Start by marking “The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2)

The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy #2)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  15,464 ratings  ·  2,044 reviews
A kingdom teetering on the brink of destruction. A king gone missing. Who will survive? Find out in the highly anticipated sequel to Jennifer A. Nielsen's blockbuster THE FALSE PRINCE!

Just weeks after Jaron has taken the throne, an assassination attempt forces him into a deadly situation. Rumors of a coming war are winding their way between the castle walls, and Jaron feel
Published March 1st 2013 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Runaway King, please sign up.

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadProdigy by Marie Lu
YA Novels of 2013
84th out of 1,524 books — 10,626 voters
The School for Good and Evil by Soman ChainaniThe Runaway King by Jennifer A. NielsenRump by Liesl ShurtliffThe Ability by M.M. VaughanThe Clay Lion by Amalie Jahn
Middle Grade Novels of 2013
2nd out of 354 books — 677 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Nielsen
Oct 05, 2013 Jennifer Nielsen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I admit it. I'm biased. This was a lot of fun to write, and I hope you have fun reading it!

Mostly I wanted to thank those of you who have read this book and been so enthusiastic about this series. Every one of you who has picked up the book has my gratitude.
Mandy
Just... Imogen and Jaron.

..Why this star-crossed lovers situation?! Why Jennifer Nielsen?!?!?!?!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

As if I haven't suffered enough from Percy and Annabeth at the end of The Mark of Athena. Sheesh.

Princess Amarinda is a nice young lady and all, I mean we simply cannot hate her. But come on... we all know Jaron and Imogen are MEANT to be together.

They are the couple right next to Percy and Annabeth. That's right, PERCABETH.

Now, I think Jennifer Nielsen did a wonderful job at recapturing Jaron's stu
Experiment BL626
After the awesomeness that was book 1 — read my review for book here, I held high expectation for book 2. Woah did I regret doing that. Book 2 exercised my suspension of disbelief hard. Immediately, there were signs portending disappointment. Towards the ending, they bloomed like prickly weeds, and I was left with a rather bitter taste as if I literally ate a weed.

+ the protagonist
Jaron bugged me. He was rude to the people who didn’t deserve it. No, I did not care it was intended to distance and
Madison ♡
Curse you Jennifer A. Nielsen. Curse you for ripping out my heart and stepping on it and making me die a sad, bookless death. Ugh.
Anyyyway, OH MY GOSH THIS BOOK WAS PERFECTION.
Like, seriously.
Okay, let's start with characters. Roden actually showed dimension! We didn't see much of Tobias, but I liked him when I read about him. Let's just say this: WHY DO ALL MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS BECOME EVIL OR DIE? Good thing my favorite character decided to be awesome in the end.
Now, in my review for The
Annie
Flashback to 2012: The False Prince was coming out, and I really, really wanted to read it. It had been a long time since I'd been so excited for the release of a non-sequel book. And when I finally read it, it was awesome. Not five-stars awesome, but pretty close.

And then this book happened. It's rare for a sequel to improve on its predecessor, but Jennifer Nielson pulled it off. I applaud her for that. At this rate, the finale of this series will be utterly fabulous.

This book is just so muc
Daphne
My reaction when I was accepted by Netgalley:

photo tumblr_mh3m8c7JlD1rn7wkmo1_400_zpsc9a57973.gif

The first novel in the Ascendance Trilogy, The False Prince, literally changed my life forever. Every time I was caught in a sticky situation, I immediately asked myself, "What would Sage do?" In fact, I was surprised that I even had the ability to talk coherently or function like a normal human being after I finished it. Jennifer Nielsen is that good! So when I saw that the sequel already had a epic name and donned a simple yet intriguing cover, I w
TL
Buddyread with the lovely Melissa starting on the 14th :)

Tried but this one, for me anyway.... failed to live up to the charm of the first book. It started off okay but I got frustrated with some of the writing and decisions Jaron made. It did start to get more interesting once Jaron's plan came into being but by then I just couldn't anymore.

Aah well, on to the next
Lindsey Rey
[4.5 Stars]
Conor
Grace
It wasn't a good sign when I hit a scene a few pages into the book and actually put it down to sigh in disappointment. After really loving the False Prince, how could I be so disenchanted with the Runaway King?

