Start by marking “Best of the South: From Ten Years of New Stories from the South” as Want to Read:
Best of the South: From Ten Years of New Stories from the South

Best of the South: From Ten Years of New Stories from the South (New Stories from the South)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Since 1986, New Stories from the South has brought the best short fiction of the year to the attention of a national audience. The series has been called “the collection others should use as a model” (the Charlotte Observer), and for twenty years it has held to that standard.

When Anne Tyler helped us celebrate the first ten years of the series in Best of the South, 1986–
Published January 4th 1996 by Algonquin Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Best of the South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best of the South

Djrmel
A wonderful collection of "the best" short stories from the annual anthology New Stories From The South, this is a collection of writings from contemporary writers that all have their roots, if not their body, in the South. A few are Southern-Gothic, a few are simple slice-of-life, and few almost fall into historical fiction territory. They are all extremely well told short stories, never failing to honor what I think is the one rule of this genre: Clarity. No matter how soft and fuzzy a charact ...more
Krista
Lord have mercy! Aren't there any happy stories to tell? I grew up in the South and I know for certain that there are some non-dysfunctional families there and stories with happy endings!

While I enjoyed reading this collection (I read most of them) it started to wear me down. I loved the language and the richness of the writing, but after a while it just wasn't doing anything for me.

Melanie
Interesting mix of short stories. I liked some more than others, but I'll definitely check out more of these collections, which come out every year.
Bebe
I belong to a Short Story book club, we read and discussed this book over a year of monthly meetings, the book stories inside sparked alot of conversation and discussion. I would recommend it.
Liz
A few good stories here, some not so great.
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Eleanore
Eleanore marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
ANNE RUTH
ANNE RUTH marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Jay Wood
Jay Wood marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Susan Foroughi ofner
Susan Foroughi ofner marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Coratheexplorer2
Coratheexplorer2 marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
quizqueen
quizqueen marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Dot
Dot added it
Apr 17, 2014
Ben Twoonezero
Ben Twoonezero marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Kathy Townsend
Kathy Townsend marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Michelle.nymeria
Michelle.nymeria marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Anne Tyler was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in 1941 and grew up in Raleigh, North Carolina. She graduated at nineteen from Duke University and went on to do graduate work in Russian studies at Columbia University. The Beginner's Goodbye is Anne Tyler's nineteenth novel; her eleventh, Breathing Lessons , was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1988. She is a member of the American Academy of Arts and ...more
More about Anne Tyler...

New Stories from the South (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best, 1986
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best, 1987
  • New Stories from the South: The Years Best, 1988 (American Places of the Heart)
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best 1989
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best, 1990
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best, 1991
  • New Stories from the South 1992: The Year's Best
  • New Stories from the South 1993: The Year's Best
  • New Stories from the South 1994: The Year's Best
  • New Stories from the South 1995: The Year's Best
The Accidental Tourist Breathing Lessons Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant Digging to America Saint Maybe