Ghostwriter

Ghostwriter

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  72 reviews
After being laid off from the newspaper where she worked as a
journalist, and losing her boyfriend in rapid succession, Sara Howell is looking to downsize before her dwindling savings run out. Things are finally starting to look up when she lands a job ghostwriting the biography of a popular politician and rents an isolated island house which turns out to have once been the...more
Paperback, First, 213 pages
Published October 11th 2012 by The Writer's Coffee Shop (first published October 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ghostwriter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghostwriter

Jill

Sara Howell has just lost both her job as a journalist and her boyfriend. Moving to save on expenses, she rents a house on a remote island along the Outer Banks where she hopes to work freelance as a ghostwriter for a politician's biography. Coincidentally the house was owned in the 1920s by Sara's favourite writer, Seth Fortner. His death in 1925 is still a mystery and a secret that his descendents who now own the home, never talk about. When Sara finds a trunk in the attic with letter...more
Karla
3.5 Stars! A haunting read with a unique twist!

This was an intriguing read about two forlorn souls, one in the living world and one in the spirit world. I wasn’t quite sure how the author was going to make a romance work between a ghost and a mortal, but she managed to do just that, and in the process, surprised this reader with the turn of events. The secluded island setting, and the vacant home of a long dead recluse writer, added to the poignant nature of the read. A young woman trying creat...more
Kathie (katmom)
I've read this, in manuscript form...and I LOVE it...

Had the hair on the back of my neck stand up a couple of times. It was great!

I kept thinking: HOW can this WORK?

And this new author, Lissa Bryan, MADE IT WORK.

I love it, totally. Can't wait to get my hands ON the book. This one is going on my BEST BOOKS EVER shelf...and not because I work for the publisher, but because it IS that good.
Sarah Aisling
Sep 15, 2012 Sarah Aisling rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of supernatural romance
Shelves: arc
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of Lissa Bryan’s debut novel, Ghost Writer, from TWCS PH.

Sara Howell is a likable character who taps into a well of inner strength. She finds herself at a point in her life where she’s very much alone and ready for change. Her mother is a demeaning harpy who never has a nice thing to say, and her ex-boyfriend is a controlling, disapproving, jerk who treated her to scathing remarks about every aspect of who she was. More than once throughout this book, I balle...more
Cherie
I am currently giving this novel a 4 out of 5 stars only because I haven't finished it yet. And I am enjoying reading it so much that I get sulky and put-upon when I have to stop. Will record a full review later

UPDATED:

I will begin this review by stating that I have read Lissa Bryan previous to her debut novel, Ghostwriter. Ms. Bryan has her roots in Twilight fan fiction, and while some readers may arch their eyebrows at that admission, I would like to respectfully remind them of the meteoric su...more
Julz
Sep 09, 2012 Julz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: angsty
Heather  book whore & shifter slut extrordinaire
"This was crazy. She could not be attracted to a ghost." That concept is what drew me to this book in the first place.

While this is definitely a Paranormal Romance - she is falling in love with a GHOST for heaven's sake - I usually go for the shifters or vampires so this is new ground for me. This book is character driven more so that most PNRs - there is no retribution or vengeance to be prevented or delivered; there is no hidden enemy to discover or pack challenge to meet and survive. While...more
M.B.
After receiving a few ARCs that I couldn't get into, I stumbled over this little gem. I'd had it on my phone for about a week before I finally opened it up to read. It was one of those "why did I wait?" moments.

Admittedly, a little slow in the very beginning, but once Sara moves onto the island, the story picks up very quickly, without ever feeling rushed, and the reader is drawn into it.

The mixture of the modern day and the 1920s is very good as it sows how much the world has changed and moved...more
Passion For Pages
Review on http://passionforpages.blogspot.ca/20...

Move over vampires and werewolves, I’m in love with a ghost.

I said in my latest post that I’ve been in a reading funk. It doesn’t matter how good the books have been I just haven’t been able to get into them. Almost two weeks ago I received the ARC of Ghostwriter but haven’t had the heart to read it. Today I finally decided to take a peek at it. Now I only have one question. Why did I wait this long?

I read this book cover to cover in just a coupl...more
Denise
Lissa Bryan’s "Ghostwriter" does a great many things. It paints a heartbreaking portrait of an idealistic man corrupted by the horrors of war and scarred by his literary gift. It illustrates the destructive power of greed and the joy-inducing power of selfless living. It employs an engaging plot which culminates in a conclusion which makes me smile whenever I envision it.

But its greatest accomplishment is showcasing a woman’s bold decision to follow her heart in spite of its illogical destinati...more
Sydney Logan
I was honored to have the chance to receive an ARC of Ghostwriter. I am such a fan of Lissa Bryan’s work, and this book is a clear indication as to why.

