Odd Interlude #2 (Odd Thomas, #4.2)

Odd Interlude #2 (Odd Thomas #4.2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  2,497 ratings  ·  108 reviews
Leading up to the highly anticipated arrival of "Odd Apocalypse "this summer, catch up with Odd Thomas in "Odd Interlude, " a special three-part eBook series by #1 bestselling master of suspense Dean Koontz Here is the spine-tingling 72-page second installment of this super-charged stand-alone Odd adventure.
THERE'S ROOM AT THE INN. BUT YOU MIGHT NOT GET OUT.
Nestled on...more
Published June 18th 2012 by Bantam

Josh
The mangled picture of the mysterious presence controlling the inhabitants of Harmony Corner starts to form as Koontz elaborates on its origin and hints at a broader purpose in the second Odd Interlude. Odd Thomas, having confronted a monster buried deep beneath the surface has a flashlight of realisation shone upon him by resident Jolie, a 12yr old girl who has paid the ultimate price for deception and indecent thoughts against her handler.

Annamaria, one of the more interesting characters to g...more
Chris
The second installment of this novella series, leading up to the July 31st release of Odd Apocalypse, has our would-be and sometimes reluctant hero exploring the dark mysteries of Harmony Corner, a seemingly idyllic seaside community on the outskirts of Moonloght Bay and sinister Fort Wyvern, the setting for his Christopher Snow novels. In #2, Odd discovers why the Harmony family has been victims of the malevolent Hiskott, largely thanks to the tough but precocious Jolie Ann Harmony, who leads O...more
Dany
I'm so excited to be in Moonlight Bay and inside Fort Wyvern again and I'm really liking this "new" character that Jolie meets! Getting to know the girl Jolie is fun, especially with what she is exploring and she has the signature qualities that Koontz gives to his child characters that makes me smile as she goes on her adventure. Odd's handling of the truck driver and what he had to do was so Odd, I love him. He handles everything with a sense of humor, while being afraid, brave, and polite all...more
Kim
Odd Thomas has started the chaos that will allow him to confront the enemy in Harmony's Corner. This is so good. Loved how it started exactly where Interlude #1 ended and does the same thing at the Interlude #2. Can't wait to see how this situation is resolved!
Tim George
Let's just say these novellas are so good, and so classic Koontz at his best I wish there were more. Oh wait, there is a #3. Good for us.
Leigh
I absolutely love Odd Thomas. He's so funny :) This is a great story and I can't wait for Odd Apocalypse.
Mark Turner
Koontz is back to his best with these Interludes. Can't wait for the final part now.
Olga DiLenge
The Odd Interludes are three short books, so you have to read them in order.
Karen Hartshorn
Still love Odd! Can't wait for Odd Apocalypse!
Shireen
This ebook is part two of three, really a novel cut into three to up the suspense (and profit) factor. I borrowed all three ebooks from the library: Odd Interlude #1, Odd Interlude #2, and Odd Interlude #3. This is a review of all three.

The most overriding characteristic of this story is -- compelling. I hadn't realised when I borrowed the first one that these three ebooks are structured as parts one, two, and three of one story, and so I ended up having to wait interminably for Odd Interlude #2...more
Edward Lorn
Welcome back! Glad you found me. Now, let's talk about Odd Interlude #2.

This continuation of the first novella is full to the brim with action, mystery, horribly happenings and hilarious moments. I have read lengthy novels that weren't half as interesting as this novella.

Odd has to make some hard decisions in this book that I didn't expect. I loved every one of them, just didn't think he would go there. Odd changed a lot during the previous book in the main series, Odd Hours, and has grown into...more
Scott
Jun 28, 2012 Scott rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone with a pulse!
Recommended to Scott by: Found [book: Odd Thomas] at the Library.
Shelves: odd-thomas, nook-book
I truly did not know how much I have missed Oddie. I have read other of Dean Koontz's novels but nothing has enticed me as much as this story has. I haven't read the Frankenstine series, which seem to have a similar Goodreads rating to the Odd Thomas series, perhaps I'll give them a go.

