Start by marking “After Dark (Griffin Powell, #1)” as Want to Read:
After Dark (Griffin Powell, #1)

After Dark (Griffin Powell #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  2,069 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
When A Shocking Scandal Exposes Southern Secrets. . . As the blazing heat of summer gives way to sultry September, a shroud of suspicion settles over Noble's Crossing, a sleepy Alabama town. Nothing is as it seems--and never will be again. Lane Noble Graham stands accused of murdering her ex-husband. And the one man who can help, Johnny Mack Cahill, vowed never to return t ...more
Published December 12th 2011 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published December 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about After Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Dark

Oana
Nov 18, 2015 Oana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I loooved the start, I liked the ending, I yawned throughout the middle, so it seems like a fair rating. I love the atmosphere in her novels though.
Christa
Jan 16, 2009 Christa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksfree-com
This was another good romantic suspense from Beverly Barton. I very much enjoyed After Dark. Although not exactly part of a series, this book has characters that appear in Barton's novels in which Griffin Powell (himself not in this book) has at least a small role. I have not read these books in order, but as the hero of After Dark, Johnny Mack Cahill, has shown up in some of the other Barton books I have read, I was glad to read his story. After Dark did include my absolute least favorite plot ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
After reading quite a few books by this author and some of them not in the exact reading order, decided to start from the beginning.

This is book #1 in the Griffin Powell Series, with no appearance made by Griffin Powell and I enjoyed it.

I liked the setting and there were some interesting and quirky characters.

I was not totally enamored by Lane, the heroine. She irritated me quite a few times and I found it hard to believe she could be an actual judge.

I did engage with the hero and his family mor
Gen
While I appreciate the plot and storyline, I'm not too keen on her writing style. The dialogues are cheesy, predictable and downright tacky. Even the characters' introspections and musings were frustratingly mushy and repetitive. Its only saving grace is the macabre and gruesome plot point.
Danielle Gypsy Soul
This book just didn't work for me. I was stuck on an airplane so I was a captive audience and I still found myself skimming the book. The writing seemed repetitive, the characters were far from memorable and the mystery was SO obvious.
Reen
Jan 22, 2013 Reen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good story with many twists and turns. Some were easy to predict and others were a surprise. It took a little time to get used to the double first names (Johnny Mack)! I am looking forward to reading more books by this author and it's a little sad that she is no longer with us.
Dee
Two-haiku review:

Her ex is murdered
Man she loved comes. back to prove
She didn't do it

Not Griffin Powell
Doesn't belong in series
Not bad story though
Susan Wawa
suka banget yg namanya suspense atau thiller ngitu, seru juga baca after dark, bagus, di pertengahan gue mikir gue bisa nebak nih pembunuhnya siapa, tapi salah terus....pembunuhan yg berliku-liku dan semuanya bisa dijdiin tersangka walaupun ibunya sendiri.

Suka banget sama jhonny yg dulu dilecehkan ternyata menjadi miliuner terpandang, ada juga cinta si lane yg ga pernah padam walaupun dari remaja, ada juga anaknya si will yg patuh dan sayang banget sama mamanya, BB hebat banget dalam menceritak
Jay Jessmer
A good enough book to read, I just couldn't really get any attachment to the characters. It felt like this should have been a second book, as all of the background was just filled in as we went along. All attempts at character development were done in the past tense and left too much to the readers imagination.
The story moved along fairly fast, but there was no true suspense, just a twisted riddle which wasn't that hard to figure out. The attempted chemistry between Lane and Johnny Mack felt f
Shelly
Sep 02, 2010 Shelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
hum bnrnya mau kasi 3.5 star.. tp berhub ga bisa... hehe...critanya ngalir bgt... twistnya sesuai harapan g^^ smpt ngira2 ant ini & ini... n ternyata mang d ant 2 org ini... crita bad boy yg akhirnya become a real man... mjelang ending g ga berasa bener2 klimaks... entah knp... tp luv epilognya akhirnya mereka bahagia juga;)

g baru sadar ternyata ni quinn Cortez.. perasaan ga asing ternyata bnr aje... yg jadi lead co di killing her softly nya BB... ternyata d sini hub nya ma Griffin Powell..
Kaitlin
Definitely thought this was romantic suspense. It is not. It is romance but they happen to have a murder "mystery" that is painfully obvious. This is probably the second romance book I've ever read in my life so I don't really know how to review it. I did like how the characters were very forward. There wasn't a lot of like skirting around issues or lying, which was refreshing. But again, all the talking about feelings is not my cup of tea.
Anya
Nov 25, 2016 Anya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini dibuka dengan kematian Kent Graham, putra tiri Walikota Nobel’s Crossing. Di lokasi lain, Johnny Mack Cahill sudah 15 tahun pindah dari kota tersebut. Ia enggan kembali karena takut melihat hantu. Hantu masa lalunya sendiri. 15 tahun juga sudah mengubah kehidupannya. Dari sebutan putri seorang pelacur menjadi seorang jutawan. Sebuah surat sampai di kediamannya, memaksa ia untuk mengangkat kembali kopernya ke Nobel’s Crossing. Bertemu hantunya.
The 1st book in the Griffin Powell series, although Griffin Powell is not mentioned in the book. Can be read as a stand alone.

