Start by marking “Outsystem (The Intrepid Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
Outsystem (The Intrepid Saga #1)

Outsystem (The Intrepid Saga #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  95 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Someone is out to stop the "GSS Intrepid," an interstellar colony ship, from being completed on schedule and beginning its journey to 82 Eridani. When anti-colonial activist groups are suspected, Major Tanis Richards, an officer in the field of military intelligence and counterinsurgency, is brought onboard to hunt them down.

A public disgrace Tanis suffered at the hands of
Paperback, 1st, 350 pages
Published July 9th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Outsystem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outsystem

Lovey Dovey Books
Michael Cooper's Outsystem is exactly what one would expect of a science-fiction novel, and more! The militaristic theme and subtle romance gives Outsystem enough to appeal to a wide variety of readers.

Tanis Richards is a strong and unmovable character whose tough attitude gives this story the right kind of edge. Not only is she intelligent, but she's on top of her game and the best in the field of security. The fact that Tanis is a woman with a high rank and respectable position speaks volumes
Jill Cooper
Jul 03, 2012 Jill Cooper rated it it was amazing
I must first state that I do not usually read SciFi novels because I find the technical facts and figures to be too much for me. It isn't just that it's boring, it's that I don't understand it.

When I first started OutSystem I was afraid it would be filled with stuff that would make my brain fry and I am happy to say, that there is the perfect balance in this novel with the technical and the characterization and suspense. There is just enough technical jargon necessary for the story to work and I
John
Jul 10, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
First disclaimer, I work with the author and it's unlikely that the book would have to my attention without that connection as I tend not to reach much "military" Science Fiction.

With that disclaimer out of the way I'll add, that would have been a real shame. I tend to avoid military SF because it all too often suffers from Tom Clancy-itis, that is a love of the technology and associated buzzwords at the expense of strong plot and good characterization.

Neither of those flaws are present in Outsy
Jason
Jan 10, 2013 Jason rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Military sci fi fans, Mass Effect fans, Homeworld fans
Recommended to Jason by: Goodreads
I saw an advertisement for "Outsystem" on Goodreads. It sounded like the type of novel I would really enjoy, so I was eager to dig into it.

SUMMARY
In the year 4123, humanity is still constrained by the speed of light. The solar system has been thoroughly colonized, as have planets at nearby stars by means of slower-than-light colony ships.

The Intrepid is a massive colony ship bound for an ideal world, if it can be completed and launched before corporate and political enemies destroy it. Major Tan
Lily
Feb 02, 2013 Lily rated it liked it
For this and more reviews, visit us at Bookluvrs Haven

Strong. Cold. Militant. Soldier. Woman.

Meet Major Tanis Richards.

She kicks some serious ass.

She is also the reason why I picked up this novel to review. I am not a science fiction fan, normally. I am quite choosy with that genre and tend to navigate more towards fantasy. Mainly because science fiction writers have a much greater imagination than I could ever hope to have of my own. In fact, science fiction writers blow me away. I wish I cou
Jason
Jul 22, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Louis Sivo
Recommended to Jason by: Michael Cooper
The best sci-fi read I've picked up in a long time. I'm a fan of military fiction and sci-fi and "Outsystem" was the perfect blend of the two genres for me. The protagonist is easily likable from the beginning and the growth of both her and the story keep you wanting to hang on to see what's coming next.

I immediately found a liking between the main character and her built in artificial intelligence, the play between the two of them was fun to read and well written, but that can be said for all t
G33z3r
A military sci-fi featuring a kick-as female major who acts as security officer for a interstellar colonization ship under construction around Mars. Apparently somebody wants to see to it the ship doesn't make the trip. There's no lack of combat, most of it in the corridors of orbital rings.

The book isn't bad and the story moves right along, a bit too fast to give the characters any depth. The characters never seemed real to me beyond their archetypes, each fitting into a familiar role. The he
Katrina Roets
Feb 05, 2015 Katrina Roets rated it really liked it
Have you ever had a book just sneak up on you? That was Outsystem for me. When I first started reading it, I was a bit like oh, this is okay... Then, I realized that I kept coming back to it and when I hit the end of the book, I groaned out loud that it was a cliffhanger. Just when I thought it was wrapping up nicely, too. I found the futuristic and body modification pieces to be fascinating. I honestly rarely think about where we're going. I'm so busy trying to make sure that day to day life is ...more
Blase Ciabaton
Apr 10, 2016 Blase Ciabaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, new
In my search to fill the Space Opera void as I await the release of Randolph Lalonde's Broadcast 7, the next in the Spinward Fringe series, I came across Outsystem by Michael Cooper.

