Start by marking “The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)

The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew #3)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  11,699 ratings  ·  342 reviews
While trying to help a friend out of a difficulty, Nancy has a perilous experience in and around a deserted bungalow, from which only her bravery and quick thinking save her.
Published September 1st 1991 by Applewood Books (first published January 1st 1930)

To ask other readers questions about The Bungalow Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bungalow Mystery

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Hidden Staircase by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn KeeneThe Sign of the Twisted Candles by Carolyn KeeneThe Whispering Statue by Carolyn Keene
Nancy Drew Mystery Stories
6th out of 74 books — 66 voters
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineA Little Princess by Frances Hodgson BurnettAnne of Green Gables/Anne of Avonlea by L.M. MontgomeryThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Great Books For Young Girls
19th out of 96 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Madeline
I will probably never get over my girl-crush on Nancy Drew, and this book just confirms that fact. Which is not to say that the series is flawless and beyond criticism - kinda the opposite, really. One thing I've learned from re-reading some of these books as an adult is that whenever you start one, you have basically a fifty-fifty chance of ending up with 190 pages of dated, stupid crap. But this time, I was lucky. This book rocked. That being said, it doesn't escape from the flaws that personi ...more
Jeremy Preacher
This is a comparative review of the 1930s and 1950s editions of this book - if you get a chance to read them side-by-side, I very strongly recommend it.

Of the three books I've read comparatively, this one diverges the furthest. Points of difference include:

- In the 50s edition, the guardian is accompanied by his wife - which makes the whole thing much less sinister. They also don't behave nearly as villainously.

- The 50s version introduces an entire subplot where Nancy is helping with a bank fra
Lisa
Apr 01, 2008 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who think story + context = synergy
It's so hard to rate these books. It's all about context. But which context? I read them as a young reader, age eight or so, in the early 1980s. They were written in the 1930s, rewritten in the 1960s to contemporize them, and in some cases, rewritten again. Oh, and then there were the ones contemporary to my era in the first place, though I don't remember those well. Carolyn Keene was never a real person...if I researched the context of author, how much more would I understand these books?

Part o
Hannah
Read in tandum the original and revised editions:

Original
The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) by Carolyn Keene
Published 1930
25 chapters / 204 pages
Plot synopsis: Nancy sets out to help a young orphan whose legal guardian is not all he appears.

Revised
The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) by Carolyn Keene
Revised 1960
20 chapters / 180 pages
Plot synopsis: Nancy sets out to help a young orphan whose legal guardians (a married couple) are not all they appear. An intersecting side plot involves a bank securities embezzlement case that Nancy is assisting her father with.

***
2012 personal reading challenge f
John Yelverton
Yet another excellent addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
Kristine Pratt
Action! Adventure! Suspense! And is that a hint or romance, Nancy? Who is this Don fellow, and wil we be seeing more of him? Or should I ask if YOU will be seeing more of him?

Ah, I do still love Nancy Drew. Some things I think are impossible to outgrow. Is the writing fabulous? Not by a longshot, but it gets the job done, giving you a tale that is interesting and full of twists and turns. Of course the two cases introduced at the beginning of the book have to be connected, some things you just s
Tabi34
In my quest to read (re-read) all of the Nancy Drew mysteries this year, I have just completed The Bungalow Mystery. I remember reading this one when I was a kid. Once again, it boggles my mind how dependent I've become on my cell phone. Every time Nancy goes off to investigate or sleuth as she calls it, I keep thinking - use your cell phone. Her car breaks down, today she'd be whipping out the cell phone and calling Triple A or using her GPS. Because Nancy doesn't have these modern day devices, ...more
Tammy
What a delight! This is the first Nancy Drew book I've read and although some of the language is somewhat outdated and old fashion I couldn't put it down!!! Suspense and action packed from the first page! Why didn't I start reading these earlier? It was grand!
Tarissa
A great Nancy Drew mystery! I devoured it in one evening. The plot twists had perfect timing. I love that Nancy solves her own mysteries while assisting her father with his predicaments. An enjoyable read!
Phair
Our f2f group did a session where we all read one or more original editions of a Nancy Drew as well as the 1960s revised version. Some of us even read one or more of the most recent Nancy Drew series books. We then had a "compare and contrast" discussion that was lots of fun. Very interesting changes in style, characterizations & sociological aspects.

Bungalow was the title where I read both versions. I did not enjoy the 1930 Bungalow as much as the '31 Red Gate Farm. Still it was exciting.
Stewie's Mom
Jun 02, 2011 Stewie's Mom added it
Shelves: may-2011
I read all the Nancy Drew books as a pre-teen girl back in the 1970's. I loved them then, and now as an adult over 40 years old, I am enjoying them all over again!

I discussed the speaking-style of Nancy and her companions with a friend of mine and we both forgot how proper the speech was! I have been enjoying the good, clean mystery of the past, but I really had been thinking the books had been written in the early 1950's. I was imagining something along the lines of "Leave It To Beaver" timefra
Jill
Oct 13, 2008 Jill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nancy Drew, or Mystery Fans of all Ages
Recommended to Jill by: I'm a Nancy Drew Fan From Way Back
The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, Book 3)
by Carolyn Keene
Edition: Hardcover

A Creepy Feeling, September 8, 2008

The Bungalow Mystery
Book 3 Nancy Drew

I have read this book several times in my lifetime. My first time was as an eighth-grader. Next, I read Nancy Drew while raising my girls. I'm now on the third-go-around. This time, I listened to the book on CD, and found it as exciting as ever.

