Start by marking “Killer's Island” as Want to Read:
Killer's Island
Preview

Killer's Island (Maria Wern #11)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  52 reviews
In Anna Jansson’s haunting crime novel, Killer’s Island, a brutal and disturbing murder in the mythic town of Visby on the Swedish island Gotland has taken place. The myth of the White-Sea Lady has existed ever since Tjelvar, the first man on Gotland, lit a fire and the island rose out of the sea, said to be some 3,000 years ago. The story is told that a young woman, who d ...more
Kindle Edition, English edition, 281 pages
Published May 29th 2012 by Stockholm Text (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Killer's Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer's Island

Jill
This is the first English translation of Swedish author Anna Jansson's crime series featuring Detective Maria Vern. Although this title is the 11th book in the series, Maria actually doesn’t figure much in this story, so I didn’t feel I was missing essential plot elements by not having read earlier installments.

On the Swedish island of Gotland, there have been a number of vicious and ritualistic murders. The killer seems to know a great deal about his victims, who share some similarities. Maria’
Skip
If like me, you are seeking other Swedish crime thrillers, I recommend skipping this one. It takes most of the book to understand the two lead characters (Detective Inspector Maria Wern and her friend/co-worker Erika Lund, a forensic technician), probably because this is Book #11 in a series. Maria stops to defend a young boy being viciously attacked by a trio, and is rewarded by being stabbed with a syringe filled with blood. The police are making no progress on this
case, when Maria is called
Susan
In the idyllic seaside town of Visby on Sweden's Gotland island, murders are cropping up. Cop Maria Wern is attacked and beaten when she tries to intervene when three masked men are stomping a young boy to death. Because she was involved, Maria is excluded from investigating this case, but she does get called to action when seemingly the same criminals begin killing other people in the same neighborhood. The novel asks some existential questions: do the police prevent or punish crime, for instan ...more
Rowena
"No hay nada que genere tanta culpabilidad como el amor. El amor y las deudas de gratitud, el amor y la traición, el amor y todo lo que uno es capaz de hacer para que no lo abandonen."

Ok, ¿por dónde empezar? Me gustó, pero hay muchas cosas que siento que tengo que criticarle.

Bueno, la historia en sí resulta muy atractiva y atrapa durante toda la lectura, pero cuando todo está centrado en los personajes, ahí es donde quise golpear a la autora... TOO. MUCH. DRAMA. Todo lo interesante del asesin
Lukasz Pruski
The story of Anna Jansson's "Killer's Island" takes place in and around the town of Visby on the picturesque Swedish island of Gotland. The story begins when three men attack a boy, and Detective Inspector Maria Wern unsuccessfully tries to stop the assault. She is severely beaten and injected with possibly infected blood, and the boy dies in the hospital. The plot includes two more killings, and Maria and her colleagues work on finding the connections and solving the cases.

It could have been a
Carol  MacInnis
Detective Inspector Maria Wern and her friend and co-workers Erika Lund, a forensic technician, were out for an evening when Det. Wern decided to head home. On her way, she heard a young boy's cry for help. Up ahead Det. Wern saw three men standing over a defenseless young boy punching and kicking him. When Wern yelled 'Police! Stop!' the men turned to her and gave the boy another kick and he appeared to stop moving. The men then went towards Maria and began hitting and kicking her until one of ...more
I really enjoyed this book. Her style reminds me a lot of Camilla Lackberg's, but a little darker. Most of the 'cast' is a bit tortured or dark, though they're easy to relate to and for the most part, likeable.

The mystery is good, and while it's well written, the ending wasn't a shock. Getting there was part of the fun though, and the plot twists were pretty creative.

