Start by marking “Once Upon a Potty: Boy (for Him, Joshua)” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Potty: Boy (for Him, Joshua)

Once Upon a Potty: Boy (for Him, Joshua)

"The classic books on a timeless subject -- for a new generation."

In 1975, Alona Frankel wrote and illustrated her first book, especially for her son Michael, on how to use the potty. Thirty-two years later, Once Upon a Potty -- Boy and Once Upon a Potty -- Girl are the classic books on potty training and have sold more than four million copies worldwide. These children's
Published March 30th 2007 by Firefly Books (first published August 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Potty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Potty

Feb 24, 2015 Traci rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, theoreads
From about 9-13 months, my son refused to sit and read a book with my husband and I. Of course I stressed out about it and read books at him during that time. In hindsight, I know he was working on his gross motor skills and one of the things he would often do was crawl to a shelf in his room full of my old picture books. He would always single out my "girl" copy of this book, promptly pull it off the shelf and rifle through the pages. The book is now destroyed because he always sought it.

A few
Julie Suzanne
This book was an X-mas gift from a family member when I was only like 3 months pregnant, and I thought it was a weird gift. I was unaware how important it would one day be!
I moved across the country with my boy shortly before he was potty-trainable. I misplaced the book and ended up not having it when I needed it. After I had decided that potty-training my child was the hardest thing in the world since labor, I got my hands on the book again. And that's the end of the story!!! My son read the bo
Nov 02, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Read this years ago with my son. Pretty popular potty training book. I like that there's a boy version and a girl version, so your child can relate to the child pictured. My older kids read the girl version to my youngest the other day and they came up to me afterwards and said, "Mom, that book is weird." ha ha I think because it specifically talks about the body parts, which is kinda odd and uncomfortable, but I think it probably does help the little ones trying to understand what the heck is g ...more
Feb 23, 2008 Kat rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: new parents
This was a necessary necessity for that trial and error dimension of childhood -- potty training. We read this over and over and. . . gad, I thought I'd be saying it in my sleep before my son "got it." He did finally "get it" after we got a puppy. The dog trained before my son did, but we had a jolly time reading the little red book as he called it. I think he enjoyed the reading more than the producing. Friendly, kind-hearted, light-hearted book that helped a delicate issue not become a terror, ...more
Conquering Dinner
a classic introduction to potty training for little boys
Apr 15, 2012 Tami rated it it was amazing
Potty training can be a very stressful time for both child and parent. Some children seem to take to the potty naturally. Others, like my little guy, seem to find the whole process alien and rather intimidating.

Once Upon a Potty-Boy is a tell it like it is book about potty training. It discusses the parts (in children’s terms) and what is going to happen. It encourages and even takes into consideration that mistakes will happen. But, when they are ready, the potty will be there.

My little guy is
Aug 26, 2013 Marjorie rated it really liked it
As a mother of three little girls, I like anything that helps make potty training easier! This book is written for boys, but the author has also written one specifically for girls. The information is presented in a straight forward way that is easily grasped by the young child. The little boy is shown without his diaper and while the illustrations are not truly anatomically correct, they do show that he is a boy. This book will certainly help the toddler understand the process of using the potty ...more
Jun 26, 2011 Beckie rated it really liked it
it is a very cute book with a wonderful story, and the pictures made all of us laugh. once i started reading it, i realized that the DVD form of the book was used on an episode of 'yes, dear'. i laughed watching that episode because of all of the crazy things the parents were trying to potty train their son, from books to movies to dolls to talking potty chairs to who-knows-what-else, while the other parents just let their kid run around naked in the back yard for a few days. i didn't know that ...more
Jun 27, 2009 Libby rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
I really liked most of this book. I liked how it talked about different parts of the body and what they're for and it talks about diapers and using a potty, BUT I didn't like how the toilet Joshua uses looks nothing like an actual toilet and I don't like the part when he's trying to figure out what it is because he does things with it that I'd rather not give my son ideas about... such as putting it on his head like a hat. Best not give him any ideas, in my opinion. He makes enough messes on his ...more
Oct 30, 2008 B rated it did not like it
this book annoyed the heck out of me.
(sorry, I know lots of people love it and swear by this one...)

bleh. the images (potty representation does not resemble a toilet), terminology and other little things just weren't for me.
no thanks.
i'll pass on the book and the DVD version.

and if i read/hear "wee-wee" one more time...ahhh!
just say PEE, people!! or peepee... whiz...number one... whatever! i can't take "weewee" :)
Sep 13, 2007 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I laugh just thinking about the state of my son's copy of this great book. In 1995 I carried this around in his diaper bag and read it too him every day. I'm sure for the months it sat on the bathroom sink, it was read by many a bathroom visitor. Adorable and funny and a must if you have or will have a toddler in the house. Another book I just haven't been able to part with, much to my son's horror.
Jan 20, 2015 Emily rated it did not like it
Because of some of the reviews I read, I bought this book for my toddler with the understanding that it was very descriptive about the body parts involved in using the bathroom. I guess I wasn't aware that a "wee-wee" is what you "make pee-pee" with and that only mommy changes diapers. This book is just not for us. I have read it to my son a few times, using anatomical terms in place of the cutesy terms, but overall I am not impressed, so I am still in search of a good potty training book.
Jun 20, 2011 Robbie rated it it was amazing
My son was not wanting to potty train. I tried everything from different potty's to trinkets on our regular potty with steps, did the cherio's game....all that stuff. Then I heard abou this book and thought I would give it a try. It is a wonderfully illustrated and marvelously gentle way to encourage that little boy to finally do a big boy thing. My son made me read it more than once a day. It also comes for girls too,.
Melissa Andrews
Dec 17, 2008 Melissa Andrews rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents who are ready to start potty training their toddlers
My mom wanted to start my son sitting on a potty. I think he's too young, but I went ahead and bought one online. The store I bought it from also had this book in the 'potty training' section and I thought I'd get it.

