Start by marking “Cold Light” as Want to Read:
Cold Light
Preview

Cold Light (After Trilogy #2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The end of the world brings chaos, madness, and psychic powers. For Emma and Arthur, separated by an ocean, it brings a love that demands everything. Emma's beloved daughter is kidnapped by vengeful raiders, and Emma embarks on a soul-crushing journey to rescue her. When Arthur finds Emma, can she trust him? Against impossible odds, Emma draws near the rogue camp, where sh ...more
Published June 27th 2012 by Parvati Press

To ask other readers questions about Cold Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Light

Anzu The Great Destroyer
At least I’m not alone. I have Death to accompany me.

Long story short
After her daughter is taken by a band of raiders, Emma leaves her family behind and embarks in a trip to bring her back. The trip makes Emma cross paths with an old lover, Arthur, who is set on winning back her heart. Together they join forces to infiltrate the kidnapers’ group in order to get Emma’s daughter back.

My thoughts
Finding a good post-apocalyptic book is difficult because most of them follow the same story. 75 per
Ezinwanyi~the Impish Angel  (Oh My Shelves)
I don't know why Traci L. Slatton keeps torturing me! WHY? Ms. Slatton certainly knows how to keep you glued to your seat. Such great writing that I didn’t put this book down until I finished it. I knew I should have waited until the 3rd book came out because now I have to wait in agony. This was a great follow up to Fallen and I hope the author MAKES Emma take a stand. Don't take the choice out of her hands, please.

If you remember from Book 1, Emma and her youngest daughter Mandy were separated
Evelyn Amaro

Read my full review on Paromantasy
This book in one sentence: A haunting, heartwrenching, action-packed emotional rollercoaster of a read that will leave an impression on you long after your finish the book.

To say that I love this book or this series would be an understatement. Traci Slatton has done an immpecable job with what I thought would be an impossible hurrdle for her two main characters to overcome after the ending of Fallen. Not only did she do the impossible, but she made me love the c
Heather
Cold Light is book two in the After trilogy. It is a dystopian novel about a a woman who goes in search of her daughter who was stolen by raiders. Emma, the main character, is a mother of two and is married to Haywood. Book two picks up a short while after book one ended. Emma has returned home with her husband and left her lover, Arthur, behind in Europe.

The author creates a unique and rich world full of psychic abilities and the harsh realities of a post apocalyptic world. A "mist" has taken
L.A.
Posted first on Blog Critics as Book Review: 'Cold Light; Book 2 of the After Trilogy' by Traci L. Slatton.

Love is an emotion that is often difficult to understand. While deep and abiding, love doesn’t always dwell with one person. Love of a family member, love of a friend and love of that one special person meant just for you, often get twisted, especially when making choices in youth.

Such is the case for Emma, who in the beginning, Fallen: Book 1 of the After Trilogy, she hooks up with a team
JenniferJ
I have long awaited this second book, Cold Light, after the way Fallen ended. I was NOT dissapointed! Emma's daughter has been kidnapped by a rogue group and she goes on a suicide mission to get her back. I was very excited to be reunited with a few of the cast from Fallen and am still in anxious need of book three now to see how this all wraps up.

Emma is one strong and determined woman but Arthur is just as determined. I am torn on which way I want Emma to go because with the one man her husba
Rebecca Skane

Emma crossed an ocean and made it back to her husband in Canada. But raiders enter their safe zone and steal her other daughter. The man who saved her in Europe comes to her calling in Canada, despite her husband. Full review: Cold Light Book Review
Jasmyn
Emma has made is successfully back with her family (her husband and two girls), but she had to leave her new love, Arthur, behind. But Arthur isn't one to let someone he cares about just disappear and he is on his way to find her. In the meantime a group of raiders has kidnapped Emma's oldest daughter - and when they find the raiders I was surprised to see who it was.

In the book we get to see a little more of Haywood, Emma's husband, who doesn't want to let her go. Emma is going to need to make
Jen Rothmeyer
SYNOPSIS | It’s been about a year and a half since Emma flew away in a plane, sadly leaving Arthur behind. Things haven’t been quite right between her and her husband, Haywood, but she’s glad to be reunited with her oldest daughter. It’s been about twenty-six months since the mists first came to the world because of Arthur.

Holed up in the “Safe Zone” in Edmonton, Canada, many of the survivors of the apocalyptic event are surviving and banding together. The mists are starting to encroach upon the
April
Disclosure: This ebook was provided to me free of charge through NetGalley for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.

Really interesting tale that had my attention the whole time. The pace was wonderful and the characters engaging. Beautiful storytelling that kept me on the edge of my seat!
Tickled Pink for Book Ink
The AFTER TRILOGY is consuming me and I’m okay with that.

