Start by marking “Megacatastrophes!: Nine Strange Ways the World Could End” as Want to Read:
Megacatastrophes!: Nine Strange Ways the World Could End

Megacatastrophes!: Nine Strange Ways the World Could End

Celebrate the year of the Mayan Apocalypse in style with Megacatastrophes, as Dr David Darling and Dr Dirk Schulze-Makuch delve into the amazing science of the end of the world. Could it be the asteroid hurtling towards us from outer space, or a super-volcano covering the Earth under a cloud of ash; black holes gobbling up the solar system, or a tiny army of nanobots in a ...more
Published 2012 by Oneworld Publications

To ask other readers questions about Megacatastrophes!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Megacatastrophes!

May 17, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: research, science
I'm inclined to like anything catastrophe-related, but I really wished this book had more meat to it. It's a good overview for anyone who hasn't read up on the various downer events that could bring about the end of civilization as we know it. But if you've read up on the subject before, this doesn't bring much that's new to the table.
Penguin Gunter
Autors apskata 9 iespējamos pasaules gala scenārijus, apzināti nepievēršoties nevienam no tādiem, kas saistīti ar kodolkaru, terorismu vai tml. Daži no tiem visai interesanti, daži - jau novecojuši (piemēram, autors apskata arī scenāriju ar lielā hadronu paātrinātāja sačakarēšanos). Katram autors piedāvā arī savu novērtējumu tā iespējamības un seku (cilvēku upuru skaita) ziņā skalā no 0 līdz 10 un "izdzīvošanas padomus".
Scenāriji īsumā:
1. Nanotehnoloģiju neizzinātās negatīvās blaknes - jo mazāk
Pete Denton
I’ll start with the fact that I did enjoy this book. It isn’t very often that I read a non fiction book and thank you again for all of your suggestions at the beginning of the year. I picked this book because the subject matter appealed to me and it was one of the 99p book of the day deals and I cannot resist a bargain.

From topics such as nano technology, implications of large hadron collider, contagious diseases, advancements of technology, the Supervolcano and others. There are nine different
Kelly
Jul 20, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, 2012
This book was really interesting & fun to read with the science explained really well & the explanations of the threats making sense without being melodramatic. Have already recommended it to a few people.
Morpheyy
Jul 11, 2013 Morpheyy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best non-fiction books I've ever read. It's entertaining, and (for the most part) the authors and editors really tried to simplify the jargon and scientific explanations.
James Reeves
Jun 21, 2013 James Reeves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting but at times very technical in the language used to describe some of the scenarios.
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2012
Earthboundmisfit
Earthboundmisfit rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Sami Koskinen
Sami Koskinen rated it it was ok
Dec 06, 2015
Scott Lyall
Scott Lyall rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Kelli Nina Perkins
Kelli Nina Perkins rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Oneworld Publications
Oneworld Publications rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2012
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Tony Gomersall
Tony Gomersall rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Kurt Freund
Kurt Freund rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Thiago Martinez
Thiago Martinez rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Jorg De
Jorg De rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Maily
Maily rated it liked it
May 31, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Jim Ferry
Jim Ferry rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2012
John fraser
John fraser rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Beleth
Beleth rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Binu Paul
Binu Paul rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2012
Caitlin Thomson
Caitlin Thomson rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Lewis
Lewis rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Yago de Artaza Paramo
Yago de Artaza Paramo rated it it was ok
May 06, 2012
Pete
Pete rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
Gerry Dorby
Gerry Dorby rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2013
David Darling is a science writer and astronomer. He is the author of many books, including the bestselling Equations of Eternity, and the popular online resource The Worlds of David Darling. He lives in Dundee, Scotland.
More about David Darling...