I really like it - it's cute. My son likes it too (he loves to 'read' - he's 15 months old and likes to look at the pictures and have me tell him what's going on). He hasn't yet caught on to using the potty yet though. Oh well. :-)
Aug 15, 2012 jacky rated it really liked it
Picked this up from a donated bag of books at our play group. I was very happy to get it since the Prudence version was one of Natalie's favorite potty books. This book is almost identical. The character's name is Joshua and he looks like the same except his hair is shorter and you can see his penis in a few of the pictures. But, most of the pictures are identical except for the hair length. The words are identical, too, except for the names and pronouns.
Mar 13, 2008 ABC rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: babies/toddlers
Shelves: younger-kids
When my son was at the potty training age, this book was too wordy and long for him. There are better books out there for short attention spans.

Plus, I find this book old-fashioned because the potty looks somewhat like a chamberpot or a vase in the illustrations. This may be confusing for very small kids.

Apr 01, 2016 Valerie rated it liked it
A classic book intended to be read to children who are being potty trained. There is a version for both boys and girls. The potty in the book is an urn so some children may be confused that it's not a toilet. The text also uses terms such as "we we for pee pee," which may be different for different children so knowing what terms families use would be helpful if using the book in a classroom.
Adam Sprague
Feb 27, 2009 Adam Sprague rated it liked it
The fact that I even remember this means it had to be somewhat good/entertaining...I do remember lots of "wee wee" and "poo poo" lines....then again, my parents couldn't even convey that much to me about "down there" so I guess this book is amazing?

All jokes aside its a decent "this is your body" kids book.
Mar 25, 2009 Jenny rated it did not like it
A lot of people like this book and I had heard of it before but was under impressed. It just didn't do anything for me and I didn't like reading it to my 3 year old who is already potty trained; glad to return it to the library!
Huddy Bun Bun
Oct 29, 2011 Huddy Bun Bun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah ma got this for Huddy and it's one of his favorite books. We hear "Joshie" "Joshie" a lot, and it's definitely helped him learn the words for the body and bodily functions. We're not sure he's ready for potty training, but he'll certainly know what it's all about when it happens.
Oct 21, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok
The little sound buttons are great, and the flushing sound sure is a hit, but if I have to make myself say the words "wee-wee" or "pee-pee" out loud again, I will scream. Just call it what it is, people!
Mar 27, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
another household favorite. as a kid me and my brothers would pull it out and make fun of it, thinking it was great. my mom actually hid it from us for a few years. i only wish it would use the correct terminology instead of made up words. sorry, im not one of those moms.
Mar 27, 2009 Tina rated it liked it
I realize this is a boy book, but that's what happens when you have boys first. We have been working on potty training, so this is the book we read a lot. I'm sure there are better books for this, but this is what we have:)
Oct 25, 2007 Amy rated it it was amazing
If getting my kid to potty means reading a book about Joshua and how he takes a dump in a flowerpot...or whatever the heck this thing is...I'm all for it. It's a cute book, written and illustrated (and read) with love.
Jul 23, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Rachael
Shelves: baby-toddler
Accidentally got the boy version from the library. Don't like the terms used for urination or bowel movements. There's a picture of the (boy) child putting the potty on his head. Does anyone really read all of those "AND SAT"'s out loud? Really? All of them?
Jul 25, 2012 Rhonda rated it it was ok
This is a potty training classic, following a boy as he learns to use the potty. I know some people love it, but I found it strange. The potty terms are weird. The actual potty doesn't look like one today. It has a lot of words and my daughter rarely made it through.
Jun 02, 2007 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-children
So technically my mom read this to me (again, and again, and again), and I don't remember there being a boy and girl version. But I do remember getting this book from the library over and over again.
Joshua's Mom
Aug 06, 2016 Joshua's Mom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We love this book and it certainly makes it a bit more fun when your child's name is actually Joshua :)

My son has the entire book memorized and used to recite it all the time. It probably isn't for everyone, but it has been great for us.
Jun 24, 2009 Diane rated it it was amazing
Leo found this book boxed away for a younger audience. He thought it was hilarious as a seven year old and read it this morning. He is the one giving it five stars.
Feb 13, 2008 Desiree rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Hmmm... it works for potty training!! I would give it five stars because of that, but the pictures really are a little awkward!
  • No More Diapers for Ducky!
  • Planes
  • Spot's First Walk (color)
  • Everyone Poops
  • Open the Barn Door (A Chunky Book(R))
  • Dinosaur vs. the Potty
  • Potty Time with Elmo (Sesame Street)
  • Five Little Ladybugs
  • That's Not My Train
  • The Potty Book for Boys
  • Potty
  • Mirror Me!: A Mirror Book (Baby Einstein)
  • Baby Animals
  • The Fussy Baby Book: Parenting Your High-Need Child From Birth to Age Five
  • The New Potty (Little Critter)
  • The Nutcracker
  • Duck Goes Potty
  • Waddle!
Alona Frankel was born on June 27, 1937 in Cracow, Poland. As a Jew under the German occupation of World War II, she was forced along with her parents and all other Jews into the Lvov Ghetto. After the ghetto was liquidated by the Nazis, Alona was sent off to hide in a remote, Catholic village, with forged documents. Pretending to be a Christian child, she worked and slept in a barn with her new f ...more
More about Alona Frankel...