Start by marking “The Crown of the Summer Court” as Want to Read:
The Crown of the Summer Court

The Crown of the Summer Court

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  19 reviews
"The king sent me to get you," Merlin said, with a tone that implied strongly that he wasn't rolling his eyes where Arthur could see, but just wait until his back was turned. "He said you're to get changed into formal clothes and meet him in the Great Hall, there's a delegation coming from the Summer Court."

Merlin (BBC) Canon AU, 24,773 Words
ebook, Free Online Fanfiction, 74 pages
Published February 16th 2009 by AO3

To ask other readers questions about The Crown of the Summer Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crown of the Summer Court

Ami

I don't usually dabble in Canon-Era when it comes to Merlin/Arthur (of Merlin (BBC)) fics. I just feel a little bit uncomfortable. I know it sounds strange, but because in the Canon Era, nothing physically romantic actually happens between them, and I know how the story in that show goes, it's just weird in my head.

... but this one gets quite a number of recommendations, plus it's only around 27K. So I thought, oh well, I should give it a try.

Story wise, I thought it was good. I enjoyed
Miriam Mathew
Wow! astolat has done it again. The Crown of the Summer Court was beautifully written and the characters were well drawn.

It all starts out when the Summer Court, made up of elves, come to Camelot in search of a new king. Candidates are drawn out, and surprise, surprise, Merlin is chosen. Confusion and chaos reigns while everyone at Camelot is both flabbergasted and disbelieving, Merlin included. It was no joke however as much as Merlin wanted to be, and when a champion is needed for Merlin, Arth
Nina
Almost perfect - it left me just a little dissatisfied because I wanted more. Which, yeah, I know, it's not a good reason to lower the rating, whatever.

I love astolat's writing, I'll have to read more by her. I have never watched the TV show so I don't know how authentic it is, but I liked the atmosphere she created in the castle and the way she depicted the relationships between Uther, Morgana, Arthur and Merlin (and a little bit of Gaius and Gwen).

The way Merlin's magic was used not only to he
MLE
Mar 06, 2013 MLE rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
Sweet, and sexy as hell. I really enjoyed the feel of this story. Short, but complete.
karlakolumna
Really great (canonverse) novella. I really loved this one. The only point of crticism that I can think of is its length, it was way too short...

Recommended.
Eve
Aug 15, 2014 Eve rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: merthur
A really delightful, lighthearted Merlin/Arthur fic with lots of fun banter. It starts out with Merlin as Author's manservant in a Camelot where magic is banned, so Arthur has no idea that Merlin has any until the elves come top visit and choose their new king. ..
Arthur

A fanfic about Merlin being an Elvin prince without him realizing it. Before he could make any claim of the throne, however, he has to show his ability before the Elvin Council through a series of tests. Some of the tests pit him against other contenders for the throne. Good thing the rule says the contenders have to fight through their champions. Arthur volunteers to be Merlin's champion. While Arthur is well versed in fighting, can he go against Elvin magic?

I like this for the high fa
Janine Southard
This is, without a doubt, my favorite piece of Merlin fanfiction. I recommend it pretty much all the time. So I'm thrilled that it's rate-able on Goodreads.

The things you need to know: Merlin.
The things it helps to know: Medieval literature of the Otherworld.

The mythology builds beautifully in this story, and the writing is glorious.
Julesmarie
This was great good fun. Merlin makes a delightful half-elven prince, and Arthur was perfect as his champion.

The adventures of the challenges and how Merlin and Arthur get through them all were fascinating and delightful and very fun to read.
DayDreamer
Bottom!Arthur was great, but I couldn't make myself be invested in the story enough. Bonus points for being canon, minus points for the elves.
Ali
A fascinating AU, with Elves. Beautifully written with great Merlin/Arthur interaction and a delightfully dry and witty Morgana.
LenaLena
Canonverse Arthur/Merlin story. Loved this one. Don't miss the artwork on the page!
Seregil
Wow... Merlin x Arthur in a rather canon first season Merlin (TV show) coupled with Tolkien style elves. Now this is what I call awesome fanfiction :)
It has a bit of everything - political intrigue, humor, strange elven laws, magic, hot forbidden romance and even very great illustrations!
I'm only giving it 4 stars because I was a bit disappointed in how little Arthur reacted when finding out about Merlin's magic. It should have been a bit... more.
Anna.E
A nice free short, but it left me with questions, although the story did conclude.
The elves come to Camelot to crown their new king. Arthur forces Merlin to team up with him and their relationship grows as they go though the challenges.
Kate
I really liked the ending. I actually thought it was very clever. However, the reaction to Merlin and Arthur making out in front of everyone was rather subdued.
Mamagan
Great little story, well written, true to TV character. Very hot. Loved it.
Sannah
Maybe more like 3.5.
I really liked this, which surprised me cos i kept starting it and getting bored after the first couple of paragraphs. So when i finally got round to reading the whole thing and it had funny moments and sweet moments and classic fantasy moments i was really pleased.
it also surprised me that it was so short.
and the illistrations were lovely.
Angel Pedroza
I truly enjoyed this short story. It was clever and romantic.
Èmina
I loved this one, it was too short but it was sooo cute and funny. Don't know how I feel about the whole elves thing but I liked the ending...the promise of a future to come after a mans life time.
And I loved how Arthur was so bottomy :D :D
Chrystal
Chrystal marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Inez
Inez marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
  • Drastically Redefining Protocol
  • The Practice Boyfriend
  • The Student Prince (The Student Prince, #1)
  • Turn (Turn!verse, #1)
  • Bond
  • El Presidio Rides North
  • Someone You Might Have Been
  • The Progress of Sherlock Holmes
  • There Are No Gays in Football
  • Prince Among Wolves (Kingdom of Three, #1)
  • Restraint
  • The Doors of Time (The Doors of Time #1)
  • Alone On the Water
  • Heart in Hand
  • But then, My Homework Was Never Quite Like This (Homework Verse, #1)
  • Gravity's Got Nothing on You
  • Saving Connor (Sacrifices arc, #1)
  • No Homo
Favorite Reconcilable Differences Old Country Chaos War A Beautiful Lifetime Event