Start by marking “The Rose of Fire (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Rose of Fire (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #2.5)

The Rose of Fire (El cementerio de los libros olvidados #2.5)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  2,474 ratings  ·  265 reviews
Set at the time of the Spanish Inquisition in the fifteenth century, “Rose of Fire” tells the story of the origins of the mysterious labyrinthine library, the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, which lies at the heart of Carlos Ruiz Zafón’s novels The Shadow of the Wind, The Angel’s Game, and now The Prisoner of Heaven.
Published June 26th 2012 by HarperCollins ebooks (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Rose of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rose of Fire

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónMagic America by C.E. MedfordThe House of the Spirits by Isabel AllendeCurious Reality by D.K. Cassidy
Best Magic Realism
28th out of 68 books — 142 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyMatilda by Roald DahlThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Books about Books
266th out of 671 books — 1,080 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura (booksnob)
One of my favorite books of all time is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. In it, there is the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a labyrinthine library that winds underground. Rose of Fire is a short story that defines the origins of this labyrinth and how it came into existence.

The story begins in 1454 when a ship was sighted aground on the coast of Spain with a soul survivor tied to the helm of the ship. On the dying man's person was a journal written in a foreign tongue. This journal hol
Magdalena
This short story by Carlos Ruiz Zafón tells the story about the origin of The Cemetery of Forgotten Books. It's a great story. So why only 3 stars? Because It's a bloody short story and not a 300-500 pages thick book instead. It feels like reading a summary of a book.

Mental note to self: When you are writing a review on your mother's computer in the future. Save a draft for unexpected "Blue Screen of Death" incidents...

