Start by marking “The Creation Records Story: My Magpie Eyes Are Hungry for the Prize” as Want to Read:
The Creation Records Story: My Magpie Eyes Are Hungry for the Prize

The Creation Records Story: My Magpie Eyes Are Hungry for the Prize

Founded by Alan McGee in 1983, Creation Records achieved notoriety as the home of Primal Scream, the Jesus and Mary Chain and other anti-Establishment acts. During the Britpop boom of the mid-90s, the astonishing success of Oasis brought Creation fame on the world stage. In 1999, however, McGee announced his shock departure as his label's influence over a generation of Bri ...more
Published November 1st 2001 by Virgin Publishing (first published October 19th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Creation Records Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Creation Records Story

Ben Winch
Jun 17, 2015 Ben Winch added it
Shelves: music
Anything that gives me more insight into the early years of the Jesus and Mary Chain is always going to get a thumbs up from me. This isn't a great book but it is essential for fans of Creation Records, being the only salient and exhaustive book on that subject so far produced. And it's not bad. The most important facts are there, and a whiff of the era, of the lifestyle. File it with The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle as a treatise on kamikaze rock management.
Jul 19, 2007 Tom rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: pop-pickers
The story of indie, told through the prism of Creation Records, gathered from many interviews with the musicians, scenesters, journalists and fans who were there on the way through.

It takes you on a long trip, starting with punk rock hitting Glasgow in 1976, leading through the many years of scuffling, Creation Records shoving out any old rough mix by The Jazz Butcher to have new product for "The Kids" to keep some turnover rolling for the business. Then Alan McGee has his breakthrough - he mee
MacDara Conroy
Jan 18, 2011 MacDara Conroy rated it liked it
The Oasis bits aside - they're as tiresome to read about as they are to look at or listen to - this is a fitting overview of a label that played a significant role in defining the independent music scene in the UK from the 1980s onwards. It's a bit rushed in the latter stages, but it's well worth a read for anyone interested in the machinations of the music industry.
Jun 29, 2016 Robert rated it it was amazing

One of the best music books dealing with a record label.

In the 80's young, bored Alan McGee started a label in order to put out music he liked. Little did he know that over the course of 20 or so odd years Creation would be a label that spawned a lot of game changers in the indie world.

Like all labels there were humble beginnings. Starting out with twee pop Creation built a repertoire of being the best label to have jangly music. As the 80's turned into the 90's McGee was getting luckier and s
May 03, 2015 K. rated it it was ok
I first got this book in uni and never finished it, and now I know why. Surprisingly dry and filled with sales figures and financial details. The introduction states the book was "commissioned" - does this explain the passionless tone? And I'm still in the dark about Emily and Les Zarjaz.
This book was 750+ pages. I feel that I wasted my April.
Nov 27, 2007 Mikebee rated it really liked it
not quite a juicy as i might have wanted, but with its scope being as wide as 'Creation Records' and Alan Mcgee, there's too much history to cover to get too detailed. that said, this is a fascinating account of Scottish nutter Mcgee's journey from surly music nerd to super rich and famous surly music nerd. hehe, i keed. worth it for all the goods on the Jesus & Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Primal Scream, Oasis & more. I particularly enjoyed the revelation that Kevin Shields ha ...more
Mar 26, 2008 Steven rated it really liked it
Shelves: faves
Although there wasn't nearly enough Slowdive esp. how Creation Records suddenly pulled-out its funding for their North American tour which the band paid for themselves (albeit in a much smaller/fewer city tour- where they were absolutely amazing in case you missed it) this book was still fascinating esp. for anyone who has had or has Creation bands take up consider playing time on the stereo and in the head.
Mar 28, 2007 Nate rated it liked it
Recommends it for: brit-pop fans
Shelves: biography, music, own

