The Sunday Wife

The Sunday Wife

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  2,838 ratings  ·  201 reviews
Married for 20 years to the Reverend Benjamin Lynch, a handsome, ambitious minister of the prestigious Methodist church, Dean Lynch has never quite adjusted her temperament to the demands of the role of a Sunday wife. When her husband is assigned to a larger and more demanding community in the Florida panhandle, Dean becomes fast friends with Augusta Holderfield, a woman w...more
Published (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Sunday Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sunday Wife

Aug 23, 2007 Jennifer rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantics
I recieved this book as an advanced copy when I worked as a Bookseller and I just got around to reading it. It was not very engaging of a book and really just to damn fatalistic for me. I would never have purchased this book, and only picked it up b/c I am trying to thin out my library. If you like "chick-flick" movies, you might want to give this a try. It has the capacity of making some people cry and swoon, but it was just sorta 'eh' for me.
Angeles
It felt a little long and drawn out, but I loved the story within. It was predictable in some ways, but ... life is predictable in many ways, isn't it?

This isn't a "beach" read because it takes too long to get into it. And it's not an emotional read - I rarely felt anything more than curiosity about the next turn it would take.

I am not particularly fond of chicken-shit women like Dean, especially when they cow down to overbearing husbands. Since hers is a Reverend - and therefore revered by man...more
Pam
I read this book for two reasons: 1) I was looking at another book in the library, and Henry, who was in his stroller, pulled this off the shelf and handed it to me; 2) When I took it from him, my instinct was to put it back on the shelf, but then I remembered that King is Pat Conroy's wife.
Pat Conroy, she ain't.
Don't get me wrong; this book is OK. But don't read it expecting the lyric prose and emotionally currency of Conroy. Wife tells the story of Dean Lynch, a Methodist minister's repressed...more
Maybama02 Carroll
Jul 04, 2007 Maybama02 Carroll rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Church-going females of all ages!
Shelves: booksforthebeach
I found this when I was a junior in high school in my moms beach bag, read it, and LOVED it. So did all of her friends, all older than me by at least 25 years.
It is about a preacher's wife with a unique style of her own. She has a more liberal lifestyle than the people in her community, congregation, and even her husband expect her to lead.
The best part is that it is set in South Walton County beach area. Some scenes take places in Greyton Beach and Seaside. My great-grandmother was from Panam...more
Charlotte Ehney
Reverend Ben Lynch and his wife Dean seem the perfect couple. Ben is a rising star within the Methodist Church. Dean teaches piano and supports her husband in his ministry. But outward appearances can be deceiving.

A move to Crystal Springs, Florida gives Dean the opportunity to meet new friends who encourage her to be herself. Along the way, Dean learns that she is not the only one who is less than satisfied with the reality of everyday life.

The Sunday Wife drew me in and I found myself up lat...more
Ginny
My favorite thing about this book was that even the best of friends didn't know everything about each other. I, too, was concerned about pigeon-holing the religious, but it was specific to certain people, not generalized.
Kathryn
I really enjoyed this story! As a southerner, I also appreciated the accents on audiobook and just the idea of being in the south.

We meet a woman named Dean, whom is married to a preacher of a prominent Methodist church. Dean doesn't really enjoy the preacher wife duties, and becomes friends with a woman whom her husband doesn't care for.

Over time, Dean becomes best friends with this woman and does a lot of things her husband doesn't approve of. In some ways, Dean is standing up for herself, a...more
Peggy
When I realized that the author is Pat Conroy's wife, I have to admit that I automatically expected better writing - not fair to her, but so be it. It was a look at established religion from a minister's wife's point of view. However, it was very one-dimensional. All the church people were hypocritical, unyielding, prissy, intolerant, etc. There were none portrayed as true Chrisitans which is very unfair. The storyline was rather predictable and a little drawn out in places, but an ok read. She...more
Ashley
Essentially a story about a woman who struggles with her identity as a preacher's wife, and the choices she makes as she attempts to rebel from her life/husband. I thought that this would be an interesting book, however I soon became tired of the main character's passive behavior. To be rather blunt, it is a typical oppressed woman struggling to overcome abusive/negligent husband- (typical lifetime movie) I had a hard time believing that these characters were actually real, and situations in the...more
Christy
Pretty good for a fist novel...I didn't know she was Pat Conroy's wife until I was halfway through and read the back cover.

