Jellicle Girl

Jellicle Girl

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  23 reviews
When Beth met Jackie, she was fifteen and shy, living in the shadow of her mother: talented artist Heather Sarandon. Jackie—wilful, cheeky and confident, made Beth see things in herself that she'd never imagined, and do things she never thought she would. As memories of Beth's last night with Jackie grow more like waking nightmares, Beth does everything she can to forget t...more
Published August 15th 2012 by Evolved Publishing (first published August 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Jellicle Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jellicle Girl

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
18th out of 968 books — 1,146 voters
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyWill Grayson, Will Grayson by John GreenBoy Meets Boy by David LevithanCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareAnnie on My Mind by Nancy Garden
Best YA Fiction with GLBTQQI themes / characters
324th out of 677 books — 1,835 voters

More lists with this book...

Emlyn Chand
Jellicle Girl is well done on every level, which is the highest compliment I can give to any book. The characterization? Flawless. The emotional resonance? Deep. The story line? Engaging. The writing? Oh, the writing! Written in a style that is reminiscent of Bernhard Schlink (best known for "The Reader"), Mikayne's prose is simple and accessible but still immensely powerful. The style feels effortless and not overwrought like many literary novels can become. Each word matters, each sentence con...more
John Hines
I am not the target audience for this book. I'm a 42 year old male, married, with children older than the main character. And yet...

The writing is compelling. The author's voice is clear and consistent, and the sentences are truly works of art. The words paint a beautiful picture. Setting and scene are woven tightly into one another, making a seamless world in which the story takes place. And none of this matters in the least, because...

The characters are real, living people. I was torn between...more
Lupita
Jane

Jellicle Girl is the story of Beth an intelligent but self harming sixteen year old from a broken home. Managing to fast track to university she is forced to attend counselling to help with the early transition, she is reluctant to go and tries to put off the inevitable but once she finally makes the move she finds herself opening up to Nancy in a way she never realised she could. I found it to be a thought provoking book, watching Beth’s inner struggles as she works through difficult memories....more
Eva Márquez
MY THOUGHTS
Beth is a complicated teenager, but it doesn’t simply stop there. Beth’s life is complicated. Her mother, who she refers to as ‘Heather’ is dedicated to her art and is an absent mother for all intensive purposes. Beth’s father, who lives across town in an apartment, is a freelance photographer and is often overseas taking pictures of the Masai warriors in Kenya, photographing aquatic life in the Great Barrier Reef and therefore rarely occupies his apartment. A traumatic event (not to...more
David Gallagher
I won this book in a recent giveaway, and I was quite glad since I'm not the winning type. The reason I entered the giveaway for this was mainly because - and I won't lie - it had the word "Jellicle" in its title. As a fan of Cats it prompted me to enter. I was glad to discover that this book does indeed have some ties to the musical...

Jellicle Girl is a fast, engaging read. A page-turner if you may. The characters are three-dimensional and engrossing, the plot believable. It's possible you will...more
Cheryl
This book grips you from very first page, detailing a young girls desire to escape home and the life she lives. Beth is a feisty character whose desperation to transform into the Jellicle beauty leaves her at odds with herself and prone to anger and self harm. The way the book is written you can't help but be rooting for Beth and intrigued to find out why she doesn't have a close relationship with her parents, seems at odds with the world and discover who Jackie is and where did she go?
The answe...more
Katie Speralda
[Originally posted on Fiction Predictions]
I'll start small and easy. I've never read a lot of contemporary or realistic fiction (I'm more of a fantasy and sci-fi fan – but you've probably known this from my blog), but Jellicle Girl held my attention just as those magical worlds. But instead, this is a world inside the mind of a teenage girl, who Stevie Mikayne has described with (to use her own words) “searing insight”.

The pacing of the book was a bit slow at first. In fact, I was struggling thr...more
Ana Popielnicki
I am in AWE. The depth and richness of the characters, the compelling flow of the story, the unbelievably masterful insight of human struggle, relationships, and pain. I have no words!

I am humbled by Ms. Mikayne's painting of life. Her words are incredibly powerful, beautiful, and so strong -- this book took my breath away, I literally forgot to breathe at some points. This is not a book, it is an experience. One cannot read it and not be affected.

One of my fellow reviewers said he wasn't the ta...more
Eryn
Jellicle Girl is one of those rare gems where you are not expecting much but instead you get everything you needed.
The characters are perfect. The storyline is engaging; complicated enough to be interesting, yet never confusing.
The issues are real and disturbing and give real insight into problems that many people are dealing with right now. And they become personal and you feel as if you are right there dealing with them too.
I cried and I loved this book and I feel like a better person for ha...more
Debbie "DJ" Wilson
This is a tough review to write. I felt the book started out a little rough. It seemed disjointed as the author was bringing in too many parts of the main characters life without explanation. It also felt a bit dated as the main character struggles with her sexuality in such abusive ways. So much so that she is waiting for her transformation into someone else. Maybe if the author had included an earlier time period this would have rang more true to me. The main character, Beth, is a 16 year old...more
Teresa Townsend
This is one of those books that you don't want to put down. I felt so many different emotions while reading it. I'll definately be looking forward to more books by STEVIE MIKAYNE. Great book!
Ciska
Author
Stevie Mikayne holds a Master in Creative writing from the Lancaster University. She has worked part time in special education, finance and at the children's library. Currently she is a creative writing instructor at Algonquin College.

