Start by marking “Outsystem (The Intrepid Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
Outsystem (The Intrepid Saga #1)

Outsystem (The Intrepid Saga #1)

Major Richards needs to get out of the Sol System

Demoted by the military and hung out to dry, the media labels her the Butcher of Toro. Despite her soiled record, Tanis still one of the best military counter-insurgency officers in the Terran Space Force.

And they need her to find the terrorists responsible for trying to destroy the GSS Intrepid, a massive interstellar col
Paperback, 1st, 350 pages
Published July 9th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Outsystem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outsystem

Lovey Dovey Books
Michael Cooper's Outsystem is exactly what one would expect of a science-fiction novel, and more! The militaristic theme and subtle romance gives Outsystem enough to appeal to a wide variety of readers.

Tanis Richards is a strong and unmovable character whose tough attitude gives this story the right kind of edge. Not only is she intelligent, but she's on top of her game and the best in the field of security. The fact that Tanis is a woman with a high rank and respectable position speaks volumes
Lily
Feb 02, 2013 Lily rated it liked it
For this and more reviews, visit us at Bookluvrs Haven

Strong. Cold. Militant. Soldier. Woman.

Meet Major Tanis Richards.

She kicks some serious ass.

She is also the reason why I picked up this novel to review. I am not a science fiction fan, normally. I am quite choosy with that genre and tend to navigate more towards fantasy. Mainly because science fiction writers have a much greater imagination than I could ever hope to have of my own. In fact, science fiction writers blow me away. I wish I cou
Jill Cooper
Jul 03, 2012 Jill Cooper rated it it was amazing
I must first state that I do not usually read SciFi novels because I find the technical facts and figures to be too much for me. It isn't just that it's boring, it's that I don't understand it.

When I first started OutSystem I was afraid it would be filled with stuff that would make my brain fry and I am happy to say, that there is the perfect balance in this novel with the technical and the characterization and suspense. There is just enough technical jargon necessary for the story to work and I
Jason
Jan 10, 2013 Jason rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Military sci fi fans, Mass Effect fans, Homeworld fans
Recommended to Jason by: Goodreads
I saw an advertisement for "Outsystem" on Goodreads. It sounded like the type of novel I would really enjoy, so I was eager to dig into it.

SUMMARY
In the year 4123, humanity is still constrained by the speed of light. The solar system has been thoroughly colonized, as have planets at nearby stars by means of slower-than-light colony ships.

The Intrepid is a massive colony ship bound for an ideal world, if it can be completed and launched before corporate and political enemies destroy it. Major Tan
Derek
Sep 11, 2016 Derek rated it liked it
Pretty good space opera. A few amazingly unbelievable scenes, but that's space opera for you. In fact, that's opera... [For instance, the scene where the protagonist convinces an assassin to give up her advantage so that they could have a fair fight...]

Despite crediting both an editor and at least one beta reader, an awful lot of stuff that shouldn't have got through the editing process did. Really, spell checkers do work: check every word that the spell checker thinks is wrong, and if it belon
John
Jul 10, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
First disclaimer, I work with the author and it's unlikely that the book would have to my attention without that connection as I tend not to reach much "military" Science Fiction.

With that disclaimer out of the way I'll add, that would have been a real shame. I tend to avoid military SF because it all too often suffers from Tom Clancy-itis, that is a love of the technology and associated buzzwords at the expense of strong plot and good characterization.

Neither of those flaws are present in Outsy
Jason
Jul 22, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Louis Sivo
Recommended to Jason by: Michael Cooper
The best sci-fi read I've picked up in a long time. I'm a fan of military fiction and sci-fi and "Outsystem" was the perfect blend of the two genres for me. The protagonist is easily likable from the beginning and the growth of both her and the story keep you wanting to hang on to see what's coming next.

I immediately found a liking between the main character and her built in artificial intelligence, the play between the two of them was fun to read and well written, but that can be said for all t
G33z3r
A military sci-fi featuring a kick-ass female major who acts as security officer for a interstellar colonization ship under construction around Mars. Apparently somebody wants to see to it the ship doesn't make the trip. There's no lack of combat, most of it in the corridors of orbital rings.

