Start by marking “The Chosen” as Want to Read:
The Chosen

The Chosen

Mikon is pulled into a nightmare of the past. Many lifetimes ago, his soul had been Kei, the god’s lover and now the god wants him back. Mikon is pulled into a lust-driven nightmare, part of him remembering and longing for the god’s carnal touch, the other crying out for freedom.

There is one who stands between the mad god and his merciless nature. Satarin, the Chosen, a ma
Published June 27th 2012 by Ellora`s Cave Publishing

M'rella
Don't fret, spoilers are in the spoiler tags at the end of the post. Read away.

A caravan master and his brother are kidnapped by the very prisoners they are trying to transport over Deadlands (I think that's what the name was) to the bordering country.

The former prisoners deliver brothers to their God who identifies Mikon, the caravan master, as his lover's reincarnation. Mikon has no recollection of such an atrocity. The God then possesses the body of his Chosen - Satarin, the prisoners' leader
Simsala
Darn book made me cry...
Well done Ms. Owens that`s a tough job!

A surprisingly tame (for an Owen`s), well thought-out slow burner in a fantasy/science fiction setting. A character-driven tale of sacrifice and eternal love with a depht of emotion that was haunting and moved me to tears.
My only niggle is the open question in the end....what happened to Kei?

Some scenes in this book may be considered non-con. Not in my book - it is...and it isn`t.
You have to read it to find out what that means...

High
Eliza
Jun 14, 2012 Eliza rated it it was amazing
After J.C.'s last book I was nervous to read this one. But... my faith is restored! Great book with a strong plot and deep emotions. Happy reader/fan.
Rita
Aug 18, 2012 Rita rated it it was amazing
Have you ever had an author that you've loved everything they've written to the point that you will wait and read their book last cause you don't want it to be over even before you started? JC Owens has joined that very small club of authors I read that fall into this category. I will literally clear my Kindle of every other book first cause I know I'm going to love this book and be disappointed when it's over so I want to postpone that for as long as possible. Like with Taken I fell in love wit ...more
justanya
Jun 28, 2012 justanya rated it it was ok
Diane
Jun 28, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it
I am a fan of J.C. Owens and liked the book overall. The mix of magic and sci-fi was interesting; the world building in the beginning was vivid and there seemed to be an intriguing (bizarre) love triangle forming... but in the end the story abandoned some of its originality and devolved into a mushy romance.

Jaye McKenna
Jan 10, 2013 Jaye McKenna rated it it was amazing
Love J.C. Owens stuff... this is one of the best.
Elle Beasee
So, I finished this one and think I'm desperately in need of a brain enema.

That is all.
Juxian
Feb 21, 2016 Juxian rated it it was ok
I couldn't really get into this one. Because I didn't feel any sympathy towards the Masaari and Satorin from the beginning. Mikon and Jacob showed nothing but kindness to them and they took them away from their world, denied them any choice. Especially Jacob who isn't even involved with any gods, and there he is forced jnto a "marriage" he didn't choose, with the alternative being everybody's whore, and the author says it's all right because he "doesn't mind".
Ian
Jun 11, 2013 Ian rated it it was ok
Honestly, I wanted the childish god to win out. I guess I'm just loyal like that.
Revelations came much too quickly which left me astonishingly disbelieving of the events in the novel. I had the thought "riiiiight" consistently throughout, which made a less than enjoyable read.
It had a promising premise, but unfortunate execution.
Anastasia
Jul 22, 2012 Anastasia rated it really liked it
Hard to rate this one since I dislike the harem theme, which she used again but thankfully not with the main characters.
After being captured Mikon learns some interesting truth about himself and his destiny. Mikon is supposed to be the lost soul of Kei, a slave and lover to a god of an alien race, who is always to be reburn, as to appease the god. That god is very, well lets say, bratty and selfish, somewhat insane and doesn't exactly care for his people. The god's Chosen One, Satarin,
Clovernmax
Mar 16, 2014 Clovernmax rated it really liked it
The changes that Mikon went through to accept the changes in his life were immense. He starts out as a free man, forced into slavery and finally the beloved of a god. He was in interesting man and the way he maintained his strength and self respect was wonderful. The love that developed between Satarin and himself started with admiration and grew. I truly enjoy the strength of characters through adversity and the perseverance and growth they show. Of course the love that developed between the tw ...more
Ayanna
Aug 10, 2012 Ayanna rated it liked it
I think I rather liked this better than some of Owens' other books, but it's still not quite ideal. I do agree that the dual-sense-of-self dynamic needed to be explored more and better.

