Odd Interlude #1 (Odd Thomas, #4.1)

Odd Interlude #1 (Odd Thomas #4.1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  3,518 ratings  ·  275 reviews
Leading up to the highly anticipated arrival of Odd Apocalypse this summer, catch up with Odd Thomas in Odd Interlude, a special three-part eBook series by #1 bestselling master of suspense Dean Koontz! Here is the spine-tingling70-pagefirst installment of this super-charged stand-alone Odd adventure.

THERE’S ROOM AT THE INN. BUT YOU MIGHT NOT GET OUT.

Nestled on a lonely...more
Published June 11th 2012 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2012)

Barry Simiana
Ahh, Mr Koontz. Have you been reading my mind (and many others in the mix) or finally recieving the messages i have been psychically sending you for years. Tho I will try to keep them brief, potential spoilers ahead.

Odd Thomas is back in a three part Ebook series before the release of the long awaited Odd Apocalypse. I have the three issues and have finished number 1, and as always I must say I AM HOOKED. And for more than just the reason of the wandering fry cook. Dean has returned to - what I...more
Kevin Neilson
I found myself delayed in the airport with all of my books exhausted and was forced to buy a book in the terminal. These are the options I had: Michael Crichton novels, somehow written since he died; teen vampire romances; teen werewolf romances; adult western romances; smut; and Dean Koontz. I should've gone with the teen werewolf romances. I'd never read Dean Koontz. He appears to have written this book in two hours with not much of a plan. Important characters introduced in the first chapter...more
Chris
Fans of Odd Thomas MUST read this three-part Odd Thomas novella series, leading up to the late July release of Odd Apocalypse. #2 and #3 will be released a week apart, which #1 having been released last week. These are only available as ebooks, folks! But what makes this #1 novella exciting as hell for Koontz fans is that our would-be and sometimes reluctant hero finds himself in the midst of another horrendous mystery, drawn to the tiny community of Harmony Corners, right outside of Moonlight B...more
Christine
After quite a hiatus with the Odd Thomas books Mr. Koontz seems to be cranking them out fast and furious over the past year. (I believe another is being released in the not too distant future) As the title suggests this book is an “interlude”, time-wise falling somewhere between the last two books. I understand that these books are supposed to be Odd’s memoirs but it can be a little confusing when he refers to a future event, that the reader has already read about.

This “interlude" takes place in...more
Jeremy
The fourth book in the series, Odd Hours, referenced "Mystery Train" and Fort Wyvern from the Moonlight Bay series which made me hope that Koontz might write another book with Christopher Snow as a main character. He hasn't yet, and I don't think this is much of a spoiler since it was hinted at in the last book, but Odd Interlude references Moonlight Bay in a much bigger way. I've only finished part 1 and now I have the second part on hold through the library, but because of the cliffhanger end...more
Dany
Was anybody else as excited as me with that connection to Moonlight Bay? I think dear Mr. Koontz has been yanking our chain when he said he decided against connecting Odd and Chris Snow. I can't wait for next week to get part 2!
Matt
Jun 11, 2012 Matt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebooks
A great start and a few connections to the Moonlight Bay books (Fear Nothing & Seize the Night). good stuff. I can't wait till parts 2 & 3.
Amanda
**This review covers Odd Interlude #1, #2, and #3**

I love Odd Thomas. Seriously, if Stormy Llewellyn were still alive, she'd probably shoot me point blank for how much I love her man. The only thing that might keep her from blowing my face apart is learning how much I adore HER, as well. Over the past few books, Odd (or Koontz, if you want to get technical) has kept her memory vivid and sweetly painful. It's strange, we all love Odd, but not many of us would be horrified to see him die in action...more
Edward Lorn
I almost want to go back and lower my five-star rating on Odd Thomas and Brother Odd because of these ebook tie-ins. Quite honestly, they are better than the original book. I will try and do them justice in three separate reviews, beginning here with Odd Interlude #1.