The book isn't bad and the story moves right along, a bit too fast to give the characters any depth. The characters never seemed real to me beyond their archetypes, each fitting into a familiar role. The h
Hildegart
Jul 31, 2012 Hildegart rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
First-reads book. The premise was good- a military intelligence and counterinsurgency major and a space vessel destined for a planet to colonize. There were some grammatical errors that interrupted the flow of the book for me. There were appendixes that helped with terms, places and names. What would have been more helpful for me is a list of the acronyms found throughout the story. Some of the acronyms remained a mystery until a couple pages later because they weren't in an appendix. The book w ...more
Linda
Nov 20, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing
I freely chose to review this ARC and am so glad I did as it's one terrific story! Outsystem is about seventy-two year old Major Tanis Richards who was demoted for her part in an unfortunate battle. Labeled the Butcher of Toro, she had hope to regain her rank and finally get off of Sol where her and her AI could finally enjoy their down time and civilian life. The year is the 42nd century and Mars 1 is inhabited with hundreds of beings to populate the planet. Tanis is temporally assigned to head ...more
Rick Johnson
Jan 05, 2017 Rick Johnson rated it really liked it
The book is the first in what looks to be a classic space-opera series. The protagonist is multi-dimensional and engaging, but some of the scenes are a touch stilted and difficult to visualize. I suspect this will improve with future books as the other characters become better developed and the plotline gains a few twists and turns. The book was enjoyable enough that I grabbed the second in the series as soon as I finished this one.
Cheryl Medley
Dec 10, 2016 Cheryl Medley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read

Ok., this is my book by M. D. Cooper, I doubt it will be my last. I had a hard time putting it down. I like the heroine, have no problems with her being a strategic genius... okay, if you have a military background there may be things that bother you. I, on the other hand am not military, so I found it to be an action packed hard to put down adventure. I am totally looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Jean-luc
Nov 06, 2016 Jean-luc rated it liked it
The story is somewhat original but the writing needs a lot of editing - dialog, description. There is some potential and I am currently reading the second part but it will need to improve to keep my interest going.
Deb Zander
Oct 22, 2016 Deb Zander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

I not a great lover of reading battles/fights but the plot kept interested enough to keep going right to the end. Like the characters and have already downloaded the next in the series.
Heather Henkel
Dec 21, 2016 Heather Henkel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story

I think this is a really good space adventure story. I like the characters and the action that keeps building.
Bill
Dec 23, 2016 Bill rated it really liked it
A very well-done space opera with fun/interesting characters and enough action to keep things moving.
Bob
Dec 19, 2016 Bob rated it liked it
Starting off I wasn't sure I liked it. Almost put it down. I must have gotten in to the groove because I eventually enjoyed, and finished it.
Jim Schellhaas
Jan 10, 2017 Jim Schellhaas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was a fast paced book with lots of plot twists
I highly enjoyed reading it and can't wait to read the next installment.
Michelle Olms
Nov 07, 2016 Michelle Olms rated it it was amazing
Great book
Mary B. Grove
Oct 17, 2016 Mary B. Grove rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
adrenaline rush

well-written story with nonstop action, interesting female MC, and intriguing setup. It does end on a cliffhanger, though book 2 picks up the story right where book 1 ends. The author could have avoided the cliffhanger by ending the book a bit earlier. I think that would have been helpful, actually, as the constant danger/violence was rather exhausting as there were almost no breather scenes. A fun read, at any rate, and I'm diving right into book 2.
Blase Ciabaton
Apr 10, 2016 Blase Ciabaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, new
In my search to fill the Space Opera void as I await the release of Randolph Lalonde's Broadcast 7, the next in the Spinward Fringe series, I came across Outsystem by Michael Cooper.

Outsystem is Cooper's first novel, and as a result, I was skeptical about its potential and almost passed on reading it-boy am I glad that I didn't skip over this entertaining gem! There were really so many things that I enjoyed about this book that it's difficult to determine where to start.

