Start by marking “Steelheart (Reckoners, #1)” as Want to Read:
Steelheart (Reckoners, #1)
Read Excerpt

Steelheart (Reckoners #1)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  57,977 ratings  ·  6,253 reviews
Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics.

But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his wills.

Nobody fights the Epics...nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend t
Published September 24th 2013 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Steelheart, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Shain Lambert I originally thought it had to be someone who did it by accident or who did not want to hurt him/who admired him, like his father did.
Avaminn F'nett It's basically about a world where there are supervillains but no superheroes, and a group of really smart people who try to discover their weaknesses…moreIt's basically about a world where there are supervillains but no superheroes, and a group of really smart people who try to discover their weaknesses and kill them. It's a bit similar to other superhero stories but also a bit different. Some of the superpowers are really unique and different.

It would make an epic movie, though,(less)
The Republic of Thieves by Scott LynchA Memory of Light by Robert JordanEmperor of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceThe Daylight War by Peter V. BrettThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
Can't Wait Sci-Fi/Fantasy of 2013
6th out of 617 books — 3,234 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
163rd out of 2,466 books — 12,471 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
I got a chance to read an early version of this a little while ago. Needless to say, I jumped at it.

The reason for this is that so far, I haven't read a book by Brandon Sanderson that I haven't loved. That means it's quite likely that I'll get a chance to read another good book, which is always welcome.

OR I'll finally read something of Sanderson's I *don't* like. Which would thrill me, honestly.

Why? Well, because Brandon writes so much faster than me. It only seems fair that some of his stuff
Kat Stark

Buddyread with the epic group of Sanderson fans: Alexa, Annette, Armina, Ashley, Carole, Danae, Desinka, Eon, Evgeny, Gavin, Kristen, Nicolas, Robin, Sarah, Shandra, & Shelly (Click to read their reviews)

Second Book: Firefight

Well that was an interesting turn of events. I was going to rate this a 3, but I feel like I have to +1 star for the surprises. Plus, I mean it’s basically a comic book in novel form.

If you want a well thought-out or more informative review, click on one of the names a
Giselle
This book = insanity!

This will prove my living under a rock, but I had not heard of this author before I went to Book Expo and got told all about his awesome status, and let me tell you, the praise is not unwarranted! Steelheart does not hold back; it's an edge-of-your-seat read with an intensity that requires you to put the book down regularly just so you can take a breather!

There are book beginnings... then there are Sanderson beginnings; the prologue is all it took to make me fall in love wit
Felicia
I got to read this early. No spoilers, but it's FANTASTIC.
Emily May
Well... that was disappointing.

I've heard such great things about all of Brandon Sanderson's books and he's an author I've been meaning to read for what seems like forever. So I decided to pick up his recent young adult work instead of committing to a series with several releases already... well, all I can say is that I hope this isn't representative of all his books because Steelheart really disappointed me. In my opinion, there is nothing you can get from this book that you can't get from bett
Alejandro
I've seen Steelheart bleed.

I always love when a book begins with a solid first sentence. And this novel was a good example of that.

PUSHED TO THE NEXT STEP OF EVOLUTION

This is my first book by Brandon Sanderson and now I realize why he is so popular and well rated by a lot of readers and reviewers. Certainly he has a great style and entertaining style that you aren't never bored of what is happening. I am aware that this novel is from a genre kinda new to him since this is a "super-hero" book
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
The world kinda ends with an event called Calamity. Ordinary people get superpowers? Kinda sounds cool huh?
Well they don't use their powers for good. They use those suckers to rule the world!

The Reckoners are the group trying to fight against them. At times I got bored with them. They did spend too much time discussing plans. I didn't care. I just wanted shit blew up.

I did get entranced when the action started. That was intense and very well done.
This kinda reads similar to Xmen gone bad. I l
Elizabeth
Lets just get it out there: Steelheart is a superhero novel and a YA superhero novel at that. Now don’t just run away now assuming this isn’t for you because before reading this book I would have thought that too.

I don’t know why, but caped crusaders never floated my boat and I’ve had enough bad YA to recognise the standard drill. Dystopian near future world – check, Love interest – check, Near constant action – check.