In the first book, Sage is interesting because he has some sort of secret agenda that crops up in weird actions and inexplicable skill sets. It's great, and I was hooked. But here? Here he is just rude and stupid. He does dumb things supposedly with a master plan in mind, and I think it's
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
I am truly impressed by this series so far! The trilogy is definitely darker and more complex than the typical middle grade fantasy. Can't wait to read the last book!
Melody
Jun 27, 2012 Melody marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I for real need to read this book. I have no doubts it'll do the first justice and even surpass The False Prince.
Melissa
Buddy Read with TL :)

*3.5 stars*

So... this was a tricky one to rate. It was EXTREMELY slow to get into. I'm talking, first half of the book bored me so much that I considered giving up. But, I carried on, and I enjoyed the ending a lot. Which brought it from a 2 star book to a 3.5.

Jaron was kind of an annoying character. In fact many of the characters were annoying. I don't feel any really connection to any of them, except Tobias, Mott and now Fink and Harlowe. The rest are just meh. I don't ca
Mike
If The False Prince existed when I was in middle school, it probably would have changed my attitude towards reading. When I read, it was because I had to. Both books and fun never entered my equation unless the thought was something like, "Wow, this book is sure keeping me from having fun." Luckily, my patience has grown some and now I can appreciate different types of stories. What I would have done for a False Prince.

Sage was the character I needed. In the hands of Jennifer Nielsen, he fulfil
Veronica
This has to be one of my favorite sequels. Runaway King does not disappoint. Jaron faces opposition from his regents, making it difficult to accomplish anything. He doesn't have their respect and they see him as no more than a child, not fit to rule. His captain of the guard doesn't even trust his decisions. Thus Jaron is left with no choice after an assassination attempt, he must leave the castle and leave the ruling of his kingdom to a steward.

Jaron has no interest in sitting by and letting s
Lindsey Lynn
If you haven't read the first book do so!!!! it is wonderful :D This started off right where The False Prince ended. So much suspense and thrilling action and pirates! Loved the writing as always. It did end on a pretty big new plot for the next book! I cannot wait to get my hands on it.
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
Such a disappointment. It was deadly dull and lacking in much intrigue, and a huge letdown after the first book. Book one was wonderful, I was completely absorbed in the plotting and the competition, and the strays were interesting characters themselves. The scheming and plots that made the first book great were lacking here, I felt, and this was a chore to finish. Jaron and Roden bugged me so much. I hated their relationship. I also felt that Jaron made some decisions that were completely lacki ...more
Small Review
Originally posted at Small Review

4.5 stars, Special Shelf

Is it as good as the first book?

Well, no.

I know, I'm disappointed too. The False Prince was filled with incredible tension, twists, and this underlying feeling that Sage was always ten steps ahead of me while I knew I was only able to figure out about five of those steps.

The Runaway King didn't have that. The tension I loved so much just wasn't there the same way. The situation was dire, sure, but something was missing.

Also, the pacing w
Keri-Anne
I don't often mark the ARCs as read before the finished book comes out but I loved this one so much I had to write a review. I fully believed it would be difficult to top The False Prince but the author did. Sage's voice is stronger, the adventure very intense and it all ends with another twist, making me regret I read it so fast that I have wait even longer now for the next book.
Shoshana
I still can't figure out if this is middle or young adult.

EVEN BETTER than its predecessor, this book knocked my socks off. KNOCKED THEM OFF.

These aren't books that leave you with an undying message, quotes or morals you'll look back on for years. But they are fun. Fun, adventure, funny, and well-written. I gobbled this one up in one day.