Like a recalcitrant child, I had to force myself to close my eyes and go to sleep last night and not start the third Interlude. I'm sure that I'll have that installment finished by this evening and then I get to...more
wally
time moves along, hey? i read odd interlude #1 back about a couple three months ago, just finished...and...the link tool is sleeping again so i can't link odd apocalypse...that i finished last night...and #3 is also available and on the kindle as i write...so...onward and upward.

#2 picks up where #1 left off...begins:

eight (as in chapter 8)
darkness has its charms, and even in out hometowns, the world at night can be as enchanting as any foreign port with its exotic architectures. between dusk an...more
Cindy
The iTunes version, not Kindle or Nook . . .

Ok, Dean - I love Odd, and I've enjoyed some of these prequels you released for other books so I thought for sure these 3 would be great. There I go thinking again . . . these are one story, published in three separately purchased volumes -so I'm feeling kind of ripped off about that. Then, to add to my feelings of being economically duped, Volume 2 - this volume - has at least three places where the text repeats itself for a page or two and then story...more
Rhonda
Jul 22, 2012 Rhonda rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Odd Thomas/Koontz fans, anyone who likes suspense, horror
I love Odd Thomas! This review is based on all 3 episodes of ODD INTERLUDE. I love the Odd Thomas character and while this isn't the best Odd Thomas book, it was definitely good. I read the episodes back to back so it had the feeling of reading a novel length book. I'm kind of worried about what will happen to Odd in the next book. But I'll read it. As for this one, I enjoyed it and was sad to see it come to an end.

I have no idea why Koontz or his publishers decided to go this route with INTERL...more
Kaycee Looney
Ok, so waiting for days to find out what happens next is NOT my favorite thing. But, it's better than waiting years, right? Um . . . sure.

Well, Odd has gotten himself into a real crazy situation in this installment. He's befriended one of the Harmony family - Jolie. The only one who seems to be able to help him(but I won't spoil it by telling you how).

And now Koontz has brought Jolie in as a storyteller. Now, she's only 12 but has seen a lot of terrible things in the world - so she doesn't scar...more
Mo
Read parts 1, 2, and 3 as a complete combo ebook.

A little better than the previous two Odd books (Forever Odd and Brother Odd) but still some over-description & meandering in pacing (as Koontz is wont to do) and the climax of the story was too easily wrapped up compared to all the build-up.

And why was the character Annamaria with Odd? She never really played much of a part in this story ~ only mentioned briefly in the beginning and then shortly at the end. I guess she's going to be importan...more
Too often Koontz diverged into little rambles, especially with the character of Jolie. Explaining it in the the third book doesn't excuse the relatively pointless sidelining of the story. Another BIG issue is Koontz's inability to reconcile his need for pop culture references with the actual time frame of the stories. If the original book was set in the year of its publication (or even a year before when he wrote it), then Justin Bieber is not even a household name yet in these stories. I liked...more
Jenn
Aug 17, 2012 Jenn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
The action is definitely escalating in this installment of Odd Interlude. It is fun getting to know Jolie, even if she seems like a more cynical and sarcastic version of Odd. I'm also really liking Ed. But my favorite interaction is between Odd and the truck driver. It's so great to see Odd try to act like a bad ass but still end up like that polite boy next door.

I was originally irritated that I was somehow unaware of these novellas when they were initially published (mere weeks ago). But now I...more
Kimberley
It's hard to rate this "interlude" on its own merits without thinking of all three parts as one whole. Overall I enjoyed the story, even though, as I said in my review of the first installment, the focus is a (view spoiler) instead of ghosts. No ghosts at all are featured in this story. This installment, as does the first one, ends on a cliffhanger that would have been very frustrating had I not waited until all three parts were available. There's a good deal...more
Kari Ramirez
We're given details about the happenings at Fort Wyvern and how it relates to the nightmare at Harmony Corner. We find out why Jolie is so important and Odd begins his journey back to Harmony Corner to find Dr. Hiskott.

