The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2)

The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy #2)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  7,570 ratings  ·  1,337 reviews
A kingdom teetering on the brink of destruction. A king gone missing. Who will survive? Find out in the highly anticipated sequel to Jennifer A. Nielsen's blockbuster THE FALSE PRINCE!

Just weeks after Jaron has taken the throne, an assassination attempt forces him into a deadly situation. Rumors of a coming war are winding their way between the castle walls, and Jaron feel...more
Published March 1st 2013 by Scholastic Press

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
85th out of 1,419 books — 9,861 voters
The Runaway King by Jennifer A. NielsenThe School for Good and Evil by Soman ChainaniThe False Prince by Jennifer A. NielsenRump by Liesl ShurtliffThe Ability by M.M. Vaughan
Middle Grade Novels of 2013
1st out of 304 books — 532 voters

More lists with this book...

Mandy
Just... Imogen and Jaron.

..Why this star-crossed lovers situation?! Why Jennifer Nielsen?!?!?!?!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

As if I haven't suffered enough from Percy and Annabeth at the end of The Mark of Athena. Sheesh.

Princess Amarinda is a nice young lady and all, I mean we simply cannot hate her. But come on... we all know Jaron and Imogen are MEANT to be together.

They are the couple right next to Percy and Annabeth. That's right, PERCABETH.

Now, I think Jennifer Nielsen did a wonderful job at recapturing Jaron's stu...more
Jennifer Nielsen
Oct 05, 2013 Jennifer Nielsen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I admit it. I'm biased. This was a lot of fun to write, and I hope you have fun reading it!

Mostly I wanted to thank those of you who have read this book and been so enthusiastic about this series. Every one of you who has picked up the book has my gratitude.
Experiment BL626
After the awesomeness that was book 1 — read my review for book here, I held high expectation for book 2. Woah did I regret doing that. Book 2 exercised my suspension of disbelief hard. Immediately, there were signs portending disappointment. Towards the ending, they bloomed like prickly weeds, and I was left with a rather bitter taste as if I literally ate a weed.

+ the protagonist
Jaron bugged me. He was rude to the people who didn’t deserve it. No, I did not care it was intended to distance and...more
Monica :)
Mar 13, 2013 Monica :) marked it as to-read
I need this novel like ...now! I absolutely loved Book 1, The False Prince, and after that whole thing I'm pretty sure THINGS WILL GO DOWN. Jennifer? Please write faster!!

Update:
Woah! There's a cover? Wait. Hold up. "Flee the throne to keep the crown?" WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

It's released:
The fact that it's out and I haven't gotten my hands on it. COME TO MMEEEEE.
Annie
Flashback to 2012: The False Prince was coming out, and I really, really wanted to read it. It had been a long time since I'd been so excited for the release of a non-sequel book. And when I finally read it, it was awesome. Not five-stars awesome, but pretty close.

And then this book happened. It's rare for a sequel to improve on its predecessor, but Jennifer Nielson pulled it off. I applaud her for that. At this rate, the finale of this series will be utterly fabulous.

This book is just so much...more
Madison ♡
Curse you Jennifer A. Nielsen. Curse you for ripping out my heart and stepping on it and making me die a sad, bookless death. Ugh.
Anyyyway, OH MY GOSH THIS BOOK WAS PERFECTION.
Like, seriously.
Okay, let's start with characters. Roden actually showed dimension! We didn't see much of Tobias, but I liked him when I read about him. Let's just say this: WHY DO ALL MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS BECOME EVIL OR DIE? Good thing my favorite character decided to be awesome in the end.
Now, in my review for The...more
Daphne
My reaction when I was accepted by Netgalley:

photo tumblr_mh3m8c7JlD1rn7wkmo1_400_zpsc9a57973.gif

The first novel in the Ascendance Trilogy, The False Prince, literally changed my life forever. Every time I was caught in a sticky situation, I immediately asked myself, "What would Sage do?" In fact, I was surprised that I even had the ability to talk coherently or function like a normal human being after I finished it. Jennifer Nielsen is that good! So when I saw that the sequel already had a epic name and donned a simple yet intriguing cover, I w...more
Grace
It wasn't a good sign when I hit a scene a few pages into the book and actually put it down to sigh in disappointment. After really loving the False Prince, how could I be so disenchanted with the Runaway King?