“I experienced a presence with me...The presence was a man. He was black-haired and gray-eyed, with a perfection and symmetry of feature that thrilled me. I had once been an artist, and even still, in this failing and obliterated world, beauty made an impression on me. Arthur’s beauty. Arthur who had loved me and hurt me in ways I couldn’t have imagined Before.”

A year and a half after Emma left Arthur for Canada to be with her husband, Ha
Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading)
I was enraptured by Fallen, book one of the After Trilogy. Slatton's voice, story-telling, romance, and world-building completely captivated me. Fallen was a book that I simply could not put down.

I expected more of the same when I started Cold Light, and while in many respects, Cold Light was just as good as Fallen, it lacked the intensity of book one. Fallen was so full of action and plot twists that I never knew what to expect next. Cold Light was singular in its mission to retrieve Beth from
Viviane Crystal
“Gun fire and war cries, screams of terror and hooves and explosive charges, rattled, boomed and whistled through the frigid air.” This is the beginning of Book Two of the After trilogy series.
A major raid on Emma’s village and the kidnapping of her daughter, Beth, tear Emma apart. In one sense, she’s lucky Beth is alive but doesn’t know where she’s been taken or what will happen to her by the brutal raiders who care not for life or death but only their own gain. It’s been over a year since the
Jael
If you haven't read Fallen by Traci L. Slatton, STOP reading now! If you read Cold Light without reading book 1 in the series, it won't make any sense. Some books you can get away with reading the series out of order, but not this one. Fair warning, if you haven't read book 1, what I'm about to write will spoil it for you!!

In this post-apocalyptic world, deadly mists are still a huge threat to society. If the poisonous gases don't kill you, it will plunge you into madness. All around the world,
Annette M Guerriero Nishimoto
Today's review is on Cold Light by Traci L. Slatton

A good book is sometimes hard to find, and a good series is even harder. When I finished reading Fallen, I was amazed at how much I liked it, so much so that it is listed as one of the Books You Got To Have here on my blog. Now, Cold Light; the second installment in Slatton's After Trilogy, will be added to that very same list.

Slatton's ability to weave a tale that is filled with adventure, loss and love is unmatched. Her writing makes it so eas
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Cold Light picks up over a year after Fallen left off. Emma has made it back to the Safe Zone in Edmonton, Alberta with Haywood and the girls, and quickly brings the reader up to date on how it happened. Even though my heart broke at the end of Fallen when she left Arthur, I understood her reasons. The story begins with Emma facing yet another hardship as her oldest daughter is kidnapped by raiders, and she realizes she must be the one to go after them. The rest of the story follows Emma as she ...more
Sandy
COLD LIGHT is the second instalment in Traci L Slatton’s After Trilogy focusing on the aftermath of a biological apocalypse and the men and women forced to make heartbreaking decisions. The storyline takes place 18 months after (Fallen) Emma escapes the mist-ravaged plains of Europe and the reality that the loss of billions of lives is in the hands of the one man she had grown to love.

With her family together in the safe zone of Edmonton, Emma’s thoughts continued to center around Arthur and hi
Layna B
I absolutely love the After series! Cold Light is such a thrilling, romantic, action packed book. I'm so glad to be able to continue to review the After series and I can not wait for the third to be released! Cold Light starts off with Beth, Emma's oldest daughter, being captured by bandits. Emma returns to Canada with her husband, Haywood. Although they have been married for several years, Emma's heart belongs to Arthur. Emma goes on an adventure, yet again, but this time it is to save her dear ...more
Jackie
Book Info
Published April 20th 2013 by Parvati Press (first published June 27th 2012)
ISBN 0989023249 (ISBN13: 9780989023245)
series After Trilogy #2

B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Rinn
Jan 16, 2015 Rinn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of dystopia
I received a copy of this book for free from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review. This review is also posted on my blog, Rinn Reads.

I debated for a while over the rating for this book. As I have not read the first book in the trilogy, there were some elements of the story that made no or little sense to me. But it seems unfair to rate the book down for that reason, when it is not the author's fault at all.

The very opening of the story cuts straight into a short battle, painting a pictur
Marina
Originally Posted: http://www.larissaslife.com/2013/09/m...

*No Spoilers !

Cold Light is the second book in the After Trilogy and it starts almost a year after the end of book one (Fallen).

After Emma and her daughter Mandy are reunited with their father Haywood and her smaller daughter Beth in the save heaven of Edmonton Canada another great tragedy strikes them; Beth is kidnapped by a rogue gang of half mad misfits and criminals.

So Emma begins a journey in the snow, alone, with only company a wil
drey
If you’ve read Fallen, you’ll know that it ends with raiders riding away with Emma’s daughter Beth. And if you’ve read Fallen, you’ll know that Emma isn’t going to let her go so easily – not after all she’s gone through to get back to Beth…

After arguing with her husband Haywood, and some friends, Emma heads off into the frozen wilderness. Alone. It’s an almost impossible task: she has to survive the cold trek on foot, until she can steal a horse – an offense punishable by death – and then ride u
BCMUnlimited
hhh, the After Series. Traci Slatton, why must you torture me so? I read Fallen, loved it. I read Cold Light, loved it. Now I must wait for what will seem like an eternity for the last of this amazing trilogy?? Why, Traci, WHY?!

