Start by marking “The Rose of Fire (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Rose of Fire (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #2.5)

The Rose of Fire (El cementerio de los libros olvidados #2.5)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,199 Ratings  ·  316 Reviews
Set at the time of the Spanish Inquisition in the fifteenth century, “Rose of Fire” tells the story of the origins of the mysterious labyrinthine library, the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, which lies at the heart of Carlos Ruiz Zafón’s novels The Shadow of the Wind, The Angel’s Game, and now The Prisoner of Heaven.
Published June 26th 2012 by HarperCollins ebooks (first published January 1st 2012)

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyMatilda by Roald DahlThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Books about Books
294th out of 781 books — 1,243 voters
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezMagic America by C.E. MedfordThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe House of the Spirits by Isabel AllendeCurious Reality by D.K. Cassidy
Best Magic Realism
33rd out of 96 books — 181 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura (booksnob)
Jul 18, 2012 Laura (booksnob) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
One of my favorite books of all time is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. In it, there is the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a labyrinthine library that winds underground. Rose of Fire is a short story that defines the origins of this labyrinth and how it came into existence.

The story begins in 1454 when a ship was sighted aground on the coast of Spain with a soul survivor tied to the helm of the ship. On the dying man's person was a journal written in a foreign tongue. This journal hol
Antonio

Dieciocho páginas ¿enserio? Solo 18 páginas, si la historia es bonita, si, Zafón sigue teniendo una prosa maravillosa, e incluso hay un elemento sorprendente en este relato, (view spoiler) que no me esperaba para nada, dado el tono de los libros anteriores, pero, un gran pero, yo no quiero una precuela de 18 páginas, yo quiero “El cementerio de los libros olvidados Los Orígenes” que sea por lo menos una trilogía de entre 500 y 700 páginas por libro ¡entiendes Zafón! y ya que est
Magdalena
This short story by Carlos Ruiz Zafón tells the story about the origin of The Cemetery of Forgotten Books. It's a great story. So why only 3 stars? Because It's a bloody short story and not 300-500 pages thick book instead. It feels like reading a summary of a book.