I was a bit disappointed in Maria and Erika's choice of partner - both are strong women, and I had hoped their taste in men would
Greta
Maybe it's because this a later book from an ongoing series, but Maria and Erika especially felt like unexplored characters for me. I didn't care too much about them.
The first chapter is as easy as the first 20 minutes of saving private Ryan. I almost didn't keep reading. After the really brutal deaths were over, and I started my own hypothesis of who the murderer was, I was a lot more invested in the story, even though I wasn't attached to the characters.
Gretel
A truly awful book. The first to be published in English, but it is number eleven in the series, so you definitely feel as if you are missing some backstory. This being the eleventh in the series and the first to be published into English makes me think this is meant to be one of the strongest of the series. If I am right, I dread to think what the earlier books are like. Being so late in the series, I would've hoped Jansson would have honed her craft, but it reads like a shaky early attempt at ...more
Virginia
This book started out well, lots of red herrings to keep you guessing, but the actions and responses of some of the characters became unbelievable towards the end.
Jim Nolt
This is my twenty-first novel of the Scandinavian murder mystery genre. All have been real treats... some more than others... but each of the previous entries left me wanting to read more. Not so with "Killer's Island" by Anna Jansson. I had real difficulty getting into the story and even more difficulty getting to know Jansson's characters. Listening to the constant self-doubting inner thoughts of the various characters, as they fretted over weather they should do this or that, made turning eac ...more
Anna
En av Anna Janssons bästa böcker!

oj, vilken spänning hela boken igenom. Det gick inte att lägga ifrån sig boken.
Marla
I can't believe I'm the only person to give this one star.
Monica
How does one say BLEAH in Swedish? The book and the characters started out so so and went downhill from there. The law enforcement and medical professionals - all in their 30's and 40's - had romantic lives that would embarrass early teens and were utterly dim about what was happening to and in front of them. There was a whole big barrel of smelly red herrings and the final crisis was almost laughable.

I kept reading it because of a sort of morbid fascination - it couldn't get worse. But it did.
Sue
I purchased a copy of "Killer's Island by Anna Jansson, a Swedish crime writer, after I heard such good reviews about this novel. I was not disappointed, as this was a fast paced crime novel.

On the Swedish island of Gotland, there have been a number of vicious and ritualistic murders. The killer seems to know a great deal about his victims. He is highly intelligent, emotionally disturbed and full of anger. He is described as a man in a dark cape, a sleepwalker, a drunk and evil.

Maria Wern, a po
Jen
I'd looked forward to this recent translation of Anna Jannson's Maria Wern series because I liked Strange Bird so much. Killer's Island, however, did not appeal to me as much as Strange Bird.

Maria Wern is on her way home when she happens on three men brutally attacking a young boy. Her attempts to intervene result in her own severe beating. When the boy dies, Maria has a difficult time dealing with the boy's death and her inability to save him. She also must face her own injuries and the fact t
Allison Campbell

I guess I’ll classify this one as “meh,” but as it turns out to be the eleventh in the series, I think I’ll go back to the beginning and give the first a try. Unfortunately, the publisher decided to publish the eleventh book in English before any others, and the seventh after that, so it’s anyone’s guess as to when that might be possible. It’s a bizarre choice for a series. KILLER’S ISLAND was interesting and started out with promise, using the Gotland myt
Heidi
Ever since the The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson I have been exploring the genre of Scandinavian thrillers, and am always excited to read the works of a new (to me) author. This is the first of Anna Jansson’s books I have read, and I was drawn in by the premise of an old Nordic legend being connected to modern day murders.

One of the main protagonists. policewoman Maria Wern, is attacked early in the novel when coming to the help of a young boy being viciously assaulted by a group of men. T
Katelyn
Killer's Island is a good, fast paced murder mystery set on Gotland Island in Sweden. This is the 11th book in the Maria Wern series, but the first book I had read by Anna Jansson. One of the strongest points of the story, in my opinion, is that most of the characters were very relatable. Whatever questionable decisions were made, it would be easy to see oneself doing the same thing if placed in that situation, such as swimming out to sea to save someone you love.

