The Rose of Fire (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #2.5)

The Rose of Fire (El cementerio de los libros olvidados #2.5)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  1,437 ratings  ·  186 reviews
Set at the time of the Spanish Inquisition in the fifteenth century, “Rose of Fire” tells the story of the origins of the mysterious labyrinthine library, the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, which lies at the heart of Carlos Ruiz Zafón’s novels The Shadow of the Wind, The Angel’s Game, and now The Prisoner of Heaven.
Published June 26th 2012 by HarperCollins ebooks (first published 2012)

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovThe House of the Spirits by Isabel AllendeKafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
Best Magic Realism
17th out of 42 books — 71 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie MeyerVampire Academy by Richelle MeadSpirit Bound by Richelle Mead
Best Books Ever!!!
76th out of 159 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura (booksnob)
One of my favorite books of all time is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. In it, there is the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a labyrinthine library that winds underground. Rose of Fire is a short story that defines the origins of this labyrinth and how it came into existence.

The story begins in 1454 when a ship was sighted aground on the coast of Spain with a soul survivor tied to the helm of the ship. On the dying man's person was a journal written in a foreign tongue. This journal hol...more
Lora Christova
I had never heard about this novelist before, but yesterday when I went to the Book fair, that took place in The National Palace of Culture in Sofia, Bulgaria, I was given this story by a promoter of one of the publishing houses.
I have to say that I really loved it and I want to read the other novels of this author as well :) I have the feeling that they are gonna be really nice. I am very curious. :)

About this story in particular, I have to say that I really liked it. Really interesting for me...more
Blair
A short story which acts as a prequel to the author's Barcelona quartet, giving some background on the origins of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. It's not available in the UK, so I had to acquire it by other means - strange, since it's free for Kindle in the US! Anyway, I enjoyed the story but, as always with this kind of thing, it was very slight and I wish it could have been longer.
Wendy Darling
Download the free short story for Kindle, Nook, etc. here: http://files.harpercollins.com/Assets...
Cat
It's a nice, decent tale. Nothing special, but it is always good to read something by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.
Chris
July 10 is marked on my calendar. Carlos Ruiz Zafon's latest installment in the series that began with the magical book "The Shadow of the Wind" comes out on that day. I can't wait to dive into it---and this book, in addition to the short story "The Rose of Fire," gives us a preview of what must be the first chapter.

The Rose of Fire begins even before the beginning. It tells a fairy tale of sorts, set in the heart and hypocrisy of the Spanish Inquisition and explores the nature of true goodness...more
Monique
Jan 14, 2013 Monique rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Monique by: Louize
Shelves: 2013, kindle, short-story

Original post here.

description

The Rose of Fire is a short, short story - so short in fact that I managed to finish reading it in the 10- to 15-minute period I spent waiting for my take-out at a pizza place last week. While reading on the phone (with the awful backlight) wasn't very ideal for my poor eyes, I had to browse through my Kindle app anyway to look for something with which to pass the time. (But I forgive the pizza place if only for the sumptuous baked macaroni.) The Rose of Fire proved to be mo...more
Maite
No sabía con que me encontraría al leer esta historia. Como primer punto a favor, me sentí emocionada al saber que develaría el origen del Cementerio de los Libros Olvidados.

En manos de David Martín mis expectativas se derrumbaron un poco, puesto que no tengo la mayor fe en el personaje y nunca ha sido mi favorito. Sin embargo, como las historias de Carlos Ruiz Zafón, no deja de ser fascinante de principio a fin y lo que culmina con los Sempere afortunadamente tiene origen en ellos también.

Como...more
Free on Kindle.

Location 38:
It was the year of Our Lord 1454. A plague had decimated the population during the winter and the city lay under a blanket of ochre-coloured smoke that rose from bonfires ablaze with hundreds of corpses and shrouds.

