Start by marking “Frugal Gourmet Ideas: Secrets to Saving Thousands in the Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Frugal Gourmet Ideas: Secrets to Saving Thousands in the Kitchen

Frugal Gourmet Ideas: Secrets to Saving Thousands in the Kitchen

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Author and official coupon fashionista, Charmaine Gerber has had nearly a two decades of experience in the fine art of frugalness in the kitchen and she estimates she saves her family around 5 thousand dollars a year with a simple system that anyone can implement.

Despite her frugalness in the kitchen her family is well fed and they enjoy healthy, delicious meals every tim
Published April 26th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Frugal Gourmet Ideas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frugal Gourmet Ideas

A good basic book to learned how to be economical, and particularly dealing food scarcity......and still had a good food in your belly. There was some good recipe inside to teach you how to make cheap homemade food instead of spending it on expensive ingredients unnecessarily needed.

The good advice that I'll remember was don't buy more than you can eat, freeze or can, though, unless you plan on sharing it with friends. Otherwise, it get wasted and ended up in a trash.
I thought this book was okay. Granted I got it as a freebie, so if I had paid for it I might have liked it less. I felt like a lot of the stuff about buying groceries was something that I already do, and that most probably already do. I could be wrong about that though, so that part wasn't super helpful to me.

What I did like was the ideas for fast and easy meals with recipes included. Some I am definitely going to try, others seemed a bit long to me. It was really nice that she put the cost per
Gaylin Walli
Honestly there wasn't a lot here that couldn't be found in hundreds of other books on living frugal lives. Good basics. Bad book formatting. Given that it was free, however, I can't complain too much.
Rated G. As an addicted couponer and eager cook, I didn't find anything too revelatory in this book. I did just throw out some homemade rolls last week that had become stale and Ms. Gerber suggested using stale bread to make bread crumbs or stuffing, which was a neat idea. I will have to try her Spicy Pumpkin Bread and Breakfast Burritos recipes as well.
Tysh Francis
This was a quick and easy read with some good basic information, but I felt like I wasn't learning anything new. Most of the charts weren't formatted correctly for me and were really hard to read. However, I did enjoy seeing some of the included recipes and the price conversions or savings.
Diana Hershberger
Good ideas

Truthfully, my old age allows me to remember these hints,but I need to share them with my daughters.... and soon!
Good resource to have on hand.
Quick read and some good ideas for being more frugal and mindful of your shopping and food planning. There was very little here that I didn't already know, but still a nice review and it included some good reciepes.
Jan 20, 2013 Sarah rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I didn't learn anything I didn't already know in this. It was pretty basic and obvious. One thing I did like about it was the recipies which I will try a few.
Justine Monikue
Provided helpful tips, knowledge, and recipes that I'd like to try.
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Murphy marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Anne marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Sue Mcneill
Sue Mcneill marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Meredith Peters
Meredith Peters marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Deanna marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Becky marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Meg Venz
Meg Venz marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Erika Rodriguez
Erika Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Becky marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Debi Smithson humphrey
Debi Smithson humphrey marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
  • Joyful Momma's Guide to Shopping & Cooking Frugally
  • Salads for Every Season: 25 Recipes from Earthbound Farm
  • Slow Cooker 101: Master the Slow Cooker with 101 Great Recipes
  • The Slow Cooker Cookbook: 87 Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Recipes for Slow Cooked Meals
  • 30 Delicious Refrigerator Cake Recipes
  • Pies and Mini Pies
  • 1,001 Best Slow-Cooker Recipes: The Only Slow-Cooker Cookbook You'll Ever Need
  • Mediterranean Cuisine: 120 Easy and Delicious Recipes for Happy Family Meals
  • Circle of Friends Cookbook 25 Brownie & Bar Recipes [Kindle Edition]
  • Frugal Cooking With Beans: Over 40 Deliciously Simple Bean Recipes Using Dry & Canned Beans
  • Retro Family Recipes : Old Fashioned Recipes from the 1960's-1990's
  • Quinoa Recipes: The Ancient Superfood Cookbook
  • 101 Quick & Easy Cupcake and Muffin Recipes
  • Chicago Cooks: 25 Years of Chicago Culinary History and Great Recipes from Les Dames d'Escoffier
  • Easy Slow Cooker Recipes for Busy Moms
  • A Lifetime Of Secret Recipes: 500 Southern Recipes From A Mother's Kitchen
  • The Art of Perfect Bread Baking
  • Pizza Pie in the Sky: A Complete Guide to Pizza

“Thrift is not an affair of the pocket, but an affair of character.-S.W. Straus” 0 likes