To begin with, the Scienc
K.C. Sivils
Jan 15, 2017 K.C. Sivils rated it liked it
Good space opera.

I just wish some of the scenes were written in a manner so things were a little more clear. The plot was strong, lots of twists and action.

I will read the second book in the series before I make a final decision about reading all 14.
Thomas
Jan 11, 2017 Thomas rated it liked it
3.49 out of five. Series is a good read but nothing special(Goodreads please go to a 10 point ratings system). Typical "magical technology appears just it time to save the day. Interesting take on nano tech and AI.
Bruce
Jan 07, 2017 Bruce rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this one.
Jay
Oct 02, 2016 Jay rated it it was ok
meh. no character development, and the main character seemed to just get new abilities whenever it was convenient. world building consisted of telling you about how large some new space habitat was. (taking a look at the masses of the solid bodies in our solar system, i have a suspicion that the author went a bit overboard with providing the masses of things, and used up more metal in the construction of the Callisto habitat than is actually available in the solar system.)
Don Edwards jr.
Nov 07, 2016 Don Edwards jr. rated it it was amazing
This is a great book and start to the series. Not stop action and intrigue. The characters are great and even the AI's have souls and feel real. I highly recommend this book!
Ronald Gibbs
Sep 23, 2016 Ronald Gibbs rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could you get Amazon to publish a finished copy?

The story might be good. The characters could be good. I don't know because the kindle file available is on the middle of editing. Paragraphs in white highlight and nothing flows for more than 4 or 5 paragraphs before disconnect. How about finishing before you publish?if this is Amazons fault you need to do something about it.
Joseph Millo
Dec 14, 2016 Joseph Millo rated it it was ok
There's a plot, of sorts, but the storyline is simply a gun fight, followed by another gun fight, followed by another gun fight, ad nauseam. Facing overwhelming odds from professional mercenaries, the marines win each fight. Several hundred mercenaries killed but just one marine dies. The good guys always win because they are so bad ass. After a while it just got too boring to continue.
James
Dec 11, 2016 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could not not give this book more than 3 stars. there were some things in the story I had a hard time believing. If you are going to write about U.S.Marines you need to do your homework. At least get the ranks right, Marines always call higher ranking Marines by there rank. You would call a Staff Sergent Staff or sarge, just does not happen. If you every called a Sergent or higher ranking NCO they would tear you a new one. So only 3 stars.
Nancy
Oct 11, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This first book in the Intrepid Saga series finds Major Tanis Richards and her implanted AI named Angela in charge of security for the Intrepid, an interstellar colony ship bound out of system. But terrorists don’t want this ship to leave Sol space and will do everything in their power to stop it. Tanis has her hands full in battling saboteurs as the ship undergoes its final stages of preparation. Mercenaries, assassins, and men in suits block her every attempt to allow safe passage for this shi ...more
  • Demon Royale (The Dream Slayer, #2)
  • Energized
  • Jazz in Love
  • The Prism of Ashlai (The Gailean Quartet #1)
  • Commencement (Hellsbane, #0.5)
  • Dead Harvest: Discreet Demolitions
  • Witch Way to Turn
  • Hedgeland
  • The Daughter Star
  • Under A Duke's Hand (Properly Spanked #4)
  • Vale of Stars
  • Come Back to Texas (Twelve Beats in a Bar, #1)
  • Transformers: Exiles
  • Of Dreams and Shadow (Forget Me Not #1)
  • Sapphire (Facets of Passion #1)
  • Caught for Christmas (Stripped, #3.5)
  • Ruby's Fire
  • The Mumbo Jumbo Circus (Mumbo Jumbo Circus, #1)
Michael Cooper has been writing since he finished Return of the King and had to have more. Lately he has turned toward science fiction and is working on a series of books which surround a colony ship leaving the Sol system for 82 Eridani.

When he's not writing novels or software he can be found spending time with his wife and daughter, or in his wood shop building furniture.
More about M.D. Cooper...

The Intrepid Saga (3 books)
  • A Path in the Darkness (The Intrepid Saga #2)
  • Building Victoria (The Intrepid Saga #3)