In this story, Maria is attacke
Another good Swedish contemporary mystery. I got a little confused by the multiple similar characters sometimes, and the way that so many characters seemed to be connected and live right next door to each other was a bit unrealistic (as was the free flowing discussion between doctors and police and everyone else in this small town, apparently), but overall I enjoyed it.
Carol Feltes
Trying Maria Werner series

What I liked most about this book was the insight into Swedish life and culture. It was an ok detective story but I think decent detective work would have found the killer much sooner than this crew did.
Phyllis Gauker
Swedish thriller where you can follow the names with ease. Jansson makes believable characters in almost believable lives (at least emotionwise) so it makes for an easy read. Read foreign authors and you learn that we all have more in common than different.
Amy
Gale
A contrast from her first book! It was a page-turner, but I had already guessed the murderer. It's much more fun if you're not all that sure....
Karen Patterson
I had high hopes for this Swedish author, but it didn't make the cut for me and let me say this may not completely be the author's fault. This is the only one I could find translated to English in this "series." The mystery was good, but I felt like there were books previous that explain more of all the characters' history of which this book was lacking. Kind of like jumping into the middle of series and not knowing what's going on and with whom. I also felt the mystery was going along at a slow ...more
Martina
I love Maria Wern. The films are terrific and now we are starting to get the books in English. I really liked Strange Bird, but the beginning of this one is even more exciting! One of them will be coming to the Mystery Book Group after the first of the year....

This book is strong on psychological motivation, tense and exciting at times, and sometimes also quite creepy. The end came almost in too much of a rush of action. I still like the Maria Wern character though and how she has developed sinc
Reetta Saine
Ruotsalaiset naisdekkaristit ovat joukolla kääntämässä selkäänsä sille vähällekin yhteiskunnallisuudelle, jota monen alku-uralla kirjoista oli vielä luettavissa. Anna Jansson on yksi heistä.

Unissakävelijässä tapaamme jälleen yhden psykopaatin, jälleen epäonnistuneet perhesuhteet ja rakkaudettomuuden sekä suoraviivaisen kyökkipsykologian. Marian suhde Periin saa jälleen uuden iskun, eikä toivoa paljonkaan ole muuallakaan.

Pitkään olen jaksanut Marian ja lasten kanssa, nyt vedellään viimeisiä.
  • Dead of Summer (Anders Knutas, #5)
  • The Torso (Inspector Huss #3)
  • The Viper
  • Helsinki White (Inspector Kari Vaara, #3)
  • Cold Comfort (Officer Gunnhilder #2)
  • My First Murder (Maria Kallio, #1)
  • The Gingerbread House (Hammarbyserien, #1)
  • Frozen Moment (Christian Tell, #1)
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
  • Evas Öga (Inspector Konrad Sejer #1)
  • The Hand That Trembles (Ann Lindell, #8)
  • En plats i solen (Annika Bengtzon, #8)
  • Some Kind of Peace
  • A Raiz do Ódio
  • Art of Death (Death #1)
  • Boots for the Gentleman (Steamcraft and Sorcery Book 1)
  • The Disappeared (Fredrika Bergman and Alex Recht, #3)
  • FanGirl
Anna Maria Angelika Jansson is a Swedish crime writer and nurse from Visby, Gotland.
More about Anna Jansson...

Maria Wern (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Stum sitter guden (Maria Wern #1)
  • Alla de stillsamma döda (Maria Wern #2)
  • Må döden sova (Maria Wern #3)
  • Silverkronan (Maria Wern #4)
  • Drömmar ur snö (Maria Wern #5)
  • Svart fjäril (Maria Wern #6)
  • Strange Bird
  • Pojke försvunnen (Maria Wern #8)
  • Hylynryöstäjä (Maria Wern #9)
  • Haudankaivaja (Maria Wern #10)
Stum sitter guden (Maria Wern #1) Strange Bird Må döden sova (Maria Wern #3) Alla de stillsamma döda (Maria Wern #2) Drömmar ur snö (Maria Wern #5)