Start by marking “After Dark (Griffin Powell, #1)” as Want to Read:
After Dark (Griffin Powell, #1)

After Dark (Griffin Powell #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,503 ratings  ·  41 reviews
When A Shocking Scandal Exposes Southern Secrets. . . As the blazing heat of summer gives way to sultry September, a shroud of suspicion settles over Noble's Crossing, a sleepy Alabama town. Nothing is as it seems--and never will be again. Lane Noble Graham stands accused of murdering her ex-husband. And the one man who can help, Johnny Mack Cahill, vowed never to return t ...more
Published December 12th 2011 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published December 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about After Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Dark

Christa
This was another good romantic suspense from Beverly Barton. I very much enjoyed After Dark. Although not exactly part of a series, this book has characters that appear in Barton's novels in which Griffin Powell (himself not in this book) has at least a small role. I have not read these books in order, but as the hero of After Dark, Johnny Mack Cahill, has shown up in some of the other Barton books I have read, I was glad to read his story. After Dark did include my absolute least favorite plot ...more
Gen
While I appreciate the plot and storyline, I'm not too keen on her writing style. The dialogues are cheesy, predictable and downright tacky. Even the characters' introspections and musings were frustratingly mushy and repetitive. Its only saving grace is the macabre and gruesome plot point.
Alex is The Romance Fox
After reading quite a few books by this author and some of them not in the exact reading order, decided to start from the beginning.

This is book #1 in the Griffin Powell Series, with no appearance made by Griffin Powell and I enjoyed it.

I liked the setting and there were some interesting and quirky characters.

I was not totally enamored by Lane, the heroine. She irritated me quite a few times and I found it hard to believe she could be an actual judge.

I did engage with the hero and his family mor
Reen
This was a good story with many twists and turns. Some were easy to predict and others were a surprise. It took a little time to get used to the double first names (Johnny Mack)! I am looking forward to reading more books by this author and it's a little sad that she is no longer with us.
Jay Jessmer
A good enough book to read, I just couldn't really get any attachment to the characters. It felt like this should have been a second book, as all of the background was just filled in as we went along. All attempts at character development were done in the past tense and left too much to the readers imagination.
The story moved along fairly fast, but there was no true suspense, just a twisted riddle which wasn't that hard to figure out. The attempted chemistry between Lane and Johnny Mack felt f
Kaitlin
Definitely thought this was romantic suspense. It is not. It is romance but they happen to have a murder "mystery" that is painfully obvious. This is probably the second romance book I've ever read in my life so I don't really know how to review it. I did like how the characters were very forward. There wasn't a lot of like skirting around issues or lying, which was refreshing. But again, all the talking about feelings is not my cup of tea.
Susan Wawa
suka banget yg namanya suspense atau thiller ngitu, seru juga baca after dark, bagus, di pertengahan gue mikir gue bisa nebak nih pembunuhnya siapa, tapi salah terus....pembunuhan yg berliku-liku dan semuanya bisa dijdiin tersangka walaupun ibunya sendiri.

Suka banget sama jhonny yg dulu dilecehkan ternyata menjadi miliuner terpandang, ada juga cinta si lane yg ga pernah padam walaupun dari remaja, ada juga anaknya si will yg patuh dan sayang banget sama mamanya, BB hebat banget dalam menceritak
Joyce McKune
When Lane's husband was killed and her son had witnessed the murder, the housekeeper sent for Johnny Mack. He'd been in love with Lane since he was the bad boy from across the river. He hired Quinn to defend her when she was arrested for the murder.
Jeanette
I have read several books by Beverly Barton and have always enjoyed, despite not reading them in the correct order. A page turner and one in which I did not know who the killer was until near the end.
Deb
This is supposed to be #1 in the Griffin Powell series, but there was nobody by that name in the book. Kind of a cheesy story...written like it is intended for Junior High School girls.
Shelly
hum bnrnya mau kasi 3.5 star.. tp berhub ga bisa... hehe...critanya ngalir bgt... twistnya sesuai harapan g^^ smpt ngira2 ant ini & ini... n ternyata mang d ant 2 org ini... crita bad boy yg akhirnya become a real man... mjelang ending g ga berasa bener2 klimaks... entah knp... tp luv epilognya akhirnya mereka bahagia juga;)

g baru sadar ternyata ni quinn Cortez.. perasaan ga asing ternyata bnr aje... yg jadi lead co di killing her softly nya BB... ternyata d sini hub nya ma Griffin Powell..
The 1st book in the Griffin Powell series, although Griffin Powell is not mentioned in the book. Can be read as a stand alone.

