Start by marking “A Name In Blood” as Want to Read:
A Name In Blood

A Name In Blood

Italy, 1605: For the ruling Borgia family, Rome is a place of grand palazzos and frescoed cathedrals. For the lowly artist Caravaggio, it is a place of rough bars, knife fights, and grubby whores. Until he is commissioned to paint the Pope...Soon, Caravaggio has gained entry into the Borgia family's inner circle, and becomes the most celebrated artist in Rome. But when he ...more
Published July 1st 2012 by Corvus (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Name In Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Name In Blood

Marleen
Aug 09, 2012 Marleen rated it really liked it
Book received from Corvus through Book Geeks.

Rome in 1605 is a place where powerful families are in competition with each other and not even the Pope has enough power to control everybody and everything. In a world where the mighty live in grand palazzos, surrounded by wealth, Caravaggio is a painter and as such considered a lowly craftsman.
Although Caravaggio’s work is starting to attract attention he lives in a place called “the Evil Garden”. A place called home by prostitutes, beggars and ot
Justin Neville
Jan 07, 2015 Justin Neville rated it it was amazing
I just read this book for the second time and my original review, as below, still stands.

More 4.5 stars than 5, but definitely more than 4!!

This won't be to everyone's taste but I found this novel of Caravaggio astonishingly inventive and beautiful - and, yes, unbearably sad. The psychological insight inherent in this portrayal - not just of the lead character, but of human life in general - feels movingly accurate and perceptively observed.

I read this novel very slowly. It wasn't a page turner
Judie
Nov 16, 2013 Judie rated it it was amazing
WARNING: To get the most from this book have internet access nearby so you can look at the two dozen Caravaggio paintings mentioned as you read about them. You may also find yourself heading to the closest museum with an original Caravaggio to see it with new eyes.
The title, A NAME IN BLOOD, is perfect for this book. It represents Caravaggio’s life as well as his masterpieces.
After the death of his father and grandfather in Caravaggio in 1577, Michaelangelo Merisi was taken in by the Colonna
Lucinda
Jul 28, 2012 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
Matt Rees merges crime with historical fiction to create an astonishing outcome, of a new novel that is a must read for any fan of compelling writing. This beautiful, striking hardback book stands out on any bookshelf with its intriguing cover and fascinating blurb, which cannot fail to capture ones imagination. Set in 1605 within the exquisite country of Italy that captures all your senses with the grand Palazzos, Frescoed cathedrals and historical art that makes up Rome, you feel as if you are ...more
Robin Carter
Dec 27, 2012 Robin Carter rated it really liked it
I'm a voracious reader of historical fiction, but not much historical crime fiction, I steer away from crime drama's where possible. But this one intrigued me, and im glad it did. The author appears to have a passion for the period and Caravaggio. The Borgia's are topical right now with the TV series and its nice too read contrasting characters and settings.
The true victory of this book is the passion of the author, while the story is well told and tragic, its the writing that transports you to
Robert
Jan 11, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
A Name in Blood is the story of Caravaggio, one of the most infamous painters, whose life was unusually full of depravity and violence. The story starts just as he receives a papal commission, and continues to follow his life until he disappears from the historical record.

The tale is largely well written and quite engaging, occasionally quite thrilling. The writing voice is generally good, but dialogue sometimes feels inauthentic and modern: this detracts a little from the reading experience.

Per
Hermien
Sep 28, 2015 Hermien rated it really liked it
I've read a few books about Caravaggio and I enjoyed this new take on C's death. It is also a pleasure to revisit the paintings and the stories behind them.
Francesca
Jan 24, 2015 Francesca rated it liked it
Nice but sad book, especially the way women are portrayed
Monthly Book Group
Mar 03, 2014 Monthly Book Group rated it really liked it
This 2012 book is about the life and death of the Italian Renaissance painter Caravaggio. Caravaggio fell out of fashion for a long period, and only re-emerged in the 20th century as a true great.
To write the book Matt Rees learnt to paint, studied the artist who inspired the book, visited galleries throughout the world and was taught sword fencing. What he then produced was a novel about power, love, duplicity and patronage.

