Start by marking “Incursion” as Want to Read:
Incursion

Incursion

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  603 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
When the local authorities ask Kyle Juenger to hunt a shape-shifting Glyrinny spy, he can't refuse. After all, he can use the reward to replace his paralyzed legs with cyberware, and maybe even to return to his home planet. Besides, he hates the morphs-those invasive, brain-eating monstrosities whose weapons cost him his legs.

Kyle's best lead is the Scorpion, a mercenary s
Published July 9th 2012 by Riptide Publishing (first published July 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Incursion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Incursion

My Fair Captain by J.L. LangleyDark Space by Lisa HenryThe Englor Affair by J.L. LangleyGravitational Attraction by Angel MartinezEvenfall by Santino Hassell
Best Gay Science Fiction Romance
21st out of 316 books — 540 voters
Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
93rd out of 614 books — 1,449 voters

More lists with this book...

Blacky *Romance Addict*
This was fantastic Photobucket

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I don't usually (ever) read Sci-Fi books, and after finishing Incursion I can honestly say I'm a freaking idiot and should mentally bitch-slap myself Photobucket

The story - Kyle is a retired hunter with a severe spinal injury done by a vicious enemy weapon. A military commander hires him to hunt down a fugitive enemy, in exchange for money and possibly a new prosthesis for his legs. He accepts and infiltrates Scorpion, a spaceship full of mercenaries, and the only lead he has on the ene
Monique ~ Sinfully
Dec 15, 2012 Monique ~ Sinfully rated it really liked it
Mr Voinov wrote it, and I loved it...

95138610848314989_eNEQnDGy_c

I am always in awe of Aleksandr Voinov's writing... as a writer he is... Ohhh. So. Very. Clever. He has the ability to tempt us... a slow seduction of words alone, and Incurrsion, even though it is not in his "dark" category, which I love, It is still evidence of a master at work.

We join our main character Kyle, six weeks after he was injured by a Glyrinny disruptor that left the nerves in his spine damaged. Now, with an implant in his spine and prosthetics
Aleksandr Voinov
Oct 21, 2015 Aleksandr Voinov added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelley
I have a confession to make. The only reason I read this is because it's written by Aleksandr Voinov.
Yes, it's the man with the sexiest name in literary history ever. I am in love with him, I love what lies in his mind. I want to climb inside, roll around and purr forever.
Netgalley wouldn't give me any of Aleksandrrrr's other books to review..pft! Whatever Rachel!
So this was all I got, and it's Sci-fi!!! I DO NOT read sci-fi . I never have, but for Aleksandr... I will. For you Aleksandr I will
Lena♥Ribka

4,5 I-CAN'T-GET-ENOUGH-OF-VOINOV STARS!!!!!!!!!

I am not tired to repeat it again and again:
ALEKSANDR VOINOV is something very special:

you read one of his book and you are "infected" with V.
It may have a mild character but most likely you’ll get it bad, be prepared even to have it chronically.

His writing- Grammy, I like your comparison with potato chips!- is like a revelation for me.
It is like a chocolate, heavenly sweet and delightfully bitter.
It is like the best wine, the best meal, th
Ingela
Written October 18, 2014

3.3 Stars - Interesting and thought-provoking. -
Got a taste of it, but it ended too soon.

Incursion is a short (76 pages) Aleksandr Voinov sci-fi. It felt like a perfect story for me, usually liking sci-fi / dystopia worlds. (Lena also recommended it a while ago.)

Just three stars to a AV story ?!?
It felt like I just had got every other page. This wasn't a weak, bad or not well written story. I just didn't "feel" it as much as I hoped for.

Interesting dreamy sci-fi. Too sho
Jul 13, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
I’m pretty sure I have made this clear, but I’ll say it again. Alexsandr Voinov can rip my heart and soul to shreds with one line. He has created characters and worlds that will remain with me, pulled emotion out of me when no other writer or work could, and can inspire me to read a story again and again to absorb the power and layers of emotion and meaning. And...

He has done it again, but with a blast of fun this time!

After being paralyzed from the waist down, Kyle Juenger lost his active mili
DayDreamer
4.5
Holy shit.
Strong, inspirational, full of hope. It made me sad that it ended. There just has to be more.

What is it with fiction that makes me rebel against set systems and want them to change/be destroyed? For almost every world built in the last 50 or something books. Again. And again. Even knowing a perfect world is not possible (and boring as heaven) doesn't stop me from thinking that the exact order is wrong and needs changing.

Whatever. My rambling stops here.

Highly recommended.

