Start by marking “Summer of the Red Wolf” as Want to Read:
Summer of the Red Wolf

Summer of the Red Wolf

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A writer arrives on the Western Isles looking for peace of mind, but his meeting with three strangers completes a magical square that sets off a tale of madness and terror.
Mass Market Paperback, 220 pages
Published 1973 by New English Library (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of the Red Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of the Red Wolf

Jim
Not my normal read. The small cast of characters is set in the modern isles of Scotland. It's about a few people interacting, especially two very tough men, both pretty worn by life. It's a relationship story that would never be my first pick for reading - HOWEVER - I really liked it.

The story itself didn't grab me, at first. I'm not into how other guys think or pissing contests between them, but this story went far beyond that. There was a lot of mystery in the characters. We never fully know t
Janet
This is one of my all-time favorite books. It's a story about a man, identified only as Seannachie, who goes to Scotland to visit an old friend. There he meets Red Ruarri MacTyre: a man who lives by old codes, some of them violent. The two men form an unlikely brotherhood, and Seannachie is drawn into Ruarri's life and into rivalry for the exceptional woman they both desire.

To tell more of the story would involve spoilers. Suffice to say, this is a deeply engaging story of people who find themse
Maimoona Rahman
Summer of the Red Wolf is a book that explains ambitious people in a way that makes them look almost murderous: respectful of a rival’s strengths yet wanting to pick a fight with them.

An unnamed writer and war veteran, who’s nicknamed Seannachie, is sick of overanalysing life, politics, and people. He runs into an old friend, Alistair Morrison, in Rome who invites him to his home in the Western Isles. On his way, Seannachie meets an adventurous fisherman, Ruarri, who then turns out to be enmeshe
Suraj B
Dramatically narrated by Stanley McGeagh, Summer Of The Red Wolf by Morris West is the riveting story of one man who struggled to deal with and ultimately overcome the complexities and torments of his everyday life. Traveling to Scotland to fight his own inner demons, he discovers love, honor, and himself along the way. Morris West is an experienced and accomplished novelist whose books have been translated into 27 language. Summer Of The Red Wolf, which brilliantly showcases those feelings of r ...more
Charles
I originally read this in a Reader's Digest condensed form and liked it so much I bought the regular hardback. A good book, lots of adventure and a good character.
Mary
Jul 03, 2012 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
A writer, accustomed to writing about the troubled spots of the world and living in the hustle and bustle of the cities, decides to take time off in order to recharge his spirit and find a certain peace of mind. He travels to the Western Outer Isles of Scotland, known as the Outer Hebrides, and settles in and around the islands of Lewis and Harris. His arrival to the area and his friendships with two young men, as well as his love for one young woman, Kathleen, provide the spark that ignites a d ...more
Johnusacitizen
Julie
3 1/2 stars. Novel set in Scotland, a man arrives to stay with a friend and get away from everything, where he meets Ruarri the “red wolf”. Ruarri is a free spirit, adventurous, living on the edge of legality with his various endeavors, and influences those he meets—both in good and bad ways. A doctor is also visiting and both the man and Ruarri are interested in her, setting up a conflict. A lot of Celtic tradition is woven throughout.
Kris
Masterfully written story of a writer who travels to the Western Isles looking for inner peace and solitude. He finds quite a bit more than he expected, in the unlikely relationships formed during his travels. This is one of those thought-provoking novels that continues to stir emotions.
Karen Elizabeth
my first book by this author, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of writing, the complexity of the characters & relationships. the story is masculine & rather brutal, but I'm still glad I persevered. fascinating. will definitely seek out more by this author.
Maggie Scheck geene
This is probably my favorite Morris West book. It has by far my favorite first line of any book I have ever read, and characters that make you want to stay engaged with and will come to love. Their lives intertwine in ways that cause great pain and even greater joy.
Joan Mauch
This is one of my all-time favorite books. I've read it so many times, the pages are falling out and one cover is missing. Morris West writes beautifully and despite it's age the book's message remains current.
Vaijayanthi
Wow ! Great story . Almost mystical in treatment , reminding me of Daphne Du Maurier's "Flight Of The Falcon," which is, to me, her best book .
Margareth8537
Unusual story which I read because of its Scottish setting. Actually a very interesting thriller
Kathleen
Lovely style, I just wish the story had gone somewhere else.
Sangeeta Mangubhai
Sangeeta Mangubhai marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Veeral
Veeral marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Henriette
Henriette marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Sandra Pitaniello
Sandra Pitaniello marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Brenda Stone
Brenda Stone marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Nicholas Reade
Nicholas Reade marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
  • A Rose for Virtue
  • The Friends
  • The Affair
  • So Happy Together
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • The Road Taken
  • An Isolated Incident
  • Just Desserts: The Unauthorized Biography of Martha Stewart
  • Falling Angels
  • The Case of Lucy Bending
  • The Water Giver: The Story of a Mother, a Son, and Their Second Chance
Morris Langlo West was an Australian novelist and playwright, best known for his novels The Devil's Advocate (1959), The Shoes of the Fisherman (1963), and The Clowns of God (1981).
His works often were focused on international politics and the role of the Roman Catholic Church in international affairs. One of his most famous works, The Shoes of the Fisherman (1963), envisioned the election and ca
More about Morris L. West...
The Shoes of the Fisherman The Devil's Advocate The Clowns of God Lazarus Harlequin