Ok, I am in a bit of an over-dramatic mood at the moment, but I can't seem to help myself. After all, being on the emotional rack of pain from a book does that to me. So why all the fuss?

Anyone who knows me, or has read even a smidgen of my reviews knows that I tend to sh
Dianne
This is a story of survival in a dystopian, post-apocolyptic world written in a gritty and raw manner, no sugar coating allowed. A man-made 'fog' has been released on the world, destroying life as we know it and in its wake, if a person survived, they often gained varied psychic powers. Emma has been reunited with her family after leaving her heart behind in Europe with Arthur. Haywood, Emma's husband, knows something is not right, but clings to what they once had and the strength of having a fa ...more
Melliane
4.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

This series is really a great discovery for me. I fell in love with the first book and when I had the opportunity to read the second and third book in this trilogy, I admit that I did not hesitate. And I just loved this new story. I find it very interesting to read dystopias, but it is often easier to fall on good young adults ones in this genre than of good adults stories, but this one is really exciting.

The story takes us therefore some time after the
Anncleire
“Cold light” è il secondo volume de “The After trilogy” che segue “Fallen”. Questa è una trilogia che ho scoperto per caso grazie a Netgalley sempre fonte eccezionale di novità da leggere e di anteprime che altrimenti sarebbero passate totalmente inosservate. E vi posso assicurare che anche il secondo volume è spettacolare totalmente all’altezza del precedente e se le distopie vi affascinano questa non può di certo passarvi sotto gamba.
Mentre alcuni segreti vengono svelati, altri si vanno ad agg
L.V. Lewis
As is characteristic of her style, Traci L. Slatton begins Cold Light in much the same manner as Fallen–in the bosom of in medias res (Latin, in the midst of things). She begins just as the Roman poet Horace and Jack Lynch advises, in the heart of the story without preamble. The story also parallels Fallen because this time Emma’s eldest daughter, Beth, rather than her youngest, Mandy, is in danger. In fact, Beth is kidnapped by raiders and taken on horseback to places unknown as the book opens. ...more
Lydia Presley
Traci Slatton nails it with her follow up to Fallen. In Cold Light Emma is faced with hard decision after hard decision - and we're not talking about decisions on simply where to live or who to be with. We're talking life and death decisions in a place that is just simply not pretty.

The end of Fallen leaves of with the reuniting of Emma with her family. She leaves behind someone she's grown attached to and does what is right and honorable. But now her life in Europe has followed her to Canada -
Joanne
This is a story of survival in a dystopian, post-apocolyptic world. A man-made 'fog' has been released on the world, destroying life as we know it and in its wake, survivor's have gained varied psychic powers.

Emma's life is complicated shes in love with Arthur who she met in Europe, while still being married to Haywood. A man clinging to what they once had and the strength of having a family with her.

When her daughter Beth is grabbed by raiders, Emma treks through the frozen barren Canadian wild
The BookWhisperer
Book two for the After Trilogy. With the heart stopping conclusion with Emma’s husband arrival to bring her home was completely unexpected. While I am completely understanding to the guilt and responsibility Emma feels for her family is unbelievable. I would hope that I would be a loyal person to my family in such a situation, but the feeling and emotion Slatton wraps in these pages has me questioning Emma loyalty. What is the right answer? I honestly DO NOT KNOW. What I do know, is that after t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The 5 Moons of Tiiana (The Chronicles of Rez Cantor, #1)
  • Days of Love and Blood
  • Mers
  • Blue Violet (Svatura, #1)
  • The Reluctant Countess
  • The Reflections of Queen Snow White
  • Catalyst (The Passage of Hellsfire, #1)
  • Martyr's Moon (War of Whispers, #2)
  • Black Throne Conspiracy
  • Fading Into Magic (Fading Into Magic, #1)
  • Riser (The Riser Saga, #1)
  • The Escape Diaries (Life and Love on the Lam, #1)
  • Chasing Vegas
  • Dark Mind
  • Revenge of the Mad Scientist (Airship Adventure Chronicles #1)
  • One Little White Lie
  • Ghostly Summons
  • Hero of My Heart
Traci L. Slatton, author of FALLEN and COLD LIGHT, is a graduate of Yale and Columbia. She lives in Manhattan, and her love for Renaissance Italy inspired her historical novel IMMORTAL and her contemporary vampire art history mystery THE BOTTICELLI AFFAIR. FALLEN is the first in a romantic trilogy set during the end times; COLD LIGHT and FAR SHORE further the dystopian tale. DANCING IN THE TABERNA ...more
More about Traci L. Slatton...

After Trilogy (3 books)