Outsystem

Outsystem

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Someone is out to stop the "GSS Intrepid," an interstellar colony ship, from being completed on schedule and beginning its journey to 82 Eridani. When anti-colonial activist groups are suspected, Major Tanis Richards, an officer in the field of military intelligence and counterinsurgency, is brought onboard to hunt them down.

A public disgrace Tanis suffered at the hands of...more
Paperback, 1st, 350 pages
Published July 9th 2012 by Createspace (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Outsystem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outsystem

Candace (Lovey Dovey Books)
Michael Cooper's Outsystem is exactly what one would expect of a science-fiction novel, and more! The militaristic theme and subtle romance gives Outsystem enough to appeal to a wide variety of readers.

Tanis Richards is a strong and unmovable character whose tough attitude gives this story the right kind of edge. Not only is she intelligent, but she's on top of her game and the best in the field of security. The fact that Tanis is a woman with a high rank and respectable position speaks volumes...more
John
First disclaimer, I work with the author and it's unlikely that the book would have to my attention without that connection as I tend not to reach much "military" Science Fiction.

With that disclaimer out of the way I'll add, that would have been a real shame. I tend to avoid military SF because it all too often suffers from Tom Clancy-itis, that is a love of the technology and associated buzzwords at the expense of strong plot and good characterization.

Neither of those flaws are present in Outsy...more
Jason
Jan 10, 2013 Jason rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Military sci fi fans, Mass Effect fans, Homeworld fans
Recommended to Jason by: Goodreads
I saw an advertisement for "Outsystem" on Goodreads. It sounded like the type of novel I would really enjoy, so I was eager to dig into it.

SUMMARY
In the year 4123, humanity is still constrained by the speed of light. The solar system has been thoroughly colonized, as have planets at nearby stars by means of slower-than-light colony ships.

The Intrepid is a massive colony ship bound for an ideal world, if it can be completed and launched before corporate and political enemies destroy it. Major Tan...more
Lily
For this and more reviews, visit us at Bookluvrs Haven

Strong. Cold. Militant. Soldier. Woman.

Meet Major Tanis Richards.

She kicks some serious ass.

She is also the reason why I picked up this novel to review. I am not a science fiction fan, normally. I am quite choosy with that genre and tend to navigate more towards fantasy. Mainly because science fiction writers have a much greater imagination than I could ever hope to have of my own. In fact, science fiction writers blow me away. I wish I cou...more
Jill Cooper
I must first state that I do not usually read SciFi novels because I find the technical facts and figures to be too much for me. It isn't just that it's boring, it's that I don't understand it.

When I first started OutSystem I was afraid it would be filled with stuff that would make my brain fry and I am happy to say, that there is the perfect balance in this novel with the technical and the characterization and suspense. There is just enough technical jargon necessary for the story to work and I...more
Jason
Jul 22, 2012 Jason rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Louis Sivo
Recommended to Jason by: Michael Cooper
The best sci-fi read I've picked up in a long time. I'm a fan of military fiction and sci-fi and "Outsystem" was the perfect blend of the two genres for me. The protagonist is easily likable from the beginning and the growth of both her and the story keep you wanting to hang on to see what's coming next.

I immediately found a liking between the main character and her built in artificial intelligence, the play between the two of them was fun to read and well written, but that can be said for all t...more
G33z3r
A military sci-fi featuring a kick-as female major who acts as security officer for a interstellar colonization ship under construction around Mars. Apparently somebody wants to see to it the ship doesn't make the trip. There's no lack of combat, most of it in the corridors of orbital rings.

The book isn't bad and the story moves right along, a bit too fast to give the characters any depth. The characters never seemed real to me beyond their archetypes, each fitting into a familiar role. The he...more
Jill
First-reads book. The premise was good- a military intelligence and counterinsurgency major and a space vessel destined for a planet to colonize. There were some grammatical errors that interrupted the flow of the book for me. There were appendixes that helped with terms, places and names. What would have been more helpful for me is a list of the acronyms found throughout the story. Some of the acronyms remained a mystery until a couple pages later because they weren't in an appendix. The book w...more
Blase Ciabaton
In my search to fill the Space Opera void as I await the release of Randolph Lalonde's Broadcast 7, the next in the Spinward Fringe series, I came across Outsystem by Michael Cooper.

Outsystem is Cooper's first novel, and as a result, I was skeptical about its potential and almost passed on reading it-boy am I glad that I didn't skip over this entertaining gem!

To begin with, the Science Fiction technology envisioned in this book is some of the best that I've experienced. Outsystem contains the...more
I enjoyed the characters and the story but am frustrated that the book ends in a cliff hanger and for the life of me I can't find the next book. Supposedly it came out in 2012 but I cannot find it on Amazon. I would have liked to have continued the story.
Simon Lindsay
First time author Michael Cooper delivers all you could want in this sci-fi read.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Patrick Holzman
Patrick Holzman marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Progandy
Progandy marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Rei Tan
Rei Tan marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
the prince
the prince marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Hungry Monster
Hungry Monster marked it as to-read
May 21, 2013
Jimmy
Jimmy marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Guesswhat
Guesswhat marked it as to-read
May 05, 2013
Jason B.
Jason B. marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
Matt Davis
Matt Davis marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Michael Cooper has been writing since he finished Return of the King and had to have more. Lately he has turned toward science fiction and is working on a series of books which surround a colony ship leaving the Sol system for 82 Eridani.

When he's not writing novels or software he can be found spending time with his wife and daughter, or in his wood shop building furniture.
More about Michael Cooper...