ETA: (view
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
Jan 15, 2013 Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, humans, healing, self identity
~~~

A very clever book, with a very clever title.

Kyle is every human.

Grimm is potential.

Every human needs potential.

This is a profound and profoundly beautiful effort by a masterful writer, who has time and again caused me to look within and discover new truths about myself and humanity. Damn Voinov for his incursion of me.

I had a long, descriptive review typed out for this book, but it just isn’t necessary. My review is simply to tell anyone, who will listen, to read-this-book. For yourself.

"
julio
Feb 27, 2014 julio rated it liked it
Fun.

Fun universe. Fun characters. Fun plot.

*sigh*

Over too soon.
Macky ~ Sinfully Gay Romance Book Reviews
I love a good Sci - Fi story, even better, this is m/m and then icing on the cake its written by Mr Voinov so that makes it way past just good, it makes it exceptional!
Wow! What a trip this read was. The world building was so vivid that I felt I was watching a top quality space opera ...its broken hero on a mission, intrigue, espionage shape shifting double agents , bustling space ports and a renegade space ship filled with its interesting but motley crew.

Kyles character the tough ex soldier w
Irina
Voinov does it again!

Enemies-to-lovers story. But this time it's also Sci-Fi. Or rather Sparks-Fly.

Why, oh why is it so short though? I would have liked a chance to get to know this couple better so much! This felt like a sample of something that could be really delicious.

Mr Voinov, is there any chance you're planning on a sequence to this story, please? I'm sure these two guys have a lot of ground to cover and adjustments to do building their relationship. It would be nice to see Kyle recoveri
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Jul 09, 2012 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, rainbow-gay
So good. This story takes place in the same universe of Dark Edge of Honor. There is less focus on the political aspects and more on the different races inhabiting it. I am not an expert of science fiction, but I really enjoyed it here.

This is Kyle's story. Kyle was injured and crippled by a Glyrinny weapon, which destroyed his nerves, and made him unable to walk without prosthetics, impotent and destitute. Stripped of his job and his pride, he is asked to perform a mission to access better surg
Amara
Jul 03, 2012 Amara rated it it was amazing
In an Amara word… fantabulous.

I have a confession to make. I’m not a big sci-fi lover. It’s a genre I rarely read. But… far be it for me to let a Voinov go by without getting my grabby little hands on it. Sci-fi or no Sci-fi.

I really loved this one. Voinov managed to pull me into his world, keep me intrigued, all without over sci-fi’ing me to death. Kudo’s on that.

One of the things I loved most about this one was the characters. Well written, fully fleshed out and intriguing. Damaged, rough aro
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
** Updated 9-12-15 to include audio book and additional story review. **

Reviewage on Prism Book Alliance

Story Review:

This is a deeply personal story. Most of all, for Kyle, the main character and through whose eyes and heart and body we experience what is surely only one of many journeys for him. His is the umbrella of a metaphor for all of the others contained within. They’re subtle but definite, gently nudging but undeniable and unmistakable. Self-acceptance, altering one’s thinking which lead
Kristalia
Oct 05, 2015 Kristalia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who wishes to read cool sci fi story :D
Final rating: 4/5 stars

This book was just...WOW. I didn't expect to like this book soooo much. But i am sad because it was just way to short for my tastes. The story itself was interesting, and i loved the writing. It kept me reading until i finally read it whole. And it's rare to find a sci-fi m-m book which was properly executed. And the ending (around 75%)! I sooooooooooo didn't see that one coming! I thought i knew who the shapeshifter was, but damn, i was wrong.

Anyway, the characters were a
Laura (Kyahgirl)
5/5; 5 stars; A+

Sci-fi, in particular, space opera is one of my favorite genres. I thought Incursion was a fantastic example of the genre. I enjoyed every aspect, from the science and technology to the romance, to the mystery. Aleksander Voinov creates characters that really touch me. The fact that he packed a complete story with fully developed characters into 68 pages is also a testament to his skill.

In the course of this fun adventure a lot of profound ideas were brought forth to the reader f
Anna  (Bananas!)
Mar 17, 2013 Anna (Bananas!) rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy-sci-fi
The last few pages tipped this from 3 to 4 stars for me. The hope and possibility of the ending, and most importantly the theme of becoming your true self, was very touching.
It started a bit slow, way too much world-building for a short work, but ultimately proved satisfying. And I love the idea of the Glyrinny species. I found them unique and truly beautiful.
Sofia
Oct 18, 2014 Sofia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I liked Incursion, set me thinking. I liked the writing in the first half better. In the second half more exciting stuff happened but it was hurried and I lost touch with Kyle.

So, what I got thinking about:

When we are born we, our spirit, comes together with an outer body which encases us, this outer body lives together with others in a society, a culture, a time, which further encases us. All the outer trappings come to define us, who we are, what we are and what we do. Incursion set
Christina
Jul 10, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, m-m

I'm a big fan of sci-fi, so needless to say Mr. Voinov's world totally intrigued me. The world parallels that of Dark Edge of Honor with the added bonus of shape-shifters and lots of space travel. Everything came alive, from the ship to the character's feelings and reactions. This was fun ride.