Dean is a Methodist minister's wife and lives in Florida. The husband is condescending and always puts her down because of her background (she's a foster child). When they move to a new appointment, Dean hopes things will get better. They do when she meets and becomes friends with Augusta. The only trouble is that Augusta is a bit on the wild side which isn't great for a mi...more
Kim
I love Pat Conroy and just discovered that his wife is also an author and thought I'd give one of her books a try. This one caught my attention because I've attended a Methodist congregation in the past and could easily picture a former pastor that I know (or a combination of a couple of them) in the role of Ben, and I have seen how many pastor wives have unrealistic expectations placed upon them and lose their identity. The ending was a bit predictable, but it still made for an enjoyable book.
Sandy Thomas
Jul 16, 2008 Sandy Thomas rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandy by: no one
Just picked this book up one day while browsing the book store. Did not realize it was written by Pat Conroy's wife and I did not read the back section first. So I had no pre-conceived ideas. I thought the book was entertaining, funny at times and also revealed the relationship between two women so different yet so similar in some respects. It is a good easy read for summer.
Donna Johnson
Just finished reading this book. It was good, though a little long. It was funny, sad, and poignant all at the same time. Once again, I didn't like the way "church people" were portrayed. I have maet people like this, but most of the people I know at different churches are the exact opposite. I was surprised and sad at the way it ended, but it was a good read.
Roxanne
I gave it an extra star because she was singing my life (badly) with her song. If you were never an up-and-coming minister's wife, don't bother. Painful and plentiful dialogue, not a nuance in a carload. Every thought, stubbed toe, angry look is spelled out with articles and pronouns. Written like a Harlequin, but with no redeeming lurid sex.
Lori
Mar 07, 2008 Lori rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NOONE
This book and author ticked me off. It's apparant King hates the church and all that it stands for and for that, I almost couldn't finish the book. I only did because I really wanted to know what ended up happening to the ministers wife. I really don't recommend this book to anyone.
Gayle
The novel is set in the South I know, and I'm pretty sure I've met these characters over the years. I always knew Methodists were the thinkers. I absolutely loved this book, though I was hesitant to patronize Stephen King's wife.
Leah
Jul 19, 2007 Leah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All my friends
THis was at the top of my list until I read My Sister's Keeper. I really loved it and would recommend it to anyone. It takes place on the Gulf Coast. The author is married to Pat Conroy who wrote Prince of Tides and Beach Music.
Katy
I thought this book was about something it wasn't really about. I couldn't get into the story and the characters really had no point to me. I didn't even get 50 pages in before i just had to put it down.
Jessica loeb
May 14, 2007 Jessica loeb rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends
Read this in hard back summer of 03 wonderful refreshing story regarding a preachers wife. Some shocking details that one would not expect from the Sunday wife.
Danielle
Jul 31, 2008 Danielle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-fun, own
This could be good - a story about an unlikely friendship between two women, and hopefully the story of how one woman finds herself. On the other hand, it could suck.
Nancy
This book is written by Pat Conroy's wife, Cassandra King. It is about a young preacher's wife who breaks free of his patriarichal ways. It's a great read.
Jean Haberman
The story of The Sunday Wife parallels a real-life experience of a friend of mine who is a minister's wife. Certainly not every marriage between a minister and his wife is like this, but I think the role of a minister's wife is extremely difficult. A minister's wife needs a friend like Augusta who accepts her for who she is and not her role as minister's wife.