I really liked this one. Though I had a pretty good idea of who the murder was (and I was right), AFTER DARK still had me second guessing myself till the end. The characters were complex, some you liked and some you hated, but all were interesting. Although, I have to say that, though I felt for her and her situation, Lane could be irritating at times.
Lise
Aug 31, 2015 Lise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read some of Barton's more recent books and enjoyed them, so I thought I would go back to an earlier work of hers. I was sorely disappointed. I was expecting suspense and got mostly romance. The writing was terrible - incredibly redundant, which was incredibly annoying. Also, I'm confused as to why this book is "Griffin Powell #1" as there is no such character in the book. ???
Chelsea Fox
"After Dark" started off with a nice storyline but I got a little bored from near the end of the story. Of course, the writing was easy to read and that was nice, but overall, everything came a bit too predictable.

If you like drama more than suspense, then you will enjoy "After Dark".
Kay
Feb 19, 2008 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Females
Shelves: mystery, romance
Taking place in Alabama, the town bad boy returns after 15 yrs. to a son he didn't know he had. Along with a couple of murders, attempted murders, and more it's an enjoyable book.
Could have cut down on some of the sex and made it a quicker read!
Novee
Cerita khas Beverly Barton.
Awalnya bagus, tp makin ke belakang makin biasa.
Ceritanya gampang ditebak.
Tp yang aku suka disini, kasih sayang antara Lane dan Will. terasa banget.. ikut terharu bacanya.
John
Apr 19, 2016 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After I got through what seemed to be a confusing and never ending list of characters at the beginning, this book had more twists and turns that any roller coaster at either 6 Flags or Disney World. Just as you had the who dunnit figured out, something changed you thoughts... Or did it!.....
Joyce McKune
Jul 04, 2014 Joyce McKune rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, romance
When Lane's husband was killed and her son had witnessed the murder, the housekeeper sent for Johnny Mack. He'd been in love with Lane since he was the bad boy from across the river. He hired Quinn to defend her when she was arrested for the murder.
Allison
May 14, 2014 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It was a quick, easy read with well written characters. I did start to get annoyed with how often it was mentioned that Johnny Mack had never wanted to return but oh well. Overall it was a good book that kept me guessing the whole time.
annisa belikov casillas
recomended dech buku ini walaupun kurang hot...tapi bagus...suka banget sama johny mack cahill...ada quin cortez juga ternyata...^^ salut sama lane yang memendam cinta sama johny mulai dari usia 14 thn...ckckckck, sampe mau adopsi anaknya si johny....TOP dech
Jeanette
Feb 01, 2015 Jeanette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read several books by Beverly Barton and have always enjoyed, despite not reading them in the correct order. A page turner and one in which I did not know who the killer was until near the end.
Esther
May 17, 2011 Esther rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beverly-barton
i'm reading it..... quite complicated story... but i love something complex...
Yadira
Oct 07, 2012 Yadira rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful. Boring, predictable, and the characters kept having the same conversations over and over.
Sue
Dec 21, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice romantic/murderish mystery....Different pace from what i've recently read. Fast, easy read....
Tamie
Aug 04, 2011 Tamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: traded-in, murder
read 2005
Janine
My first by this author and I didn't love her writing style. Too many characters and no real suspense.
♥ Nell ♥
My first book by Ms. Barton! A great read... with complex characters. A nice romance combined with a clever suspense...
Deb
Apr 26, 2015 Deb rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is supposed to be #1 in the Griffin Powell series, but there was nobody by that name in the book. Kind of a cheesy story...written like it is intended for Junior High School girls.
Dale
Apr 19, 2012 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Great mystery, a little needed romance, but wondering why this was called a Griffon Powell series but he was not in the story. Always enjoy it when he is.
  • Sudden Death (FBI Trilogy, #1)
  • Trust Me (The Last Stand, #1)
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
  • Count to Ten (Romantic Suspense, #6; Chicago, #5)
  • Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1)
  • Dead Wrong (Dead #1; John Mancini #3)
  • Thread of Fear (The Glass Sisters, #1)
  • First You Run (Bullet Catcher, #4)
  • Midnight Caller (Chasing Evil, #1)
Beverly Marie Inman was born on 23 December 1946 in Tuscumbia, Alabama, USA. Daughter of Doris Marie and Walter D. Inman Jr. A born romantic, she fell in love with The Beauty and the Beast epic at an early age, when her grandfather bought her an illustrated copy of the famous fairy tale. Even before she learned to read and write, her vivid imagination created magical words and fabulous characters ...more
More about Beverly Barton...

Griffin Powell (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Fifth Victim (Griffin Powell, #2)
  • The Last To Die (Griffin Powell, #3)
  • As Good As Dead (Griffin Powell, #4)
  • Killing Her Softly (Griffin Powell, #5)
  • Close Enough To Kill (Griffin Powell, #6)
  • The Dying Game (Griffin Powell, #7)
  • The Murder Game (Griffin Powell, #8)
  • Cold Hearted (Griffin Powell, #9)
  • Silent Killer (Griffin Powell, #10)
  • Dead By Midnight (Griffin Powell #11)