The story is told from Kyle's POV. Kyle was injured in the line of duty and left paralyzed. He cannot see beyond his "dead meat". He's stuck in a world of self-pity and where he has "become" his injury. W
Lenore

I liked Grimm. I got him. And Winter/Spring. She had something.

Kyle? He was a challenge. It's not that I didn't like him. It's that I didn't get him right, I think. There was something about him I kept missing. He reminded me of Brooklyn from Counterpunch but he lacked that cynic lustre. And I had some issues with his disability. Why he was chosen to hunt down Kshar in the first place and how he planned to overpower Kshar after their encounter at that hotel.

But I liked the world-building. I thi
Kaje Harper
Mar 29, 2016 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, scifi, short-story
4.5 stars. This book has excellent world-building, interesting characters with a lot of issues and imperfections, and a well-designed plot. The only reason it wasn't five stars for me was that it felt a bit short. I guess like so many of this excellent writer's stories, I wasn't ready to let these guys go, which is more compliment than flaw.
Sheri
Apr 03, 2014 Sheri rated it it was amazing

I like Sci-fi. I love Aleksandr Voinov.
AV + Sci-fi= guaranteed winner, right?
So, why have I not read this yet? That is a very good question. I am ashamed to say, I forgot about it. Cursed electronics that allow me to stockpile books to such a degree is disgraceful. I take that back, I’m pretty attached to my Kindle.

Here we have classic Voinov: the characters are exceptionally solid, the world-building fabulous, and the emotions ran at full throttle.

Close your eyes, take a breath, and prepare
Therese
Mar 21, 2014 Therese rated it it was amazing
Wow, this was brilliant!
I love books (or in this case novellas) that make me feel like I am actually watching a movie. Since reading gives you so much more, this mixed experience is just fantastic!

Incursion was exactly this for me. It was the bastard child of Firefly/Serenity and District 9, with a DNA slash of Terminator (mostly because Kyle Reese is so hot...).
(view spoiler)
¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧ •°**★
This Was A Uniquely Clever All Nighter...Ugh...I Need Coffee

But it was oooh so worth it....

Damn book sucked me right in...I started this book close to midnight thinking I would just read a few pages and go to bed...LOL... I forgot this is a Voinov book~A New Favorite Author of Mine Yes, come morning it was OMG, WTF time is it!

Ah GAWD...I have to work...My Bad, but jeez, this book sucked me right in.

It is toooo short but, omg..the world building is spectacular~

The Clever stuff...hummm(view s
Jess
Dec 04, 2012 Jess rated it really liked it
I hate it when people give 1 star ratings and have never read the book - I prefer to be optimistic ;)

Review to come - when I have actually READ the book :D

Finally read this book :)

I really enjoyed it but it feels kind of unfinished to me. I believe that there should be a sequel because I am still left with a bundle of questions. I want to know how the 'relationship' develops and how it does in such a species that sees with vibrations.

I actually think the sex would be spectacular and totally diff
Vivian
Aug 27, 2012 Vivian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, romance, own
Smart and sexy sci-fi featuring cybernetics, genetic engineering, and some spot on social commentary on governmental treatment of ex-military personnel. Fast paced and interesting introduction to a crew of characters that made me greedy and want. I hope there's more to Kyle and Kshar's story than this epic setup.
Bookwatcher
Jul 19, 2012 Bookwatcher rated it it was amazing
"Just because a man lacks the use of his eyes doesn't mean he lacks vision.
Stevie Wonder

What you would do, to be (feel) whole again?
it's a trick question, but it's the essence of this story...

Kyle can't walk... can't be himself (or what he consider his old-self) any longer. After an attack with an alien weapon he lost the ability to walk. But as himself will say, it's more than that... he is frustrated because he desire, but can't have an active sex life anymore... he's alternative is have imp
Barb Gilmour
Jul 06, 2012 Barb Gilmour rated it it was amazing
4.5.... Oh what the heck - why deal in halves?? Full 5 Stars for Aleks!!

Kyle Juenger is Tamenean by birth, he left his home planet, to join the military - which included a stint as a Hunter Five some 15 years earlier. Six weeks ago he was badly injured and forced to retire. He's broke - financially and physically - his legs, and his sex drive, paralysed by a Glyrinny weapon. It's his past as a Hunter Five that gets him this gig from the Sector Commissar; to find his target - a Glyrinny double ag
Tina
Mar 24, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction

Another awesome story from the master of the pen. I must confess that I'm not really keen on reading SciFi, but the story and the blurb gripped me right away, so I gave it a try. The world building was well-elaborated and after a few pages I was hooked. :)

The story delivered a deep message that pulled me in and kept me on my toes. I was completely caught up in Kyle’s mission to find the Glyrinny spy and hoped so much it wasn’t who he thought it might be. *sigh*

The plot was intriguing but left me
  • Fragile Bond
  • Break and Enter (Red Cell #1)
  • Something New Under the Sun (Falling Sky, #2)
  • Bone Rider
  • Santuario (Santuario, #1)
  • No Boundaries
  • All Wrapped Up
  • Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts (Claimings, #1)
  • Gravitational Attraction
  • Striker (The Valespian Pact #2)
  • Outcast Mine
  • Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)
  • Line and Orbit (Root Code, #1)
  • Storms and Stars
  • First Watch
  • When You Were Pixels (Syntax #0.1)
  • Aliens, Smith and Jones
  • One Breath One Bullet (The Borders War, #1)

“He understood it then. The potential, the utter, unbelievable freedom to be whoever existed underneath his skin.” 15 likes
“He could sense Kshar underneath, and he knew he'd be able to sense him in whatever body. Unchanged, genuinely him.” 4 likes