In the first book, Sage is interesting because he has some sort of secret agenda that crops up in weird actions and inexplicable skill sets. It's great, and I was hooked. But here? Here he is just rude and stupid. He does dumb things supposedly with a master plan in mind, and I think it's...more
Melody
Jun 27, 2012 Melody marked it as to-read
I for real need to read this book. I have no doubts it'll do the first justice and even surpass The False Prince.
Mike
If The False Prince existed when I was in middle school, it probably would have changed my attitude towards reading. When I read, it was because I had to. Both books and fun never entered my equation unless the thought was something like, "Wow, this book is sure keeping me from having fun." Luckily, my patience has grown some and now I can appreciate different types of stories. What I would have done for a False Prince.

Sage was the character I needed. In the hands of Jennifer Nielsen, he fulfil...more
Veronica
This has to be one of my favorite sequels. Runaway King does not disappoint. Jaron faces opposition from his regents, making it difficult to accomplish anything. He doesn't have their respect and they see him as no more than a child, not fit to rule. His captain of the guard doesn't even trust his decisions. Thus Jaron is left with no choice after an assassination attempt, he must leave the castle and leave the ruling of his kingdom to a steward.

Jaron has no interest in sitting by and letting s...more
Bethany
Adrianna
A great continuation of this story, without suffering from most trilogies' "middle-book-syndrome".
Everything was steady: character development, plot progression, just enough action everywhere needed, and a decent cliffhanger. The only reason I haven't yet tackled the 3rd book (since it's out now that I've decided to write something for book #2) is because I'm not ready to say goodbye to anyone.
If you're reading this and by chance haven't read the 1st book yet, do yourself a favor and read it....more
Keri-Anne
I don't often mark the ARCs as read before the finished book comes out but I loved this one so much I had to write a review. I fully believed it would be difficult to top The False Prince but the author did. Sage's voice is stronger, the adventure very intense and it all ends with another twist, making me regret I read it so fast that I have wait even longer now for the next book.
Shoshana
I still can't figure out if this is middle or young adult.

EVEN BETTER than its predecessor, this book knocked my socks off. KNOCKED THEM OFF.

These aren't books that leave you with an undying message, quotes or morals you'll look back on for years. But they are fun. Fun, adventure, funny, and well-written. I gobbled this one up in one day.

Yes, gobbled.
Small Review
Originally posted at Small Review

4.5 stars, Special Shelf

Is it as good as the first book?

Well, no.

I know, I'm disappointed too. The False Prince was filled with incredible tension, twists, and this underlying feeling that Sage was always ten steps ahead of me while I knew I was only able to figure out about five of those steps.

The Runaway King didn't have that. The tension I loved so much just wasn't there the same way. The situation was dire, sure, but something was missing.

Also, the pacing wa...more
Liviania
Warning: THE FALSE PRINCE has a bit of a twist, and I'll try to avoid it, but be wary of reading this review if you haven't read the first book.

Jaron is now the king of Carthya. War is imminent. There are few people that he can trust - even fewer in positions of power. He must marry Amarinda, but he neither knows nor loves her. She's not very excited about it either considering the fact she cared for his deceased older brother. When the pirates threaten Jaron, his regents decide he must go into...more
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

Young Jaron - Sage that was - has ascended to the throne and accepted his rightful place as the ruler of Carthya. On the day of his family's funeral, Jaron, sick of his preening and power-hungry regents, decides to skip the services and instead takes to his gardens for time to reflect, alone. Unfortunately for Jaron, he is ambushed by an assassination attempt from none other than Roden, the former friend alongside whom Jaron trained as one of nobleman Bev...more
Celeste_pewter
Jocelyn
Mar 15, 2013 Jocelyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jocelyn by: Meeeeeee
Brilliant, as expected. Such a tightly and crisply edited plot, entertaining dialogue, and deliberate pacing. If every YA book was written as well as this, I doubt there'd be so many people who hate young adult novels. The ending was a little too neat, but still...wow. And huge relief after Brandon Sanderson's Hero of Ages.

If I ever come up with the right words to describe this book, I'll write a review. If not, then that's no surprise.
Joelle
What do you mean I have to wait to read the next one?!?!?!?!
Tessa
Finished this one. Final conclusion: another dropped series. If the first book left me uncertain about the worth of this series and that it might turn out to be a good one in the long run, this book completely shattered that illusion.