Review also posted on And Now for Something Completely Different and It's a M
Charlene
A quick short story, (the Kindle version is free!) concerning The Cemetery of Forgotten Books and how it came to be. I enjoyed it, but was disappointed when it ended at 37%.
Wendy Darling
Download the free short story for Kindle, Nook, etc. here: http://files.harpercollins.com/Assets...
TL
Aug 05, 2014 TL rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Mr Zafon's other books
Shelves: favorites
3.5: A nice short story about the origins of the 'Cemetery of Forgotten Books', an ancestor of a certain character is mentioned as well, made me smile :).
Only complaint, the page count says 34 but its only 16... 18 pages are a preview of 'the prisoner of heaven'
~~~~

Mister Zafon's wonderful writing and imagery are on fine display here and he makes the most of the short length :

"The chronicles tell us that when the maker of labyrinths reached Barcelona on board a vessel hailing from the East, he
Chris
July 10 is marked on my calendar. Carlos Ruiz Zafon's latest installment in the series that began with the magical book "The Shadow of the Wind" comes out on that day. I can't wait to dive into it---and this book, in addition to the short story "The Rose of Fire," gives us a preview of what must be the first chapter.

The Rose of Fire begins even before the beginning. It tells a fairy tale of sorts, set in the heart and hypocrisy of the Spanish Inquisition and explores the nature of true goodness
Lora Christova
I had never heard about this novelist before, but yesterday when I went to the Book fair, that took place in The National Palace of Culture in Sofia, Bulgaria, I was given this story by a promoter of one of the publishing houses.
I have to say that I really loved it and I want to read the other novels of this author as well :) I have the feeling that they are gonna be really nice. I am very curious. :)

About this story in particular, I have to say that I really liked it. Really interesting for me
Cat
It's a nice, decent tale. Nothing special, but it is always good to read something by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.
Fernanda
oh... Tão giro este conto.

Um conto fantástico e com um fim emocionante.
Uma estreia com a escrita de Zafon e foi excelente.... um aguçar da curiosidade em relação as outras historia do autor.

Zafon oferece-nos neste conto uma história fantástica a raiar as histórias infantis onde há sempre uma apelo aos valores morais e humanos, que cada vez mais numa sociedade egoista e indivualista, são um bem a não esquecer.

Este conto estava free na livraria Kobo, nao sei se ainda está, mas é de facto uma histo
Blair
A short story which acts as a prequel to the author's Barcelona quartet, giving some background on the origins of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. It's not available in the UK, so I had to acquire it by other means - strange, since it's free for Kindle in the US! Anyway, I enjoyed the story but, as always with this kind of thing, it was very slight and I wish it could have been longer.
Kaethe
Nice little free back story on the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. I love this business of authors giving away stories set in the interstices between their novels.

Free download
David Edmonds

Rose of Fire is a free ebook prequel to the Carlos Ruiz Zafón's The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series. The story is described as telling the history of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, which intrigued me as this remains on of the main mysteries for me in the first two books of the series, The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game. However, while the story does tell the origins, it doesn't tell the complete history of the Cemetery, so while it answers some questions, it really just leaves as m
Monique
Jan 14, 2013 Monique rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Monique by: Louize

Original post here.

description

The Rose of Fire is a short, short story - so short in fact that I managed to finish reading it in the 10- to 15-minute period I spent waiting for my take-out at a pizza place last week. While reading on the phone (with the awful backlight) wasn't very ideal for my poor eyes, I had to browse through my Kindle app anyway to look for something with which to pass the time. (But I forgive the pizza place if only for the sumptuous baked macaroni.) The Rose of Fire proved to be
Maite
No sabía con que me encontraría al leer esta historia. Como primer punto a favor, me sentí emocionada al saber que develaría el origen del Cementerio de los Libros Olvidados.

En manos de David Martín mis expectativas se derrumbaron un poco, puesto que no tengo la mayor fe en el personaje y nunca ha sido mi favorito. Sin embargo, como las historias de Carlos Ruiz Zafón, no deja de ser fascinante de principio a fin y lo que culmina con los Sempere afortunadamente tiene origen en ellos también.

Como
Free on Kindle.

Location 38:
It was the year of Our Lord 1454. A plague had decimated the population during the winter and the city lay under a blanket of ochre-coloured smoke that rose from bonfires ablaze with hundreds of corpses and shrouds.

Location 65:
And so it was that the printer spent the entire night reading and translating for the Grand Inquisitor the secret diary of Edmond de Luna, adventurer and bearer of a curse that was to bring the beast to Barcelona.

Location 88:
For months on end Edm
Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui
There is always a chill that goes through me whenever I plan to read a Carlos Ruiz Zafon book. This was no different. This book is not a novel itself but rather explains the mystery behind the cemetery of forgotten books which is present in every book of this series. The revealing of the mystery left me a little confused at the end but these few pages of a book is worth a read for all the fans of the series. When the mystery unfolds it leads to more questions that's why I removed one star and of ...more
Susana
Um pequeno conto agradável de ler, mas que sabe a pouco...

Se alguém estiver interessado, fiz uma tradução deste conto para português. Quem quiser receber o ficheiro, indique o e-mail em comentário ou mande-me mensagem privada.
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
No puedo creer que este relato saliera hace años y yo no me hubiera enterado. Lo encontré ayer por casualidad mientras revisaba por millonésima vez la página de Goodreads de Zafón y wow... ¡es genial! O sea, es ridículamente corto, pero me encantó +.+