Location 65:
And so it was that the printer spent the entire night reading and translating for the Grand Inquisitor the secret diary of Edmond de Luna, adventurer and bearer of a curse that was to bring the beast to Barcelona.

Location 88:
For months on end Edm...more
David Edmonds

Rose of Fire is a free ebook prequel to the Carlos Ruiz Zafón's The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series. The story is described as telling the history of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, which intrigued me as this remains on of the main mysteries for me in the first two books of the series, The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game. However, while the story does tell the origins, it doesn't tell the complete history of the Cemetery, so while it answers some questions, it really just leaves as m...more
Gwen
This is a free short story dealing with the origins of the Cemetary of Forgotten Books that is introduced in The Shadow of the Wind and again in The Angel's Game. It could stand on its own as a odd little legend, but you'd probably get more out of it if you had some knowledge of the Cemetary given in the other books as well as a familiarity with the Sempere family, since one of their ancestors appears to play a role here.

The prose is typical Zafon, with a tendency toward the flowery, but overall...more
Rebecca Scaglione (Love at First Book)
Talk about disappointing. From the author who brought us amazing books like The Shadow of the Wind and The Prisoner of Heaven (also The Angel’s Game, which was good but not amazing), there’s The Rose of Fire.

Supposedly this short story will explain the origins of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. I was so excited to read it (thanks to Mel @ The Book Musings who told me it existed).

What a disappointment for real. While now I know a little more about the Cemetery of Forgotten books, I don’t even ca...more
Darsana
Sep 02, 2012 Darsana rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Meryl! Joice! Zafon Fans!
Recommended to Darsana by: The internet
Shelves: shorts
WHAT?

That raised more questions than answers!!

A short story dedicated to the unveiling of the history of The Cemetery of Forgotten Books (Series by Carloz Ruiz Zafon), 'The Rose of Fire' is overflowing with Zafons' delectable prose. The story has more in common with The Angels Game than The Shadow of the Wind, with regard to more mythical elements and supernatural phenomenon. I wish he detailed it further though, rather than just give us a glimpse of the inception of the Library.

Not as great as...more
Albert
The Rose of Fire by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is a short story that takes place during the incarceration of David Martin, the tale of which is told in The Prisoner of Heaven. The other prisoners ask Martin to tell them a story and Martin tells them the origin of the labyrinthine library; the Cemetery of Forgotten Books.

"...By the time a timid voice dared to suggest that a terrible punishment might fall upon them from Heaven to purge the vile act committed against the Jewish traders In Nomine Dei, it wa...more
Stefan

I have never read anything by Carlos Ruiz Zafon until now, but after reading this free short story that gives the origin of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books,
The Shadow Of The Wind and The Angel's Game have been bumped to the top of my reading list.
Steven
Great short-short that adds another layer of fun details onto the Cemetery of Forgotten Books book series.
Voldemort
A typical David Martini tale! But I’m still hoping for Zafon’s fourth book to explain every little detail The Cemetery of Forgotten Books conceals.
Irrelevant but my friend breathes exactly like a dragon, a noisily gulp of air into the lungs followed by a warm almost quiet exhale.
I’ll have to takes notes of her menstrual cycle dates if I ever need that drop of blood to immortality.
Blodeuedd Finland
There isn't much to say about this one, it was only a few pages. So I learned a few things, but at the same time I learned nothing. He is better at writing long stories, it flows more there.

Still interesting of how it all came to be. I'd like a longer book about it.
Jessica Jeffers
Just a quickie short story about the origins of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, an element central to Zafon's novels. Nothing particularly special, but it does include an excerpt of Prisoner of Heaven, which I cannot wait to get my hands on!
Lou
My reaction when I finished: I want more! I want more!

That was great! I mean, this is a short story but it explains a lot about The Cemetery of Forgotten Books. I can't wait to read the fourth book of this collection!
Kaethe
Nice little free back story on the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. I love this business of authors giving away stories set in the interstices between their novels.

