Marked Man (Victor Carl, #6)

Marked Man (Victor Carl #6)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  32 reviews
"It must have been a hell of a night, if only I could remember it."

All Victor Carl knows is that he's just woken up with his suit in tatters, and a stinging pain in his chest thanks to a new tattoo he doesn't remember getting: a heart inscribed with the name Chantal Adair.

Is Chantal Adair the love of Victor's life or a terrible drunken mistake? Victor intends to find out,...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published May 30th 2006 by HarperAudio (first published May 23rd 2006)

Christy
Philadelphia Attorney Victor Carl wakes up one morning in the vestibule of his apartment building, his suit disheveled, socks missing, and the name Chantal Adair inscribed on his chest. Victor can’t remember what happened the prior night and is on a quest to find out, along with who Chantal Adair is. But his efforts are waylaid by a stubborn Greek woman on her deathbed, demanding he bring her son Charlie Kalakos home in return for a favor Victor’s father owes her. Charlie is wanted by the Distri...more
Hobart
I picked this one up on the recommendation of a reader. Normally, I don't like to step into a series 6 books in, but every now and then I throw caution to the wind.

So Victor Carl is a criminal lawyer of some repute, but most of it not that positive, he has some serious relationship issues, a father in poor health, and an odd taste in clients. He's got an investigator (whose name escapes me, and I've already returned the book) who seems awfully good at his job, has a strange speech pattern, and d...more
Nick Brett
Another in the author's Victor Carl series. Here we find lawyer Victor waking up after a rough night out with a tattoo on his chest with a girl's name on it, trouble is he has no idea who she is or how it got there.....

Victor is a bit of a mess, he wants to be a `player' but has not got a nasty enough streak to do it, so he lurches along wanting to make the jump to the big time, but some deep rooted morals keep him from the edge. In Marked Man, Victor is trying to re-unite a wanted man with his...more
Darcia Helle
When I purchased this book, I didn't realize it was part of an ongoing series. I might have better understood Victor and his relationship with his partner if I'd read previous books, though it didn't matter much with this story.

On the positive side, the plot holds an intriguing mystery. Victor is a fun character who approaches life with dark humor, and doesn't always uphold the law as he should.

On the negative side, for me, this book had too much dead space within the 499 pages. It could easily...more
Joyce Lagow
Sixth in the Victor Carl, Philadelphia criminal defense lawyer, series.