However I should not have doubted. Seriously, I am never doubting Sanderson a
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
Actual rating: 3.5

This book was a lot of fun to read. I'm not a fan of comic books, I enjoy superhero movies, but I've never been a fan of comics themselves because I'm not a visual person. I don't like pictures. I prefer words. For me, this book was the lengthy equivalent of a comic book, and that's just fine with me. That is not to say that I take this book and its themes lightly in any way; comic books can be quite complex, and this book certainly was. It addresses some complex moral and phil
Aj the Ravenous Reader

4.5 stars to be accurate

Meet Steelheart.

(I don’t know why my mind conjures Loki’s image whenever Steelheart is described.^^)

He is an “Epic” (could be a superhuman, an alien, a result of a science experiment, I’m not really sure) with supernatural abilities and strength and is the ruler of a city called Newcago. Wait…did I just say Newcago? OMG, I just have to…let me just…

Okay, I’m calm. Newcago, jeez. That’s ridiculous. [*wipes off a tear while still laughing]. To continue, Steelheart is one
Mario
It's hard to form words at this moment, so I'm not sure if this review will make any sense.

Brandon fucking Sanderson, you've done it again! I can't believe that I actually had doubts about this one, thinking that after reading Mistborn, I will be disappointed. Well, I admit. I was an idiot. Sanderson, I promise, I will never doubt at your writing again.

The whole book was just EPIC (I know, I hate to use that word too). I was afraid of having too much similarities with Mistborn, and at the beginn
Evgeny
Buddy read with the following people: Athena, Armina, Gavin, Kat Stark, Desinka, Robin, Alexa, Shandra, Annette, Nicholas, Carole, Ashley, Eon, Kristen, Danae, and the latecomer Sarah

The easiest and shortest description would be, "X-Men gone bad"; I am sure somebody already mentioned this in a review. Anyway, in near future some people (called Epics) gained superpowers - all kinds of them. Have you ever hear the saying "Power corrupts"? What about superpower? In the dystopian society of North Am
Robin (Bridge Four)
Buddy Read/Reread TODAY Dec 8 with my fellow Sandersonitus Sufferers Athena (Shardbearer), Armina, Gavin, Kat Stark, Evengy, Desinka, Alexa, Shandra, Annette, Nicholas, Carole, Ashley, Eon, Kristen, Danae and we also hijacked oOSarahOo Last Minute.
 photo steelheartquote_zpsa054b24f.jpg

On the Reckoners Group Read Thread

Original Review October 2013:

Imagine a world where there are no good X-Men. What would happen if there are only villains with great powers and no heroes? What becomes of the cities, government, people in general? That
Bookworm Sean
Epics are humans with super-powers. These powers corrupt their souls, turning them into tyrannical murderers that think themselves divine. Steelheart is one of these and has the ability to turn anything he touches into steel, including his own skin, rendering him completely impervious to harm. He murdered David’s father, but not before he managed to shoot him in the face leaving a scar on the supposedly invincible Epic’s cheek. David is the only person to see him bleed, and has spent the rest of ...more
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
OMG. I think I just joined the Sanderson Cult for an unexpected BR. And this YA too. I am SO doomed.

Cult members: Robin, Shandra, Evgeny, Athena, Armina, Gavin, Kat, Desinka, Alexa, Nicholas, Danae, Carole, Shelly, Annette, Eon, Ashley, Liz...

SO. YA + my little self = A love-hate relationship. More of a DNF relationship actually. But, hey, can you see the rating up there? Three stars! Not bad, eh? It must be the Sanderson Effect!

When I started reading the book and realized superheroes were invol
Regan
That was an awesome read! Full of action, super interesting story! I cannot wait until the next book! I love anti hero stories..
Athena (Shardbearer)
Buddy read with Robin(Bridge Four), Gavin, Desinka, Armina, Kat Stark, Alexa, Shandra, Annette, Nicholas, Evgeny, Carole's Random Life’s
Kristen, Eon, Ashley, Danae, Sh3lly, oOSarahOo

Reckoners Group Read Thread

The heroes will come...we might just have to help them along.