First and foremost, you do not need to read Odd Interlude to continue with the Odd Thomas storyline, but if you choose to skip them (hopping from Odd Hours directly into Odd Apocalypse) you will be missing out on some of the best st...more
wally
this title is a bit...ummmm, deceptive, as there are, what? 3-4 odd thomas stories that precede this one? and...i'd hazard that reading this one before the other'n-s could lead to spoilers...the dreaded spoiler. be cautious...be very cautious.

odd interlude #1 an odd thomas story
i've read so many of koontz's stories, have enjoyed all of them, some more so than others, and his odd thomas stories are really good. odd is an easy character to like, so unpretentious, except when he's pretending, and e...more
Josh
"Harmony Corner (is) not precisely a prison and not in scope (of) an empire, but a pocket universe akin to a primitive island on which a god carved of stone demands absolute obedience, with the difference that this false deity is capable of brutally enforcing its demands."

'Odd Interlude #1' serves as little more than a partial rest-stop on the way to 'Odd Apocalypse'. The story itself centres around a mysterious entity that has hold of the inhabitants of a roadside outpost, making them do its bi...more
Katie Nelson
While this isn't my favorite of the Odd series, I still really liked it. I particularly liked the explanation of the events going on in Harmony Corner. It reminded me why I love this series, something I sorely needed after the deeply dark Odd Apocalypse. The other interludes might be enough to keep me occupied while I wait for the finale book in the series. Odd is definitely Koontz' best character.
Meredith Kaupp
Poor Odd, not even a day off from saving the world and he is in the middle of another mystery. I love this series. I'm really glad I waited until all three parts were out before I started, making this pre-release more of a mini-novel than a short story.

Oh, and I think I need to reread the Christopher Snow books after the shout out to his town. I wonder if Odd and Christopher are going to end up having an adventure together?!?! They would be a great team. :)
Ellen Thielen
Just finished all 3 of this series. I am a fan of Dean Koontz, and of the Odd Thomas character. In this case.. don't bother. The story is broken up into 3 parts even though it isn't necessary. It starts with good character development and a an interesting storyline. Then it veers so wildly into the supernatural that it's ridiculous...
Adriana Noir
Loved the first part of this novella. The writing here was much more quick, fluid, and quirky than Odd Apocalypse. Much more reminiscent of the Dean Koontz and Odd Thomas that I've grown to love. (Thank goodness for that!) My only complaint is it left off with a killer cliffhanger, ensuring you want to read the next one ASAP!
Donna
No idea at all how to rate or review this properly. As I mentioned in my update a few days ago, I was having quite a bit of trouble finishing the book, even though it's very short...

I think what it is is that Mr Koontz injected a LOT of purple prose into this book. I have a feeling there's a lot of it in all the Odd Thomas books. I haven't read anything else of his lately (tried 77 Shadow Street and didn't finish it), but I have a feeling this is an issue that's getting worse for him...

If you to...more
Casey Raehtz
After years of reading anything written by Dean Koontz I've gotten tired of his excessive writing style. I'm not sure if my reading tastes have matured or if I've just started to notice now, but I found myself skipping entire paragraphs in this story just so I could get back to the plot.
Amy (Demonkittie)
I don't know where this story is going, but I love it. Odd Thomas is a great character, and written very well. Here he ends up meeting the Harmony family and they are being possessed by something and held prisoner by it. This is the first of three and off to a good start.
Tim George
I can't help it; I'm a sucker for Odd Thomas. After what I considered a confusing 77 Shadow Street it's good to see Koontz back in stride with this novella. Excellent movement between POV and build toward a certain showdown at the end.
Angela
I've tried reading Koontz before and didn't really care for it, but I thought I would give this a try since it was a short read. Maybe I'm too impatient but I was just ready for the story to get to the point.
Shawn

