Start by marking “The Killer” as Want to Read:
The Killer

The Killer (The Killer #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  120 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
To survive the violent streets of Belfast in the 1970s, young Darren McCann learns to fight. The IRA are interested in recruiting him but, though he is a Catholic, he refuses to take sides until a family tragedy allies him with "the cause".

His specialist training turns him into an efficient sniper and covert operative. One brutal interrogation earns Darren the reputation a
Paperback, 1, 174 pages
Published May 31st 2012 by yellowbay.co.uk

To ask other readers questions about The Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Killer

Chloe Thurlow
Jun 29, 2012 Chloe Thurlow rated it it was amazing
This book totally ruined my day. I started it in bed at about midnight, couldn't put the damn thing down, finished at 4.30 and couldn't get to sleep wondering what's going to happen to sweet little killer Darren McCann next. Real page turner and a heart grabbing twist at the end.
Kathi
Aug 05, 2012 Kathi rated it really liked it
Irish/English troubles in Northern Ireland ... interesting read of a man seeking revenge of his mother by joining up with the IRA which he had refused many times. Ending was a bit of a suprise! Good suspense, sometimes predictable.
Eddie
Jul 15, 2012 Eddie rated it really liked it
Easy reading if a little predictable, but good fun for all that; ideal for the train or 'plane.

If you've read any of the books by Danny King (Burglar Diaries, Bankrobber Diaries etc.) this is written in a similar style, albeit rather more violent and brutal, where you feel yourself rooting for the main character and indeed laughing at his interactions and antics with his mates. In this case he is an IRA assassin who has joined the ranks after his mother was brutally killed by loyalist paramilita
Kathleen
Jul 11, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick read that was exciting and authentic.

The "Butcher" is a character full of raw emotion while at the same time this character is a cold blooded killer.

My only complaint stems from the fact the story jumps all over the place and sometimes I found myself having to go back and find out just where I was in the story and what character was in focus at the present time. Minor complaint overall but had it flowed a little better, I would have given it 5
Aug 10, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
I agree that the story is predictable, including the climax/ending but still a good read.
Angie Mangino
Aug 20, 2013 Angie Mangino rated it really liked it
The Killer
By Jack Elgos
2012
Reviewed by Angie Mangino
Rating: 4 stars

The very first chapter set in England in 1985 whets the reader’s appetite to want to know more about Liam O’Neil.

Chapter two then brings readers to the beginning in Northern Ireland in 1978, meeting Darren McCann, caught in the violence in Belfast, but refusing recruitment into the IRA.

“‘Darren, my son, as long as I draw breath, promise me you’ll not get involved in the troubles.’ His mother’s constant words echoed through his m
Jim A
May 15, 2014 Jim A rated it liked it
Quick read set during 'the troubles' in Northern Ireland. Not really full of action, but a lot of pages were filled giving background to the character Darren McCann, "The Butcher of Belfast".

As this is the first of what is as of now a three part series, it does end with a cliff hanger of sorts. I will be interested to see where Elgos takes the character, now called Liam O'Neil, as he has been co-opted by British Intelligence to be an assassin.
Jack Elgos
Sep 08, 2013 Jack Elgos rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sept 8 2013. Update.
The Killer III is available from Amazon now

Hi all
The Killer II - The American Connection, is out on Amazon

Hope you enjoy

Jack
Judie
Jun 23, 2013 Judie rated it really liked it
Great read. It was short which more thrillers should be. Couldn't put it down and I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Clive Winter
Apr 08, 2013 Clive Winter rated it it was amazing
Great book couldn't put it down
Alex
Dec 21, 2012 Alex rated it did not like it
It does read like a to-do list as another reader has said. This is unfortunate because the subject matter is quite interesting. But it was on sale at Amazon for 0.99 so I bought it.

The Spanish characters are little more than caricatures. The E.T.A fighters are cartoons of early 20th century Spaniards, compete with hot-tempered red-blooded Mediterranean males. Also, the author keeps using the word 'Español' as the basques refer to the language they speak that is not their native Euskera. This is
Joe
Jul 05, 2012 Joe rated it did not like it
I only got 1/4 of the way through this book before giving up, so this is a limited review. Maybe it gets better...

BUT, What I did read did not grip me. The writing style is very sparse. It reads like a to-do list - like the author wrote out the plot, and then barely bothered to fill in the details except to list every action that needs to be set out to move the plot towards the ending. There is also some weird use of grammar, particularly the use of quotation marks in odd places for no reason.

If
Patrick Canning
Dec 02, 2014 Patrick Canning rated it did not like it
This book is terrible. It is an absolute abomination to writing and literature. It is shallow, undeveloped and written for a 6 year old.
Mỹ Khương
Aug 20, 2013 Mỹ Khương rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Sounds very promising!
Sandeep M
May 16, 2013 Sandeep M rated it liked it
Shelves:
Vladimir
Vladimir rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Kevin Viken
Kevin Viken marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Frances Madsen
Frances Madsen marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Kyle
Kyle rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Tay Smith
Tay Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Jake Goudey
Jake Goudey rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Zack
Zack rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Claire Louise
Claire Louise marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Douglas
Douglas marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
  • Mrs May
  • The Book of Transformations
  • Deadly Trust
  • Life Was Cool Until You Got Popular
  • Cocaine Confidence
  • Game Theory (Katerina Carter Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • Third Willow
  • Unprotected Sax
  • Tiger Paw
  • Carnival of Hope
  • Mrs Jones (Tommy Connell Mystery #1)
  • Rituals (Faye Longchamp, #8)
  • Dark Eyes: Cursed
  • The Fifty Shades of Grey Phenomena
  • Runemaster (The Shardheld Saga, #2)
  • The Experiment
  • Unwanted
  • Sins of the Father (A Lady Marmalade Mystery)

The Killer (3 books)