Start by marking “Firefight (Reckoners, #2)” as Want to Read:
Firefight (Reckoners, #2)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Firefight (Reckoners #2)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  48,936 Ratings  ·  4,331 Reviews
Babylon Restored, formerly Manhattan, may give David answers. Ruled by the mysterious High Epic, Regalia, David is sure Babylon Restored will lead him to what he needs to find. And while entering another city oppressed by a High Epic despot is a gamble, David's willing to risk it. Because killing Steelheart left a hole in David's heart. A hole where his thirst for vengeanc ...more
Published January 6th 2015 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Firefight, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
James Montgomery
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Hank The way i took it was the force fields were only on the doors and windows, not circling the entire room. Same kinda way how when David is stuck in the…moreThe way i took it was the force fields were only on the doors and windows, not circling the entire room. Same kinda way how when David is stuck in the under water base by Prof's force field on the door, but he was still able to shoot and crack the glass and allow water into the room.

So when firing the gun it would go through the wall and hit her, since the force fields are only on the doors and windows.(less)

Kat O'Keeffe
Oct 26, 2016 Kat O'Keeffe rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book in the trilogy, which is rare for a middle book! The world, characters, story -- everything is so well developed.

I talk more about the series overall (spoiler-free) in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRwb...
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin

BRANDON SANDERSON

David and the crew is back, although some of them take a back seat in this book because a few go to Babylon Restored.

David, Tia, Prof are the ones that go and leave Abraham and Cody behind with Edmund. I love Abraham and Cody so much. ❤

Anyhoo, the crew are going to meet with some other Reckoners to try to take out Regalia. She's another epic that wants to cause trouble since the death of you know who. She has an epic named Obliteration who is super bad and there are some other
Alejandro
My name is David Charleston. I kill people with superpowers.

AFTER GETTING YOUR GOAL... WHAT?

David Charleston’s life couldn’t be better now, in this dystopian world where insane superpowered humans keep killing and destroying anything at their reach, since after years of being studying the “Epics” (how this superpowered humans are referred), learning how their powers work, but more important what their weaknesses are, to know how to kill them all, now he is a member of the secretive organizat
Robin (Bridge Four)
ON SALE!!!! $1.99 Sanderson + Superheroes = Awesomeness. This is on sale at amazon 2/22/17

ReREAD before Calamity!!! with my fellow Reckoners at Buddies Books & Baubles

Loved it just as much the second time and my favorite new metaphor was.....
The sun sank down like a giant golden pat of butter melting onto the corn of New Jersey. Or … wait. That abandoned city was kind of more like spinach than corn. So the sun sank down into the spinach of Jersey.

It was also theorized that if David made
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Jun 07, 2017 Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

Firefight is a great continuation of the Reckoners trilogy.

Once again, I wanna start with the bad. This book has the same pacing issues seen in Steelheart, lots of buildup for the first 80% of the book & then a rapid lightning storm of events in the last 20%. If you've read Elantris, think similarly to how that book is laid out.

With Firefight, I found myself distinctly less interested in the plot by comparison to its predecessor. The plot is still awesome, it just isn
Bookdragon Sean
I like a book that starts fast, and this book started incredibly fast. This set me up with high expectations for the rest of the book. And these were met completely. The speed of the plot never slowed down, not for one page. It was energetic throughout; it was just action upon action: fight upon fight. Until one big epic climatic event at the end, in the centre of the flooded city, that leaves us with a heart jerking conclusion.

description

This was a very quick read. Not because it was short, but because I
Athena Shardbearer
Sandersonitis...I've gots it!

Mind Blowing

This book Obliterated everything I thought I knew about Sanderson. I thought I knew his tricks...I thought I knew what he's going to do, I even sent theories to Robin, and in the end I've learned to just let shit flow the way they should. Just let Sanderson take over my life and give me amazing stories.

Now, when this book started, it started with a bang! Running, running...YEAH YEAH YEAH! Then things changes and I was thinking...What are you doing Sander
Kimberly
Nov 09, 2013 Kimberly marked it as to-read
EDIT 1/27: IT'S FINALLY HERE.

Well, time to go to the library.

ORIGINAL: I will now sit in my chair and wait.

and wait.

and wait.

waiting gifs photo: tumblr_lx2nos3HUz1qjimnqo2_500.gif
Cait (Paper Fury)
THIS WAS SO FREAKING FANTASTIC THAT MY BRAIN HAS EXPLODED. Seriously, that little bundle of flailing feels you see collapsed in the corner? That would be me. I am so ridiculously addicted to this series. Steelheart was amazing; but Firefight just WENT UP THE NEXT NOTCH. I suspect this is because it's superheroes and excellent writing and the best protagonist of ever and also my ship toot toot sailing...but anyway.)

(And note: the audiobook is amazing. One of my favourite narrators ever!)

I SERIOUS
Will M.
Slowly sinking in that I have to wait around a year before book 3 comes out.

I was expecting a lot more from this, because I know Sanderson could've done better. To keep it short, this wasn't Sanderson level.

