Start by marking “Material Witness (Heroes of Providence, #1)” as Want to Read:
Material Witness (Heroes of Providence, #1)

Material Witness (Heroes of Providence #1)

Who does she trust when she’s living the real life horror of one of her crime novels…

ebook
Published 2012

To ask other readers questions about Material Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Material Witness

Pamela
Oct 02, 2012 Pamela rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed, kindle
Talk about cliche. Like you couldn't figure out right from the start what was going to happen. Sucked from beginning to end. I mean seriously, you tell the cops and FBI agents, who are trying to keep you alive, that you'll go ahead with their plan if it's a certain cop who protects you and no one else. No, it doesn't look too obvious that you're looking to get laid - not! Oh, only one bed available? Oh, whatever shall we do? Give me a break! What a mindless piece of drivel.
The BookWhisperer
Aug 07, 2012 The BookWhisperer rated it liked it
“Material Witness” action did not have a moment of rest throughout the entire book. In the first chapter, the bar is blown to pieces by bullets in a shooting and it just continues that action until the very last page. So if the action isn’t something that draws you in, maybe the love story behind it will. Cassie is the star witness to the shooting and requests Jake to be the agent in charge of guarding her. But he does it all too well and Cassie starts to develop feelings for him. However, Jake ...more
John Ausmus
Jun 27, 2012 John Ausmus rated it really liked it

A light crime novel that was an enjoyable read. Very predictable all the way through but the like able characters were a joy to hang with. This book is a great "beach read" book for the summer.
Cathy Rodgers
This book was an "okay" read. Not great, but not horrible. Overall, the plot was predictable. But, it was free & this is a genre that I usually enjoy - so I'm not too disappointed.
Ellen White
Nov 17, 2016 Ellen White rated it it was amazing
MATERIAL.WITNESS by Lisa.Mondello. I love a story that begin with good description, and this one was great. You can picture Cassie,in a dress to short,tight, and she is so out of place in this bar. She doing research for her novel, and Maureen, her agent said this is what she needed to do. Undercover detective is Jake, and he knows at once, that Cassie is out of place, as his grandmother would be. Next thing everything breaks loose, she survived. And FBI wants to kept their witness happy. She fe ...more
Kim
Nov 25, 2016 Kim rated it it was amazing
I received this book free from Amazon and I am voluntarily writing a review. What happens when a undercover police detective and a writer of crime novels witness a mob hit and are on the run for their lives? A romantic suspense that you cannot put down.
Cynthia
Jan 15, 2017 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Witness

A wonderful story about a suspense writer at the wrong bar at the wrong time. He's suppose to meet his informant. She is people watching for as new novel. What happens next makes for as wonderful book.
Debbie Birchman
Dec 22, 2016 Debbie Birchman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great storyline

Loved these characters! Good suspense and sweet heat. Having the heroine be an author of crime novels allows her to be helpful in more ways than just being a star witness, and she even gets to use her self-defense moves!
Coral
Dec 08, 2016 Coral rated it really liked it
Plot: 3/5 (simple and predictable)
Characterisation: 4/5
Prose: 4/5
How much I enjoyed the book: 4/5
Juanita E. Arp
Nov 24, 2016 Juanita E. Arp rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book and can't wait for the next one. I received a FREE ARC copy to read volunteerly for an honest review.
patricia fay
Jan 13, 2017 patricia fay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!

What to say!, loved this suspense romance novel!, kept you wondering all the way through, who were the good guys and who were the nastys!!, but you knew that Jake was the real ticket!, absolutely could not put this down! and when I had to felt deprived!! a must read!
Cat
Dec 23, 2016 Cat rated it really liked it
Very exciting read. Lots of names to keep track of and I kept second guessing every little thing that happened but that was part of the fun.
Christi Snow
Aug 05, 2012 Christi Snow rated it it was amazing
My Review:

I am a sucker for a good romantic suspense book and this one was definitely a good one. I think one of the things that makes this book so good is the fact that Cassie is an author. In fact, that's how she ends up in this mess. She's dressed as a hooker in a sleazy bar looking for research for her latest crime novel, but she gets much more than she expects.

