Start by marking “Heir of Sea and Fire (Riddle-Master, #2)” as Want to Read:
Heir of Sea and Fire (Riddle-Master, #2)

Heir of Sea and Fire (Riddle-Master #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  4,611 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Second book in this fantasy trilogy; which also includes "The Riddle-Master of Hed" and "Harpist in the Wind."
Mass Market Paperback, 161 pages
Published March 12th 1980 by Del Rey Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Heir of Sea and Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heir of Sea and Fire

Jim
McKillip pulled off a real coup with this book. The first one was told from the typical male hero POV & it was excellent. Instead of keeping that same POV, she switches to another character, a strong woman at that. Fantastic, especially given the time. Off hand, I can't think of another trilogy that did this & certainly not so well. It allows her to fill in the world & develop characters that rounds everything out. It also puts a real point on the love interest & drives it in dee ...more
C. Owen
The ‘Heir of Sea and Fire’ is perhaps my favorite fantasy book of all. (‘The Forgotten Beasts of Eld’ is serious competition for title.) It is a little unusual for the second book of a trilogy to be the strongest, but that is the case here. I found the book richer, faster paced, and more vivid than the first book in the trilogy (or the third). It takes your deeper into the world and shows you more of its secrets—and its bones.

Then there is Raederle (“the second most beautiful woman of An”), sur
Noah
More of a 4.5 than a 4 (out of five). McKillip's writing, I believe, improved since "The Riddlemaster of Hed," though also did some small part of the mysteriousness. One of the brilliant aspects of the first part of the trilogy, for me, was the acuteness that McKillip's writing found in the abstract and the wordless and although this novel got at some very interesting aspects of the world, I don't think it was as effective as the original. Still, Raederle came out to be a very interesting charac ...more
Robert Beveridge
Patricia A. McKillip, Heir of Sea and Fire(Ace, 1977)

McKillip's follow-up to The Riddle-Master of Hed somewhat surprisingly avoid the middle-novel-of-the-trilogy doldrums, which is a welcome change from most fantasy trilogies, and it does so in a somewhat novel way; rather than continuing on with the story of Morgon, the hero of the first novel, McKillip focuses on Raederle, Princess of An and Morgon's betrothed, who sets out to find out what happened to Morgon at the end of the first book. (As
Sheryl Tribble
A friend of mine in high school loaned me The Riddle Master of Hed, which I devoured rapidly and then demanded he loan me the next one. Heir of Sea and Fire also ended on a cliff hanger, and when I demanded the third, my friend blithely replied, "It isn't out yet. I needed someone else to suffer with me."

I Was Enraged. Then I pulled the same stunt on my sister, because I am evil.

Finishing it this time, my response was more a puzzled, "Huh. That isn't much of a cliffhanger." Different ages, diff
Onefinemess
As far as faults go (might as well start with the bad), this book suffered from the same strange malady I remembered from the first book - there were, occasionally, scenes that I just couldn't make sense of. A paragraph or three that I would read three or four times then finally shrug and move on. These odd patches of editorial failure felt like I was missing a sentence, or even a paragraph. Like the author got lost in the richness of her words for a bit and forgot to fill in the blanks, and the ...more
Amanda Kespohl
I'm on book three right now and so far, I love these books beyond reason. I want to pull each of the characters out of the pages and hug them, then release them to go back about their business. This world is so beautiful and complex and rich that I could not stop turning the pages, even though I never wanted the books to end.

I'll do a more detailed write-up once I'm done with book three, but honestly, it would take a mighty plot catastrophe to make me change my opinion now. Basically, to make m
Francesco
Vote: 3,75
Class: L-A2 (FP)

(second book of the Riddlemaster Trilogy)

The first book was an enjoyable reading and little more and in this one it's slowly getting better: it's not that this is not a good Epic Fantasy, but... it's not in the same league of the great classics of the High Fantasy.

