Start by marking “The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2)

The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy #2)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  17,085 ratings  ·  2,164 reviews
A kingdom teetering on the brink of destruction. A king gone missing. Who will survive? Find out in the highly anticipated sequel to Jennifer A. Nielsen's blockbuster THE FALSE PRINCE!

Just weeks after Jaron has taken the throne, an assassination attempt forces him into a deadly situation. Rumors of a coming war are winding their way between the castle walls, and Jaron feel
Published March 1st 2013 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Runaway King, please sign up.

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadProdigy by Marie Lu
YA Novels of 2013
83rd out of 1,532 books — 10,730 voters
The School for Good and Evil by Soman ChainaniThe Runaway King by Jennifer A. NielsenRump by Liesl ShurtliffThe Ability by M.M. VaughanThe Clay Lion by Amalie Jahn
Middle Grade Novels of 2013
2nd out of 358 books — 714 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Nielsen
Oct 05, 2013 Jennifer Nielsen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I admit it. I'm biased. This was a lot of fun to write, and I hope you have fun reading it!

Mostly I wanted to thank those of you who have read this book and been so enthusiastic about this series. Every one of you who has picked up the book has my gratitude.
Just... Imogen and Jaron.

..Why this star-crossed lovers situation?! Why Jennifer Nielsen?!?!?!?!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

As if I haven't suffered enough from Percy and Annabeth at the end of The Mark of Athena. Sheesh.

Princess Amarinda is a nice young lady and all, I mean we simply cannot hate her. But come on... we all know Jaron and Imogen are MEANT to be together.

They are the couple right next to Percy and Annabeth. That's right, PERCABETH.

Now, I think Jennifer Nielsen did a wonderful job at recapturing Jaron's stu
Experiment BL626
After the awesomeness that was book 1 — read my review for book here, I held high expectation for book 2. Woah did I regret doing that. Book 2 exercised my suspension of disbelief hard. Immediately, there were signs portending disappointment. Towards the ending, they bloomed like prickly weeds, and I was left with a rather bitter taste as if I literally ate a weed.

+ the protagonist
Jaron bugged me. He was rude to the people who didn’t deserve it. No, I did not care it was intended to distance and
Madison ♡
Curse you Jennifer A. Nielsen. Curse you for ripping out my heart and stepping on it and making me die a sad, bookless death. Ugh.
Like, seriously.
Okay, let's start with characters. Roden actually showed dimension! We didn't see much of Tobias, but I liked him when I read about him. Let's just say this: WHY DO ALL MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS BECOME EVIL OR DIE? Good thing my favorite character decided to be awesome in the end.
Now, in my review for The
Robin (Bridge Four)
The False prince was a fast and fun tale that had a nice twist at the end that made the book all the more enjoyable. While I liked the Runaway King it didn’t quite capture the same feel as the first book. Sage now Jaron is King of a land on the brink of war. But he isn’t quite the same boy, he is a little bit snarky with everyone around him to the point that it is almost annoying and slightly whiney. But I guess I might be a little hostile is someone tried to assassinate me in the very first cha ...more
Flashback to 2012: The False Prince was coming out, and I really, really wanted to read it. It had been a long time since I'd been so excited for the release of a non-sequel book. And when I finally read it, it was awesome. Not five-stars awesome, but pretty close.

And then this book happened. It's rare for a sequel to improve on its predecessor, but Jennifer Nielson pulled it off. I applaud her for that. At this rate, the finale of this series will be utterly fabulous.

This book is just so muc
This was of a similar quality to the first book in the series. It was a fast paced and fun read even if it does not have the most complex of plots. This is a book aimed at younger readers so the heroes a heroes and the villains are villains! Despite that the characters are a likeable and interesting bunch and the plot held my attention.

