Start by marking “Speaking My Truth: Reflections on Reconciliation & Residential School” as Want to Read:
Speaking My Truth: Reflections on Reconciliation & Residential School

Speaking My Truth: Reflections on Reconciliation & Residential School

“How did we get to where we are now? Until we understand that, our future together as Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples looks uncertain at best. This project is animated by a hope that debate—in the spirit of the catechesis itself—will take place in book clubs across the country, composed of people who like discussion and are energized, engaged, and jazzed by the journ ...more
Published 2012 by Aboriginal Healing Foundation

To ask other readers questions about Speaking My Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speaking My Truth

LibraryCin

This wasn't quite what I thought it was going to be. I thought it was going to be stories of First Nations people who were removed from their families and homes and placed in residential schools, where they were forced to forget their languages and cultures (and some were abused). Some of it was that, but there was more. Some stories were not from the POV of the person who was at the school, but by their children, and how they were affected, as well. There were also reactions to apolog
Emilee Layden
Jul 09, 2015 Emilee Layden rated it it was amazing
An important account of the Canadian past which also accounts for some present, continuing injustices

"Rather than bringing the past to life [some statements from apologies] seem to break our link with history, separating us from who we were and promoting the notion of our moral advancement. They also whitewash the ways in which Canadians still benefit from that past, stripping the apologies of remorse. Rendering them meaningless. Forgettable."
Krista McCracken
Sep 20, 2012 Krista McCracken rated it really liked it
A great introduction to ideas, history, and people who have been impacted by governmental assimilation or racism in Canada. Speaking My Truth is a well selected collection of short experiential stories and excerpts. The collection deals with reconciliation, Residential Schools, land rights, forced displacement, and a number of other dark spots in Canada's history. The book is accessible and contains many emotional stories that draw the reader in.
Rafael Maia
Extremely enlightening. Learned so much from this short, heartfelt collection of essays and reflections on the past, democracy, colonialism, and mainly reconciliation: what does it mean? Why does it matter? How does it fit in the broader attempt to go from a racist, destructive colonial relationship between two peoples towards a respectful, harmonious one...
Denise Loveless
Sep 30, 2013 Denise Loveless rated it really liked it
This book dealt with very difficult issues. This may be Canada but a lot of our true history never made it into our history books or was ever taught in our classrooms. Difficult to understand how one human being can treat another human being so badly for their own gains. Worth reading.
Melinda
Jul 03, 2012 Melinda rated it really liked it
Very interesting to read the perspectives from the different areas of Canada.
I was particularly moved by Madeline Dion Stout on a Survivor Reflects and Resilience.
Rachelina Larasati
Nov 16, 2015 Rachelina Larasati rated it liked it
Reading this makes me feel grateful to have a good education.
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Andrea Perrett
Andrea Perrett rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2015
Daniela
Daniela rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Leah Murphy
Leah Murphy rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2012
Jordan
Jordan rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2013
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2013
Kelly Lint
Kelly Lint rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2013
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2013
Helena Zhu
Helena Zhu rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Allison Cruickshank
Allison Cruickshank rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Pam
Pam rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2016
Anahit
Anahit rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Marie-Anne
Marie-Anne rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Luke Stevenson
Luke Stevenson rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2013
dawn Barton
dawn Barton rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Shelagh Rogers, OC (born 1956) is a Canadian radio broadcaster based in Vancouver. She is the host of CBC Radio One's The Next Chapter. On May 29, 2014, she was announced as the chancellor-designate at the University of Victoria.

Rogers grew up in Ottawa, Ontario. She was the "Head Girl" at her high school, Lisgar Collegiate Institute. She played in the Ottawa Youth Orchestra and was a spare on the
More about Shelagh Rogers...