His use of language was effective and sometimes shone. Thus the artist
Feb 21, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mreh. Nice idea, but it didn't take me with it.

Caravaggio is a bit of a dumbass who spends most of his time thinking of the terrible consequences of the most inappropriate thing to do and then doing it. And then wondering why he did it. And being full of woe. These constant punctuations of interjected woe really started to piss me off.

>So and so walked up to Caravaggio. I have just extracted myself from a terrible situation and am now safe. It would be a very bad idea if I insulted him. "You'
Ruth
Jul 02, 2013 Ruth rated it liked it
Shelves: history
c2012: FWFTB: Caravaggio, fruit-seller, Madonna, duel, Malta. What a beautifully written story but so sad! Not the ending that I was hoping for seeing as this was actually open to options. But still..a great read. I have gone through the body of work by this author and sadly the other historical book does not appeal to me purely because of the subject matter eg Mozart but I have reserved the first in the Omar Yussef detective series to see if and how the style changes. In a strange example of ...more
Tracy Terry
Jun 22, 2012 Tracy Terry rated it it was ok
A novel based on the life and subsequent disappearance of renowned 17th century Italian artist Michelangelo Merisi (Caravaggio) A Name In Blood takes a colourful look at life (and indeed death) as lived by many at that time whilst at the same time exploring what may well have happened to the artist.

Alas not altogether to my tastes, I feel that A Name In Blood is a story that will probably be enjoyed more by those with a deep love or at least a great appreciation of art as the author seems to co
P.J. Cadavori
May 10, 2013 P.J. Cadavori rated it it was amazing
This is an intriguing book which speculates about the life of Caravaggio. Arguably one of the greatest painters of all time, he had a life filled with anger, fear and constant fighting, both physical and verbal. His life was particularly difficult in spite of high-born patronage because he would not compromise his beliefs - slight shades of Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead? Matt Rees’ writing style gets you deeply into the life and loves of Caravaggio and it becomes a compelling story which ends ...more
Vivienne
May 29, 2013 Vivienne rated it it was amazing

Matt Rees again turns his keen mind for a mystery to consider the fate of the artist Caravaggio. Reading his notes and material on his website it is clear that Rees has immersed himself in Caravaggio's life and even taken up fencing and painting in his style and following in his footsteps.

It is a masterful work of historical fiction and certainly evokes the period.
Melisende d'Outremer
Loved it as the four stars indicate. I had only this year watched a movie about Caravaggio, and having read the premise of this tome, I was already intrigued. His life was notorious, he fate was mysterious, his work enduring.
Andrea Baretto
Feb 01, 2015 Andrea Baretto rated it liked it
Thriller, mistero, profezia e segreti non sono riuscito a trovarli in questo libro. Il titolo in italiano è, a mio parere un pochino lontano dalla storia che realmente viene raccontata.
Nel complesso la storia mi è piaciuta.
Jo
May 01, 2014 Jo rated it liked it
This novel follows the adult life of the artist Caravaggio and gives an explanation for his mysterious disappearance/death. I didn't know anything about Caravaggio beforehand so I couldn't say how much of a poetic licence had been taken. But, it was a good historical novel and I enjoyed reading it.
Adip Puri
Mar 01, 2013 Adip Puri rated it liked it
actually wanted to give it a 3.5
great for those who like art and history
not much crime though matt rees is a crime writer
Kldeighton
Kldeighton rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2015
Leyya
Leyya rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2014
Jane Gardner
Jane Gardner rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2015
P
P rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
April
April rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Jasmine Schwartz
Jasmine Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2014
Ibrahim Malkawi
Ibrahim Malkawi rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2015
Sarah rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2013
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
May 05, 2014
Mrs S.F. Wooderson
Mrs S.F. Wooderson rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
I'm an award-winning writer of international thrillers, mysteries, and historical fiction. My latest is THE DAMASCUS THREAT, the first in a series of thrillers about US ICE agent Dominic Verrazzano. This one is set in New York and Syria. My mysteries about Palestinian sleuth Omar Yussef won prizes in the UK, the US and France, including the UK Crime Writers Association New Blood Dagger. I've ...more
More about Matt Rees...