The story picks up where things ended in The False Prince with Jaron now being crowned King. Unfortunately for Jaron this is just the start of his problems as ne
My reaction when I was accepted by Netgalley:

photo tumblr_mh3m8c7JlD1rn7wkmo1_400_zpsc9a57973.gif

The first novel in the Ascendance Trilogy, The False Prince, literally changed my life forever. Every time I was caught in a sticky situation, I immediately asked myself, "What would Sage do?" In fact, I was surprised that I even had the ability to talk coherently or function like a normal human being after I finished it. Jennifer Nielsen is that good! So when I saw that the sequel already had a epic name and donned a simple yet intriguing cover, I w
Buddyread with the lovely Melissa starting on the 14th :)

Tried but this one, for me anyway.... failed to live up to the charm of the first book. It started off okay but I got frustrated with some of the writing and decisions Jaron made. It did start to get more interesting once Jaron's plan came into being but by then I just couldn't anymore.

Aah well, on to the next

I don't want to say much about this installment for fear of spoilers.

This was a very good follow-up to The False Prince. The fast pace and clever exchanges were continued, with the addition of some slightly more mature outlook on Sage's part, and a bit of relationship entanglement. The plot stood on its own as a middle book in this trilogy, and I'm really looking to reading the final book and seeing how it all works out in the end.
Lindsey Rey
[4.5 Stars]
It wasn't a good sign when I hit a scene a few pages into the book and actually put it down to sigh in disappointment. After really loving the False Prince, how could I be so disenchanted with the Runaway King?

In the first book, Sage is interesting because he has some sort of secret agenda that crops up in weird actions and inexplicable skill sets. It's great, and I was hooked. But here? Here he is just rude and stupid. He does dumb things supposedly with a master plan in mind, and I think it's
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Things didn't get interesting until about halfway through or so, but the pirate storyline was good and now the third book is a must-read. Again, I would probably like these a lot better if I was a bit younger and didn't think certain tropes were extremely predictable. I am interested to see how this love-triangle-ish thing works out, because I'm positive we haven't seen the last of Imogen.
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
I am truly impressed by this series so far! The trilogy is definitely darker and more complex than the typical middle grade fantasy. Can't wait to read the last book!
Cee (The Mistress Case)
The second book has romance? Oh man, please don't let it get on my nerves.

And please don't let The Runaway King suffer from second book syndrome. I'll sell my soul if I have to.
Jun 27, 2012 Melody marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I for real need to read this book. I have no doubts it'll do the first justice and even surpass The False Prince.
Buddy Read with TL :)

*3.5 stars*

So... this was a tricky one to rate. It was EXTREMELY slow to get into. I'm talking, first half of the book bored me so much that I considered giving up. But, I carried on, and I enjoyed the ending a lot. Which brought it from a 2 star book to a 3.5.

Jaron was kind of an annoying character. In fact many of the characters were annoying. I don't feel any really connection to any of them, except Tobias, Mott and now Fink and Harlowe. The rest are just meh. I don't ca
If The False Prince existed when I was in middle school, it probably would have changed my attitude towards reading. When I read, it was because I had to. Both books and fun never entered my equation unless the thought was something like, "Wow, this book is sure keeping me from having fun." Luckily, my patience has grown some and now I can appreciate different types of stories. What I would have done for a False Prince.

Sage was the character I needed. In the hands of Jennifer Nielsen, he fulfil
This has to be one of my favorite sequels. Runaway King does not disappoint. Jaron faces opposition from his regents, making it difficult to accomplish anything. He doesn't have their respect and they see him as no more than a child, not fit to rule. His captain of the guard doesn't even trust his decisions. Thus Jaron is left with no choice after an assassination attempt, he must leave the castle and leave the ruling of his kingdom to a steward.