Review
I received this book in return for an honest review.
I just finished the book and am sitting here wondering what to write. I have some mixed feelings about this book and am going to try to write them down.
I think the author touched to many possible stor...more
Pragya
Oct 13, 2012 Pragya rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone

If you follow my blog, you would know I go into a book blindly. I don't read the back cover, the book blurb or any of the reviews/spoilers before diving into a book. Sometimes it has been a boon, at others, I have found myself in the midst of a book I'm not enjoying at all.

With this book also, I was taking a risk. I didn't even know what the book title meant. A lovely friend of mine, Vicky from Books, Biscuits and Tea was asking for readers for this book and I opted in.

And... I am glad...more
Heather
I'm not really sure where to start.....this story was incredibly written. The characters felt real and almost like you were a fly on the wall. I cried.....and cried......and then cried a little more. The emotions were very real. How does someone not only come up with a compelling story but is so spectacular at writing it? Stevie Mikayne is unbelievably talented....and not too shabby a person either (minus the Canadian spelling *snicker*)I'm struggling for the right words to use to give this book...more
Pete Morin
This is a superb story, told by a wonderful storyteller.

The story behind Beth Sarandon's terrible pain and sadness is expertly revealed to us, bit by bit, until the inevitable denouement (which I will not spoil).

Wonderful main character, wonderful cast, beautiful language, and a story that will touch all of your emotions.

I would have given this 5 stars, but I was so enthralled throughout, I think I was expecting too much from the ending.
IndieHeart
I am a fan of coming of age stories, and I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Through the eyes of 16 year old Beth, the book explores themes of sexual identity, mental illness, and the terrible weight of secrets. The traumatic event at the heart of the book is slowly revealed through Beth's internal process as she lives her life and as she finds (and then loses) a caring therapist who helps her toward understanding.

I am always wary when a author instroduces the DSM diagnostic label for a character bec...more
Viga Boland
Jan 06, 2014 Viga Boland rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Viga by: Story Cartel
WOW … yet another terrific book from Evolved Publishing! I’ve read a few so far and I become more impressed with each one.

Jellicle Girl by Stevie Mikayne is superb. I received it free from Story Cartel in exchange for an honest review, but given how well this book is written and how much I enjoyed it, I’ll just say it’s worth twice the Kindle price! You won’t regret paying for this one.

Beth, a rather brilliant young teen is carrying a lot of emotional baggage as the result of her relationships...more
Amy
Seventeen-year-old Beth is forced into counseling in order to start early at University. Although she lived with her father, who's usually traveling abroad, and is estranged from get mother, Beth is virtually on her own. She cuts herself, suffers from depression, and seems to be mourning the loss (or death) of a close friend or lover. She's doing an internship in a group home with troubled children.
The idea of the plot is the best part of the book. The execution fails on mechanics. A good editor...more
Celeste
"Have the courage to be honest with yourself."

Who doesn't need that advice now and again?

A very readable book with an engaging central character. I enjoyed every minute.
Julia Kearney
This book is about a 16 year old girl who is struggling with mental health issues. Her self destructive behavior (cutting herself) is somehow tied to a sexual experience with a girlfriend several years ago at camp. Would this be like, when she was 13? I stopped reading it after she decides to have sex with one of her high school teachers. Really? Again, I was totally mislead by the reviews of this book.
Peggy
A really good story of a troubled teenage girl searching for answers and love in her family, her life, and for her future.
Shadow
Shadow marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Sam Shivy
Sam Shivy marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Jessica Aparicio
Jessica Aparicio marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Colette Covington
Colette Covington marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Kathy Casteel-bain
Kathy Casteel-bain marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
  • Torn Together
  • Back to Single
  • Desert Flower
  • Where the Sun Sets
  • Lily Does Sweden
  • After The Fires Went Out: Coyote (After The Fires Went Out, #1)
  • White Chalk
  • The Detective the Woman and the Winking Tree: A Novel Of Sherlock Holmes
  • Xor: The Shape of Darkness
  • Instinct (The Halfling Chronicles, Book 1)
  • Chaste
  • Valentina and the Haunted Mansion (Valentina's Spooky Adventures, #1)
  • Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite
  • Outcast (Apocalyptia, #1)
  • Snow Ashens Angels Fall (The Chronicles of Abigoth, #3)
  • A Place Called Perfect
  • Dangerous Memories
  • The Shattered Door
Weight of Earth UnCatholic Conduct Evolution: Vol. 2 (A Short Story Collection)

“- I see the real world, Nancy. But it doesn't seem real to me.
- How does it seem?
- It seems like an illusion that nobody notices.”
6 likes