Start by marking “Get Me in the Boat” as Want to Read:
Get Me in the Boat

Get Me in the Boat

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Rusty has brought his boyfriend, city boy Hale, home to the farm he grew up on. He wants to show Hale all the special things about his childhood, like the little row boat he used to paddle around the lake. Neither of them realized it would turn into a mini-adventure that would bring Rusty full-circle once he gets Hale in the boat. Nobody's complaining, though.
Published June 12th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Get Me in the Boat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Me in the Boat

Kaje Harper
I won an advance copy of this story, and loved every minute. Two great characters in a sweet, loving relationship with some heat, written in clear, lucid language with gorgeous subtext and understated humor. Can't wait for this author's full-length novel to come.
Alec
This was a really sweet moment with a couple who obviously mean a lot to each other that included some very hot sex in a boat. I've seen this author's work before and I swear each story gets better and better. He's definitely one to watch.
Justin
I was checking out Splinters by this author but was hesitant to spend $5 on a book by a new-to-me author. I found this book listing under the author's profile and noticed it was a free read. Cha-ching! This is a funny, romantic and mildly erotic little morsel or a story.

This was the perfect author test drive and now I'm off to purchase Splinters.
L.C.
This is such a sweet, fun, and sexy little read. Thorny just seems to have a natural knack for pulling so much emotion out of so few words, with a refreshing, lively voice and understated humor. This story may be short, but it leaves you with one of those warm happy smiles at the end that stays with you. Definitely looking forward to more from this up-n-coming author. :-)
Bev
Way too short for me to get in Rusty and Hale's heads, but I loved it just the same...and at least the boat didn't sink!! 4 stars. ^_^
Monika
Thorny Sterling I can't wait to read more from you! I love this little short, its sweet and romantic, it will make you sigh and it will make you laugh I couldn't ask for more....except maybe more of this story! :)
Sadonna
Really enjoyed this light and sexy read. Rusty and Hale are so cute - Rusty is so sweet wanting to take care of Hale. That first time getting into a boat and realizing how easy it can capsize can be very frightening. If you're a city kid, it's scary when you realize that the dock is not steady like solid ground. It's nice to see how tender Rusty is in trying to help Hale face his fear. Sure it's easy to laugh at somebody who is afraid of the water, but Rusty doesn't want Hale to feel bad. I also ...more
Thorny
Jun 12, 2012 Thorny marked it as books-by-me  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this :)

Goodreads finally let me upload the ebooks in here, so there's PDF, MOBI and ePUB available. Alternatively, you can still visit my blog and download them there: http://thornynotprickly.wordpress.com...

Thank you!
Diane
Fun, quick and hot read - and came to an end far too soon!
I hope to read more from this author, his blog is amazing, heartfelt, sweet, funny and very, ahem, heated, so I'm sure the fiction will be the same!
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Rusty and Hale are such a cute couple. Very enjoyable read that left me wanting to read more about them. Great job, Thorny.
Connie
Love it! Funny, short and sweet.
A great start for a new author.
Keep writing Thorny.
Deeze
A sweet little snippet, An author to look out for.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
What's the point of this?

The mc is Whiney and I don't like him. He seems like a little girl.

Why is he scared of water? Why not give him a life jacket?

When'd they meet? How long they been together? Where they meet?

The sex scene wasn't hot at all I was either laughing or grossed out by the terminology used. "Naked Nuts" LMAO. Not sure if this was meant to be funny but I sure laughed.

So first 43% is trying to get him into the boat. He's Whiney and screams about it. Then last bit is unsexy sex i
Jinai Singh
This is a fun read! Thorny has a unique and fun voice that will take you in and keep you there. Very good writing style and very fun short story! :)
Jewel
While this story is very short, just a scene, really, it is not light on impressions or emotion. I loved it.
Madison Parker
Short, sweet, and sexy! The perfect rendezvous for a pair of young lovers.

Hale's fear of something as seemingly simple as getting into a boat was spot on. Been there! Try hopping onto a jet ski for the first time from a floating pier. It's terrifying.

I really enjoyed this short, and I hope to read more from Thorny in the future. In the few shorts I've read, his characters are relatable and have a lot of heart. The dialogue and settings are believable as well.
Alder
Jun 14, 2012 Alder rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
This is a sweet and hot short story.

Rusty and his boyfriend, Hale, are visiting Rusty's family in the country and Rusty is really enjoying showing Hale, a city boy, what his life was like growing up.

Their interaction is gently humorous and I love that the sex scene isn't just a sex scene but is Rusty's long ago daydream coming true in the rowing boat where he first came out to himself.
A
Sometimes it's nice to get just a short glimpse in the life of an already established couple in love. There's no angst (unless you count Hale's fear of the boat!), but just a couple of guys who need a little privacy during a crowded family get-together. It was sweet but steamy, and was humorous and well-written. I'd love to read more from this author.
mc
To echo others, I very much enjoy how Thorny expresses so much in setting, mood and plot in such few, well-placed words. He has an engaging voice, and creates likable (I almost wrote lickable, which would be ok, too, I think) characters. I, too, look forward to seeing more from this new author.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Cute short, I liked the MC's, they seemed a bit like opposites attract, but *sigh* as usual in such a short story I just get enough to want to know and see a more.
This is a good teaser for a(possible) longer story about these two!
Kat
I really enjoyed this short story. You are amazing T. Keep writing and doing your thing I am sure you'll be one of my most sought Author to curl up with and read what has been written.

Much Love,

Katty Kat
Dianne Hartsock
Sweet and sexy. Two of my favorite things! A quick, fun read I'm still smiling about. Loved these two characters and hope to read more about them in some future story. *hint hint* :)
Ann
Short and sweet, a perfect little snack story. The MCs were funny and loving, their banter was sweet and the writing was good. I would definitely look for more from this author.
Winterstale
Great story Thorny! Sweet and sexy.
i really like the way you write.
I'm looking foword to read more of your story, waiting for your frist book.
Good luck!
Melissa
Jul 01, 2012 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
loved this short little story. The author has a definite knack for writing and can't wait for something longer someday... hopefully sooner rather than later:)
Bookbee
I love it when a story makes me smile the whole time I'm reading! Thorny has such a natural style to his writing that makes it a pleasure to read!
Marsha Spence
I loved it! It was sweet and cute and funny. Well written. Just a little snippet in their lives together. Great!
Alicia
Cute, very cute. It was fun and sweet and just what I needed to bring a smile to my face today. Nice job.
Carey
Re-read: 1/9/13

Loved this short story, it's cute, hot and steamy :) Can't wait for Thorny's next book :)
Christy T
what a wonderful, great and heartfelt story! Loved it!!! Can't wait to read more from Thorny Sterling.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
It all started with a blog, a lunch receipt, and the hope of true love.

In 2010, with the encouragement of his blog followers, Thorny Sterling wrote his email address on the back of a receipt and gave it to a returning customer who’d caught his eye. One email and a four-hour phone call later, their fates were sealed. Thorny and his husband Jazz have been together ever since.

On his blog, Thorny writ
More about Thorny Sterling...
Splinters

“He’d desperately wanted a boyfriend to lavish with affection and attention. He’d longed to know what it felt like, smelled like, tasted like to love someone.” 4 likes