This one got a lot of good reviews, however I had a hard time getting into it until almost at the end. Perhaps if i had read some of the prior novels this book would have made more sense.
Lunarbabee
I loved all three of these novellas! Odd is one of my favorite series and I was super excited about the mention of Moon Light Bay. I hope there is a cross over in the future.
Cristian Marrero
I have to give up reading this Odd series. Very little dialogue and it keeps on dragging with back ground detail. Not a fan.
MamaKat
Jan 18, 2013 MamaKat is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far, so good...I LOVE Dean Koonz, and Odd Thomas is my very favorite character ever. :)
Beth A.
Jul 29, 2014 Beth A. is currently reading it
I read this one on my kindle, too, but have apparently adjusted to the difference, or this one is better paced, because it flowed much more smoothly, and I only felt like I had to push through once or twice.

My kindle version had all three of these little story parts sandwiched together, which worked perfectly for me. And I didn't have any trouble with the realism (or really lack of) in this one. Annabelle didn't play much of a part in it.

I liked the suspense and spookiness, and the new characte...more
Steven
The three books that make up Odd Interlude are actually a single novel. I have not finished the fourth book in the series, Odd Hours, so I don't know if the author began turning the series more towards the horror/suspense then, but he definitely does here. Normally, that genre is not my cup of tea but the discursive manner that " Odd" narrates makes it a little easier to take for me. If you have made it past the first three or four, keep going. Don't start here, go back and find the first one. A...more
Shireen
This ebook is part one of three, really a novel cut into three to up the suspense (and profit) factor. I borrowed all three ebooks from the library: Odd Interlude #1, Odd Interlude #2, and Odd Interlude #3. This is a review of all three.

The most overriding characteristic of this story is -- compelling. I hadn't realised when I borrowed the first one that these three ebooks are structured as parts one, two, and three of one story, and so I ended up having to wait interminably for Odd Interlude #2...more
Kate
I missed you, Odd one! And if you had any idea the lengths I went to in order to get the ARC of Odd Apocalypse at BEA last week, your ears would burn. Yes, I'm aware that you are a fictional character and that so far this review is a bit crazypants.

So, Odd is back! His story picks up within hours of his and Annamarie's flight from Magic Beach where Odd basically saved the West Coast. Now he's at a motor court, that if it weren't for the freaky crap going down there I'd be tempted to stay at. De...more
Brock
Feb 22, 2013 Brock rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes the 'Odd Thomas' series (Dean Koontz) and/or stories of unlikely heroes.
Definitely the best 'Odd' adventure yet!

There are many aspects of this novella that I really liked, but what really struck home was the scene where Odd is trying to plan his next move in a meadow and starts sneezing and his eyes start watering and his nose starts running.

Koontz has always emphasized Odd's humanity, but somehow that scene made me realize that he's not a superhero, just an average guy with an exceptional gift who tries to use that gift to help others. It was comical and just made...more
Al

THERE’S ROOM AT THE INN. BUT YOU MIGHT NOT GET OUT.

Nestled on a lonely stretch along the Pacific coast, quaint roadside outpost Harmony Corner offers everything a weary traveler needs—a cozy diner,

Annamaria - Physical Description 6 35 Nov 18, 2013 08:43PM
  • Nightmare Journey
  • Thumbprint: A Story
  • Dragonfly
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • A Face in the Crowd
  • The Funhouse
  • To Read or Not to Read
  • Specimen 313
  • The House of Thunder
  • Extraction (Pendergast, #12.5)
  • Haunted Love
  • The Nightmare Within
  • A Vampire Among Angels (The Vampire from Hell, #2)
  • The Lake
  • The Doll
  • The Indie Eclective: The Halloween Collection
  • Linger
  • The Book Case

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na...more
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Phantoms Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)

“With his eyes squinted to slits, Donny reminds me of Clint Eastwood, if Clint Eastwood were eight inches shorter, thirty pounds heavier, less good-looking, with male-pattern baldness, and badly scarred.” 3 likes
“I possess everyone who sleeps in the motor court, roam their memories, and embed recurrent nightmares that will destroy their sleep for weeks after I’ve departed them.”
“I’d prefer a free continental breakfast.”
3 likes