Start by marking “Opowieść o kobiecie spod znaku ognistego konia” as Want to Read:
Opowieść o kobiecie spod znaku ognistego konia

Opowieść o kobiecie spod znaku ognistego konia

Jest rok 1902. Z Hiroszimy wyrusza do Ameryki młoda Japonka Sayo. Ma tam rozpocząć nowe życie z Hiroshim, którego pozna po przybyciu na miejsce. Ślub nie mógłby dojść do skutku, gdyby wyszło na jaw, że urodziła się pod znakiem Ognistego Konia.

Małżeństwo Sayo i Hiroshiego szybko okazuje się nieporozumieniem i ich drogi się rozchodzą. Sayo zakochuje się w przyjacielu męża, I
Published 2005 by Muza (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Opowieść o kobiecie spod znaku ognistego konia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Opowieść o kobiecie spod znaku ognistego konia

Barbara
Perhaps I should not review this book because of the unusual amount of time it took me to read it. It certainly was not the author's fault, but caused by my recent circumstances, which made my love of reading difficult and all but impossible.

Nevertheless, considering my aforementioned factors, I can still state that this was not Houston's best book. It certainly did not match Farewell to Manzanar, although the topic was much the same- that of the internment of Japanese Americans during WWll. She
Sheila rood
Mar 06, 2010 Sheila rood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well written and engaging story telling
Nancy
Sep 19, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked: The story was written in two periods of time, but with based around the youth and the old age of the Fire Horse Woman. It creates a whole story of a person, attaching the roots, decisions, and feelings of a youth to the older individual. I also liked the description of the old world Japanese culture, the new world integration of the immigrants, and life and attitudes in the Japanese internment camp duriing WWII.

What I did not like: I do not appreciate visions and dreams. I think t
Martina Takano
Aug 24, 2014 Martina Takano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan
Great story and I love this book. Beautiful narrated weaved fiction, telling the story of a Japanese woman being in love with a Native American. A mysterious union from the beginning. At times to elaborate florid description. Interesting insight of dream telling.

Nevertheless there is an apparent lack of research for the main storyline. Sayo San arrived in 1903 in the US, this would make her 57 years old on her arrival. Fire horse woman are born all 60 years. 1846, 1906 & 1966 according to th
Susan
Note: the glossary at the end of the book was very helpful.

Good: The settings and their history. The settings were primarily in Japan, Northern California, and Manzanar (a WWII internment camp, located in California).

Good: The structure of the novel, which successfully moved back and forth between the years around 1900 and the war years of the early 1940s.

Good: The characters and the multigenerational family saga.

Would have benefited from more work: The plotting, the writing, and the editing.
Linda
Jan 10, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Houston's first novel. It's about Japanese "picture brides" and Japanese internment during World War II. Tells of hardships of these young women coming to America, both with husbands they've never met and the difficulties in the internment camps.It would be considered by most a "women's" book, but my husband thoroughly enjoyed it. If you're a history buff, so will you. Well written. Houston is an excellent storyteller.
Jan 29, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, wwii
Why haven't more people read this? It's really good. I actually like it better than Houston's much more famous "Farewell to Manzanar." There's romance, friendship, family relations, political and social commentary (in a non-obnoxious way) and history. It occasionally gets a bit cheesy with the spirits/fate stuff, but it's easy to read and hard to put down. I'd definitely recommend it.
Shirley
Apr 14, 2008 Shirley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shirley by: Lori Kobayashi
Interesting book that never really explains what the Fire Horse Woman is about. It tells a life story - switching venues between her early life and her life in an interment camp during WWII. It kept my attention and made me more curious about the interment camps. This is the first book I've read set in one.
Nicole
Apr 09, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a much better book than I thought it would be. The story being seperated the way it did, intertwing past and present without being in chronological order, added to the book, instead of taking away from it. The main characters were all likeable, and you were rooting for them the whole time. Overall, a pretty great book.
Cymiki
enjoyed this tale of sayo, the fire horse woman, and her family. told in present tense when sayo is younger alternating with the older sayo who is interned. author brings in lots of accurately rendered history of the japanese during internment and i always personally enjoy the cultural references.
Shinay
May 02, 2016 Shinay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding story telling to put it mildly. You care about the characters, you feel the heat from the desert, the historical time period is spot on. Is a wonderful book and am sorry I finished it and the author doesn't have another book for me.
Wonderful exciting, can't put it down story.
Sue Getman
Feb 02, 2016 Sue Getman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical Fiction.
WW II detention camp for Japanese living in California. Well done. I liked this author's writing better than Amy Tan's
Debbie
Sep 27, 2010 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting topic and great writing. I learned so much about a period of time in our history that I knew very little about.
Joyceling
Three generations of interesting ladies in a story that is both real and fantasy. I would have been happy with more even though it reached a logical place for the end.
Krista Smith
Krista Smith rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Ethlinn
Ethlinn rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2008
Lauri Saplad
Lauri Saplad rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2009
Felicia Albrecht
Felicia Albrecht rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Charissa
Charissa rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2010
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2008
Janelle Lundin
Janelle Lundin rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2014
Daniela
Daniela rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2008
Georgia
Georgia rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2008
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2017
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2008
Gail
Gail rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Braxton Gauntt
Braxton Gauntt rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Famous Suicides of the Japanese Empire
  • A Cab Called Reliable
  • Clay Walls
  • The Floating World
  • Charlie Chan Is Dead 2: At Home in the World (An Anthology of Contemporary Asian American Fiction-- Revised and Updated)
  • Frauen: German Women Recall the Third Reich