Start by marking “Louisa the Poisoner” as Want to Read:
Louisa the Poisoner

Louisa the Poisoner

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Raised in a swamp by a mad witch, poor Louisa grew up with one goal in mind: to marry a wealthy man, then inherit his lands and money by whatever means it takes. And Louisa may well succeed, for she is a stunning beauty with the manners of an angel. At last she sets off to make her fortune . . . and with the help of her vial of undetectable poison, she soon finds her first...more
80 pages
Published (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Louisa the Poisoner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louisa the Poisoner

Eden
Told in the style of Grimm’s fairy tales, this short novel is a dark fantasy with a delightful attitude. The story follows Louisa, a penniless yet beautiful girl raised in the marshes on her mission to gather wealth by means of marrying wealthy men and then murdering them with an untraceable poison.

I found this in my quest to add more Tanith Lee to my collection. No one can have too much Tanith Lee, and I have woefully little. She is favourite author of mine, though there is much of her work I h...more
Tommy
What's not to like, if you're a Tanith Lee fan? It's short, really a novella, and reminds me of "Vivia," or one of her other stories about an icy woman with seemingly no moral compass. Tanith breaks a lot of so-called "rules" about fiction writing, but it doesn't matter because she creates characters so fascinating that I want to read about them, even if they're horrible and cold. Louisa is brought up in the swamp by an herbalist who teaches her the fine art of poisoning, and Louisa then finds a...more
Kim Falconer
A wonderfully gruesome tale told in a kind of high English voice. Think of a dark Jane Austin nightmare and how. Tanith Lee must be one of the most diverse speculative fictions authors around. She's an inspiration. I love her work!
Rebecca
I like anything by Tanith Lee and this book is no exception. Louisa the Poisoner is like an updated version of a Grim fairy tale but more believable because Louisa seems like an actual sociopath than someone who turns into a wolf during certain lunar events.

This is more novella than novel, and rather dark, but I enjoyed it. I only wish Lee's books were easier to get here in the United States.
Deanna Jamero
What a twist! . . . Eh?

I own an indecent amount of Tanith Lee books and this one lacks the richness and depth of imagery as her other books. Still good and a keeper for my library.

It's a story of an isolated beautiful young woman who was trained by her archetypal witch of an aunt on how to put on airs from a book of etiquette. Living in the swamp, there's no appropriate audience for this skill but she adopts it as if she were born aristocracy.

Enter the poison that earns her her title. After deal...more
Bethany
Tanith Lee writes the best creepy fairy/folk tales! Louisa the Poisoner is a short and delightfully morbid read. I need to read more of Lee's work; she's done so much.
Katie
This was more of a short story than a novel. Ido enjoy Tanith Lee's books, but I feel that she could have fleshed this out a bit more.
Thane Eichenauer
I was captured by this dark tale. I wanted to put the book away for good. I am happy that I completed reading this book.
Michelle
A fun to read quick dark fairy tale. A perfect one day read.
Karl
This is copy 13 of 300 signed numbered copies.
Seikaiha
I like the concept but the ending is kind of weak. But I like it anyway at least as a great fan of her Flat Earth tales, if you get my meaning, though I remember reading something similar before.
Arthur
I love this story. It descends deeply into the very foggiest memories. An easy read and fit for general readers of all kinds of mysteries and era stories. It doesn’t have a strong eventful opening in Lousia’s life for beginners. But she has been exploited as an individual and is explored by a public who mean in such opinions as of man of court since there required evidences of death.
Tammy
From the title, you do she did it, but will she get away with it? Old English style of writing though, which I like but isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Marita
Sep 08, 2008 Marita rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marita by: Bill Davis
This books lists itself as a historical fantasy. I'd say horror. Only redeeming quality was that it was clean and short otherwise a waste.
Irina
A fairy tale of the darker sort. Such a cold and morally bereft protagonist.
Elizabeth Škec
Loved it but it is more of a novella. I wanted more.
Stephanie Manson
A fun, dark fairytale of a story.
Jack
An Edward Gorey drawing in novel form!
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Lucy Mason
Lucy Mason marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Lani
Lani marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Tanith Lee is a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She is the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She has also written four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a...more
More about Tanith Lee...
Wolf Tower (Claidi Journals, #1) Wolf Star (Claidi Journals #2) Wolf Queen (Claidi Journals, #3) Black Unicorn (Unicorn, #1) White as Snow

“She was what an aristocrat should be, porcelain and silk, unreachable, gracious, untainted by the dust of all this common death.” 4 likes
“Pale beauty stands aghast,” he said, “at the vulgar ugliness of men.” 3 likes