Outsystem is Cooper's first novel, and as a result, I was skeptical about its potential and almost passed on reading it-boy am I glad that I didn't skip over this entertaining gem! There were really so many things that I enjoyed about this book that it's difficult to determine where to start.

To begin with, the Scienc
Niki
Feb 01, 2015 Niki rated it it was amazing
I Loved Tania, such a strong and smart character, She is good at what she does, but people don't appreciate her. The book has a lot of action and mystery, the Author has a way of writing that let you see the world he created and you can place yourself in the characters shoes. It even has some humor! Every human also has some kind of technology in them, it makes it all way cool! My Sci Fi side is very pleased!!!

I received a free copy of this book for a honest review.
Dan
Apr 02, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rock'n 25th century 007

Intrigue and mystery, space battles, treachery, and a nice story make this a fun read. The writing didn't distract, no overlong science technobable, and I really liked the characters. Going for the second book now...
Hildegart
Jul 31, 2012 Hildegart rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
First-reads book. The premise was good- a military intelligence and counterinsurgency major and a space vessel destined for a planet to colonize. There were some grammatical errors that interrupted the flow of the book for me. There were appendixes that helped with terms, places and names. What would have been more helpful for me is a list of the acronyms found throughout the story. Some of the acronyms remained a mystery until a couple pages later because they weren't in an appendix. The book w ...more
Tamahome
May 17, 2015 Tamahome marked it as to-read
Ad on Facebook said he was the next Peter F. Hamilton. Hmmm.
May 05, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the characters and the story but am frustrated that the book ends in a cliff hanger and for the life of me I can't find the next book. Supposedly it came out in 2012 but I cannot find it on Amazon. I would have liked to have continued the story.
Alastar
Oct 07, 2015 Alastar rated it really liked it
It was a very interesting story, it seemed that at some points the odds where a little overwhelming. And one can not miss that the book was gonna have a sequel to it with that ending.
Simon Lindsay
Sep 07, 2012 Simon Lindsay rated it it was amazing
First time author Michael Cooper delivers all you could want in this sci-fi read.
K Ada
K Ada is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2016
Riley
Riley is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2016
Duane
Duane rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
David Wilson
David Wilson marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Danny White
Danny White rated it liked it
Michael Katz
Michael Katz rated it it was amazing
James G
James G marked it as to-read
Raymond E. Ridgley
Raymond E. Ridgley rated it really liked it
JIMMIE O'NEAL
JIMMIE O'NEAL is currently reading it
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Anna
Anna added it
Craton
Craton marked it as to-read
Chandra  Fry
Chandra Fry marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
  • Demon Royale (The Dream Slayer, #2)
  • Energized
  • Jazz in Love
  • The Prism of Ashlai (The Gailean Quartet #1)
  • Commencement (Hellsbane, #0.5)
  • Dead Harvest: Discreet Demolitions
  • Witch Way to Turn
  • Hedgeland
  • The Daughter Star
  • Under A Duke's Hand (Properly Spanked #4)
  • Vale of Stars
  • Come Back to Texas (Twelve Beats in a Bar, #1)
  • Transformers: Exiles
  • Of Dreams and Shadow (Forget Me Not #1)
  • Sapphire (Facets of Passion #1)
  • Caught for Christmas (Stripped, #3.5)
  • Ruby's Fire
  • The Mumbo Jumbo Circus (Mumbo Jumbo Circus, #1)
Michael Cooper has been writing since he finished Return of the King and had to have more. Lately he has turned toward science fiction and is working on a series of books which surround a colony ship leaving the Sol system for 82 Eridani.

When he's not writing novels or software he can be found spending time with his wife and daughter, or in his wood shop building furniture.
More about Michael Cooper...

The Intrepid Saga (3 books)
  • A Path in the Darkness (The Intrepid Saga #2)
  • Building Victoria (The Intrepid Saga #3)