Start by marking “The Spiritual Combat” as Want to Read:
The Spiritual Combat

The Spiritual Combat

4.59 of 5 stars 4.59  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In 1589 in Venice the first edition of the work of Lorenzo Scupoli’s life was printed. At once it gained huge esteem and became a bestseller. During the first 20 years it was published 60 times and translated into German, Latin, French, English and Spanish. Next there were made Portuguese, Croatian, Polish, Armenian, Greek (by Nicodemus the Hagiorite), Arabian and Japanese ...more
Kindle Edition
Published April 19th 2012 by Wyatt North Publishing (first published 1589)

To ask other readers questions about The Spiritual Combat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spiritual Combat

John Schneider
"The Spiritual Combat" and a "Treatise on Peace of Soul" are masterpieces of ascetic theology. The two works have been joined together for centuries, but they are really two distinct works. Whereas "The Spiritual Combat" focuses on developing virtues in general, the "Treatise on Peace of Soul" is chiefly concerned with cultivating a deep disposition towards peace. Together these works provide a succinct and certain method for growing closer to God and enjoying greater and more lasting peace and ...more
Grace
Excellent book! i love it! Full of rich, deep, practical tips and advice to grow spiritually. Everybody could be saint, but we have to learn how to combat and defeat temptation. This is a book to read and consult continually. I am so motivated to begin practicing what I have read.
Emily Giuffre
Need I say more.....

Just read it for yourself. I'm not articulate enough to give a worthy account of this book.
Kathleen
If you want to know your enemy...and don't mind realizing some of your greatest battles are coming from within...then read on.

The Spiritual Combat has been changing lives for so many years..and still is today. Before reading this I had heard so much about it. Although I am not Roman Catholic...I am a Christian, and looked very forward to benefiting spiritually from it's contents. This book has so greatly EXCEEDED my expectations...it is a book I will likely read many times over in my life time.
James Andersen
This book is a spiritual gem, the advice is practical and to the point. In this readers particular case very helpful due to the scruples and moments of spiritual aridity, in my prayer life I found myself almost spontaneously doing some of the very things suggested and thinking some of the very things written. I would recommend this for anyone seeking to grow in their prayer life, the author meets the reader anywhere along their progression in the practice of the spiritual life.
Frank
This is a book that really gets you thinking. He pulls no punches about a real war going on between each of us and the Devil. And he explains details as to what the Devil does and tricks he uses. This is book everyone should read and see how it fits into his or her experiences. It includes information on how to deal with the Devil and beat him at his own game. But it is all deadly serious and treated that way.
Richard
Soul searching and instructive. Well worth reading more than twice.
Ilya Kozlov
great for beginning ,...de sales carried it several years....very practical.....one little christian against devil.....how i gonna win....he is devil....do i have a chance?
Joseph Serwach
Great book. A classic. My patron saint, Francis De Sales (the patron saint of writers) reportedly carried this book with him for 18 years because he consulted it so often.
Mark
Such an outstanding book on spiritual growth and the coinciding spiritual warfare. I can only hope that what I have read I will also remember and act upon.
Short, helpful chapters jam-packed with advice on growing closer to Our Lord, and avoiding temptations. A spiritual classic for a reason! Read it!!
Erik
Included in the "Spiritual Reading" section of Fr. John McCloskey's 100-book Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan.
Michael
A bit easier to understand than the Imitation of Christ, and just as challenging. Also, extremely deep.
Eric Williams
This book is life changing. A practical and direct guide to conquering the daily battles we all face.
Andrea
Second read through in five years and it was like reading it for the first time.
George
Each chapter changed my life.
Kent
This is a very dense piece of reading. It was clearly written for members of religious orders as the primary audience. That said, the author takes apart the avoidance of sin and the practice of virtue both great and small and illuminates holiness in little steps. He emphasizes that the path toward sainthood is a great undertaking, but must be accomplished in little steps. Both The Spiritual Combat and the Treatise on Peace of Soul should be read by anyone serious about mastery of self and submis ...more
Tomas
Tomas is currently reading it
Mar 03, 2015
Michael Shaw
Michael Shaw marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Scott Kleinpeter
Scott Kleinpeter marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Nan
Nan marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Justin Price
Justin Price marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Manuel
Manuel marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Dario
Dario marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
  • Uniformity with God's Will
  • Abandonment to Divine Providence
  • The Soul of The Apostolate
  • To Know Christ Jesus
  • The Great Heresies
  • The Lord
  • The Hidden Power of Kindness: A Practical Handbook for Souls Who Dare to Transform the World, One Deed at a Time
  • An Essay On the Development of Christian Doctrine
  • The Way
  • Introduction to the Devout Life
  • True Devotion to Mary
  • The Privilege of Being a Woman
Unseen Warfare The Spiritual Combat The Spiritual Combat: Classic Edition Virtue in the Unseen Warfare The Spiritual Combat: For the 21st Century Christian