The world (3,50) is a fantasy world well built but it lacks... normality: when more than half the people we meet are several centuries (at least) old or are shape-shifter or are several years dead (but somewh
Valerie
The character of Raederle of An is not very well fleshed out in the first volume of this trilogy. She's seen in people's memories, mostly as a hopelessly romanticized object of desire, a sort of princess on a hill of glass type.

That's remedied in this volume almost from the first line: "In Spring, three things came inevitably to the house of the King of An: the first shipment of Herun wine, the Lords of the Three Portions for the Spring Council, and an argument."

It's not amazing that Raederle w
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Feb 17, 2012 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of High Fantasy
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: A Reader's Guide to Fantasy: Seven-League Shelf
Heir of Sea and Fire is the second book of the Riddle-Master Trilogy, and I liked it even more than the first book, The Riddle-Master of Hed. The trilogy was recommended on the "Seven-League Shelf" of the "cream" of the fantasy genre. It's fairly standard high-fantasy in being set in a quasi-medieval or renaissance setting of lords and swords with shapeshifters, wizards and ghosts. Morgon of Hed is a Farmer Prince and Riddle-master. In the first book we learn that he'd won a riddle-game that won ...more
Paul Fergus
An improvement over the first book, mainly because the protagonist is better developed and has more agency. The author finally has control of her writing style such that she can begin to let her ideas flow into the text with real imagination.

What surprised and delighted me was that this is a kind of girls' camping trip style of adventure. The main character decides to find out what happened to the man she was promised in marriage to, and brings along both the man's little sister and a warrioress
Audrey
Jul 11, 2013 Audrey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Audrey by: Beth, Quark
I'll try to do a more thorough review of this volume, but it's still highly subjective and less for others to get a sense of the book and more for me to have a record of what I thought upon reading it for the first time.

I'll caution you against spoilers in this review. If you haven't read the book, you may want to skip over it.

With that out of the way, I loved it. One of the main reasons I loved it? Raederle

From the first or second page, I loved her. I can't even say exactly what it was, but my
Mark
This second book of the Riddle-Master trilogy develops Raederle, promised in marriage to Morgon of Hed of the first book. However no one has seen hide nor hair of his Hed-ship, so worrying he may have lost his Hed, Raederle Heds off to look for him. Although she is not a part of any prophecy, Readerle finds her ancestry of kings and witches has gifted her with more power than she knew. Terrible, Dark Power with a Price. (sorry, I'm feeling a bit goofy.)

Seriously, this is a bit of a coming-of-ag
Karen Heuler
I love how magic works in this book--especially the winding of threads. It's thoughtful and no Disney wrist-waving with sparkles. Good stuff. And this is a book about a strong heroine committed to finding her husband-to-be, committed to finding the answer. Yet it didn't grab me totally. I lost some interest as I went along, and I think it's because of all the constant harassment, stress, fighting, etc. She seemed to be in a wheel with spokes that just kept spinning at her.
Catherine
Aug 04, 2008 Catherine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone.
Heir of Sea and Fire is the second book in Patricia McKillip's Riddle of Stars trilogy. In this book, we follow the exploits of Morgon the Prince of Hed's beloved Raederle, his sister, Tristan, and Lyraluthuin of Herun as they try to find out what happened to Morgon on his journey to see the High One. Although I typically don't care for trilogies that leave the main character I learned to love in the first book hanging, I enjoyed Heir of Sea and Fire almost as much as the Riddle Master of Hed fo ...more
Lara
Having reread the first book in this trilogy earlier this month, I couldn't wait to read the next book. This one takes place after the first and is from the perspective of the sister of Morgan's best friend and the woman he inadvertently won for marriage in the previous book. Morgan has been missing and Raederle takes it into her head to follow him to the High King. Along the way she makes new friends (characters from the 1st book) and learns about her own heritage and powers.

