The Vermont Papers: Recreating Democracy on a Human Scale

The Vermont Papers: Recreating Democracy on a Human Scale

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  1 review
The Vermont Papers proposes a radical change in government. The authors are passionate advocates of such basic American values as self-reliance, tolerance, community aid, diversity, and liberty. Their subject is the plight of democracy in America. They argue that Vermont can show the rest of the nation how to govern itself democratically in the next century.

Bypassed by the...more
Published September 1st 1990 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company (first published September 1st 1989)

Jared
Mar 04, 2008 Jared rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to learn more about Vermont and/or possibilities for human-scale democracy
This is the second book (after Believing Cassandra by Alan Atkisson) that transformed the way I thought about the world and thus changed the way I lived my life as a result.

The beginning of the book has some wonderful Vermont history that only expanded my appreciation for my home state. This book is definitely a must read for anyone from Vermont or thinking about moving there.

More than that though, I think that the core ideas about "real democracy" that may seem specific to Vermont are really...more
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Todd Zimmer
Todd Zimmer marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Dmitry Tweritin
Dmitry Tweritin marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Deshapriya Nanayakkara
Deshapriya Nanayakkara marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
Avid
Avid marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2012
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2011
Bryan
Bryan added it
Nov 13, 2011
Steven Farmer
Steven Farmer marked it as to-read
May 01, 2011
Jimelle
Jimelle marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2011
Randall
Randall is currently reading it
Nov 10, 2010
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2009
Zo
Zo marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2008
P.S.
P.S. marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2008
The Vermont Owner's Manual Real Vermonters Address Bk The Vermont Quiz Book Readings In American Government Real Democracy: The New England Town Meeting and How It Works