Not everyone has the ability to wake up in the morning after an admittedly drunken night out and find himself tattooed over his left breast with a heart and the name of a woman he’s never met. This might strain the credulity of some, but then they’ve never met Carl.
Still, the plot isn’t really thick enough to quite carry this off, and while the book is good, is is not as good as the five others in the series. True to form, L...more
Roxann
This is the first ‘Victor Carl’ book I have read. I did not know it was a series when I picked up this used book.
That being said, this wasn’t the best book I have ever read, but it wasn’t the worst. Victor is a lawyer trying to slowly move his way through each day. He somehow finds his way to solving a robbery, disappearance and murder. He seems a likable character, but some of the others in this book do not seem realistic.
The story begins with Victor waking up hung-over with a tattoo over his...more
Mary
This surprised me. It's goofy and over played but somehow I enjoyed reading it. I liked Victor despite or perhaps because of all his faults. And I liked how I didn't know where the story was going and how Victor changes over the course of his attempt to find a missing girl.
Beverly
Sixth in series. Victor wakes from a stuor to find a strange woman's name tattooed on his chest. His search for the woman intersects with a client from his father's past. The search leads from the Jersey shore to Hollywood and back, and entails the disapperance of a child. Beth Derringer leaves the practice, leaving Victor as a sole practitioner. He ends the novel with a conundrum: does he accept a large check shadily obtained?
Richard Miller
a good read, but I knew who the hired killer was early in the book.
Shonna Froebel
Sensational, twists and turns.
Jennifer Jowsey
Another great Victor Carl novel. I love him as a character, and once again he was torn between being who he thinks he is and trying to be who he wants to be. I thought this book overall was sad though, with all the talk of being stuck in a loser's life and people's inability to change.
Adrian Phoenix
Sep 28, 2011 Adrian Phoenix rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery, thriller readers
Shelves: mystery, suspense
This is the first I've read in this series and I'm pleased to say that, although this is book 6, I didn't feel at all lost. I enjoyed the mystery, even if the characters haven't really grabbed me. I liked it enough, however, that I'm willing to go back and start with book 1.
Massimo Foglio
Un ottimo legal thriller, scritto in maniera coinvolgente usando la prima persona e con una tecnica narrativa che ti catapulta all'interno della storia quasi come ne fossi il protagonista.
Ben congegnata anche la trama, che non si lascia facilmente scoprire fino alla fine.
Lorin Lee Cary
This is a cleverly plotted and well-written novel that begins with a bang, an attorney who awakes disheveled and with a tattooed name across his chest. His quest takes him from art robbery to murder and mystery. A good read.
Pbwritr
An okay book. Got me distracted (during chemo). A heist long ago has neighborhood guys on the run--they were never caught--but the real secret is the girl that one of them killed. A lot of convoluted connections.
John
Another winner from my man William Lashner. This guy is the best law/crime/thriller writer I know. Can't wait to read another, too bad there are only two more of his I haven't read yet. To be savored...
Celia Barry
This book was a blast to read! It was a great ride, lots of witty repartee - a la Robert Parker, funny characters, flawed lawyer struggling to keep it together...LOVED IT! A mystery to read by the pool.
Burt
I enjoyed the story and Victor Carl is an unusual type of hero. You sort of like him but not because he is brave or macho but probably because he is smart.
Rebekkila
Dec 27, 2011 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Richard Weber
I kept reading and enjoyed the story. It is the style of telling, rather than the plot itself, that I enjoy in this author.
It's a good book. It's kind of like a Grisham novel. Attorney and his cases and a case that he is invovled in personally.
Hapzydeco
Victor Carl was a wise-cracking, street-wise, well-connected lawyer. Lasher turn his story into a most enjoyable read.
Craig Leimkuehler
It was Ok. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick but only marginal. It didn't quite deliiver the goods.
Michelle
Fast-paced lawyer, mystery...it gave me an escape from the "good" literature I'm trying to read!
Allen
Lashner can usually be relied on to present a good read. this one is no exception.

Lance Russell
The best of the Victor Carl series. Very very well written with lots of twists and turns.
Sherry
I enjoyed this book. It was a mystery with some humor.
Susan
Narrated by Richard Rohan
Ruth's
Lost interest, didn't finish.
  • The Disappearance (Luke Garrison, #1)
  • Fury (Frank Corso, #1)
  • Close Case (Samantha Kincaid #3)
  • Land of the Blind (Caroline Mabry, #2)
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • Eye Of The Beholder
  • Good News, Bad News
  • Code 61
  • Unlucky in Law
  • The Bombmaker
  • Special Circumstances (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, Book 1)
  • A Kiss Gone Bad (Whit Mosley, #1)
  • House of Stairs, the
  • Kat's Cradle (Kat Colorado, #3)
  • First Daughter (Jack McClure, #1)
  • The Frumious Bandersnatch (87th Precinct #53)
  • The First Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #1)
  • The Death Artist (Kate McKinnon, #1)
William Lashner, a former Philadelphia lawyer, is a graduate of New York University Law School and the University of Iowa Writers' Workshop. He has served as trial attorney in the Criminal Division of the United States Justice Department. He lives with his family outside of Philadelphia.

Under the pseudonym Tyler Knox he wrote the noir novel, Kockroach.

Series:
* Victor Carl Mystery
More about William Lashner...
The Barkeep Hostile Witness (Victor Carl, #1) Fatal Flaw (Victor Carl, #3) Accounting, The A Killer's Kiss (Victor Carl, #7)

“There I sat, in the wreckage of my apartment, in the wreckage of my life – no love, no prospects, a gnawing sense of existential futility along with the certainty that a better life was being lived by everyone else” 2 likes
“We were failures, all of us. We told him we had our reasons for the way things had turned out, but he didn't want to hear it. Told us that nothing consumed a man's soul more than the easy excuse.” 1 likes