Start by marking “The Shadow's Heir (The Risen Sun, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow's Heir (The Risen Sun, #1)

The Shadow's Heir (The Risen Sun #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Laela Redguard was born with the black hair of the Northern kingdom and the blue eyes of the Southern people, forever marking her as a hated half-breed child of both. When her only family tie is severed, the fierce and strong-willed Laela decides to leave her adoptive father’s home in the hopes of finding acceptance in the North, where the ruthless King Arenadd and the dar ...more
Published July 1st 2012 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow's Heir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow's Heir

Donna
Me and The Shadow's Heir got off to a rough start.

We're given a description of the heroine, Laela, when she looks at herself on the surface of a bucket of water. Her appearance plays a role in how she's treated, but I've still read reflection descriptions often enough that they yank me right out of any growing curiosity about what's going on. And then there was screaming and frustration and a big, emotional event for someone that I hadn't come to care much about yet.

I put the book down, watched
Indigo
Okay, so this is definitely a book that has parts that I LOVE and parts that I hate. I love the fantasy world that the author has beautifully painted with her words, filled with gods and griffins and deceit. Taylor has also done a good job in creating a strong female lead character, which I always enjoy. Unfortunately, I couldn't really make a connection with Laela (the lead). Although I love some of her personality traits, and straight off the bat I could imagine what she looked like, I found h ...more
TheCosyDragon

Laela's father has just died. When she is facing being thrown out of her village, she decides to make the move herself and abandon the life she has known so far. Little does she know that the wild city is waiting - and that the person she meets might not be the kind of person she assumed him to be.

Laela is a plucky, if somewhat oblivious sometime
Coriander
Simply put, this book was frustrating. The plot itself was fine and the characters were fine, nothing amazing but nothing too bad either. However the writing was a major issue, I know some authors go for trying to write accents phonetically to accentuate characters' location and culture, but its highly frustrating. It distracts me as a reader, and doesn't appreciate that as I (and a large part of the audience) likely already speak English differently from the author, writing phonetically does no ...more
Haley
When I picked up this book this afternoon, I essentially expected a fluff novel. I'm not sure why but I did. What I go instead was this amazing piece of fiction that is full of betrayal and choices. I can't wait to read the next one.
Wayland Smith
This is a fantasy version of medieval Wales. There is magic, Griffins, and Gods. The main character here is Laela, a half breed girl from the South with features that mark her as a Northerner. When her adoptive father dies, she sets off to find out what the North is like, and try to learn more about her past.

She had misadventures along the way before meeting the King of the North, chosen of the Night God. She goes from peasant girl to adviser to the King in a series of twists and turns. It's a n
E.
Jan 07, 2014 E. marked it as to-read
“The Shadow’s Heir” by K.J. Taylor is the initial title in ‘The Risen Sun’ series and continues the sometimes somber tale started in ‘The Fallen Moon’ trilogy. The North is populated by the freed slaves and ruled by Arenadd Taranisaii who has his companion, the griffin Skandar, but feels constricted by his role as ruler. Laela Redguard had always felt outcast because of her obvious similarities to the Northern people and after the death of the man who she considered her adoptive father she elect ...more
Shaheen
I began reading The Shadow’s Heir almost as soon as I finished The Griffin’s War, so I didn’t have a long wait to get back to this world like many other fans did. It was great seeing all my favourite (and some of my not-so-favourite) characters twenty years on. As expected, some of them are changed but others are stubbornly the same.

Of the new characters, I found Laela to be the most likeable and loved watching her grow into herself throughout the book. The discrimination she faces as a ‘half-br
Tani
I felt like this was a case of an author having really good ideas, but not quite being able to execute them. I wanted to like Laela, but I had a hard time doing so, and I think it's mostly just that the writing quality wasn't quite there. The story itself was interesting, but characterization was not quite there. In general, it felt like a book from an inexperienced author. I will keep reading her work, though, because the ideas are definitely there. Just not the rest of the package yet.
Brittany Singh
Loved this book!
Veronica
loved every minute of it.
Lisa
Every time I read a book by K.J. Taylor, I wish my puppy was a griffin. And I don't even like griffins on account of them having pointy beaks and beady eyes. And being way too much like a chicken.

But still. I wish my dog was a Darkheart griffin.
Gina
I loved this so much, I was in tears at the end. Stayed up until 3am to finish this despite having to get up at 7am today. So freaking worth it though...can't wait to start the next book.
Kimberly Ann
Decent book, not great. I think it started off better than it ended. I did like the characters but I figured out one of the major plot points pretty early on. Still, a good read.
Dr susan
The Shadow's Heir would not have been my normal choice for reading material when I am sick. Heir is very dark, filled with betrayal, and death, and without a clear cut hero.
John Cleland
Fun read. Well drawn characters. I'm adding K.J. Taylor to my list of enjoyable authors and this series to my reading list.
Francisca
well written, good story....but - predictable...(maybe I need a new genre?)
Karen
I hope this series continues, awesome to read.
Kris
Sorry. Dropped. I just lost interest.
Amanda (Is Not a Panda)
A great unique storyline
Meredith
Wow, that ending.
William
William marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Kalen Qualls
Kalen Qualls marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Nieras
Nieras marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
  • Winter Be My Shield (Children of the Black Sun, #1)
  • A Guile of Dragons (A Tournament of Shadows, #1)
  • Bite, My Love
  • The Light Heart of Stone
  • The Sentinel Mage (The Cursed Kingdoms, #1)
  • Girl Under Glass
  • The Heir of Night (The Wall of Night, #1)
  • Blood of the Underworld (The Watcher's Blade, #1)
  • Wildcat (Cat Star Chronicles, #9)
  • The Knight (High Kingdom, #1)
  • The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)
  • Geist (Book of the Order, #1)
  • Lord of the Changing Winds (Griffin Mage, #1)
  • Den of Thieves (Ancient Blades, #1)
  • Secrets of the Apple
  • Besieged (The Outcast Chronicles, #1)
  • The Last Page (Caliph Howl, #1)
  • The Courtship (Windham #0.5)
K.J.Taylor was born in Australia in 1986 and plans to stay alive for as long as possible. She went to Radford College and achieved a Bachelor’s Degree in Communications at the University of Canberra, where she is currently studying for a Master’s Degree in Information Studies.

She published her first work, The Land of Bad Fantasy through Scholastic when she was just 18, and went on to publish The D
More about K.J. Taylor...

The Risen Sun (3 books)
  • The Shadowed Throne (The Risen Sun, #2)
  • The Shadow’s Heart (The Risen Sun #3)
The Dark Griffin (The Fallen Moon, #1) The Griffin's Flight (The Fallen Moon, #2) The Griffin's War (The Fallen Moon #3) The Shadowed Throne (The Risen Sun, #2) The Shadow’s Heart (The Risen Sun #3)