I really liked this one. Though I had a pretty good idea of who the murder was (and I was right), AFTER DARK still had me second guessing myself till the end. The characters were complex, some you liked and some you hated, but all were interesting. Although, I have to say that, though I felt for her and her situation, Lane could be irritating at times.
Chelsea Fox
"After Dark" started off with a nice storyline but I got a little bored from the whole near the end of the story. Of course, the writing was easy to read and that was nice, but overall, everything was a bit too predictable.

If you like drama more than suspense than you would enjoy "After Dark".
annisa belikov casillas
recomended dech buku ini walaupun kurang hot...tapi bagus...suka banget sama johny mack cahill...ada quin cortez juga ternyata...^^ salut sama lane yang memendam cinta sama johny mulai dari usia 14 thn...ckckckck, sampe mau adopsi anaknya si johny....TOP dech
Kay
Feb 19, 2008 Kay rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Females
Shelves: romance, mystery
Taking place in Alabama, the town bad boy returns after 15 yrs. to a son he didn't know he had. Along with a couple of murders, attempted murders, and more it's an enjoyable book.
Could have cut down on some of the sex and made it a quicker read!
Novee
Cerita khas Beverly Barton.
Awalnya bagus, tp makin ke belakang makin biasa.
Ceritanya gampang ditebak.
Tp yang aku suka disini, kasih sayang antara Lane dan Will. terasa banget.. ikut terharu bacanya.
Rosalind
I would go as far as 3.5 stars for sure, but why is this "Griffin Powell series #1)...there is no mention of him in this book at all. That was a little disappointing, but all in all not a bad read.
Nura
how could you not admire a guy who could own up to his mistakes and make a real effort to right the wrongs in his life? well, a little will be sufficient XD ...more
Dale
Great mystery, a little needed romance, but wondering why this was called a Griffon Powell series but he was not in the story. Always enjoy it when he is.
Rafista
I don't know,I just don't like this book. The plot was predictable and it's kinda boring. I love William's character so much though. He's so adorable
Corin Born
I LIKE HER SO FAR. ABOUT SEVEN BOOKS INTO HER AND SO FAR SO GOOD. I LIKE THE RECURRING CHARACTERS, MUCH EASIER TO GET INTO THEN THE NON.
Marla
This was a good murder mystery that took until the very end to find out who the killer was. I really enjoyed reading this book
♥ Nell ♥
My first book by Ms. Barton! A great read... with complex characters. A nice romance combined with a clever suspense...
Janine
My first by this author and I didn't love her writing style. Too many characters and no real suspense.
Shauna Hart
This was the first of her books I read and I loved it. I immediately went out and got all her other books.
Sue
Nice romantic/murderish mystery....Different pace from what i've recently read. Fast, easy read....
Yadira
Awful. Boring, predictable, and the characters kept having the same conversations over and over.
Jamie
Love all of the Griffin Powell books. I found his mysterious past so interesting.
Phyllis
This was one of those books that uses repetition to
make up for a weak plot.
Esther Fanny
i'm reading it..... quite complicated story... but i love something complex...
  • Sudden Death (FBI Trilogy, #1)
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
  • Trust Me (Last Stand Series, #1)
  • Count to Ten (Romantic Suspense, #6)
  • Don't Look Now (Look Trilogy, #1)
  • Whisper of Warning (Glass Sisters, The #2)
  • Dead Even (Dead #3)
  • Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1)
  • First You Run (Bullet Catcher, #4)
  • Next to Die (SEAL Team 12, #4)
Beverly Marie Inman was born on 23 December 1946 in Tuscumbia, Alabama, USA. Daughter of Doris Marie and Walter D. Inman Jr. A born romantic, she fell in love with The Beauty and the Beast epic at an early age, when her grandfather bought her an illustrated copy of the famous fairy tale. Even before she learned to read and write, her vivid imagination created magical words and fabulous characters ...more
More about Beverly Barton...

Griffin Powell (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Fifth Victim (Griffin Powell, #2)
  • The Last To Die (Griffin Powell, #3)
  • As Good As Dead (Griffin Powell, #4)
  • Killing Her Softly (Griffin Powell, #5)
  • Close Enough To Kill (Griffin Powell, #6)
  • The Dying Game (Griffin Powell, #7)
  • The Murder Game (Griffin Powell, #8)
  • Cold Hearted
  • Silent Killer (Griffin Powell, #10)
  • Dead By Midnight (Griffin Powell #11)
The Dying Game (Griffin Powell, #7) The Murder Game (Griffin Powell, #8) Dead By Midnight (Griffin Powell #11) Close Enough To Kill (Griffin Powell, #6) Killing Her Softly (Griffin Powell, #5)