I feel like I always say the same thing. The worlds Owens creates are fascinating, unique, amazing in their own rights, but the main characters are almost always lacking...something. (That "something special"? I also feel like they lack just a little bit of credibility. Something about them just almost seems unbel
Amy
Aug 03, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own-them
I just balled my freaking eyes out reading this, but that ending was so worth every tear! Owens didn't disappoint and as usual wrote an amazing story. The story was so cool and different, I loved it! Mikon and Satarin are just so amazing <3 !! I loved it Miss Owens, I don't know why it took me so long to read this one.
Sherry
Jul 02, 2012 Sherry rated it really liked it
3.75 stars The blurb explains the story pretty well although it is more sci-fi than anticipated (which is fine). My only niggle - w/o giving anything away - is how quickly Mikon supposedly acclimated from almost Death Valley western existence to the sci-fi aspect.

Saskie-
Jan 31, 2017 Saskie- rated it it was ok
It started beautifuly and it was just very interesting and captivating! I was really happy and then I just loved how everyone hated Kai and how Mikon had to endure what was happening and hated it, but then it suddenly turned to a sappy & sweet romance -_- .
And it ended that way.
,_,
Moniqee
Jul 06, 2012 Moniqee rated it liked it

I enjoy the story of Mikon and Satarin but somehow theirs seems to be overwhelmed by my curiousity on Janizar and Kei. I would love to read a story about Janizar and Kei ( the past that will link to their future happiness )
Cile
Sep 03, 2013 Cile rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
it's lack of development for their love to each other.. but the depth of their love made me cry in the end.. I will give it 5 star if only there is epilogue to their future.. Personally, I don't really like the ending..
AE
Jul 30, 2015 AE rated it did not like it
Dafuq did I just read?

*still reeling*
Timeforme
Not as good as most of the other J.C. Owens' books I've read but okay.
Thuly Tran
Aug 16, 2012 Thuly Tran rated it it was amazing
Always love j.c Owens' books
Kallunnah
Feb 24, 2014 Kallunnah rated it liked it
I just could not get into this one. The premise was just to stretched out and it kept getting creepier without redeeming qualities.
CK
Jan 25, 2016 CK rated it liked it
This could have been really good if it was longer. Pun absolutely intended.
rachel igoe
Sep 17, 2016 rachel igoe rated it really liked it
Another brilliant read from J C

A bit of a slow start but once you get further in its another great read from J C Owens. Now hoping a sequel is to follow!
Shizu
Shizu rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2013
Graelynn Grimm
Graelynn Grimm rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2017
Norma
Norma rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2013
Eleonora
Eleonora rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
  • Pathfinder
  • Forest of Glass
  • An Unauthorized Field Guide to the Hunt
  • Inherent Gifts
  • Reifu Rising
  • The Slave Catcher
  • Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts (Claimings, #1)
  • The Archers of Kynthos
  • Finding Frankie (Mech Warrior #1)
  • The Experiment  (Saving Caeorleia #1)
  • Bonding (Himiko, #1)
  • Acquainted with the Night
  • Tentacles for the Brides Bouquet
  • Out of the Woods (Tarin's World, #1)
  • Spice ‘n’ Solace (Galactic Alliance #1)
  • The Heracian Affair
  • Reclamation (Dominion, #2)
  • When I Fall (An Uncommon Whore, #2)
Also known as J.C. McGuire.

J.C Owens lives in small town, rural Alberta and is a self confessed writing-a-holic. In the absence of help for this affliction…

I do indeed love to write and have over twenty books sitting idle in my computer, waiting… I love the genre of male/male stories and conflict in what a person thinks they want, versus what they truly need to become themselves. I think any writi
More about J.C. Owens...