Start by marking “Day by Day” as Want to Read:
Day by Day

Day by Day

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Tired of living in her older sister’s shadow, Tina enjoys the attention of her mum’s new boyfriend, Trevor. He treats her like an adult, introducing her to alcohol and drugs. But Trevor has an ulterior motive, the consequences of which will tear her life apart.
Published June 11th 2012 by Deshca Press

To ask other readers questions about Day by Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Day by Day

Elizabeth A.
Fifteen-year-old Tina is living a life that is unfortunately all too common in today’s world. Her parents are divorced. She only sees her father occasionally. Her mother brings home a new boyfriend seemingly every other week and has no time for Tina. And then there’s her older sister, who Tina resents for getting to do all the things Tina isn’t allowed to.

Things start to change when Tina’s mother brings home her latest boyfriend, Trevor. Far from ignoring Tina, Trevor gives her little gifts and
Kelli Bragg
The book does a good job of describing how pedophiles groom their victims...the actions by Trevor to lure Tina are spot on and it was pretty cathartic to read, if only to realize how manipulated victims can be (knowing it's not their fault, but that the predator is preying on them because of the insecurity brought on by a broken family).

If it can stop only one teen from becoming a victim by realizing that the "hot older guy" is really a vile, evil slug, Mr. Jeffrey should be thanked.

However, th
Dylan
Tina is a young girl, not yet sixteen, from a broken home. She sees her father infrequently, has a loveless relationship with her mother, and is picked upon by her elder sister. Rachel, the sister, can get away with almost anything. Tina cannot—until Trevor enters their lives. Although dating Tina’s mum, Trevor offers the girl everything she wants: new clothes, self respect, and affection. But Trevor’s intentions aren’t pure and Tina will find out, but not until it’s too late.

This is a situation
Keith Nixon
Tina is a fifteen year old girl from a broken home. She has few friends and plays second fiddle to her older sister. Her divorced mother, trying to stay young, regularly brings men home from the pub. Tonight her companion is Trevor, a smooth talking guy who makes a connection with Tina and she soon falls in love with him. But he has ulterior motives and soon Tina is on a path of drugs and prostitution to stay with the man she loves.

This is a short tale, even for a novella, at 15,000 words. I rea
Lorraine Versini
So Shaun Jeffrey decides to do something different. There wasn't going to be any gore or zombies. But it still piqued my interest.
Instead, Shaun's written a really heartbreaking story of child abuse and neglect. In a way, it's a good thing it's rather short. Because it's quite dark. There's no mollycoddling the reader. That's how things happen, and that's how things are related.
Tina's character is well portrayed, a typical teenage girl. She sounded very real to me.
Don't get me wrong, I love Shau
Kath Middleton
This story is a departure from Shaun Jeffrey’s usual genre of horror but there is something horrific in this tale of a young girl groomed for sex by her dissolute mother’s boyfriend, Trevor. Tina lacks self-esteem which is often the catalyst for young people falling into bad company. Her family is split; she sees little of her caring father and has an unfriendly, envious and almost aggressive relationship with her older sister. Trevor appears to be offering her love, status, material goods, all ...more
Cheryl M-M
A short yet poignant story of how a pedophile grooms, abuses and then goes on to exploit a teen via prostitution. During this time the young teen is groomed into thinking she loves her abuser and that she is the one making the choices.
I commend the author for tackling a topic, which is swept under the carpet by many. Often the victim is perceived to be at blame, because they are skillfully coerced into believing that they love their abuser.
The author has obviously done his homework on the subtle
Neil
Day by Day had been in my read-to-list for some time now. Probably as I am a single parent with a teenage daughter I thought the subject matter may have been too harrowing. I fancied something different, so what the heck, I’ll give it a go. It’s a short story that I finished in a day.

I needn’t have worried. Though there are some unsettling scenes but the quality and sensitivity of the writing made it a compelling read.

I think this is one of Shaun’s best works, so kudos for trying something new!
Joo
I've read a few of Shaun's books, from the police procedurals of Prosper Snow in The Kult to the wierd and dark worlds in books such as Dead World and Dark Seduction.

But this book is the scariest. It reads as if it's a newspaper report/interview rather than a novel story. The horror in this story is that it is the truth in many towns around the country.

I can't say I "enjoyed" it as such, but it was gripping reading and I didn't want to stop until I found out the ending.
Katy
This novella is different to Shaun Jeffrey's other work, but it is just as well written!

The story was hard hitting, and the shortness of the book emphasised just how quickly Tina's life span out of control. Every teenager wants to be treated like an adult, so it was a real eye opener as to what can happen in this world. I commend Shaun for having the guts to write about it, especially since a percentage goes to charity to help girls like Tina.

Please, please, please buy this!
Jud (Disney Diva)
A gripping short story about a girl who is groomed by her mother's new boyfriend into the sex trade. It feels wrong to say good things about such a horrific subject but the story is written fantastically.

I share with the authors comment at the very beginning of the book, I hope that anyone affected by anything like this can fight their way out until they see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Patti (baconater)
A very well-crafted story by the very talented Shaun Jeffrey about a difficult subject that is in the news all too frequently.
Contains characters that you will care about and continue to think of long after you've finished reading.
Editing Services by Cynthia Shepp
Shaun Jeffrey’s Day by Day

This is a short novella with a huge impact. This book highlights the horrific reality of child and sexual abuse. Tina, the main character, is a fifteen year old child and the product of a broken home. She has a weekly visit with a father that she thinks loves her sister more. An older sister that she has a huge sibling rivalry with, and a mother that goes through men like tissues and tries to be something she is not, which is young again. Tina has no self-esteem and it
Cphe
An interesting but grim story about the exploitation of Tina, a 15 year old girl. Tina is easy prey for predator Trevor. She's isolated and lonely the product of a broken home.

It's a dark little story and it's strength lies in the portrayal of Trevor, his ability to manipulate and groom Tina for his own ends. Written in a straight forward and uncompromising manner the only detraction I felt was the ending, it was a little too pat and rushed. But overall the author was able to deliver a hard hitt
Andrew Ives
A well-written page turner that chronicles a young girl's slow decline into a sleazy underworld. Personally, I found it rather too unpleasant to read but I would recommend it as a cautionary tale to any inner city youngster of around Tina's age. Glad to see some of the proceeds go to charity too. A strong 3.75/5 stars.
Kelly
Not sure how many pages this was because it doesn't show on my Kindle or on this website. Really quick story but good.
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Marla Drury
Marla Drury marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Monica
Monica added it
Oct 11, 2014
Luticia
Luticia marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
velvetgypsy
velvetgypsy marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
L.A. Richards
L.A. Richards marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Joe Peterson
Joe Peterson marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Sarah added it
Jun 04, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Beckie Treble
Beckie Treble marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Oktavia Risnandar
Oktavia Risnandar marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Shaun Jeffrey was brought up in a house in a cemetery, so it was only natural for his prose to stray towards the dark side when he started writing. He has had five novels published, The Kult, Killers, Evilution, Fangtooth and Deadfall, and one collection of short stories, Voyeurs of Death. He has also had over 40 short stories published in places such as Dark Discoveries and Cemetery Dance. His no ...more
More about Shaun Jeffrey...
The Kult The Mutilation Machination Deadfall Dead Man's Eye Killers