The reckoners continue their mission of killing epics. Compared to Steelheart, this second installment had a vague goal. They were trying to do a lot of things simultaneously, resulting to confusion of the main goal of the novel. There were also too much bad guys than necessary. Two should've
Evgeny
Nov 03, 2015 Evgeny rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Firefight

A High Epic threatens a peaceful life of Newcago from the former Manhattan now called Babylon Restored. A group of Reconers has to answer the challenge, so David accompanied by Prof and Tia gets to see new places, make new friends, and kill them. It actually is not as exciting as it sounds.

At this point I became convinced that Brandon Sanderson, while being an excellent and very productive writer, cannot write an exciting middle book of the trilogy. Let me take Mistborn as an example. After an
Beth Hudspeth
Feb 17, 2016 Beth Hudspeth rated it really liked it
Hello Beautiful Book Blog
MOAR DAVID! ♥

More action, more suspense, more awesomeness! Great sequel in the Reckoners series!

“My name is David Charleston. I kill people with super powers.”

Firefight felt like a complete separate story from Steelheart. David is in a new city in this book, very similar to NYC. There is a new team they are working with to try and bring down another very powerful Epic. There are still some mysteries surrounding everything they are trying to accomplish, so that aspe
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Dec 26, 2014 Eon ♒Windrunner♒ rated it it was amazing
2016 reread over at BB&B in preparation for Calamity is officially DONE.

Amazing how many things I forgot - glad I did a reread. And yes, it was fantastic AGAIN.

Original review:

Brandon Sanderson does it again. I am pretty sure the term "nailed it" is interchangeable with "Sandersoned", for the man is a genius.

So this book starts off with your typical "pulls-you-in" Sanderson prologue, moves into the main story running (yep, no crawling or baby steps here), throws in some left and right surpri
Gavin
Oct 01, 2013 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books, fantasy
This sequel to Steelheart was of a similar quality. Good, but not quite as good as Sanderson's regular fantasy series. It would have been better if it was longer. The ending was exciting, but it did feel a little rushed.

The setting changed from NewCago to Babylon Restored, or Manhattan as we pre-Calamity people might call it. Babylon Restored was as unique and interesting a place as NewCago. The flooded city was interesting and the glowing fruits and lights provided by the mysterious Dawnslight
Scott  Hitchcock
4.5*'s and what a fabulous ending. Plenty of surprises and unexpected flips. Definitely one of the better YA series I've read.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Firefight starts off with a really rousing manhunt/attempted assassination of a murderous Epic (a person with superpowers who's been corrupted by them), and quickly thereafter David--who is sometimes called "Steelslayer" now; how cool is that?--heads off with the Professor, the leader of their rebel group, to what used to be New York City, to try to take care of another major Epic threat.

What New York City (now "Babylon Restored" or "Babilar" for short) has evolved into is almost the polar oppo
Hasham Rasool
Sanderson is a greatest author. Most of the people I met they don't know who Sanderson is. Sometimes I am wondering how could they don't know him?

I really like 'Steelheart' and 'Firefight' but I think 'Firefight' is better than Steelheart.

I love 'Firefight' Alhamdulillah!
Alp
Wow! This is what I call super duper AMAZING read!

YA science fiction/dystopian is not a genre I normally read. It's probably because I rarely find books that enthrall me like ones in this series have done. This is the second installment in The Reckoners trilogy and I found it was as good as the first one, or perhaps even better. The story delivered exactly what it promised. I had a hard time putting it down. The story grabbed me from the beginning and I was personally happy with the ending which
Simona Bartolotta
"I needed to say something. Something romantic! Something to sweep her off her feet.
"You’re like a potato!" I shouted after her. "In a minefield."
She froze in place."

Aaaand I'll leave to you the possibility to find out by yourself what this could possibly mean because it's so cute and -unbelievably- romantic, that honestly I don't have the heart to steal this pleasure from you.

It's Sanderson, it's good. With some authors it just works this way and you just know it. Plot is good, pace is good,
Mario
May 11, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I just knew I should not have done this to myself. Now I have to wait almost a whole YEAR for the last one to come out?! Come on Sanderson, you can't end a book like that.

I honestly don't know how Sanderson does it. With every book of his that I read, I just gain more and more respect for the man.

Firefight had a completely different tone than Steelheart, but it worked just as good, if not better. Same main characters, completely different setting. Not a lot of writers can pull that off well, bu
Kaora
Sep 03, 2014 Kaora rated it really liked it
My name is David Charleston.
I kill people with super powers.

Sanderson has done it again!

When superheroes start coming after them bearing clues that draw them to a city named Babylon Restored, ruled by a woman named Regalia, the Reckoners of Newcago join the branch of Reckoners to find out why, after so many years of good living in the city, suddenly Regalia is trying to destroy everything she has built.

I love this series. The new take on superheroes where power corrupts is a refreshing change fr
Nikki
This SPOILER-FREE(!) review can also be found at my blog, There were books involved...