Mental note to self: When you are writing a review on your mother's computer in the future. Save a draft for unexpected "Blue Screen of Death" incidents...
Maxwell
Dec 14, 2015 Maxwell rated it it was ok
I don't know how to rate this. It was extremely short, and the blurb is misleading. It barely tells you at all about the construction of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. It only tells you about the man who drew up the plans for it. And then it ends. Basically, not necessary to the series unless Zafon had expanded the story and made it a novella or even a novel with cool Medieval elements.
Charlene
Aug 10, 2014 Charlene rated it liked it
A quick short story, (the Kindle version is free!) concerning The Cemetery of Forgotten Books and how it came to be. I enjoyed it, but was disappointed when it ended at 37%.
Wendy Darling
Download the free short story for Kindle, Nook, etc. here: http://files.harpercollins.com/Assets...
TL
Aug 05, 2014 TL rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Mr Zafon's other books
Shelves: favorites
3.5: A nice short story about the origins of the 'Cemetery of Forgotten Books', an ancestor of a certain character is mentioned as well, made me smile :).
Only complaint, the page count says 34 but its only 16... 18 pages are a preview of 'the prisoner of heaven'
~~~~

Mister Zafon's wonderful writing and imagery are on fine display here and he makes the most of the short length :

"The chronicles tell us that when the maker of labyrinths reached Barcelona on board a vessel hailing from the East, he
Chris
Jul 05, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
July 10 is marked on my calendar. Carlos Ruiz Zafon's latest installment in the series that began with the magical book "The Shadow of the Wind" comes out on that day. I can't wait to dive into it---and this book, in addition to the short story "The Rose of Fire," gives us a preview of what must be the first chapter.

The Rose of Fire begins even before the beginning. It tells a fairy tale of sorts, set in the heart and hypocrisy of the Spanish Inquisition and explores the nature of true goodness
Lora Christova
Dec 08, 2012 Lora Christova rated it it was amazing
I had never heard about this novelist before, but yesterday when I went to the Book fair, that took place in The National Palace of Culture in Sofia, Bulgaria, I was given this story by a promoter of one of the publishing houses.
I have to say that I really loved it and I want to read the other novels of this author as well :) I have the feeling that they are gonna be really nice. I am very curious. :)

About this story in particular, I have to say that I really liked it. Really interesting for me
Carolina
Apr 03, 2016 Carolina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Amor y odio es lo que siento hacia los libros de este autor y cuando por fin siento que ya lo había superado, vuelvo al punto de inicio. No es que tenga nada contra él o sus libros es solo que siento que no son tan buenos como todo el mundo dice y caen en lo redundante, sin embargo no puedo evitar obsesionarme un poco con ellos.

Y cuando en Las luces de septiembre nombran a Corelli me volvieron todas las ganas de leerme el cuarto libro de El cementerio de los libros olvidados y como ese libro no
Cat
Jan 15, 2014 Cat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
It's a nice, decent tale. Nothing special, but it is always good to read something by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.
Denisse
Jul 31, 2015 Denisse rated it it was amazing
“Sé que no es usted hombre de fe, Edmond, pero la fe se encuentra cuando no se busca y llegará el día en que sea su corazón, no su mente, el que anhele la purificación del alma”

"Su mente no podía abarcar la complejidad y la aritmética que sostenía aquella ilusión, pero se dijo que vendrían mentes más preclaras capaces de dilucidar sus secretos y que, hasta entonces, hasta que otros más sabios pudieran encontrar el modo de salvar el laberinto y recordar el precio de la bestia, guardaría el plano
Fernanda
Apr 22, 2015 Fernanda rated it it was amazing
oh... Tão giro este conto.

Um conto fantástico e com um fim emocionante.
Uma estreia com a escrita de Zafon e foi excelente.... um aguçar da curiosidade em relação as outras historia do autor.

Zafon oferece-nos neste conto uma história fantástica a raiar as histórias infantis onde há sempre uma apelo aos valores morais e humanos, que cada vez mais numa sociedade egoista e indivualista, são um bem a não esquecer.

Este conto estava free na livraria Kobo, nao sei se ainda está, mas é de facto uma histo
Blair
A short story which acts as a prequel to the author's Barcelona quartet, giving some background on the origins of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. I enjoyed the story but, as always with this kind of thing, it was very slight and I wish it could have been longer.
Kaethe
Nice little free back story on the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. I love this business of authors giving away stories set in the interstices between their novels.

Free download
Brenda Suarez
Oct 19, 2015 Brenda Suarez rated it it was amazing
Amando a los Sempere desde 1454 lol
David Edmonds
Aug 16, 2012 David Edmonds rated it really liked it

Rose of Fire is a free ebook prequel to the Carlos Ruiz Zafón's The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series. The story is described as telling the history of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, which intrigued me as this remains on of the main mysteries for me in the first two books of the series, The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game. However, while the story does tell the origins, it doesn't tell the complete history of the Cemetery, so while it answers some questions, it really just leaves as m
Maite
Feb 07, 2016 Maite rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-shelf, reviewed
No sabía con que me encontraría al leer esta historia. Como primer punto a favor, me sentí emocionada al saber que develaría el origen del Cementerio de los Libros Olvidados.

En manos de David Martín mis expectativas se derrumbaron un poco, puesto que no tengo la mayor fe en el personaje y nunca ha sido mi favorito. Sin embargo, como las historias de Carlos Ruiz Zafón, no deja de ser fascinante de principio a fin y lo que culmina con los Sempere afortunadamente tiene origen en ellos también.

Como
Free on Kindle.

Location 38:
It was the year of Our Lord 1454. A plague had decimated the population during the winter and the city lay under a blanket of ochre-coloured smoke that rose from bonfires ablaze with hundreds of corpses and shrouds.

Location 65:
And so it was that the printer spent the entire night reading and translating for the Grand Inquisitor the secret diary of Edmond de Luna, adventurer and bearer of a curse that was to bring the beast to Barcelona.

Location 88:
For months on end Edm
Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui
There is always a chill that goes through me whenever I plan to read a Carlos Ruiz Zafon book. This was no different. This book is not a novel itself but rather explains the mystery behind the cemetery of forgotten books which is present in every book of this series. The revealing of the mystery left me a little confused at the end but these few pages of a book is worth a read for all the fans of the series. When the mystery unfolds it leads to more questions that's why I removed one star and of ...more
Elias Jabbour
Aug 31, 2015 Elias Jabbour rated it liked it
Zafon continues to impress us with his marvelous novels.
He creates life within the lines, making plot twists stupendously amazing,all through his talents at descriptive paragraphs. John Green should learn from Zafon, but until his learning is complete, his books would have been thrown in some modern literature trash bin, dejecting his silly fans.
Susana
Um pequeno conto agradável de ler, mas que sabe a pouco...

Se alguém estiver interessado, fiz uma tradução deste conto para português. Quem quiser receber o ficheiro, indique o e-mail em comentário ou mande-me mensagem privada.
Jessica
Mar 21, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
Short, somewhat under-detailed story behind the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. I would have liked to know how it actually came to be built.
Mariana
Mar 07, 2013 Mariana rated it really liked it
Monique
Jan 14, 2013 Monique rated it liked it
Recommended to Monique by: Louize

Original post here.

description

The Rose of Fire is a short, short story - so short in fact that I managed to finish reading it in the 10- to 15-minute period I spent waiting for my take-out at a pizza place last week. While reading on the phone (with the awful backlight) wasn't very ideal for my poor eyes, I had to browse through my Kindle app anyway to look for something with which to pass the time. (But I forgive the pizza place if only for the sumptuous baked macaroni.) The Rose of Fire proved to be
Rebecca Scaglione
Apr 21, 2013 Rebecca Scaglione rated it did not like it
Talk about disappointing. From the author who brought us amazing books like The Shadow of the Wind and The Prisoner of Heaven (also The Angel’s Game, which was good but not amazing), there’s The Rose of Fire.

Supposedly this short story will explain the origins of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. I was so excited to read it (thanks to Mel @ The Book Musings who told me it existed).

What a disappointment for real. While now I know a little more about the Cemetery of Forgotten books, I don’t even ca
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
No puedo creer que este relato saliera hace años y yo no me hubiera enterado. Lo encontré ayer por casualidad mientras revisaba por millonésima vez la página de Goodreads de Zafón y wow... ¡es genial! O sea, es ridículamente corto, pero me encantó +.+

A pesar de que lo leí en inglés porque no lo encontré en español, se nota por la traducción el estilo elegante y único de Zafón. ¡Y qué historia, señores, qué historia! Esto bien podría convertirse en una precuela en toda regla, en un libro de unas
Marjolein
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

The Rose of Fire is 'book' #2.5 in The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series.

A lovely short story by Zafón that was written to be a teaser for The prisoner of heaven but as with all the stories in the series, it doesn't really matter where you read it. It's set in Spain during the Inquisition and tells the origin of the cemetery of forgotten books. My only complaint is that it's so short! How long do we have to wait till th
Susan
Rose of Fire by Carlos Ruiz Zafón is a short-story prequel to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series set in Barcelona. In 1454, Barcelona is just beginning to recover from a winter of plague when a stranger arrives by sea. Sempere the printer is asked to translate the stranger’s journal, in which is recorded a life of adventure and secrets. The traveler was an expert in creating labyrinths. A greedy and power-hungry Inquisitor seizes a supposed treasure, with catastrophic (and fantastical) resul ...more
Darsana
Sep 02, 2012 Darsana rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Meryl! Joice! Zafon Fans!
Recommended to Darsana by: The internet
Shelves: shorts
WHAT?

That raised more questions than answers!!

A short story dedicated to the unveiling of the history of The Cemetery of Forgotten Books (Series by Carloz Ruiz Zafon), 'The Rose of Fire' is overflowing with Zafons' delectable prose. The story has more in common with The Angels Game than The Shadow of the Wind, with regard to more mythical elements and supernatural phenomenon. I wish he detailed it further though, rather than just give us a glimpse of the inception of the Library.

Not as great as
Around the Year i...: The Rose of Fire, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón 1 7 Jun 11, 2016 01:07AM
Summary 1 2 Apr 20, 2016 12:30AM
  • Under the Olive Tree
  • Raven Strike (Dreamland, #13)
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • Girl Mary
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • I Hunt Killers - Free Preview (The First 10 Chapters): with Bonus Prequel Short Story "Career Day"
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
  • Sacred Treason (Clarenceux, #1)
  • A Barricade In Hell (Delia Martin, #2)
  • John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood
  • A World I Never Made
  • The Lens and the Looker
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • A Place Called Armageddon
  • Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
  • The Phoenix Requiem Volume Three
  • The Last Romanov
  • The Library of Shadows
Carlos Ruiz Zafón is a Spanish novelist. Born in Barcelona in 1964, he has lived in Los Ángeles, United States, since 1994, and works as a scriptwriter aside from writing novels.

His first novel, El príncipe de la niebla (The Prince of Mist, 1993), earned the Edebé literary prize for young adult fiction. He is also the author of three more young-adult novels, El palacio de la medianoche (1994), Las
More about Carlos Ruiz Zafón...

El cementerio de los libros olvidados (5 books)
  • Der Fürst des Parnass
  • The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books,  #1)
  • El juego del ángel (El cementerio de los libros olvidados, #2)
  • Więzień nieba. Książę Parnasu
  • The Prisoner of Heaven (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3)

“Erzählen Sie Don Antoni das mit Ihrer Komödie", ermunterte ihn Sancho.
"Eigentlich ist es eine Tragödie", nuancierte Cervantes.
"Und worin besteht der Unterschied, wenn der Meister meine grobe Unwissenheit in den feinen Dichtungsgattungen entschuldigt?"
"Die Komödie lehrt uns, dass man das Leben nicht ernst nehmen darf, und die Tragödie lehrt uns, was geschieht, wenn wir dem keine Beachtung schenken, was uns die Komödie lehrt", erläuterte Cervantes.”
1 likes
“Die Liebe ist der einzige Stein, der immer über denselben Menschen stoplert.” 1 likes