Slab City Blues

Slab City Blues (Slab City Blues #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Welcome to the Slab. Where rats grow big and sweat falls in rain. There's a stranger in town, a stranger with claws and a penchant for killing assassins. Finding him is the job of Inspector Alex McLeod, detective, disfigured war veteran and reluctant widower. Some days are worse than others on the Slab but this one's going to be a gem.
ebook, Short story, 30 pages
Published April 1st 2011 by Smashwords

Lady*M

A short story set on the orbital station - Slab - and one of the Autonomous Orbital States after war with the Downside (Earth). The protagonist is a war veteran Inspector Alex McLeod. His wife, another war veteran, is hooked on a life support system. Trapped in a virtual perfect world and hating his new perfect face, she wants Alex to pull the plug on her.

While there is a case in the story, it was the world building that makes the story great. The intelligent rats, DNA splicing that ma...more
Melinda Le Baron
This Anthony Ryan - he gave me the same thrill that I got reading Neuromancer and The Young Ladies Illustrated Primer all those years ago. If Ryan can do with a novella what Gibson and Stephson did with full novels, then this gentleman is one to watch. I am definitely now a fan. In only 7494 words Ryan in his terse, almost abrupt style can not only build an orbiting world, describe people, describe all the layers of a murderer case and solving said case, but he also makes the whole thing credibl...more
Ron
An interesting short story which is as much mystery as science fiction. Raises moral issues of death and dying in a unique way.

A good read.
Liviu
well written short story (as of now it is free on the author's website) in keeping with what I came to expect from the author of the awesome Blood Song, but otherwise fairly standard stuff I've seen million times and moreover stuff I am not that excited about so would not have even looked at but for being written by Anthony Ryan
L.K. Evans
What can I say? I'd be surprised if Mr. Ryan ever wrote a book I didn't like. Why, you might ask? Well, it's because of his characters. If a writer can deliver me an in-depth, inner turmoil, haunted type person, then I'm sold. And McLeod is just that character. After the first page, I was submersed in a different world and didn't leave it for the next 75 pages. The world is crazy with tons of references to stuff that Mr. Ryan explains without the dreaded info dump. It just worked itself into my...more
Bill Mcarthur
24 page novella. Sci fi good yarn
K
More mystery than sci fi (which is fine, just different from Blood Song, which is a masterpiece). The world was so complex, it was as if it was a real place, I found myself wishing I could see the places and people he described. This would play out well as a TV series. The main character reminded me of an old fashioned private eye, but there was nothing old about this story.
Karen
A short story prequel to Slab City Blues: A Hymn to Gods Long Dead. Setting reminds me of Katherine Kerr's Polar City Blues with the roughness of 1930's Chicago. Main character is a cop but he has more in common with a 1930's private dective.
Aaron Advani
a good short story that just gets going then ends which is why I gave it 4 stars could have done with being abit longer, will read the next one to see if it keeps the quality level but adds more depth.
Danny
Neat little read. Awaiting my copy of Blood Song(curse my local bookstore's order speed!), decided to try Slab city and gad I did. Downloaded Slab City Blues immediately after. Four Stars!
Al Britten
Really fun sci-fi short... The setting reminded me of The Ballad Of Halo Jones and has definitely whetted my appetite for the others in the series.
Felix
A vivid story. Noir SCI/FI echoing a promising "Dashell Hammett" vibe!
Lisa
Very noir. A real good read.
Johne
Johne marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Matías
Matías marked it as to-read
James
James marked it as to-read
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Dennis Smith
Dennis Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Idornescu
Idornescu marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Michal
Michal added it
Jul 12, 2014
Anthony Ryan writes fantasy and science fiction. He works full time as a researcher, has a degree in history, and lives in London.

For news and general wittering about stuff he likes, check out Anthony's blog at: http://anthonystuff.wordpress.com.
More about Anthony Ryan...
Blood Song (A Raven's Shadow, #1) Tower Lord (Raven's Shadow, #2) Slab City Blues: A Hymn To Gods Long Dead Slab City Blues: A Song for Madame Choi Slab City Blues: The Ballad of Bad Jack