I'm disappointed in the way the author chose to tell this story.
The character's strongest power is boldness and a bucket (or more) of luck. (view spoiler)...more
Ms. Yingling
We meet Jaron again at the funeral of his family...only he is so conflicted about this that he is taking a moment in a garden, and Roden shows up to assassinate him.In league with Devlin, the pirate king, Roden grievously injures Jaron, but takes off. When the regents meet, they are concerned about the growing threat of the pirates, but also don't feel that Jaron is ready to rule or that he has good opinions, so they want to send him to hide. Jaron feels that there are a lot of hidden threats bo...more
Mara
Cover Blurb: Yes or No? Yes. It’s simple, it’s a pretty color, the title font is exciting, and more importantly - there are no character impersonators.

Characters: Sage/Jaron (I prefer to call him Sage) is awesome beyond words. He has got to be one of my absolute favorite male protagonists out there. He’s sarcastic without having the male version of The Attitude (arrogant, flirtatious, cocky). His arrogance and cockiness feel more like a persona he has adopted to protect his feelings, rather than...more
Barb Terpstra
This review actually covers both "The False Prince" and "The Runaway King", books one and two of The Ascendance Trilogy. I learned about the series from a friend of mine whose middle school son had recently read Book One and declared it good.

If you have children or students who love adventure, pirates, fighting and intrigue, this is a great series to get them started on. I read both books back to back and now I am so frustrated that I have to wait for Book 3. I want to know what happens next! (I...more
Barb Middleton
Carlos
«Todos se asustan a veces. Son sólo los tontos los que no lo admiten.»

The False Prince fue una de mis mejores lecturas del 2012. Fue una historia emocionante, entretenida y llena de excelentes personajes. Así que a penas lo terminé, esperé con ansias la secuela, a pesar de que sentí que el primer libro concluyó una historia de una buena manera.

Las diferencias entre The Runaway King y el primer libro son inmensas. Jaron, parece una persona totalmente diferente. Me provocaba meterme dentro...more
Zabet The Dark Empress of Dark Chocolate

This and other reviews can be found on Reading Between Classes

Cover Impressions: I enjoy the covers in this series, they are clean and simple. The font works very well and I love the colors (blue, now green, hopefully red for number 3?). My only complaint is that they don't see to stand out as much - in my classroom, I don't see The False Prince getting chosen very often unless it is because of my recommendation.

The Gist: Jaron has barely warmed his new throne when an assassination attempt aler...more
Zurlo Enrico
This book was a disappointment. I hated this as much as I liked the first one. The writing style was still good at least, but the plot that was really interesting in the false prince here is catastrophic.

The main character suddenly becomes an idiot making illogical decisions constantly and coming out alive thanks to the infamous "plot armor".

Geography: how small are these countries? I mean you can easily travel a whole country in a day ride. You can say that is the author choice to make small na...more
Paul
Full disclosure: I know the author personally, but that does not affect my review of her book.

Oftentimes, the middle book in a trilogy is a transition from the first book to the third, and in the transition, the second book's story suffers from the author not wanting to tip his/her hand while closing the loop on the first book.

This is not the case with The Runaway King at all! Instead, this book is filled with action and drama as King Jaron has to infiltrate his enemies to thwart their attack on...more
  • Hide and Seek (Capture the Flag, #2)
  •  The Water Castle
  • The Center of Everything
  • The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp
  • The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle (The League of Princes, #2)
  • Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  •  Beholding Bee
  • The Lost Kingdom
  • Lawless (Lawless, #1)
  • Hattie Ever After (Hattie, #2)
  • The Real Boy
  • The Hunters (Brotherband Chronicles, #3)
  • Pi in the Sky
  • Secrets of New Forest Academy (Janitors, #2)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • One Came Home
  • Zebra Forest
Jennifer lives at the base of a very tall mountain in Northern Utah with her husband, three children, and a naughty puppy. She loves the smell of rainy days, hot chocolate, and old books, preferably all at once. She is a former speech teacher, theater director, and enjoyed a brief but disastrous career as a door-to-door pollster. In her spare time, Jennifer tends to panic, wondering what she has f...more
More about Jennifer A. Nielsen...
The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1) The Shadow Throne (The Ascendance Trilogy, #3) Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1) Behind Enemy Lines (Infinity Ring, #6) Elliot and the Pixie Plot (Underworld Chronicles #2)

“Above all else, I think that you are a compulsive liar."
My laughter was tense, but sincere. "Hardly. In fact, I consider myself a compulsive truth teller. It's only that everyone else seems compelled to misunderstand me.”
67 likes
“You wouldn't want to be king of my country," I said.
"Why is that?"
"Well, you're rather fat. I doubt you'd fit onto my throne.”
64 likes