Jaron has no interest in sitting by and letting s
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
Such a disappointment. It was deadly dull and lacking in much intrigue, and a huge letdown after the first book. Book one was wonderful, I was completely absorbed in the plotting and the competition, and the strays were interesting characters themselves. The scheming and plots that made the first book great were lacking here, I felt, and this was a chore to finish. Jaron and Roden bugged me so much. I hated their relationship. I also felt that Jaron made some decisions that were completely lacki ...more
I was torn between four and five stars for this one, but had to give it that extra boost. I adore Jaron's character too much not to boost it. And this novel, while perhaps a bit slower and not as exciting as the first, was an excellent read. I had so much fun with it.

Being the second book, I was worried. As usual that it would be disappointing. The beginning was a bit sluggish and I wasn't sure what to think of it, but once it got going and Jaron was back to his snarky self, I was all in. The i
Lindsey Lynn
If you haven't read the first book do so!!!! it is wonderful :D This started off right where The False Prince ended. So much suspense and thrilling action and pirates! Loved the writing as always. It did end on a pretty big new plot for the next book! I cannot wait to get my hands on it.
Small Review
Originally posted at Small Review

4.5 stars, Special Shelf

Is it as good as the first book?

Well, no.

I know, I'm disappointed too. The False Prince was filled with incredible tension, twists, and this underlying feeling that Sage was always ten steps ahead of me while I knew I was only able to figure out about five of those steps.

The Runaway King didn't have that. The tension I loved so much just wasn't there the same way. The situation was dire, sure, but something was missing.

Also, the pacing w
I don't often mark the ARCs as read before the finished book comes out but I loved this one so much I had to write a review. I fully believed it would be difficult to top The False Prince but the author did. Sage's voice is stronger, the adventure very intense and it all ends with another twist, making me regret I read it so fast that I have wait even longer now for the next book.
I still can't figure out if this is middle or young adult.

EVEN BETTER than its predecessor, this book knocked my socks off. KNOCKED THEM OFF.

These aren't books that leave you with an undying message, quotes or morals you'll look back on for years. But they are fun. Fun, adventure, funny, and well-written. I gobbled this one up in one day.

Yes, gobbled.
3 stars… maybe dropping

Ow. How disappointing. Ladies and gentleman, we have a classic case of 2nd-book-in-series-suckage . The plot was worse, the writing was worse, the character progression didn't exist and the whole thing turned out laughably predictable.

So our story begins a month after Jaron has been crowned King of Carthya. But, unsurprisingly, he's taking his duties quite lightly - he's trying to protect his country, not be the nations favourite royal. But within the first tw
Kerry *Soulcaster*
The Ascendence Trilogy has a lot going for it - a compelling plot with lots of action and a little romance. It's a fun read in general, but a perfect choice for reluctant middle grade readers.

Another fun buddy read with my Buddies Books and Baubles friends

•  The Water Castle
  • Hide and Seek (Silver Jaguar Society Mysteries #2)
  • Jinx
  • The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp
  • Hattie Ever After (Hattie, #2)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle (The League of Princes, #2)
  • Lawless (Lawless, #1)
  • Icefall
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Pi in the Sky
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • Twerp
  • Circus Mirandus
  • The Center of Everything
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
Jennifer lives at the base of a very tall mountain in Northern Utah with her husband, three children, and a naughty puppy. She loves the smell of rainy days, hot chocolate, and old books, preferably all at once. She is a former speech teacher, theater director, and enjoyed a brief but disastrous career as a door-to-door pollster. In her spare time, Jennifer tends to panic, wondering what she has f ...more
More about Jennifer A. Nielsen...

The Ascendance Trilogy (3 books)
  • The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1)
  • The Shadow Throne (The Ascendance Trilogy, #3)
The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1) The Shadow Throne (The Ascendance Trilogy, #3) Mark of the Thief (Mark of the Thief, #1) Behind Enemy Lines (Infinity Ring, #6) Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)

“Everyone gets scared at times. It's only the fools who won't admit it.” 120 likes
“Above all else, I think that you are a compulsive liar."
My laughter was tense, but sincere. "Hardly. In fact, I consider myself a compulsive truth teller. It's only that everyone else seems compelled to misunderstand me.”