Many social issues are woven throughout the book...Same-sex marriage, psychic healing, book banning, and adultery. All are presented in a...more
Dragyn Phayge
This book was very "meh" for me. There were parts of it that were really good. Yet there were also times I just wanted to strangle Willodean. She was just too mousy for me. One minute she'd actually grow a spine and I'd start to have high spirits for the way the book was turning out, and literally one page later she was turning back to her old ways.
I finished it, for what it's worth. I got it at a local book sale, where I used canned goods to trade for 3 bags of books. So glad I didn't actually...more
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Dean Lynch is a Methodist preacher's wife, a role she finds nearly impossible to fill. She comes from a "white trash" background, to use her description, so saying the right thing at the right time and being peaches and cream in all situations just doesn't come naturally to her.

When her husband is sent to minister in a church in Crystal Springs, Florida, Dean finally starts to find where she fits in. Unfortunately, that's not with all the catty church ladies. She befriends Augusta, a woman who l...more
bookczuk
My maiden dip into the writings of a local author, and wife of Pat Conroy. It is of that genre that seems to be occupied by writers like Dorthea Benton Frank and Sue Monk Kidd-- not chick lit, but definitely probably more appealing to females than males. (mr czuk would call it chick lit though, for sure.) Nice attention to details, though some of the characters a little too broad to be believable. I mean, how come so many of these books have women with bestest buddies who are talented, handsome,...more
Sidna
Cassandra King is Pat Conroy's wife. He writes a new book every 10 to 13 years while she turns out one or more books a year. Since Pat is my favorite authoer, I was curious to read one of her books. When I attended his book signing, a woman told me this was King's best work. I have read one and a half of her other books and this one was the best, but this isn't saying much.

Most of the story is told through Dean's eyes. As the title implies she is married to a minister. They have been married for...more
Margaret
After reading King's book, The Same Sweet Girls, I wanted more from her. The Sunday Wife was quite different from the gentle, tender read that introduced me to Cassandra King. The tension in the story line was apparent from the very first page and as I read, I kept waiting for "the next shoe to drop".

Dean Lynch has struggled to rid herself of her "white trash" background, taking the heritage of her folk music from the mountains and her ability to play her grandmother's dulcimer to make somethin...more
Larraine
I've been in the mood for straight fiction for a while. After two tries, both of which, I discarded as uninteresting, I pulled this one off the shelf and proceeded to devour it. Cassandra King is a quintessentially Southern writer.

In fact, she is married to Pat Conroy, author of such famous books as The Lords of Discipline, The Great Santini, Beach Music, South of Broad and, my personal favorite, Prince of Tides. (also a wonderful movie!) A couple of years ago I read The Same Sweet Girls and wa...more
Beth
I was given this book to read I guess because I am a "preacher's wife" and they thought I'd like it. I've had it for several years and tried to read it a few times but never could get very far. This time, however, I got hooked, marveling at all the stereotypes spewed forth just in chapter one. I was curious as to where the author would lead her audience.

Although parts of the story were engaging and Dean had lots of potential, I spent most of the time wanting to slap her and beg her to grow a sp...more
Marika
It was an interesting read about the life of a minister's wife. You don't realize just how political a church can be, nor do you realize how the leader's wife will be scrutinized for just about everything she does. A woman shouldn't have to give up her soul or self for the sake of her husband's congregation.

The book had its fair share of sin and corruption, but it was good to read about a doormat, striving to become a door.
  • Sweetwater Creek
  • Sweetgrass
  • Isle of Palms (Lowcountry Tales #3)
  • The Florabama Ladies' Auxiliary and Sewing Circle
  • Mad Girls in Love
  • This One and Magic Life: A Novel of a Southern Family
  • Where the River Runs
  • Saving Grace
  • Pieces of the Heart
CASSANDRA KING, who has been called “the Queen of Southern storytelling,” is the author of six novels, Making Waves, The Sunday Wife, The Same Sweet Girls, Queen of Broken Hearts, Moonrise, and The Same Sweet Girls' Guide to Life, as well as numerous short stories, essays and articles. Moonrise, her fifth novel, is set in Highlands, North Carolina. A native of Alabama, Cassandra resides in Beaufor...more
More about Cassandra King...
The Same Sweet Girls Queen of Broken Hearts Moonrise Making Waves The Same Sweet Girls' Guide to Life: Advice from a Failed Southern Belle