This was such a fun read especially with the group of GR buddies! (If I'm missing any names please let me know.)

J.

I really wanted to read a Sanderson novel for some time now, and since some of his other titles didn’t appeal to me, I decided to give this series a try. The basic plot is that there are people in the world who were given powers by something known as Calamity, and these people are referred to as Epics. The more Epics use their powers, the less they have of their humanity and apparently become arrogant and take what they can get leaving the rest of the world in fear of them. So a group of regular
Nermin
May 24, 2013 Nermin marked it as to-read

Just read the prologue and it is epic. Gettit? EPIC.

though you probably won't get my feeble joke unless you read the prologue
Hershey
Initial Reaction before reading:

IMG-20150123-WA0013
(Introducing the Bitmoji version of myself!)

Oh god, this is something I would have never expected even in my wildest dreams. Super bad superheroes? I'M IN! Say no more because I'm already hooked. Give me, give me, give me, give me, give me, give me!

Numerous reactions while reading:

IMG-20150123-WA0016
WHAT A PROLOGUE! This is so frickin' good!

IMG-20150123-WA0011
LOL!

IMG-20150123-WA0017
Intriguing...

IMG-20150123-WA0010
WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD JUST HAPPENED?!

Final Reaction after reading:

IMG-20150123-WA0012
Ajkshdkjhsdajsdh!

So, this sequence tells you how I felt dur
Liz* Fashionably Late
Actual rating: 3.5 Stars
(Not sure if rounding up to 3 or 4 stars)

"...you have to help the heroes along."

Reviewing a Sanderson book feels like reviewing Austen, Tolkien or R.R Martin. You don't just review those authors without thinking twice of what to say.

I must admit this is my first Sanderson and I'm obviously not proud of it. I can tell this guy is an amazing writer, the world building was spot-on, the plot and twist at the end were mind-blowing and it felt like a comic with the moral di
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
Buddy read with a fabulous group of people - Robin (Bridge Four), Athena (Shardbearer), Armina, Gavin, Kat Stark, Evengy, Desinka, Alexa, Shandra, Annette, Nicholas, Ashley, Eon, Kristen, and Danae

On the
Reckoners Group Read Thread

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4.5 Stars

Because sometimes, you need to help the heroes along.

When I saw a bunch of my friends on Goodreads were planning a buddy read for this book, I decided to jump right in and I ended up having a blast with
Gavin
4.5 stars.

This was another great book by the ever dependable Brandon Sanderson. I knew there was a reason this guy was such a favorite of mine. It had everything you would expect from one of his books. Good world building, an interesting plot, likable and interesting characters, action, humor, romance, and even some surprise twists and turns along the way.

This was the tale of superheroes gone bad!. Ten years ago a mysterious new star, called Calamity, appeared in the sky and people started to d
Jonathan

There is more going on in Steelheart than one might think from a first glance. Initially marketed as a young adult novel, it is full of content that most mature individuals could enjoy and to me that is the mark of a strong novel. It helps that Brandon Sanderson uses his book to poke fun at the superhero genre and that his work is an enticing and thrilling ride to read - despite the. Yet, even with the pure fun and energy found in reading Steelheart there are enough deeper themes and thoughts fo
Marga
Where there are villains, there will be heroes. Just wait. They will come.

I have never read a Brandon Sanderson book before but I constantly see or hear his name on Goodreads. So when given the chance to buy his book, I grabbed it. I thought I wouldn't really liked this one seeing this wasn't the type of books I usually go for but what harm can it do if I read one, right?

Boy was I wrong. I was harmed from excessive fangirling. The prologue, guys!! I'm still at the freaking prologue and I thought
Alexa
What if instead of Superheroes and Supervillans, everyone with superpowers was evil?

Steelheart follows the story of David, who I have to admit is a wonderful character. He's quirky, a bit awkward and completely adorkable. For me it was impossible not to like him! The guy is obsessed with Epics in a very Princess Bride way, except instead of being like this:

is more like this:

Poor David.