A pesar de que lo leí en inglés porque no lo encontré en español, se nota por la traducción el estilo elegante y único de Zafón. ¡Y qué historia, señores, qué historia! Esto bien podría convertirse en una precuela en toda regla, en un libro de unas
Mariana
Susan
Rose of Fire by Carlos Ruiz Zafón is a short-story prequel to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series set in Barcelona. In 1454, Barcelona is just beginning to recover from a winter of plague when a stranger arrives by sea. Sempere the printer is asked to translate the stranger’s journal, in which is recorded a life of adventure and secrets. The traveler was an expert in creating labyrinths. A greedy and power-hungry Inquisitor seizes a supposed treasure, with catastrophic (and fantastical) resul ...more
Rebecca Scaglione
Talk about disappointing. From the author who brought us amazing books like The Shadow of the Wind and The Prisoner of Heaven (also The Angel’s Game, which was good but not amazing), there’s The Rose of Fire.

Supposedly this short story will explain the origins of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. I was so excited to read it (thanks to Mel @ The Book Musings who told me it existed).

What a disappointment for real. While now I know a little more about the Cemetery of Forgotten books, I don’t even ca
Elias Jabbour
Zafon continues to impress us with his marvelous novels.
He creates life within the lines, making plot twists stupendously amazing,all through his talents at descriptive paragraphs. John Green should learn from Zafon, but until his learning is complete, his books would have been thrown in some modern literature trash bin, dejecting his silly fans.
Anna
as it stands, I think this would work better as a prologue or epilogue for "Shadow" or as the germ of a full novel
Darsana
Sep 02, 2012 Darsana rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Meryl! Joice! Zafon Fans!
Recommended to Darsana by: The internet
Shelves: shorts
WHAT?

That raised more questions than answers!!

A short story dedicated to the unveiling of the history of The Cemetery of Forgotten Books (Series by Carloz Ruiz Zafon), 'The Rose of Fire' is overflowing with Zafons' delectable prose. The story has more in common with The Angels Game than The Shadow of the Wind, with regard to more mythical elements and supernatural phenomenon. I wish he detailed it further though, rather than just give us a glimpse of the inception of the Library.

Not as great as
Donat que m'encanten els llibres d'aquest home i és dels pocs escriptors dels que he llegit absolutament tot el que ha escrit...no podia deixar de llegir aquesta mini història quan he descobert que existia.
Majo
La Rosa de Fuego, de Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Una Obra Magistral, como todas las de Zafón en la que el autor nos lleva a conocer algo tan enigmático, maravilloso y perturbador como lo es el verdadero origen de El Cementerio de los Libros Olvidados.

Y así, llegado el 23 de abril, los presos de la galería se volvieron a mirar a David Martín, que yacía en la sombra de su celda con los ojos cerrados, y le pidieron que les contase una historia con la que ahuyentar el tedio. “Os contaré una historia”, dijo él
Albert
The Rose of Fire by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is a short story that takes place during the incarceration of David Martin, the tale of which is told in The Prisoner of Heaven. The other prisoners ask Martin to tell them a story and Martin tells them the origin of the labyrinthine library; the Cemetery of Forgotten Books.

"...By the time a timid voice dared to suggest that a terrible punishment might fall upon them from Heaven to purge the vile act committed against the Jewish traders In Nomine Dei, it wa
Stefan

I have never read anything by Carlos Ruiz Zafon until now, but after reading this free short story that gives the origin of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books,
The Shadow Of The Wind and The Angel's Game have been bumped to the top of my reading list.
Steven
Great short-short that adds another layer of fun details onto the Cemetery of Forgotten Books book series.
Voldemort
A typical David Martini tale! But I’m still hoping for Zafon’s fourth book to explain every little detail The Cemetery of Forgotten Books conceals.
Irrelevant but my friend breathes exactly like a dragon, a noisily gulp of air into the lungs followed by a warm almost quiet exhale.
I’ll have to takes notes of her menstrual cycle dates if I ever need that drop of blood to immortality.
  • Under the Olive Tree
  • The Ruins of Lace
  • The Lens and the Looker
  • The Man Who Bridged the Mist
  • The Library of Shadows
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Raven Strike (Dreamland, #13)
  • The Front Porch Prophet
  • Winston's War (Winston Churchill #1)
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • The Last Romanov
  • Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
  • I Hunt Killers - Free Preview (The First 10 Chapters): with Bonus Prequel Short Story "Career Day"
  • Inventing the Victorians
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
  • Dawn of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #0.5)
Carlos Ruiz Zafón is a Spanish novelist. Born in Barcelona in 1964, he has lived in Los Angeles, United States, since 1994, and works as a scriptwriter aside from writing novels.

His first novel, El príncipe de la niebla (The Prince of Mist, 1993), earned the Edebé literary prize for young adult fiction. He is also the author of three more young-adult novels, El palacio de la medianoche (1994), Las
More about Carlos Ruiz Zafón...

El cementerio de los libros olvidados (3 books)
  • The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books,  #1)
  • El juego del ángel (El cementerio de los libros olvidados, #2)
  • The Prisoner of Heaven (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3)
The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books,  #1) El juego del ángel (El cementerio de los libros olvidados, #2) The Prisoner of Heaven (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3) Marina The Prince of Mist (Niebla, #1)

“Erzählen Sie Don Antoni das mit Ihrer Komödie", ermunterte ihn Sancho.
"Eigentlich ist es eine Tragödie", nuancierte Cervantes.
"Und worin besteht der Unterschied, wenn der Meister meine grobe Unwissenheit in den feinen Dichtungsgattungen entschuldigt?"
"Die Komödie lehrt uns, dass man das Leben nicht ernst nehmen darf, und die Tragödie lehrt uns, was geschieht, wenn wir dem keine Beachtung schenken, was uns die Komödie lehrt", erläuterte Cervantes.”
1 likes
“Die Liebe ist der einzige Stein, der immer über denselben Menschen stoplert.” 1 likes