This story is about a writer named Sara who has been hired to be the ghostwriter for a political biography. Tired of her badgering mother and jerk ex-boyfriend, Sara rents a home on an island. The first chapters of the novel are so descriptively written that you actually feel as if you're right there on the island. Lissa Bryan’s attention to deta...more
Monique
I was fortunate to receive an ARC of Lissa Bryan’s debut novel, Ghostwriter.

So this was the first time I’ve ever read a ghost novel and I can assure you it is a very different and interesting experience, and nothing like anything I have ever read before.

My heart broke a lot for Sara with the living conditions she had to endure and having to be surrounded with two people, her mother and ex boyfriend, who don’t deserve a place in her life.

It was so humorous to read about Sara trying to explain t...more
MyGoodBookshelf
“What is a rational person supposed to do when confronted with the impossible?”

*I received an ARC of this novel through Netgalley.*

This was a beautifully written paranormal romance and I am so glad I had the opportunity to read it. I am literally the biggest wimp when it comes to ghost stories, but I couldn’t resist the premise for this one- it sounded like a brilliant read.

Journalist Sara Howell has just taken the leap to becoming a ghostwriter for a prominent political figure. Working on the...more
Funmbi
Alspitz
Paranormal romance is not my usual genre but the premise of Ghost Writer sounded interesting and let me say it doesn't disappoint! I was lucky enough to get an Advance Reader Copy of this book and I have to say wow!
I kept thinking I would read one more chapter and then set it down and do some work I needed to do but I couldn't put it down. One chapter turned into two which turned into staying up until one AM so I would know how it ended.
The romance is sweet and the story is interesting with a...more
Mina Khan
This was a lovely, haunting ghost story with love at its heart.

I enjoyed the last two-thirds of the book more than the first, because well at first I found the heroine a bit annoying. But by the end of the book I was so seriously rooting for the couple to have their HEA.

Seth was absolutely delicious and I love the way Ms. Bryan weaves in his back story. Precious little morsels at a time.

And at one point I thought the story was coming to an end, and Ms. Bryan managed to surprise me with a very...more
Suzy Duffy
I LOVED this book!! Wasn't sure what to expect but it's a beautiful, heart warming, frustrating, intoxicating CLASSIC love story with an amazing twist. I LOVED the main characters and the setting. It was very well written. I'm looking forward to reading more from Lissa Bryan.
Ivana
To be completely fair, there were parts of this book that deserved more than 3 stars, but looking at the complete book, and the few bumps on the road, 3 stars seem like a fitting rating.

Ghostwriter starts out rather slow as we get to know Sara in midst of the mess that her life has become: she's unemployed, she broke up with her boyfriend, is on bad terms with her mother and struggling to ghostwrite a biography of a rather dull politician. She accepts the offer to cheaply rent a cabin on an isol...more
Jennifer Garcia

Italian Brat's Obsessions ~ Reviews One Book at a Time

Right off I must say this book is oh so good! I guarantee you'll love it!

Lissa opened the book with us getting to know Sara. College graduate, aspiring journalist, struggling writer, broke, bitchy mother, and jack ass ex boyfriend pretty much summed up Sara. Lissa did a wonderful job not telling us who Sara was but showing us. I was completely intrigued from the get go and found Sara to be relatable and real.

Approximately 37 pages in and the...more
Melinda Gray
I'm excited to review a book by an awesome author. This author is new to the publishing world but not new to the many fans of her stories published on a fan site.

Ghostwriter Summary:

Unemployed, with her savings dwindling, Sara Howell thinks things are looking up when she lands a ghostwriting job and rents the affordable island home of her favorite author, Seth Fortner, who mysteriously disappeared in 1925.

Strange things happen, making Sara wonder if Seth ever left. When she finds an old trunk of...more
Raum
The following review has been originally posted on My Reading Lounge, where you can find more reviews about original and derivative fiction.

-x-x-x-x-

Imagine you're alone in the middle of the night, snuggled on your favorite armchair, sipping a cup of tea. Which would be the ideal book to read? If your answer is “a ghost story,” or “a romance,” the perfect choice for you would be Ghostwriter by Lissa Bryan. To tell you about it Camilla and Raum have joined forces.

Lissa Bryan's first published nov...more
Sherri Hayes
Lissa Bryan is a local Ohio author. She's also published with TWCS. We've done a few author events together, yet I'd never read any of her books. To be honest, I was a little nervous about it. Lissa doesn't tend to write traditional romances, and quite frankly I wasn't sure if I'd like that or not. For that reason, I kept putting it off, and putting it off. Now, I'm kicking myself for not picking this book up sooner.

Ghostwriter is a wonderful and heartwarming romance.

