Start by marking “Material Witness (Heroes of Providence, #1)” as Want to Read:
Material Witness (Heroes of Providence, #1)

Material Witness (Heroes of Providence #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Who does she trust when she’s living the real life horror of one of her crime novels…

ebook
Published 2012

To ask other readers questions about Material Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Material Witness

The BookWhisperer
“Material Witness” action did not have a moment of rest throughout the entire book. In the first chapter, the bar is blown to pieces by bullets in a shooting and it just continues that action until the very last page. So if the action isn’t something that draws you in, maybe the love story behind it will. Cassie is the star witness to the shooting and requests Jake to be the agent in charge of guarding her. But he does it all too well and Cassie starts to develop feelings for him. However, Jake...more
Bette Stanek
WooHoo! I've found another author of crime novels that I really like. This book was non-stop action.

Cassie is crime novelist and knows her stuff. One night she's doing research in a seedy bar and the next thing she knows she's in the middle of chaos. Jake is on an undercover assignment when he sees Cassie at the other end of the bar. He knows instantly she's not the prostitute she's posing as. What the heck is she doing here? A few minutes after he approaches her and confirms what he already kn...more
Pamela
Talk about cliche. Like you couldn't figure out right from the start what was going to happen. Sucked from beginning to end. I mean seriously, you tell the cops and FBI agents, who are trying to keep you alive, that you'll go ahead with their plan if it's a certain cop who protects you and no one else. No, it doesn't look too obvious that you're looking to get laid - not! Oh, only one bed available? Oh, whatever shall we do? Give me a break! What a mindless piece of drivel.
John Ausmus

A light crime novel that was an enjoyable read. Very predictable all the way through but the like able characters were a joy to hang with. This book is a great "beach read" book for the summer.
Cathy Rodgers
This book was an "okay" read. Not great, but not horrible. Overall, the plot was predictable. But, it was free & this is a genre that I usually enjoy - so I'm not too disappointed.
Judy
Material Witness by L.A. Mondello
Cassie Alvarez writes crime novels but suddenly she feels like a character in one of her own books. She went to Rory’s bar dressed as a hooker to research how her character would think. While talking to the hunky rough and tough guy, gun fire erupts, she becomes an eyewitness and her world turns upside down. Deja vu from eight years earlier all over again.

Detective Jake Santos is undercover but it seems the meeting he planned won’t be happening tonight at Rory’s....more
Elizabeth (Stuffed Shelves)
What is the book about?

Bestselling crime novelist, Cassie Alvarez, aka Cassie Lang, had murder on her mind when she walked into Rory's Bar under dressed and under cover to research her latest crime novel. Researching the cool, blue-eyed and dashingly handsome man at the end of the bar stirred her senses more than she wanted to admit. But was this man of leather armor all he appeared to be?
Playing White Knight t...more
Christi Snow
My Review:

I am a sucker for a good romantic suspense book and this one was definitely a good one. I think one of the things that makes this book so good is the fact that Cassie is an author. In fact, that's how she ends up in this mess. She's dressed as a hooker in a sleazy bar looking for research for her latest crime novel, but she gets much more than she expects.

Jake is a cop. He's in the bar meeting one of his informants who doesn't show. Instead he finds Cassie and quickly realizes that she...more
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This romantic crime story is exciting and steamy. The story is really about Cassie and Jake, and the strength of these characters is what makes the book so good. Cassie is a crime writer who understands how the legal system works. She’s strong and smart and isn’t afraid to stand up for herself and her rights. She’s sassy and witty and is one smart cookie.

Jake is a sweet, protective alpha male. He’s swoonworthy, and the sexual tension between him and Cassie is palpable. At times this tension over...more
Melissa Feist
Loved it.

Romantic suspense at its best. Had me from the start. Wounded hero and sassy heroine, great sparks, tender moments and a few twists along the way. I didn't figure out the mystery, which I love, until it was all wrapped up. HEA...perfect.
Barbara Allen
Review

Review

I enjoyed this book very much. I loved how the major characters reacted to each other. I will be reading this book again in a couple of months.
Barbara
What a great read! Full of romance and suspense and you don't know who to trust. Cassie is a novelist, and while working on her latest book goes undercover as a hooker at Rory's Bar. Jake is an undercover cop, working on a sting, but being sidetracked by Cassie (who he figures out quickly is in the wrong place at the wrong time.) A shoot-out ensues and Cassie ends up saving Jake's life. Once Cassie's name is leaked to the press, Cassie's life is in obvious danger, and not knowing who to trust, J...more
Marti
This turned out to be less interesting than I thought it would be. The crime part of it was good, but it got too bogged doen in sex scenes, etc. A crime writer dresses up in a sleazy outfit and goes to a disreputable bar, where she witnesses a murder. This is where she hooks up with a conveniently single sexy cop. Attempts are made on her life--and the cop protects her. There are some interesting developments--and more sex. It is a nook book--817 pages--but doesn't go that long--maybe an excerpt...more
Ally Cabella
This was a quick read. Finished in one afternoon. Overall I think the plot was good. Some parts were a little predictable. There were enough twists to keep you guessing but I think some parts just kind of skimmed the surface. There could have been more to draw you into the story better. Still it was a good read and I enjoyed it.
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
This romantic suspense book was full of action. From the opening scene of bullets flying in a bar killing many to the very end with the confrontation of who had been betraying the cops and FBI.
Linda
was pretty good. there were many scenes that were suspenseful. would read another if the character jake santos was in it.
Linda
I loved this book. It was fast paced and had some surprising turns. Great book to read on vacation this summer.
Merle
Not a bad story but a lot of grammatical errors in the expositroy parts, not the dialogue. Maybe a new edition?
Christina Woodworth
I was really impressed with this book. I would love to see more books with this series.
Tracy
liked hero and heroine. story felt rushed and the suspense choppy.
D
The story line was predictable but still makes a good read.
Dan
Loved the book. Its a mystery and a real good love story.
Judy
This is a romance/crime novel, light but entertaining.
Kathy
Enjoyable book with some exciting moments.
Dan
Very good book, kept me interested.
Jacqueline
Really liked the suspense.
Connie V
Was quite entertaining.
Wanda
Wanda marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014