Jake is a cop. He's in the bar meeting one of his informants who doesn't show. Instead he finds Cassie and quickly realizes that she
Jessica
Jul 29, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
It was ok, nothing special. I was expecting a lot more action and excitement but it seemed more of a whodunit story. Don't get me wrong there was still some action but I guess I was hoping more for an "on the run" storyline and some relationship development between Cassie and Jake. It started out really good and had potential to do more than just a surprise attack and an uninteresting villain. It was a shame because I liked Cassie's personality and Jake was intriguing but there wasn't enough tim ...more
Elizabeth (Stuffed Shelves)
Aug 02, 2012 Elizabeth (Stuffed Shelves) rated it it was amazing
What is the book about?

Bestselling crime novelist, Cassie Alvarez, aka Cassie Lang, had murder on her mind when she walked into Rory's Bar under dressed and under cover to research her latest crime novel. Researching the cool, blue-eyed and dashingly handsome man at the end of the bar stirred her senses more than she wanted to admit. But was this man of leather armor all he appeared to be?
Playing White Knight t
Heli - So Many Books - So Little Time
Judy
Jul 04, 2012 Judy rated it it was amazing
Material Witness by L.A. Mondello
Cassie Alvarez writes crime novels but suddenly she feels like a character in one of her own books. She went to Rory’s bar dressed as a hooker to research how her character would think. While talking to the hunky rough and tough guy, gun fire erupts, she becomes an eyewitness and her world turns upside down. Deja vu from eight years earlier all over again.

Detective Jake Santos is undercover but it seems the meeting he planned won’t be happening tonight at Rory’s.
Bette Stanek
Apr 05, 2014 Bette Stanek rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
WooHoo! I've found another author of crime novels that I really like. This book was non-stop action.

Cassie is crime novelist and knows her stuff. One night she's doing research in a seedy bar and the next thing she knows she's in the middle of chaos. Jake is on an undercover assignment when he sees Cassie at the other end of the bar. He knows instantly she's not the prostitute she's posing as. What the heck is she doing here? A few minutes after he approaches her and confirms what he already kn
Yvonne
Apr 13, 2016 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of romance and suspense
I always know that if a book is written by Lisa Mondello, it’s going to be a winner. This one definitely didn’t disappoint me. What surprised me is that it was written 10 years ago, and even then her writing was awesome.
The story centers around detective Jake Santos, and Cassie Alvarez, a novelist that writes crime stories. Researching for one of her books, Cassie goes to a seedy barr dressed as a prostitute. There she meets Jake, who is also undercover for a case he has been working on for a lo
Deb
Nov 19, 2016 Deb rated it really liked it
To start off with, it was hilarious, the extremes that a writer will go to, to research a story! Cassie , a writer, is siting at a bar in a seedy neighborhood, dressed as a hooker. Jake, an undercover cop, with an eye for reading people, can tell she's not really a hooker and decides to get her safely out of the bar before something happens to her.
Although the storyline from A to Z is predictable, it's the intensity and laughter, the who done it and situations they find themselves in that kept
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Aug 10, 2012 Sarah (Workaday Reads) rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
This romantic crime story is exciting and steamy. The story is really about Cassie and Jake, and the strength of these characters is what makes the book so good. Cassie is a crime writer who understands how the legal system works. She’s strong and smart and isn’t afraid to stand up for herself and her rights. She’s sassy and witty and is one smart cookie.

Jake is a sweet, protective alpha male. He’s swoonworthy, and the sexual tension between him and Cassie is palpable. At times this tension over
Barbara
Jun 20, 2013 Barbara rated it liked it
What a great read! Full of romance and suspense and you don't know who to trust. Cassie is a novelist, and while working on her latest book goes undercover as a hooker at Rory's Bar. Jake is an undercover cop, working on a sting, but being sidetracked by Cassie (who he figures out quickly is in the wrong place at the wrong time.) A shoot-out ensues and Cassie ends up saving Jake's life. Once Cassie's name is leaked to the press, Cassie's life is in obvious danger, and not knowing who to trust, J ...more
Bettye McKee
Nov 20, 2016 Bettye McKee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first time to read this author

After reading a sample, I was quick to download this book and start reading. I seldom read romantic suspense, but this was really a great story. As for the characters, I loved Cassie but not Maureen or Charlotte. The hero, Jake, was wonderful, but I disliked Kevin and most of the other male characters.