Things are really getting going and I'm torn between staying with Odd and the new POV of Jolie. I'm not sure what's more interesting. Jolie speaks similar to Odd, although Jolie's more sarcastic where Odd is self deprecating.

Another cliff hanger ending, which is what you deserve...more
Paula
Ok I didn't know this was a 3 parter and I read no2 first
Linda
This is not free-standing; it is the second third of a novel. Read them together or you will be very frustrated.
Barry Simiana
As I've said before, i believe Odd Thomas to be one of the best recurring characters to come through in ages. and now that he's playing in the guts of Moonlight Bay, well so much the better.

Loving this little slide into Odd Apocalypse. Good ideas, as always great writing style. Odd has a character voice immediately recognisable. Plus a hint at Odds past that hasn't been overly explored yet.

Now into book three.

My only regret : I didn't wait for the "all three episodes in one book" book
Ann
..... not that I don't love a serial novel, but I am eager for this segment to be done and the third completed shortly. I want to start Odd Apocalypse and to be caught up with Odd before starting it. To be sure, my goal is for this novella to be read before I start. Should have read it when it was released back a few weeks ago.
It is good to catch up with Oddy though...
Joe Bolin
Odd Interlude has, so far, given me everything I love about the Odd Thomas series: humor, suspense, well-drawn characters, and just the kind of isolated setting I enjoy. Both books have ended (not surprisingly) with cliffhangers; in fact, book 2 offers a double dose! I'm glad to get reacquainted with Odd before the release of the fifth novel at the end of July.
Naomi
I listened to this in the car during my weekend commutes for work. Not something I would have picked up on my own, but borrowed from my dad. Served its purpose well. Kept me entertained during the long drive. Interesting story lines and random twists and turns. I wouldn't revisit this, but I do want to see how the next part of the story turns out.
Daniel Pyle
3.5 stars.

Like part one, this started out pretty slow. On top of that, Koontz wasted a POV switch that could have added some variety to the narrative voice by giving the second narrator almost the exact same tone, which is a bit ridiculous when you consider that the second narrator is a twelve-year-old girl.

I hope part three is better.
Greg
Not bad...a return to his earlier work involving "reasonable extensions" of existing recombinant DNA research, coupled with the fantasy of Odd's...oddities. Better than others of his more recent works, but still wordier than he used to be. Too much inane chatter from the characters, and overuse of "SAT" words, as my kids like to call them.
Kilgallen
This is the second of the odd interlude stories which is really just one story broken into three pieces. This one certainly suffers a bit from "middle book" syndrome that we see so often in trilogies. That being said however it is a story of Odd which makes up for everything else.....I just love this charater! Part three here I come!
  • Nightmare Journey
  • Thumbprint: A Story
  • A Face in the Crowd
  • Dragonfly
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Specimen 313
  • A Vampire Among Angels (The Vampire from Hell, #2)
  • Extraction (Pendergast, #12.5)
  • Loss
  • Haunted
  • The Door to December
  • The Family Bones

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na...more
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Phantoms Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)

“The thing about me loving Harry is I'm twelve and he's maybe thirty or thirty-five, whatever, so he'll have to wait like six years for me to grow up. I mean if he kills Hiskott and sets us free, he'll have to wait. He'll never do that. As kind and sweet and brave as he is, he probably has a girl already a hundred others chasing after him. So what I'll have to do is always love him from afar. Unrequited love. That's what they generally call it. I'll love him forever in a deeply, deeply sad kind of way, which maybe you think sounds pretty depressing, but it isn't. Being obsessed about a deeply sad unrequited love can take your mind off the worse things, of which there are thousands, and sometimes it's better to dwell endlessly on what you can't have than on what might happen to you at any moment in Harmony corner.” 2 likes