-----------------------------

OH MY GOSH YOU GUYS. I've been waiting FOREVER to post this review. I read Firefight over two months ago, thanks to Mark letting me and a few other bloggers borrow his ARC (thanks again, Mark!), and omg. This book has been burning a hole in my brain ever since.

First off, though -- have you read Steelheart ? Because if you haven't, it would probably be better to start by reading m
Danae
Dec 10, 2014 Danae rated it it was amazing
I'm still fangirling so we'll see how this goes.

Firefight was incredible. I didn't think it was possible, but it's even better than Steelheart. Sanderson blows my mind and exceeds my expectations at every turn. Every time I thought I knew what was happening things would change. That last 30%? Just clear your mind of any theories you might have because I can guarantee they won't be correct.

The Reckoners are in a new city this time around, with some new characters, and I loved it. I had no idea wh
Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/01/25/a...

It’s no secret that I’m a big fan of Brandon Sanderson, and I admit I usually go into his books with higher than average expectations. Still, I rarely find myself disappointed. There’s just something about his style of writing and storytelling that really appeals to me, and the truth is, the man is a font of utterly amazing and creative ideas.

In 2013 Sanderson brought us Steelheart, the first book in The Reckoners series a
Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷
Feb 20, 2016 Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction, ya
If you didn't know by now, I herewith officially inform you that I suffer from both acute and chronicle Sandersonsitis. It is highly contagious and cannot be cured.

The symptoms, among others, are:
► When someone asks you "How are you" you respond: "I feel like a brick made of porridge, thanks, and you?"
► You address light eyed people as "Your brightness"
► When someone you know behaves slightly differently you wonder when they were replaced by a Kandra
► You think of flying objects as Allomants
► Y
Armina
Buddy read with Desinka and Gavin

4 STARS

So Firefight! Indeed, the star in this book is Firefight, besides David himself:

“And a figure of pure white light exploded into existence ... . It blazed like the sun itself, a feminine figure, radiant, powerful, golden hair blown back and shining like a corona.”

I enjoyed the book a lot. And probably I would have rated it higher if it had the luck to not be my first read after Golden Son. Alas, it had no such luck!

The start of the book is a bit slow
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

5 Stars!

Sparks! This book is amazing! I could go on and on about how much I loved this book (and probably will in this review). I am fairly new to Brandon Sanderson, having just read the first book in this series, Steelheart, not quite a month ago. My friends on Goodreads have talked about having an ailment called Sandersonitis and I am afraid that I may have caught the bug because I cannot get enough of this stuff.

I love the idea of this se
JAIME
Dec 27, 2014 JAIME rated it it was amazing
There is a good chance Firefight and Golden Son have ruined me for all other books for 2015.

I'm not sure my mind was as blown with the last 30% or so, as many other's seem to have been. In saying that though, the ending was phenomenal and gave me huge amounts of depression when I turned the page and saw that message to tell us that Calamity will be out in Spring (or Autumn for those of us below the equator) 2016. Nope.

Death. Sandersonitis is right.

I found myself a wee bit anti-Reckoners by abo
Shannon (leaninglights)
Actual rating 4.5 stars

I loved this. This series is so fun and heartfelt. I really enjoyed this second installment - I thought it was a tad stronger than the first and I can't wait to read Calamity!
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Rose and the Thorn (The Riyria Chronicles, #2)
  • The Hidden Masters of Marandur (The Pillars of Reality #2)
  • Nice Dragons Finish Last (Heartstrikers, #1)
  • Warbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #3)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
  • The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • The Price of Valour (The Shadow Campaigns, #3)
  • Codex Born (Magic Ex Libris, #2)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Reckoners (3 books)
  • Steelheart (Reckoners, #1)
  • Calamity (Reckoners, #3)

“I needed to say something. Something romantic! Something to sweep her off her feet.
"You’re like a potato!" I shouted after her. "In a minefield."
She froze in place. Then she spun on me, her face lit by a half-grown fruit. “A potato,” she said flatly. “That’s the best you can do? Seriously?”
“It makes sense,” I said. “Listen. You’re strolling through a minefield, worried about getting blown up. And then you step on something, and you think, ‘I’m dead.’ But it’s just a potato. And you’re so relieved to find something so wonderful when you expected something so awful. That’s what you are. To me.”
“A potato.”
“Sure. French fries? Mashed potatoes? Who doesn’t like potatoes?”
“Plenty of people. Why can’t I be something sweet, like a cake?”
“Because cake wouldn’t grow in a minefield. Obviously.”
She stared down the hallway at me for a few moments, then sat on an overgrown set of roots.
Sparks. She seemed to be crying. Idiot! I thought at myself, scrambling through the foliage. Romantic. You were supposed to be romantic, you slontze! Potatoes weren’t romantic. I should have gone with a carrot.”
180 likes
“As she’d left, I’d glanced at her gun.
This time, when she’d pointed it at me, she’d flicked the safety on. If that wasn’t true love, I don’t know what was.”
104 likes