He's also obsessed with making metaphors, even when he's really really bad at them.

“It’s okay,” I said. “I f
Danae
Group read/reread December 2014 with these awesome people: Robin, Athena, Armina, Gavin, Kat Stark, Evgeny, Desinka, Eon, Carole, Nicholas, Shandra, Ashley, Kristen, and oOSarahOo
^Please let me know if I've left anyone out!

I've been sitting here staring at the screen for about 5 minutes thinking how to put my enjoyment of this book into words. I can't.. I can't do it. Words fail me.

I'll never stop saying what a genius Brandon Sanderson is. He created an intriguing storyline, added wonderful char
Shandra
Group reread/read December 2014 with Robin (Bridge Four), Athena (Shardbearer), Armina, Gavin, Kat Stark, Evengy, Desinka, Alexa, Annette, Nicholas, Carole, Ashley, Eon, Kristen, Sh3lly, Sarah and Danae.

On the
Reckoners Group Read Thread.

Review for reread December 2014:

Actual rating: 5 I-Wish-I-Could-Give-More stars. No story spoilers.

This book makes me happy!!!

Giddy photo: Giddy giddy.gif

This book reminds me why I love reading!!!

Squee photo: tumblr_l6ij5unxoq1qa7t9a.gif

This book is perfection!!!

Happy dance photo: happy dance f0ym1c.gif

I was in love the first time I read this. I'm not sure how I lov
Eden
Brandon Sanderson's writing credentials are clear in this absolute prodigy of a first book. Steelhearthas what a debut couldn't: intricate, layered worldbuilding, a diverse cast of characters and beautiful, beautiful pacing. Seriously. The pacing. Sigh. Okay, let's start being coherent. *ahem*

David is seventeen and relatable; his past is tragic, but his practicality and ambition make him easy to read about, and his excitement over weapons and self-deprecating congeniality provide hilarious momen
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Steelheart was my first book by Brandon Sanderson, and now that I’ve finished it, I’m eager to read everything he’s ever written. 5th grade homework? Yes, please. Grocery list? Give it here. I really wish I’d discovered him ages ago! Have you guys been slacking off? It seems I’ve been missing out on a lot! Now I have to struggle and change my schedule to catch up.

I think it’s clear by now how much I enjoyed this first installment in the Reckoners series. To be fair, Steelheart is a perf
Impression Parade...: June 2015 - Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson 6 7 Jul 01, 2015 03:17PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson - Restarting June 24th 2015 76 116 Jun 27, 2015 05:15AM
Favorite reckoner? Who is it and why? 4 22 Jun 24, 2015 05:47AM
Steelheart 10 61 Jun 23, 2015 12:51PM
What would your Epic Name be? 5 49 Jun 23, 2015 12:48PM
Year of Cosmere : Steelheart!! 5 45 Jun 09, 2015 06:19PM
What did you think the weakness was? *Spoilers!* 9 61 May 21, 2015 12:44PM
  • The Autumn Republic (The Powder Mage, #3)
  • Warbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #3)
  • Tandem (Many-Worlds, #1)
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats, #1)
  • Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1)
  • Unfettered
  • Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar #2)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)
  • Midnight City (Conquered Earth, #1)
  • The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy, #1)
  • Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders, #3)
  • The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
  • Stranger (The Change, #1)
  • Boy Nobody (The Unknown Assassin, #1)
  • Inhuman (Fetch, #1)
January 2015 marks the release of Firefight , the sequel to Steelheart . When only evil people gain super powers and become tyrants, it's up to normal people to hunt them down. There is a free 5-chapter preview ebook of Steelheart that you should check out, with a corresponding sampler audiobook on Audible. The Firefight book tour in the US lasts throughout January.

Recent short releases are Leg
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Reckoners (3 books)
  • Firefight (Reckoners, #2)
  • Calamity (Reckoners, #3)
The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) Elantris (Elantris, #1)

“Never throw the first punch. If you have to throw the second, try to make sure they don't get up for a third.” 148 likes
“Sometimes, son," my father said, prying my fingers free, "you have to help the heroes along.” 93 likes