Great bio on Creation Records, although it's a little TOO thorough at times. Follows the rise and fall of Alan McGee's famous label, home to influential bands such as The Jesus and Mary Chain, Orange Juice, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine (who aren't featured nearly enough in this book), Oasis, and many others. Highly recommended to any fan of the brit-pop and shoegaze genres.
May 03, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing
An exhaustive, incredible telling of the history of Creation Records (and through it, much of the British indie scene). Spends much of its length discussing the lesser-known (and infinitely more interesting) early years of the label (The Loft for the win!). It was also nice to see The Legend! get the credit he deserves for his early contributions to Creation.
russell barnes
Oct 14, 2009 russell barnes rated it liked it
Recommends it for: rob m, lucy ferguson
Shelves: music
Second time round and it's a much better read: McGee is still an awful awful man, and a McGee wired on coke is ten times worse, but the benefits of hindsight make you realise he was much sharper than he's given credit for in terms of understanding where the music industry was going. A&R-wise though he was lucky - for every Oasis there were 12 Jasmine Minks.
Dec 08, 2007 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
I'm going to add my name to the overly long list of people who call this the best music biography of the last decade. It is a long long book and the obsessive details about the Jesus and Mary Chain, Ride, Primal Scream and My Bloody Valentine might be a bit much for some...but if you even halfway like 80s/90s indie, this book is insanely good.
Matt James
Jun 22, 2008 Matt James rated it liked it

An amazing book (until it gets to the bit where Oasis get famous). Reading about how much of a dick Guy Chadwick was (and probably still is) is great, as is Alan McGee's child-like fascination with the internet:

"...this Internet thing is really gonna kick off!"

Aug 07, 2012 Mark rated it liked it
Thorough history of the record label that dominated the Britpop years. A tale of junkies, geniuses, nutters, coke, lots of money, Primal Scream and Oasis. Noel Gallagher left Oasis while I was reading the book.
Sep 22, 2008 Keith rated it liked it
Really informative book about legendary UK record label: Creation Records. A bit lengthy, but has some good stories of popular label acts such as Oasis and Primal Scream.
Jul 03, 2008 James rated it liked it
Exhaustive analysis of Creation's business practices. Gives some interesting insights into Alan McGee's breakdown and the recording of MBV's Loveless!
Andrew Thompson
Mar 09, 2007 Andrew Thompson rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
Excellent and impartial account of the rise and fall of Creation Records and its charismatic owner Alan McGee. Much better than Paolo Hewitt's risible book.
Dec 07, 2010 christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe the best music book I've ever read. Something hilarious happens every five pages.
Count No Count
Jan 25, 2008 Count No Count rated it liked it
There has been a lot of cross-talk about the real cost of Loveless.
Jul 16, 2008 Brendan rated it it was amazing
Oasis resuscitate Creation, kill Britpop.
Mar 19, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
jeezuschrist, this book is thick.
Joshua Bails
Joshua Bails marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Kevin Smith
Kevin Smith rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Dave marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Jonesy_laaa marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Brock Manke
Brock Manke marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Wes marked it as to-read
Jair Ibarra
Jair Ibarra marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Heretogo marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
William marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Up-Tight: The Velvet Underground Story
  • Wreckers of Civilisation: The Story of COUM Transmissions and Throbbing Gristle
  • The Trouser Press Record Guide: The Ultimate Guide to Alternative Music
  • Industrial Culture Handbook
  • Awopbopaloobop Alopbamboom: The Golden Age of Rock
  • White Light/White Heat: The Velvet Underground day-by-day
  • Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD
  • How Soon Is Now? The Madmen & Mavericks Who Made Independent Music (1975-2005)
  • The Jesus and Mary Chain: Barbed Wire Kisses
  • Words and Music: A History of Pop in the Shape of a City
  • Soulsville, U.S.A.: The Story of Stax Records
  • No Wave
  • 20 Jazz Funk Greats
  • Your Band Sucks: What I Saw at Indie Rock's Failed Revolution (But Can No Longer Hear)
  • Der Klang der Familie