The first thing I have to s...more
Michelle ♣ Ndayeni
An enchanting story of an improbable love between two people born nearly a century apart. While there doesn't always seem to be a lot of action going on, still there is something about it that keeps drawing you onward and turning the pages. Probably it is the way the author makes her characters come alive on the page, but also it's the emotions that the characters and their trials and tribulations evoke that work to hold you riveted to the page.

Sara is just coming off of a long-term relationship...more
Rel8tivity
Sara Howell is a former journalist, trying to break into the publishing business, and lands a contract to ghostwrite a biography for a politician. From before the story begins, Sara seems to be going through a run of bad luck - she's recently been in a car accident that totaled her car, her boyfriend (serious jerk, so glad when he got his just desserts) dumped her for someone else, she needs to find a cheaper place to live, since the advance she got from the publisher only goes so far, and buyin...more
Alisa
Sara is a struggling journelist who is looking for a new place to live. She's recently gone through a break up of a relationship & she has been hired to do be a ghostwriter for a popular politition who she does not particularly care for. Sara is frustrated with her job and her life in general. She stumbles across the opportunity to live in an old home on an isolated island. As luck would have it this turns out to be the home of her favorite author, Seth Fortner. Seth disappeared from the pub...more
Andrea (mrsaubergine)
This book is amazing! The lovely cover seems innocuous enough - see how she's holding hands with the ghost in the reflection? :) - and you think you're starting a lovely romance, but then it gets creepy, and you realise this story is a little bit horror, and a little bit historical WW1 story, too. I was gripped by the complex plot and thoroughly surprised at some of the twists and turns, so much so I really couldn't put it down.

I loved the World War 1 aspects, which you don't see too much of in...more
Michela Walters

3 1/2 stars, rounded up for GR purposes.

First let me thank NetGalley and The Writer's Coffee Shop Publishing for giving me an ARC of Lissa Bryan's first book.

The story revolves around Sara, a woman who just recently dumped her cheating boyfriend and due to budget cuts is laid-off from her current job as a writer for a local newspaper. All in all, her life begins to crumble around her when she is given the chance to ghostwrite a novel for a local politician. Unable to afford her apartment withou...more
Sherry Gomes

This is the story of Sarah Howell, a struggling ghostwriter, who as the book begins has recently had a break up with her boyfriend and is struggling to write the autobiography of a politician. While searching for a new apartment, she is invited to look at the home for rent on a small island, an island where she will be the only resident. She discovers this is the actual home where her favorite author, Seth Fortner, lived and died, and she jumps at the chance to live there. She enjoys her quiet s...more
Jackie Lane
For Sara Howell who loses her job and her boyfriend, finances being low, she moves to a remote island and works as a ghostwriter for a politician. The isolated house she moves into is the home a famous writer and one that Sara loved.

Sara and Seth strike up a friendship and she finds a trunk of his letters and through them she discovers what has happened to him. They strike up a friendship and together they begin to uncover the truth of what happened to him and to make an attempt to make thing ri...more
Jess Molly Brown
There's something about Sara Howell that makes it easy to relate to her. Perhaps that's just because I write. LOL. She's down on her luck when a new acquaintance offers her an irresistible opportunity. That stroke of providence results in her meeting an angry ghost who becomes pleasingly protective of her.

There's a twist in this book that I didn't see coming (I must say that's rare). For that twist alone, I would recommend this book.

Lissa blends historical detail and contemporary romance in a wa...more
  • Mountain Charm (Appalachian Heart Collection, #2)
  • More (MORE, #1)
  • Over the Edge
  • Naturally, Charlie
  • Fixer
  • A Thin, Dark Line
  • Red Zone (Daniels Brothers, #2)
  • Code Red
  • FanGirl
  • Legacy of a Dreamer (Dreamer, #1)
  • A Political Affair
  • Where We Fell
  • Cataclysm (Supernova Saga, #2)
  • Always
  • Grave Refrain: A Love/Ghost Story
  • Healing Faith (In Your World, #1)
  • Blood Flows Deep in the Empire (The Szolites, #1)
  • Sexy as Hell (More Than Men, #1)
Lissa Bryan is an astronaut, renowned Kabuki actress, Olympic pole vault gold medalist, Iron Chef champion, and scientist who recently discovered the cure for athlete's foot.... though only in her head. Real life isn't so interesting, which is why she spends most of her time writing.

She is the author of two novels, Ghostwriter and The End of All Things. Her third, Under These Restless Skies, will...more
More about Lissa Bryan...
The End of All Things (The End of All Things #1) Written in the Stars The Selkie Wife Under These Restless Skies Romantic Interludes

“But more importantly, know I love you more than I can say with simple words. Poets have attempted for centuries to find the perfect combination, and I don’t imagine I shall have more luck than they.” 8 likes
“Seth: "I write of love in my novels, write of it well, if my critics and fans are to be believed, but in all of my years at that typewriter, I never found the combination of words that would convey how I felt about you. You were my everything.” 3 likes