The relationship b
Roger Ladd
This book avoids the traditional sequel problem with a shift in protagonists, from Morgon of Hed to Raederle of An, his betrothed. The shift to a focus on a different gender works for the most part (including a fairly amusing 'Princess-palooza' sequence in the middle as Raederle acquires two other princesses along the way). As a second book in a trilogy, this novel resolves very few questions; it mostly adds more complications to the scenario set up in the first novel. It certainly takes one bac ...more
Michelle
Just as good as the first one. Such a rare feat for a second in a series. I loved having a heroine's perspective instead of the damaged hero. Loved it so much.
Esther
This is the weakest of the three, but what starts out as Raederle's attempt to find Morgon becomes instead an attempt to find herself. It is almost an interlude in the overall story, but without it, we can't get to the end.
Jonathan
Interesting, abstract and poetic. Very different from the typical fantasy.
Nick Benson
This is the second of a trilogy and follows a different character and she searches for the hero of the first. Alongside this quest is the need to discover who she is, what her true name is. As in "The Riddle Master of Hed' McKillip starts local in scale but then reasonably quickly gets more global. She's very good but this book feels as though its real purpose is to get things into place for the conclusion - it's less stand alone than the first - and I quite like it when stories stay local. Not ...more
Malrubius
Beautiful writing and imagery. Complex characters with deep emotion. But absolutely befuddling with regard to what if anything actually happened despite rereading several chapters. Seems to lack cause and effect.

Reread Feb 2014. I think the ending asks too much from the reader.
Panda99
A wonderful world to explore.
Drew
The second book switches narrators to Readerle, possibly the only character who could be more indecisive and angsty than Morgon was in the first book. Again, there's a lot of pages of traveling around to get to one brief conversation that is plot-relevant. The climax was solid though and this is still a pretty enjoyable old-school fantasy series in the vein of Tolkein or Morcock. Oh, and she managed not to use the word "mist" twice per paragraph which was a nice change from the first book.
Nick
The second book of the Riddle Master trilogy. This one cleverly builds suspense by focusing not on Morgon, the hero, but on the heroine, Raederle, destined to be his Consort, and equally powerful and mysterious in her own way. She may or may not be linked by her very nature with the forces of darkness and destruction. Or the real danger may lie closer to home. This is a book or riddles in a land where riddles are the way knowledge is transmitted from one generation to the next.
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
O_o Ms. McKillip books tend to take an odd turn for me. Her writing style is exquisite and lyrical. Her prose is very distinctive and her writing is quite tight. The worlds she builds are complex with layers of intrigue. I'm always a bit confused at what is going on because of how she twists her good and bad guys. Really, who is the good one and who is the bad one? This second book in the Riddle-Master series is no exception. I'm left at the end of the book going, huh.
Beth York
an all absorbing fantasy adventure that's truly sensational!
kvon
Book 2 of McKillip's first (and only) trilogy. The tone changes as the POV character turns to fiancee Raederle, who goes looking for the missing Morgon. She again travels through most all the lands, and sees most of the rulers, like collecting plot coupons. Her fear of her ancestry is not one I can understand, but she does let the black magic fly at the conclusion of the story. Still lyrical language. My least favorite in reminiscence of these books.
  • High Deryni (The Chronicles of the Deryni #3)
  • Tea with the Black Dragon (Black Dragon, #1)
  • The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock Series, #1)
  • Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1)
  • Dervish Daughter (Jinian, #2)
  • Three Hearts and Three Lions
  • Master of the Five Magics
  • The Ships of Air (The Fall of Ile-Rien, #2)
  • The Compleat Enchanter
Patricia Anne McKillip is an American author of fantasy and science fiction novels, distinguished by lyrical, delicate prose and careful attention to detail and characterization. She is a past winner of the World Fantasy Award and Locus Award, and she lives in Oregon. Most of her recent novels have cover paintings by Kinuko Y. Craft. She is married to David Lunde, a poet.

According to Fantasy Book
More about Patricia A. McKillip...
Riddle-Master: The Complete Trilogy (Riddle-Master, #1-3) The Forgotten Beasts of Eld The Riddle-Master of Hed (Riddle-Master, #1) Winter Rose (Winter Rose, #1) Harpist in the Wind (Riddle-Master, #3)