Start by marking “Frugal Gourmet Ideas: Secrets to Saving Thousands in the Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Frugal Gourmet Ideas: Secrets to Saving Thousands in the Kitchen

Frugal Gourmet Ideas: Secrets to Saving Thousands in the Kitchen

3.05 of 5 stars 3.05  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Author and official coupon fashionista, Charmaine Gerber has had nearly a two decades of experience in the fine art of frugalness in the kitchen and she estimates she saves her family around 5 thousand dollars a year with a simple system that anyone can implement.

Despite her frugalness in the kitchen her family is well fed and they enjoy healthy, delicious meals every tim
Published April 26th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Frugal Gourmet Ideas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frugal Gourmet Ideas

Jenna
A good basic book to learned how to be economical, and particularly dealing food scarcity......and still had a good food in your belly. There was some good recipe inside to teach you how to make cheap homemade food instead of spending it on expensive ingredients unnecessarily needed.

The good advice that I'll remember was don't buy more than you can eat, freeze or can, though, unless you plan on sharing it with friends. Otherwise, it get wasted and ended up in a trash.
Brittany
I thought this book was okay. Granted I got it as a freebie, so if I had paid for it I might have liked it less. I felt like a lot of the stuff about buying groceries was something that I already do, and that most probably already do. I could be wrong about that though, so that part wasn't super helpful to me.

What I did like was the ideas for fast and easy meals with recipes included. Some I am definitely going to try, others seemed a bit long to me. It was really nice that she put the cost per
Gaylin Walli
Honestly there wasn't a lot here that couldn't be found in hundreds of other books on living frugal lives. Good basics. Bad book formatting. Given that it was free, however, I can't complain too much.
Tina
Rated G. As an addicted couponer and eager cook, I didn't find anything too revelatory in this book. I did just throw out some homemade rolls last week that had become stale and Ms. Gerber suggested using stale bread to make bread crumbs or stuffing, which was a neat idea. I will have to try her Spicy Pumpkin Bread and Breakfast Burritos recipes as well.
Victoria
Tysh Francis
This was a quick and easy read with some good basic information, but I felt like I wasn't learning anything new. Most of the charts weren't formatted correctly for me and were really hard to read. However, I did enjoy seeing some of the included recipes and the price conversions or savings.
Diana Hershberger
Good ideas

Truthfully, my old age allows me to remember these hints,but I need to share them with my daughters.... and soon!
Peni
Good resource to have on hand.
Andrea
Quick read and some good ideas for being more frugal and mindful of your shopping and food planning. There was very little here that I didn't already know, but still a nice review and it included some good reciepes.
Jan 20, 2013 Sarah rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I didn't learn anything I didn't already know in this. It was pretty basic and obvious. One thing I did like about it was the recipies which I will try a few.
Justine Monikue
Provided helpful tips, knowledge, and recipes that I'd like to try.
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Nicole Peltz
Nicole Peltz marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Mark
Mark added it
May 18, 2015
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Andrea Holsonback
Andrea Holsonback marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Josetta
Josetta marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Maria R Beermann-Foat
Maria R Beermann-Foat marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Mary
Mary added it
May 06, 2015
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Susan
Susan added it
May 01, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
  • Joyful Momma's Guide to Shopping & Cooking Frugally
  • 30 Delicious Refrigerator Cake Recipes
  • Salads for Every Season: 25 Recipes from Earthbound Farm
  • Mediterranean Cuisine: 120 Easy and Delicious Recipes for Happy Family Meals
  • The Slow Cooker Cookbook: 87 Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Recipes for Slow Cooked Meals
  • Slow Cooker 101: Master the Slow Cooker with 101 Great Recipes
  • Pies and Mini Pies
  • Circle of Friends Cookbook 25 Brownie & Bar Recipes [Kindle Edition]
  • The Art of Perfect Bread Baking
  • Frugal Cooking With Beans: Over 40 Deliciously Simple Bean Recipes Using Dry & Canned Beans
  • Quinoa Recipes: The Ancient Superfood Cookbook
  • Satisfying Slow Cooker Meals and More
  • From My Slow Cooker to Yours : 70 Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes From Dinner To Dessert
  • Retro Family Recipes : Old Fashioned Recipes from the 1960's-1990's
  • Pizza Pie in the Sky: A Complete Guide to Pizza
  • 1,001 Best Slow-Cooker Recipes: The Only Slow-Cooker Cookbook You'll Ever Need
How I Paid 8 for 170 Worth of Groceries Confessions