Free download
Marion
This is a 30-page free download, with about 12 pages devoted to a short story and the rest a several-chapter preview of Zafon's new book, due out July 10, 2012. Can't wait.
Chris
Nice and very cool short story set in Spain of the Middle Ages.
Serena
Carlos Ruiz Zafón, author of The Shadow of the Wind, is like many other authors these days in that he is pumping out short stories for digital devices. The Rose of Fire is one such story, but this story tells the tale of how the Cemetery of Forgotten Books was born at the time of the Spanish Inquisition in the fifteenth century. The labyrinth of books is an intriguing idea, and Zafón’s prose is at once lyrical and absorbing, transporting readers into another time and place.

As fear and suspicion...more
Lynne
The Rose of Fire is a prequel to The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series. I read (and LOVED) the first book in the series, The Shadow in the Wind, in June 2012 and even though this short story prequel was published around that same time, I'm only now getting around to reading it.

The setting is 15th century Barcelona. The Rose of the Fire is a short tale of how the patriarch of the Sempere family came to be the caregiver of the Cemetery of the Forgotten Books, a magnificent and secretive, undergro...more
Denisse
“Sé que no es usted hombre de fe, Edmond, pero la fe se encuentra cuando no se busca y llegará el día en que sea su corazón, no su mente, el que anhele la purificación del alma”

Su mente no podía abarcar la complejidad y la aritmética que sostenía aquella ilusión, pero se dijo que vendrían mentes más preclaras capaces de dilucidar sus secretos y que, hasta entonces, hasta que otros más sabios pudieran encontrar el modo de salvar el laberinto y recordar el precio de la bestia, guardaría el plano e
Mariana
LuAnn
This is my first experience with the works of Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

I enjoyed the language and the tone of Rose of Fire. It is a prequel to Zafon's other works, which I am now wanting to read as well. I just wanted it to be longer.

You have the Spanish Inquisition as a backdrop, where power corrupted as much as it sought to quash evil. You have the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, the result of a desire by Emperor Constantine to save the knowledge of his city's past from the invading Ottoman Empire. The...more
Darcey
Without background knowledge of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series, this short story can be read as a stand-alone, though there is some failure to connect all the dots one could, if they had knowledge of the series. Nonetheless it's a quick and pleasant read, vivid and providing just that extra tantalizing bit of information one could wish for the backstory, to make the reading of the other books all that more enjoyable
Theresa
This very short story, only available as a free ebook, is the prequel to Zafon's Cemetery of Forgotten Books trilogy. Like the trilogy, it is filled with the wonderful prose of Zafon, but it was, in my opinion, too brief. It does not fully explain the origin of the Cemetery but did add more mystery and intrigue and supernatural elements to the saga. It was well worth the 15 minutes required to read it!
  • Raven Strike (Dreamland, #13)
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • Dead Politician Society: A Clare Vengel Undercover Novel
  • A World I Never Made
  • Sacred Treason (Clarenceux, #1)
  • A Place Called Armageddon
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Needle in a Haystack
  • Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
  • The Breath of God: A Novel of Suspense
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition
  • The Mirror and the Light (Thomas Cromwell, #3)
  • The Lens and the Looker
  • Pharaoh's Son
  • The Drowning Guard: A Novel of the Ottoman Empire
  • The Last Secret Of The Temple
  • A Child al Confino: A True Story of Escape in War-Time Italy
  • Amberville
Carlos Ruiz Zafón is a Spanish novelist. Born in Barcelona in 1964, he has lived in Los Angeles, United States, since 1994, and works as a scriptwriter aside from writing novels.

His first novel, El príncipe de la niebla (The Prince of Mist, 1993), earned the Edebé literary prize for young adult fiction. He is also the author of three more young-adult novels, El palacio de la medianoche (1994), Las...more
More about Carlos Ruiz Zafón...
The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books,  #1) The Angel's Game (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #2) The Prisoner of Heaven (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3) The Prince of Mist (Niebla, #1) Marina