Nancy and her friend, Helen Corning, are on vacation at a resort. When they take a boat out on the wat
Kit
Fast and fun read

I definitely loved the mystery better in this one than the others. I know these books aren't super amazingly written but I still thoroughly enjoy reading them. I love seeing the differences in how people spoke between them and now etc too.
David Firth
Dated language and portrayals, but an enjoyable time with my 10 yr old daughter -- who loved it.
Carol
Book club decided on a Nancy Drew mystery for this month. Interesting....
Elaine
This is the first Nancy Drew book I ever read. E's been going through them very quickly, she loves them, so I wanted to see what she was reading. I must admit, it was better than I thought it would be. There's danger, suspense, and action. The pacing is good-there's never a dull moment! Realistically, an 18 year old girl probably wouldn't and shouldn't sneak into some stranger's house to investigate some potentially dangerous people, but hey, it's fiction, and keeps it exciting. This one had som ...more
Madyson
I listened to the audio book and followed along and it was AMAZING! I loved it! It was like what's going to happen in some parts but it always turned out really really great!
Kirsten
From the previous novels this one seems a lot more modern. No where near nowadays but the Drews' house now had a dishwasher, and Nancy took a course in automotive repair...Also Don Cameron, a classmate of Nancy's from highschool also enters the dating scene as he asks Nancy to go with him to a bbq being held in honour of Don's sister's upcoming marriage to Bill Bent. Her friend Helen Corning still features in this novel as well as a new friend Laura Pendleton. This time we also meet Aunt June Co ...more
Ruby

I thought I should read this childhood book again. Mildred Wit aka Caroline Keene gives an intriguing mystery for our teen sleuth to solve. When Nancy is saved by a rich, orphaned girl in a storm, she has no idea that they will become bonded by a mystery of her suspicious new guardians who are not what she expected.
Heart-warming and ageless, this story can never be read too many times.
Nancy Drew reporting for duty!

The Story.

Nancy Drew was out on Twin Lakes with her friend, Helen Corning, when it happened – a squall arose which threatened to tip them over and drown them! Thankfully, another girl was out boating and heard their cries for help. Upon rescuing them, she introduced herself as Laura Pendleton and the three became fast friends.

But all is not right with Laura – her mother died and left her in the care of a couple whom she apparently trusted, but who strike Nancy as un
Rebecca
I loved Nancy Drew with all my heart. This is the first one I've read since middle school. I'm going to read my favorites so I started with this one. Although disappointing, I see why I liked. Lots of descriptions of Nancy's clothes, I loved her checking in hotels by herself and how perfect she was. This was funny because I now notice how the bad people have 'beady eyes' and are named things like Stumpy. Bad people cars are black and foreign. After Nancy almost drowned, she checked her waterproo ...more
Lauren
Another fun Nancy Drew mystery! This story was definitely more engaging than The Hidden Staircase, and the characters were a little bit more enjoyable, if generally vanilla and one-dimensional. The title isn't quite as relevant to the mystery as most of the other installments are, the bungalow really wasn't very significant, and per the usual, everything was neatly wrapped up during a typical rant from the "bad guy" at the end of the book. It felt a lot like a Scooby Doo, with similar comments o ...more
Book Him Danno
I read most of this series in my early teens, or my tweens years. I loved the relationship she had with her friends and with Ned. Nancy has a life I think I would have enjoyed. My own car? Yeah! No mom, no.
Lauren
Things I learned while reading this book:

1. Criminals are stupid but grateful to those who apprehend them.
2. Criminals have stupid names like Stumpy.
3. It's totally ok to avail oneself of the residence of another person if you have an emergency, and don't have to worry about the homeowners assuming you are an intruder (you are) and shooting you. Especially if you're a white girl.
4. It's totally normal to appoint someone you've never met as the guardian of your child in the event of your death.
mal-mal
i loved this book sooooo much!!!!!! i loved the ending. it surprosed me sooo much. usually i would always know how a book would end especially a nancy drew book but not this time!!!!!
Karen
I picked this up at the library because it said it was the original story printed in 1930. I’m sure I read the 1957 reprinting.

The first page is basically a disclaimer from the publisher saying that readers may be “extremely uncomfortable” with the stereotypes and racial language used. I didn’t see any racial language in this particular story and while I was always impressed by Nancy when I read the books as a child, I had to laugh at the fact that she didn’t do any sleuthing to solve this part
Darcy Stewart
Simon
I've read this book dozens of times before and I still love it.

The delivery of the plot and how problems present themselves is kind of old school, but hey, the books were published in the 30's, then re-published in the 60's. I think it is safe to say that we ought to leave the classic nature of these books and just poke the obvious once and a while.

Clearly now-a-days, the crimes that were committed in this book are nearly impossible. That is not to say that it can't happen, it is just going to h
Jami Lowe
I read the revised 1960's one apparently.

simple mystery, simple plot, simple characters, simple dialog. prefect for kids 8 to 12. really a happy-go-lucky sort of feeling from the book. everyone is very polite to each other. the good guys feel bad for the bad guys and save them when they get hurt. there are many christlike gestures in the book, which is refreshing to see because every thing in this day and age is about getting back at someone else. even one of the bad guys said they felt bad abo
Kami
- These books are just plain old fashioned fun!

- I love that each book is a different kind of mystery. The last book was a ghost mystery, and this one was more dangerous.

- I think Nancy is getting more inquisitive and bold with each case she solves. She almost has no boundaries on what she will do for clues. I enjoy seeing our young sleuth grow as a detective.

- Like I said, this book was filled with more dangers. It had more action in it! The book starts out with Nancy almost drowning, and it i
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Mystery at Mead's Mountain (Trixie Belden #22)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4) The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)

“Chuckling to herself, Nancy said aloud, "Romance and detective work won't mix tonight!” 23 likes