The pace was just right to let you read right through the book. There was plenty of action in the right places and, yes, suspense because you didn't know who to tru
Marti
Mar 01, 2013 Marti rated it it was ok
This turned out to be less interesting than I thought it would be. The crime part of it was good, but it got too bogged doen in sex scenes, etc. A crime writer dresses up in a sleazy outfit and goes to a disreputable bar, where she witnesses a murder. This is where she hooks up with a conveniently single sexy cop. Attempts are made on her life--and the cop protects her. There are some interesting developments--and more sex. It is a nook book--817 pages--but doesn't go that long--maybe an excerpt ...more
Page
Jun 12, 2016 Page rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Cassie came across as caring but she didn't have "treat me like a doormat" written across her forehead.

She was scared when the situation warranted it, but she strong when she had to be. I loved that. Although Jake was in many ways a knight in shining armor, Cassie could still hold her own.

I loved the concept of the book and in some ways seemed totally believable.

I'm hoping Book 2 is on its way.
BJ Todd
Aug 18, 2016 BJ Todd rated it really liked it
Material Witness by L A (Lisa) Mondello reminded me of some of the “cop” shows I love to watch on TV but more depth and detail so your right there with the characters. I enjoyed the fact that Cassie was an author that researched her genre seriously. I love romantic suspense with many facets going on at the same time to keep you on the edge of your seat and no loose ends. This definitely fits that bill. Look forward to SAFE HAVEN.
Ally Cabella
Jun 30, 2013 Ally Cabella rated it really liked it
This was a quick read. Finished in one afternoon. Overall I think the plot was good. Some parts were a little predictable. There were enough twists to keep you guessing but I think some parts just kind of skimmed the surface. There could have been more to draw you into the story better. Still it was a good read and I enjoyed it.
Lesley
Nov 24, 2016 Lesley rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, with lots of twists and turns and a fabulous hero and heroine. I loved it!

I received a complimentary copy of this title and voluntarily reviewed it. I was not compensated for my review, and I was not required to write a positive review. The opinion expressed here is my own.
Melissa Feist
Oct 15, 2014 Melissa Feist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

Romantic suspense at its best. Had me from the start. Wounded hero and sassy heroine, great sparks, tender moments and a few twists along the way. I didn't figure out the mystery, which I love, until it was all wrapped up. HEA...perfect.
Barbara Allen
Aug 15, 2014 Barbara Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review

Review

I enjoyed this book very much. I loved how the major characters reacted to each other. I will be reading this book again in a couple of months.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Thief
  • The True Beast (Full Moon Mercy, #2)
  • Mind Reader (The Reunited Hearts, #2)
  • The Innocent (FBI Psychics, #4.5)
  • Hijacked (The Appalachian Foothills #1)
  • Watching Over the Watcher
  • Saving Scott (Pine Hills Police, #3)
  • Stutter Creek
  • Under Currents
  • Maddy's Floor (Psychic Visions, #3)
  • Against The Wind (Florida Sands Romantic Suspense, #1)
  • The Defender (Jackson Hole #6)
  • Sweet Baby
  • Devil's Lake
  • The Bobcat's Tale (Blue Moon Junction, #2)
  • Unseen
  • A Sense of Duty (Dark Horse Guardians #1)
  • Secrets in the Shadows (Shadows Collection/Leroy's Sins, #1)

Heroes of Providence (6 books)
  • Safe Haven (Heroes of Providence #2)
  • Reckless Hours (Heroes of Providence #3)
  • Desperate Hours (Heroes of Providence #4)
  • Final Hours (Heroes of Providence #5)
  • Cold Harbor (Heroes of Providence Book 6)