Yes, gobbled.
Rapunzel
3 stars… maybe dropping

Ow. How disappointing. Ladies and gentleman, we have a classic case of 2nd-book-in-series-suckage . The plot was worse, the writing was worse, the character progression didn't exist and the whole thing turned out laughably predictable.

description

Plot:

So our story begins a month after Jaron has been crowned King of Carthya. But, unsurprisingly, he's taking his duties quite lightly - he's trying to protect his country, not be the nations favourite royal. But within the first tw
Bethany
Adrianna
A great continuation of this story, without suffering from most trilogies' "middle-book-syndrome".
Everything was steady: character development, plot progression, just enough action everywhere needed, and a decent cliffhanger. The only reason I haven't yet tackled the 3rd book (since it's out now that I've decided to write something for book #2) is because I'm not ready to say goodbye to anyone.
If you're reading this and by chance haven't read the 1st book yet, do yourself a favor and read it.
Kaiden A
This is an awesome book and I recommend that you read this because it is ten times more exiting than "The False Prince"! It will have you reading through the night!
Jessica
The first and last bits of this book were excellent. It starts and ends with a bang and the writing was much more polished in those parts. The middle went on a bit and there were several flaws that I think were editing mistakes, like conversations where people's responses didn't quite match up, as though one person's dialogue had changed but the response hadn't been fixed.

I was also longing for a bit more world-building. The first book was a perfectly good Missing Heir story and very insular, w
Tessa
Finished this one. Final conclusion: another dropped series. If the first book left me uncertain about the worth of this series and that it might turn out to be a good one in the long run, this book completely shattered that illusion.

I'm disappointed in the way the author chose to tell this story.
The character's strongest power is boldness and a bucket (or more) of luck. (view spoiler)
Liviania
Warning: THE FALSE PRINCE has a bit of a twist, and I'll try to avoid it, but be wary of reading this review if you haven't read the first book.

Jaron is now the king of Carthya. War is imminent. There are few people that he can trust - even fewer in positions of power. He must marry Amarinda, but he neither knows nor loves her. She's not very excited about it either considering the fact she cared for his deceased older brother. When the pirates threaten Jaron, his regents decide he must go into
Barb Middleton
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

Young Jaron - Sage that was - has ascended to the throne and accepted his rightful place as the ruler of Carthya. On the day of his family's funeral, Jaron, sick of his preening and power-hungry regents, decides to skip the services and instead takes to his gardens for time to reflect, alone. Unfortunately for Jaron, he is ambushed by an assassination attempt from none other than Roden, the former friend alongside whom Jaron trained as one of nobleman Bev
Zurlo Enrico
This book was a disappointment. I hated this as much as I liked the first one. The writing style was still good at least, but the plot that was really interesting in the false prince here is catastrophic.

The main character suddenly becomes an idiot making illogical decisions constantly and coming out alive thanks to the infamous "plot armor".

Geography: how small are these countries? I mean you can easily travel a whole country in a day ride. You can say that is the author choice to make small na
  •  The Water Castle
  • Hide and Seek (Capture the Flag, #2)
  • The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle (The League of Princes, #2)
  • Hattie Ever After (Hattie, #2)
  • Jinx
  • The Center of Everything
  • Will in Scarlet
  • The Lost Kingdom
  • Seven Stories Up
  • The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp
  • Pi in the Sky
  • The Whispering Skull (Lockwood & Co., #2)
  • The Real Boy
  • The Mark of the Dragonfly
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Henry and the Cannons: An Extraordinary True Story of the American Revolution
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
Jennifer lives at the base of a very tall mountain in Northern Utah with her husband, three children, and a naughty puppy. She loves the smell of rainy days, hot chocolate, and old books, preferably all at once. She is a former speech teacher, theater director, and enjoyed a brief but disastrous career as a door-to-door pollster. In her spare time, Jennifer tends to panic, wondering what she has f ...more
More about Jennifer A. Nielsen...

The Ascendance Trilogy (3 books)
  • The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1)
  • The Shadow Throne (The Ascendance Trilogy, #3)
The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1) The Shadow Throne (The Ascendance Trilogy, #3) Mark of the Thief (Mark of the Thief, #1) Behind Enemy Lines (Infinity Ring, #6) Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)

“Everyone gets scared at times. It's only the fools who won't admit it.” 112 likes
“Above all else, I think that you are a compulsive liar."
My laughter was tense, but sincere. "Hardly. In fact, I consider myself a compulsive truth teller. It's only that everyone else seems compelled to misunderstand me.”
106 likes