Start by marking “Slab City Blues (Slab City Blues, #1)” as Want to Read:
Slab City Blues (Slab City Blues, #1)

Slab City Blues (Slab City Blues #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Welcome to the Slab. Where rats grow big and sweat falls in rain. There's a stranger in town, a stranger with claws and a penchant for killing assassins. Finding him is the job of Inspector Alex McLeod, detective, disfigured war veteran and reluctant widower. Some days are worse than others on the Slab but this one's going to be a gem.
ebook, Short story, 30 pages
Published April 1st 2011 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Slab City Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slab City Blues

Klasična detektivska priča. Ima interesantnih likova pošto je budućnost sa likovima koje su mešali DNK sa živuljkama. Sem toga ništa interesantno.

I suviše kratko da bi i napravio nešto od interesantne postavke. Može se zaobići.
This Anthony Ryan - he gave me the same thrill that I got reading Neuromancer and The Young Ladies Illustrated Primer all those years ago. If Ryan can do with a novella what Gibson and Stephson did with full novels, then this gentleman is one to watch. I am definitely now a fan. In only 7494 words Ryan in his terse, almost abrupt style can not only build an orbiting world, describe people, describe all the layers of a murderer case and solving said case, but he also makes the whole thing credibl ...more

A short story set on the orbital station - Slab - and one of the Autonomous Orbital States after war with the Downside (Earth). The protagonist is a war veteran Inspector Alex McLeod. His wife, another war veteran, is hooked on a life support system. Trapped in a virtual perfect world and hating his new perfect face, she wants Alex to pull the plug on her.

While there is a case in the story, it was the world building that makes the story great. The intelligent rats, DNA splicing that ma
An interesting short story which is as much mystery as science fiction. Raises moral issues of death and dying in a unique way.

A good read.
Very impressive how much world building, character development and just plain plot the author managed to cram into one short novella. Good story too.
well written short story (as of now it is free on the author's website) in keeping with what I came to expect from the author of the awesome Blood Song, but otherwise fairly standard stuff I've seen million times and moreover stuff I am not that excited about so would not have even looked at but for being written by Anthony Ryan
Could use a wee bit of editing for grammar and typos in places but a good story. I will read more of the Slab City series.
Austin Poulsen
Very rough. Could have used a few more revisions. Pretty hard to follow.
This was a really good story for a short. Alas, a short story does not really allow for the depth of intrigue or world building that I would prefer from a tale such as this. Having said that, there is something here, a spark within this world. I would love to see Ryan do a longer novella or full length book set in this world.

L.K. Evans
What can I say? I'd be surprised if Mr. Ryan ever wrote a book I didn't like. Why, you might ask? Well, it's because of his characters. If a writer can deliver me an in-depth, inner turmoil, haunted type person, then I'm sold. And McLeod is just that character. After the first page, I was submersed in a different world and didn't leave it for the next 75 pages. The world is crazy with tons of references to stuff that Mr. Ryan explains without the dreaded info dump. It just worked itself into my ...more
Oct 06, 2014 Andi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Free for a limited time on Amazon's Kindle

This was an interesting short story set on a planet in a futuristic society. I liked Alex (the detective), and the other cast, including Father Bob and Freak. This was completely different from Anthony Ryan's fantasy series, but it was well written and engaging. I'll likely keep going with these!
The world building of the short story was amazing. Set in the far distant future after many wars and new cohabitants centered around a Vet detective. While I love the world, I'm not sure of my take on the main character, wasn't enough time for development for me to be sure if I like him or not.
Bill Mcarthur
24 page novella. Sci fi good yarn
More mystery than sci fi (which is fine, just different from Blood Song, which is a masterpiece). The world was so complex, it was as if it was a real place, I found myself wishing I could see the places and people he described. This would play out well as a TV series. The main character reminded me of an old fashioned private eye, but there was nothing old about this story.
A short story prequel to Slab City Blues: A Hymn to Gods Long Dead. Setting reminds me of Katherine Kerr's Polar City Blues with the roughness of 1930's Chicago. Main character is a cop but he has more in common with a 1930's private dective.
Aaron Advani
a good short story that just gets going then ends which is why I gave it 4 stars could have done with being abit longer, will read the next one to see if it keeps the quality level but adds more depth.
Neat little read. Awaiting my copy of Blood Song(curse my local bookstore's order speed!), decided to try Slab city and gad I did. Downloaded Slab City Blues immediately after. Four Stars!
Al Britten
Really fun sci-fi short... The setting reminded me of The Ballad Of Halo Jones and has definitely whetted my appetite for the others in the series.
A vivid story. Noir SCI/FI echoing a promising "Dashell Hammett" vibe!
Kristoffer Jarvis sr.
Great short book. Loved it
Very noir. A real good read.
Jess marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Barbara Hoffmann
Barbara Hoffmann marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Andrea marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Helena marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Mark marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Dominique marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Max Staab
Max Staab marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
  • Jezebel's Ladder (Jezebel's Ladder, #1)
  • Bone Wires
  • Convergent Space
  • Jade
  • Snap
  • House of Corruption
  • Chained to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #2)
  • Blood Zero Sky
  • The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, Volume Two (Miss Temple, Doctor Svenson, and Cardinal Chang #1.2)
  • I Know Not (The Legacy of Fox Crow, #1)
  • Pharaoh's Son
  • Count Brass (Chronicles of Castle Brass, #1)
  • The Monastery
  • Brambleman
  • The Prophet
  • vN (The Machine Dynasty, #1)
  • Blood Rush (Demimonde, #2)
  • The Scottish Chiefs
Anthony Ryan was born in Scotland in 1970 but spent much of his adult life living and working in London. After a long career in the British Civil Service he took up writing full time after the success of his first novel Blood Song, Book One of the Raven’s Shadow trilogy. He has a degree in history, and his interests include art, science and the unending quest for the perfect pint of real ale.

For n
More about Anthony Ryan...

Slab City Blues (4 books)
  • Slab City Blues: A Song for Madame Choi (Slab City Blues, #2)
  • Slab City Blues: A Hymn To Gods Long Dead (Slab City Blues, #3)
  • Slab City Blues: The Ballad of Bad Jack (Slab City Blues ,#4)