.
Marissa
Jul 20, 2013 Marissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Sacrifices is a solid addition to the Shadow Grail series. This delivers exactly what a reader who has followed the series up to here would expect: lots of slow tension-building, and than an explosive pay off at the end. This one rushes quickly to a cliffhanger once it peaks at the end, and we've finally got a fairly clear picture on what the final conflict will likely be. Lines are more clearly drawn, so I am thinking that the next books may pick up a bit faster... we shall see!
Aspen Junge
Nov 02, 2013 Aspen Junge rated it liked it
These are getting better, starting to break the mold of chosen-teen-saving-the-world. Spirit and Co. have come to realize that the new leadership of their school is the evil that they must fight, which is really hard when you're at a highly militarized boarding school in the middle of nowhere. They have to conspire, keep their conspiracy a secret, and figure out how to attribute everything they accomplish to bad luck or random circumstance as far as their teachers are concerned.
Jami Leigh
Jul 06, 2013 Jami Leigh rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, trad-pub, 2013
Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 3 stars

Sometimes I just need fluff. Nothing surprising or alarming here, and I thought this was the second, not third book in the series. Oops. Somehow that makes it worse. I assume it's not a trilogy, but a quartet, too many things were leading up to other things. I really think this series could have fit in a duology or trilogy though.
Hilary
Jun 18, 2013 Hilary rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, ya-teen
The plot's taking a little long to develop, and unfortunately the characters didn't grow much either. Breakthrough are still Evil, Spirit doesn't know who to trust, QUERCUS is still a mystery... and life at Oakhurst is basically continuing as normal. It builds a little more on the Arthur mythos, and I can see the series finally going somewhere, but even as YA the whole plot-character thing is a little thin for my tastes. I hope the next book is the end of the series.
Beth Revers
Jun 18, 2013 Beth Revers rated it really liked it
The title gives hints of what will happen in this installment in the series, but it still is shocking. The pace of things at the school increase in speed and intensity. How they will wrap this up is anyone's guess. Intense and absorbing, it is a great read, but do not jump in at this point. start the series at the beginning Shadow Grail #1: Legacies. By this time we have learned a great deal more about "legacies", and the tragedy that they are.
Julia
I expected this to be a trilogy, so I was very frustrated with the lack of closure. It was too repetitive and the characters are two-dimensional without much development. I'd like to know the conclusion, but won't read the next book without looking at reviews first, since I see that other people also posted here about being surprised that this wasn't a trilogy.
Debbie
Jun 25, 2013 Debbie rated it liked it
This is the third book in a four book series. Burke, Loch, Addie, Spirit, and Muirin know that they are still in danger. The Shadow Knights are getting stronger and more of them are coming to the school. Dr. A is not who they thought he was. Breakthrough is taking over Radial also. Burke, Addie, Loch, Spirit, and Muirin need to escape the school before they are killed.
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 07, 2015 Fredrick Danysh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Spirit lost he family and is enrolled in Oakhurst Academy which is supposed to be a training ground in magic. But thinks are not as they seem as the studies are turned to warfare. This work came across as a teenage girl romance novel and I was dis-satified with this deviation from Lackey's science fiction.
Joy
Jul 26, 2014 Joy rated it really liked it
By this third book the posh boarding school has become a harsh, Nazi youth like war-camp with draconian rules and students going 'missing' regularly. Nobody can be trusted, friendship is discouraged and there is no way to contact the world outside even if an orphan had somewhere to run. The Arthurian theme is introduced in more detail and the "scobby game" tries to keep from being targets.
Elizabeth
Apr 11, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to get sucked into this book and lose a couple of hours. For a middle-aged woman reading this book and not the target YA audience, I found it fast paced and the characters are very engaging. Mid book - it doesn't exactly bog down but you keep wondering "where IS this going?" I'll be reading the next book when it comes out.
  • Queen of Atlantis
  • The Oak Prison
  • Return to Sleepy Hollow
  • Blood Awakening (Blood Prophecy #2)
  • 大好きだったよ、先生。。。[Daisuki Datta yo, Sensei...]
  • Stone Song (Cold Iron, #3)
  • The Touchstone Trilogy
  • The Weight of Souls
  • The Autumn Palace (Ondine #2)
  • Courtney Crumrin: The Final Spell (Courtney Crumrin, #6)
  • A Mankind Witch  (Heirs of Alexandria, #1.5)
  • Fool's Gold (Sabina Kane, #0.5)
  • Dangerous Destiny (Night Sky, #0.5)
  • Loving a Prince Charming (Fairy Tales & Ever Afters, #3)
  • The Golden Country (Pegasus, #3)
  • Generation 18 (Spook Squad, #2)
  • Inner Demon (The Asylum Tales #3.3)
  • Faerie After (Bones of Faerie, #3)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Shadow Grail (4 books)
  • Legacies (Shadow Grail, #1)
  • Conspiracies (Shadow Grail, #2)
  • Victories (Shadow Grail, #4)